PDA

View Full Version : "Counts as" Marbo?

Trench_Raider
08-05-2009, 16:42
I used to hate special characters and steadfastly refused to use them. I lamented the first apearance of them in WD issue 152 and back when you had to have the permission of your opponent to field a special character, I would routinely deny it. But my fealings on the issue have softened a bit with the widespread acceptance of "counts as" and the way that many desirable special rules are now linked to specific named characters.
Hey, people can change their opinion, right?

Anyway, I've looked at the "Guardsman Marbo" character and think that his "Suprise! It's a satchel charge!" rule could be fun and useful. He is what I call a "hornets nest" unit. It's something you throw into the middle of an opponet's army and dare him to do something about it. So I'm kicking around the idea of giving him a try.

But there is a big problem. I truely HATE the "Oliver Stone does Vietnam" look of anything related to the Catachans. Thus the official miniature is out of the question. So I'll be converting up something that is more in keeping with the theme of my army.
(For those who don't know, my IG army is based on company F of the 9th Necromunda regiment...that classic RT era formation
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194496)
Right now I'm thinking of loking through the old Mercenaries and Space Pirate ranges for a sutable figure to paint up in a camo pattern and give a demo charge to. But I'm still open to other ideas.

Thoughts?

TR

Count de Monet
08-05-2009, 16:49
My first instinct for you would be a particularly bad*** Beastman. Maybe call him "Maaaarbo" :D

Maybe a "generic" or lesser-known temple Assassin.

Captain Micha
08-05-2009, 16:54
When I first heard his name I thought of the Marlboro Man.

Yeah. You can see what my Marbo is going to look like. :D

Trench_Raider
08-05-2009, 16:57
My first instinct for you would be a particularly bad*** Beastman. Maybe call him "Maaaarbo"

LOL
That's great! :D

Maaaarbo. Heh.

TR

Col_Festus
08-05-2009, 16:59
I actually fielded marbo and called him an assassin of some sorts. Such as an Evesor, or a callidus and used the appropriate model. Im throwing it back to 2nd ed when IG armys could just take assassins tho lol.

zombied00d
08-05-2009, 17:04
Pig Iron Productions has quite a few that should fit your needs.

juggalo4life84
08-05-2009, 17:07
just sculpt some long black hair and a red bandana on the official model and call him JOHN... RAMBO...

lol

Fire Harte
08-05-2009, 17:14
Eldar Assassin (Both ways depending on your army list)

Oan Mkoll (because he Oans... :D)

Chaos beast assassin person as mentioned.

Ozendorph
08-05-2009, 17:19
My plan is to model a figure after Aahnold's character in Predator and call him "Dutch." He'll fit in with my Cadians, chomp on his cigar, and kill aliens.

Poseidal
08-05-2009, 17:21
Go Eldar hired assassin.

He has pretty much Eldar stats, and he doesn't take orders from anyone which would fit your outcast freebooter Eldar.

MrMojoZ
08-05-2009, 17:21
A Snake-Eyes clone would fit this role well, using a 2nd ed assassin.

Count de Monet
08-05-2009, 17:23
Eldar Assassin (Both ways depending on your army list)

Go Eldar hired assassin.

He has pretty much Eldar stats, and he doesn't take orders from anyone which would fit your outcast freebooter Eldar.

That could work. Do him up like an old RT Eldar Pirate.

ScytheSwathe
08-05-2009, 17:24
KILLER ROBOT!! Its perfect, robot teleports in, then blows up. Its all about killer robots.

Latro_
08-05-2009, 18:34
eversor assassin fits the bill pretty well

maybe as mentioned a generic assassin using a spyer model from necro
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1300004&rootCatGameStyle=

kikkoman
08-05-2009, 19:30
Right now I'm thinking of loking through the old Mercenaries and Space Pirate ranges for a sutable figure to paint up in a camo pattern and give a demo charge to. But I'm still open to other ideas.

