PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolf Successors and Variant Paint Schemes

Souleater
08-05-2009, 20:27
Space Wolves are kinda grey...they're pretty well known for it. Okay they even have a shade of grey named after them. Possibly two.

Which set me to wondering if my favourite enemies are going to be getting any variant paint schemes.

Might a Wolf Lord decide that he doesn't want his band of merry men to be wearing grey?

Would he be allowed to have his company wear white armour like the ice blue glaciers of Fenris? Or deep, dark red like the blood of the Kraken? Why not jet black to show off those striking yellow markings?

Has anybody painted their SW figures in different colours?

IIRC the Wolf Brothers (?) were the only successors to the Space Wolves but is there a chance that GW will retconn in some previously unknown descendants?

I suppose they might go for the 'Counts as' style of things e.g. if you want to field Star Leopards then you simply use the SW rules with your own distinct scheme.

Maidel
08-05-2009, 21:41
Its in the fluff that over time some wolf lords have 'left the fold' so to speak and taken their great company with them.

There isnt much written about them other than that another wolf lord is appointed and a new great company is raised.

Its a bit like the '13th' company - they came back with 'variant' armour colours - so theres nothing to stop you painting up a space wolf army to represent one of those 'lost' great companies in what ever colour you so wish.

But do them in pink - and I will come round to your house personally to explain exactly why thats a bad idea.

spacewolf_sven
12-05-2009, 04:28
What would Logan Grimnar say??
Grey not good enough for you??
Are they really Space Wolves if they are not Grey??

clanfield
12-05-2009, 07:05
id say the 13th had the old legion colors and over time the color changed to the 41st blue grey

lost companys might in therory scavange kit just like the 13th did

Dhazzakull
12-05-2009, 08:01
i wanted to make a space wolf army with another color myself, so i've written a story about three great companies who got sepereted from the Chapter for more than 1k years and had to recruit to protect themselfs and the area they were stuk in.
When they returned they were to many to get integrated in the Chapter and so had to form their own chapter.
I think if you make the fluff like this its possible to opaint your wolves any way you want

Mr_Rose
12-05-2009, 08:39
What do you mean "too many"? There could easily be 7-8000 space wolves on Fenris and it's known that there's room in the Fang for at least 10K.
The Space Wolves have been running the longest tax-dodge in imperial history (even longer than the black templars) pretty much since Robert Gullible told himself he was boss and believed it.
Between the fact that they won't sit still for an audit and that they keep changing their insignia, no-one outside the legion has any real idea how many there are and I'm pretty sure Logan and all his predecessors have gone to some lengths to ensure that this knowledge remains secret.

Souleater
12-05-2009, 12:17
What would Logan Grimnar say??
Grey not good enough for you??
Are they really Space Wolves if they are not Grey??

It just seems a bit...dull...

"Hi, we're breakneck, devilmaycare Space Viking Metalheads who set fire to Dark Angel's robes when they aren't looking. Sissie dresswearing weirdos. But we all like to wear grey. Just grey. Okay, maybe a bit of yellow but it must be Imperial Colour Chart 3586/YW, because hey, weren't not sheep."

I was fooling around with some spare minis trying to come up with a scheme that gives a nod to the SWG but puts a bit more interest into the figures. e.g. bisected with either white or black down one side.

(I'm hoping to get my mates intrested in playing SH. One of them is a SW player but doesnt' get time to paint so I figure I could paint the Termies in SW colours.)

Then I got to wondering if anybody has done any significantly different schemes. Just seems odd that SW's of all people stick so rigidly to the same paint scheme.

wolfkin
12-05-2009, 14:02
Ive seen a kilt wein bunch of sw and Ive seen other colors as well, its up to the individual so go for what you want and who cares what others think its your army.

pookie
12-05-2009, 14:51
Bit like asking can a BA choose not have red Armour really isnt it? well they could, but then they really wouldnt be a BA would they?

Just becuase YOU dont like SW colours, really doesnt make it a valid option to paint em green with blue spots ( or what ever else floats your boat), if you dislike the colour but enjoy the 'flavour' then paint your own Chapter.

Eumerin
13-05-2009, 06:16
Spacewolves are... grey? :wtf:

On a more serious note, Spacewolves haven't looked grey to me since waaaay back in the days of the Rogue Trader book. I remember seeing Spacewolf Grey for the first time, and wondering why the paint was a pale blue (not even blue-grey - no grey in it at all!). Spacewolves that actually had a grey color scheme would be a definite change...

genestealer_baldric
13-05-2009, 08:52
hey you can paint your shoulder pad however you like so go wild but the rest stays grey ;)

Souleater
13-05-2009, 12:24
Well, my mate and I go way to back to the beginning of Rogue Trader so to me Space Wolves are grey. None of this namby-pampy wolf-pup blue grey rubbish.

And Dark Angels are black. mutter.

daemonkin
13-05-2009, 12:35
Well, my mate and I go way to back to the beginning of Rogue Trader so to me Space Wolves are grey. None of this namby-pampy wolf-pup blue grey rubbish.

