PDA

View Full Version : How do new SM chapters work?

Lupercal16
07-05-2009, 23:36
So all chapters are acquired to send 5% their Progenoid/Gene-seeds to the Adeptus Mechanicus. Whom monitor the health of chapters and eventually create a new chapter from collected/created Gene-seeds ever 50 some years simply put, correct?

Hydra Cordatus, the fallen world to chaos, is one of the only two planets in the galaxy that can store Gene-seeds?

I know how a SM recruited and created, but how does a newly created Chapter work? How are homeworlds, Chapter masters to lead their chapters, Fleets etc. and anything else I'm missing are chosen?

EDIT:
How do the newly made chapters are looked upon to older chapters and other Imperium forces? That is if all these questions exist or have been answered.

Archaon
08-05-2009, 08:59
So all chapters are acquired to send 5% their Progenoid/Gene-seeds to the Adeptus Mechanicus. Whom monitor the health of chapters and eventually create a new chapter from collected/created Gene-seeds ever 50 some years simply put, correct?

Hydra Cordatus, the fallen world to chaos, is one of the only two planets in the galaxy that can store Gene-seeds?

I know how a SM recruited and created, but how does a newly created Chapter work? How are homeworlds, Chapter masters to lead their chapters, Fleets etc. and anything else I'm missing are chosen?

EDIT:
How do the newly made chapters are looked upon to older chapters and other Imperium forces? That is if all these questions exist or have been answered.

The logical approach would be thus..

The Imperium decides to create a new Space Marine Chapter. It decides on a region where it should be based.. preferrably something where Marines can be trained, i.e. a Deathworld or other harsh conditions that are already populated and where humans tend to resist the climate/their planet thus "producing" good specimens that have chances of becoming a Space Marine.

Then it looks to Marine Chapters in the vicinity and asks them to provide Veteran Marines to train up the new recruits and form a command structure until the new Marines have sufficient experience and manpower to be able to function independently.

In the meantime the Imperium constructs or supplies all that a new chapter would need, i.e. armor (normal SM armor and Terminator armor), weapons, ships etc.

After about 50-100 years of training and carefully chosen missions (no last stand, desperate fight type of missions where big losses are expected) i think they should be able to stand on their own so the Veteran Marines return to their original chapters or maybe even stay if their Chapter Master allows it thus forming an experienced officer cadre.

As to how they are looked upon.. normal citizens and other Imperial Forces would regard them "normally", i.e. with the respect due to Space Marines. After all it takes quite something to even become a Space Marine.

Other chapters would be neutral at first i guess until they have proven themselves in battle and have their first heroic deeds they can tell. Maybe there are individual Marines of even entire chapters that are arrogant enough to regard them as being inferior.. even being a Marine doesn't entirely eliminate human nature.

Condottiere
08-05-2009, 10:03
Do they mix geneseed from chapters which don't originate from the same Legion?

Giant Fossil Penguin
08-05-2009, 14:37
Depending on what you are asking, there are 2 answers to this question.

1. If you mean, would they assign (just for the sake of an example) Black Templars and Sons of Orar to form a Chapter and then expect these guys to pass on their geneseed to other, new, Marines, then I don't think so. The geneseed has to be the same throughout the Chapter, probably as a unifying device, a way to make the Marines actual Battle Brothers; it also gived them a common genetic legacy that is a known quantity. If one Chapter had two-or-more geneseeds, then there would be arguments over which one should take precedence etc. Or so I'd imagine.

2. Do the High Lords and AdMech actually combine geneseed from two different Legions to make a whole new geneseed, and then use this to found a Chapter. The short answer is yes; there are individual Chapters, and whole Foundings, who have been raised with a mixed geneseed. However, if people try to make up a Chapter that uses this device, it is usually met with some resistance(though not from me).

I hope that this has been of some use; I hope I answered the question that you actually asked!!

GFP

Leftenant Gashrog
08-05-2009, 14:38
Whom monitor the health of chapters and eventually create a new chapter from collected/created Gene-seeds ever 50 some years simply put, correct? Chapters are only created when the High Lords sanction it, which was about every 200 years prior to the Age of Apostasy and about every thousand years since then. 55 years is how long it takes the AdMech to create the required number of implants after the High Lords tell them to.

spacewolf_sven
12-05-2009, 05:34
Do they mix geneseed from chapters which don't originate from the same Legion?

I doubt it, most of the geneseed is ultramarines in origin and chapters like the space wolves I don't think are very co-operative handing over their geneseed.

Hellebore
12-05-2009, 05:49
I think one of the rumours regarding the Blood Ravens was that they had tried to temper the flaw of the blood angels with the geneseed of the ravenguard. Along with the obligatory 'teh r teh 1000 sonz!' conspiracy.

The cursed founding article MIGHT mention the attempted combination of different chapters' geneseed, but then it IS the cursed founding...

Hellebore

NightrawenII
12-05-2009, 10:05
I think one of the rumours regarding the Blood Ravens was that they had tried to temper the flaw of the blood angels with the geneseed of the ravenguard. Along with the obligatory 'teh r teh 1000 sonz!' conspiracy.

The cursed founding article MIGHT mention the attempted combination of different chapters' geneseed, but then it IS the cursed founding...

Hellebore

Which is ridiculous, given the Ravenguard gene-seed is broken beyond repair as well.