PDA

View Full Version : New/Return Some help with army choice!

Tourniquet
08-05-2009, 19:49
Hi Guys n Gals!

I'm sure people are tired of these threads, but after using search i still couldn't find the answers/advice i was looking for, so i thought I'd make yet another one!
Sorry!

SO Basically, i used to play in 3rd Edition, Space Marines.
I came back recently after a very long break. BUT i found i don't like space marines any more. A bit dull to paint and Not very Flexible game wise. Also very limited in smaller games, which is what i play the most.

What i am looking for i think is an army that can be flexible in 750-1000point games. Can give me the opportunity to improve and advance modeling and painting skills (Pretty basic atm with aims of improving!), a army that isn't to hard to play to begin with, but doesn't stay that way, so, as i get better at 40k i can pull more advanced tactics with it without feeling its a one trick pony.
I do plan on starting Dark Eldar when they are re-released (so sad t see they haven't been yet!!) So an army that is a different play style to that.

I think i have narrowed it down to IG, Orks and Eldar.

The most important bits are though a Fun army, but one that's competitive!

But i also don't want a pure "just another" army. I'd want one i can at least theme and customize, but that doesn't need infinite amount of money or skill (like i said, i want to develop my modeling!) ability.
So Does any body have any advice, and, recommendations on a good starting point for set advised army (besides "Codex")
I'll have about : $200AU $153US 103Pounds, 115Euro as a starting point for models (Paints i have more set aside for, same with basing products, codex, ect.)
So, any one have any advice and possible help!

SPYDER68
08-05-2009, 19:53
Orks can be very competetive and fun along with Eldar, and IG kind of falls in behind that..

$$ way.. IG easily costs more of the options.. .. 22 US$ per 10 infantry that cost 5 pts each.

All 3 are fun armies.. it comes down to.. What models do you like ?

Tourniquet
08-05-2009, 19:56
Well, i like all three of them. IG less then the other two probably.
Money is a little bit of a constraint but not to worrying since it will be a slow build army.

SPYDER68
08-05-2009, 19:59
They are all fun choices, eldar is extremly fast.. Orks swarm people etc.

its all prefrence, both are very effective armies.

the1stpip
08-05-2009, 20:04
Orks are the best army for converting, and have a very strong codex.

Tourniquet
08-05-2009, 20:41
I plan to play Dark Eldar, like i said.
Im just not sure if i should go for Eldar, to get used to the play style of Grav tanks, Orks for a rushy CC army different to Dark Eldar or IG as another completely different style

Aegius
08-05-2009, 22:16
hmmm......maybe harlequins will make their way into the next DE codex. If this is the case, an Eldar army with harlequins in it may make the starting point of your DE army a year before it is even released.

Tourniquet
08-05-2009, 22:49
I came up with 2 diffrent lists ( i was bad and ran out to buy the Eldar Codex >.> I'm impatient)

I may lean towards Eldar for a few reasons

1) I plan to play Dark Eldar, so the Grav Tank style of lay of Eldar will help me get used to them
2) The Models i think will also help me learn techniques i will use on Dark Eldar (Seeing some concept art the Armour looks similar) as opposed to ork or IG where its a different style.
3) I used to play a SW army. So the Shooty Bouncy play of Eldar is very different to my SW

So if any one doesn't mind, here are my 2 lists i made!
750Points: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198143 (2 lists here. I read some tactica threads and went with what i liked + what i thought was cool would be fun to paint and adjust me to Dark Eldar play style)
1000: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198144

its basically the differences of my two 750 combined!

Tourniquet
08-05-2009, 23:52
I have decided on Eldar :)

Here are 2(3) lists i have made! tell me what you think?

750 has 2 Lists.but i think im going to go for the Dragons list
750: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198143
1000: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198144