Thoughts?
TR

Imperial Assassin

or with his i5, fleet of foot, and exotic weaponry, an Eldar mercenary assassin. Would also fit the Rogue Trader feel of your army (it already has all those abhumans and beastmen)

Laser guided fanatic
08-05-2009, 19:42
Marbo reminds me of two people. (both from games)

Solid Snake; from MGS the bandanna, hair and uberness all remind me of him

Conoel Burton: The accent, burlyness and it's showtime attitude link me to him.

Treadhead_1st
08-05-2009, 21:43
I think he's more Sergeant Todd from Soldier than Rambo (despite the name pilfering). Especially since he carries a Demo-Charge and is utterly silent. I always thought he was Rambo-clone until I saw that movie.

So, for me, I'm going for a not-so-Feral-Catachan look. Still in a vest, but with webbing and a hat and stuff. Here's a WIP of my version, it still needs a full webbing harness added:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a33/Treadhead2005/Imperial%20Guard%20-%201500%20point%20Cadian%20Army/2%20Elites/IMG_0557.jpg
Essentially, it's a Catachan model I'm making look more Cadian/WW2-SAS-type (even though those were Desert Brigade).

You could do something similar, but with gang tatoos on the arms and stuff to try to draw away from the Catachan element. Or go with a trenchcoat (Delaque?)-style guy...at a risk of him looking a little like Neo from The Matrix...

massey
08-05-2009, 21:46
I think he's more Sergeant Todd from Soldier than Rambo (despite the name pilfering). Especially since he carries a Demo-Charge and is utterly silent. I always thought he was Rambo-clone until I saw that movie.

...???

You have seen Rambo, right? The first one? He barely says 10 lines the whole movie.

jstalker
08-05-2009, 22:07
Damn someone else mentioned it first,
I am planning on modeling mine on Solid Snake too!

It would be great lol

Jackmojo
08-05-2009, 22:09
...???

You have seen Rambo, right? The first one? He barely says 10 lines the whole movie.

There is only one movie with Rambo, and First Blood is a fine movie, that clearly did not need any sequels or silly cartoons...which were never made.

Jack

Cane
08-05-2009, 22:14
I don't understand the Oliver Stone influence on Catachans, if anything Catachans are modeled after Rambo if we're talking about Nam movies.

Here's a bunch of random bad asses that haven't been mentioned:

Any Tropic Thunder character
Matrix-looking character
Blade Runner
Indiana Jones
Spy from Team Fortress video games

silence
08-05-2009, 22:29
Ok, slightly off topic, I like your Guard Army, thanks for pointing it out in your OP. I really enjoyed reading your log.

Back on track. Well, I like the Eldar assassin idea, and if you do decide to go with it, to fit in with your theme of mainly older models I'll see if I can dig out my old assassin model (the one already thumbed to) and send it to you. If your interested please PM me :)

Treadhead_1st
08-05-2009, 22:37
...???

Yup, own them all too.

Todd says even less :D and has more fun with explosives (demo-charge booby trap on some terrain, Meltabombs a vehicle, knives some random dudes, is a good shot with a variety of weapons and better at stealth than Rambo (in the first movie - probably equal to him in...whichever has the Russians/Chinese where Rambo covers himself in mud and hides in a muddy riverbank [2 or 3]).

I think it's a personal opinion thing. I just see far more references to Todd than Rambo (apart from the name, obviously). And because I prefer Todd to Rambo as a character :rolleyes:

Da Black Gobbo
08-05-2009, 22:39
What about a ninja :P?

Serious know, maybe some kind of S.A.S supper dupper agent, or a deadly shadow swordsman, why not Altair? from assasin's creed.

Brimstone
08-05-2009, 22:41
Some non GW suggestions

Cobra (http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=1860)

Grant (http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=581)

Couple more I thought of but I can't find the links at the moment, I'll edit them in later.

The Emperor
08-05-2009, 23:54
Cobra looks remarkably like Snake Plissken. ;)

Nakor
09-05-2009, 00:26
Three words: Duke freaking Nukem

decker_cky
09-05-2009, 00:29
All this talk of cobra got me thinking GI Joe, and now I want to model Creed as Serpentor...

MasterDecoy
09-05-2009, 02:31
steven segal, he's a one man army mate! lol

MrFishhat
09-05-2009, 03:17
Three words: Duke freaking Nukem

Thats what I did! Hes the Duke and time and time again hes kicked ass and chewed the **** outta bubblegum!

Seleucus
09-05-2009, 03:49
In keeping with your army, why not use one of the Human Bomb models, suitably armed with a Catachan long knife and bolt pistol with a lengthened barrel?

Alternatively, there is one of the original 'Imperial Army' guys with a knife and bandana if I recall.

Seleucus

Trench_Raider
09-05-2009, 04:02
I don't understand the Oliver Stone influence on Catachans, if anything Catachans are modeled after Rambo if we're talking about Nam movies.

I'm referencing the old Oliver Stone movie "Platoon" and it's less than favorable depiction of US forces as being un-professional, t-shirt and bandana wearing, dope smoking slackers. The catachans have always reminded me of that cliche'd depiction. Thus my negative reference of "Oliver Stone does Vietnam".

And thanks for the ideas and comments.
Silence I may very well take you up on that offer....although the "maaaarbo" idea still does have some humor apeal! :D

TR

Pink Horror
09-05-2009, 10:43
You're reminding me, I have to watch Platoon again someday.

jubilex
09-05-2009, 10:52
I used to hate special characters and steadfastly refused to use them.
(SNIP)
But my fealings on the issue have softened a bit with the widespread acceptance of "counts as" and the way that many desirable special rules are now linked to specific named characters.
Hey, people can change their opinion, right?

Erm, that's kind of disturbing...are we related or something? My thoughts exactly. :eek:

Just popped over to warseer, while waiting for my "counts as" Marbo basecoat to dry.

My IG are both latd (nurgle plague cult with zombi conscripts, etc) and a genestealer cult (arco's as purestrains, eversor as broodlord), so I will build 2 variants.

The latd one is a catachan, with a space marine respirator head (the whole army has gas masks/respirators/rebreathers, from pig iron and secrets of the third reich), forge world demo charge, ripper pistol = splinter pistol on a lasgun "shoulder stock", envenomed blade = blade from a splinter canon.

He is based on a tank cupola + hatch, as my background fluff is about a gulag prison mine that is actually a cult cover.
So, rather than him being the uber infiltraitor, he is actually emerging from an inspection hatch or somesuch.

As to what heactually is, he could be a fabius bile superman, a commorragh gladiator escapee, etc.

Thoughts re the genestealer version, perhaps some lictor genes in there somewhere???

Bunnahabhain
09-05-2009, 11:43
The co-incidences just keep stacking up...

I have a Necromunda gang based on hatches, offcuts of rivet covered sheets from tanks, and such like, and was going to do my Mambo the same way.

Catacahan head- the only one in the whole army, with marine comabt knife, 1;35 German SMG as his sniper pistol, and some random bottles I found ( WHFB Pistoleers, I think...) as the Molotov cocktail counts as demo charge

jubilex
09-05-2009, 12:06
and was going to do my Mambo the same way.
You're going to do a mambo? :)

Count de Monet
09-05-2009, 12:33
Some non GW suggestions

I thought that figure was taller...;)

shin'keiro
09-05-2009, 13:34
For me nothing less than a RAMBO lookalike will do, as thats what MARBO is based on!

htj
09-05-2009, 16:30
Since your army hails from Necromunda, how about a Ratskin?

victorpofa
09-05-2009, 20:52
Some non GW suggestions

I heard he was dead. :evilgrin:

Cobra looks remarkably like Snake Plissken. ;)

See above. :angel::evilgrin:

That is an awesome model. Even has the eye patch and UZI with extended magazine.

sartarius
09-05-2009, 20:58
i would say convert an upturned box over a pair of feet :P MGS anyone