And Dark Angels are black. mutter.

And the Ultra Smurfs are 2nd founding?

Citadel Colour Space Wolf Grey FTW. I still have a few pots unopened and use SWG for highlighting.

Back OT: Even Strykar and his renegade Space Wolves wear variant colours of grey. I think it must be in their DNA.

D.

AndrewGPaul
13-05-2009, 16:50

This guy looks pretty much the same colour as Shadow Grey (the original Space Wolf base colour, from when it was called blue-grey).

Dominus_Serui
13-05-2009, 17:28
I'm pretty sure the Wolves let their own customise their armour colors...

Inquisitor Engel
13-05-2009, 17:37
The particular shade of grey is chosen by the World Lord, which is why even GW miniatures feature everything from the Blue-Grey (Blackmane's company) to the darker grey of Redmaw's Grand Company.

Souleater
13-05-2009, 17:38
This guy looks pretty much the same colour as Shadow Grey (the original Space Wolf base colour, from when it was called blue-grey).

This is how all these intergalatic wars start you know.

"The holy armour colour is blue-grey!"
"No, you fool, the holy armour is Grey-Blue!"

What follows is three hundred years of blood shed and untold lives lost. A thousand planets set aflame.

I hope you people are happy. Are you happy now?!!?!?!? :D

Marshal2Crusaders
14-05-2009, 05:00
What do you mean "too many"? There could easily be 7-8000 space wolves on Fenris and it's known that there's room in the Fang for at least 10K.
The Space Wolves have been running the longest tax-dodge in imperial history (even longer than the black templars) pretty much since Robert Gullible told himself he was boss and believed it.
Between the fact that they won't sit still for an audit and that they keep changing their insignia, no-one outside the legion has any real idea how many there are and I'm pretty sure Logan and all his predecessors have gone to some lengths to ensure that this knowledge remains secret.

Negative, the Templars are just as old as the Wolves. All Second Foundings are just as old as the First Foundings, because they were made from them. The title Templars even dates back to the Heresy as it was Dorn's Bodyguard/Sigismund's Company.

Also, the Space wolves arn't allowed anymore successors after the first one died off. Also, some companies do go rogue. But not many.

Hellebore
14-05-2009, 05:06
The actual marines in the second foundings were as old as the first founding legions (maybe), but the chapters themselves are 250 years younger... :p

Consider also there are two different origin stories for the wolf brothers. One as a 2nd founding chapter and another as just a great company that left the chapter. The space wolves never approved the codex astartes, so the 2nd founding wolf brothers strikes me as a little wierd. Makes more sense for them to be a seperated great company.

Hellebore

Mr_Rose
14-05-2009, 07:43
Also, It's definitely still the longest because the Templars at least started at regulation size for a Chapter, or thereabouts. Plus it's unclear whether they intended to balloon into a huge fleet army from the start, or if some accountancy-servitor screwed up and they just ran with it.

pookie
14-05-2009, 09:59
Also, It's definitely still the longest because the Templars at least started at regulation size for a Chapter, or thereabouts. Plus it's unclear whether they intended to balloon into a huge fleet army from the start, or if some accountancy-servitor screwed up and they just ran with it.

I doubt it was pre planned, but the BT Dex does state that after Sigismund Launched his Crusade, that they didnt get involved in the afairs of the Imperium until the reighn of Vandire, and it even hints that they may have left the boundrys of the Imperium, only when the descovered the tretchery (sp) of Vandire did they start to become more involved in the afairs of the Imperium, being one of 4 (?) Chapters who ended the 2nd Seige of terra ( of course tho with the Help of the Brides/Custodes).

Wolfblade670
14-05-2009, 20:51
This is how all these intergalatic wars start you know.

"The holy armour colour is blue-grey!"
"No, you fool, the holy armour is Grey-Blue!"

What follows is three hundred years of blood shed and untold lives lost. A thousand planets set aflame.

Sigged for awesome and lulz. :D

Personally, I feel they're your minis, paint them however you want. If you can come up with a cool story behind it and keep the basic insignia, I'd be cool with different coloured Space Wolves. They're rebels anyway.

TheOTHERmaninblack
15-05-2009, 00:21
2nd foundings took a couple of different paths, the most common was to create a new chapter using existing geneseed tithed to the astartes by the various chapters. The story in 3rd ed was that only one such was attempted using Space Wolf geneseed, but that it had failed due to the instability of the canis helix so no more attempts were made.

But it's true that the Wolves never did agree to the smurf manual and that their true numbers are shrouded in mystery. Successor/breakaway chapters, therefore make a whole bunch of sense, particularly given the portrayed nature of the Space Wolves and their structure.

In particular, in contrast to standard marines, Space Wolf great companies grow up around individual warriors rather than force org charts. Warriors will flock around a charismatic Wolf leader in greater and greater numbers until he achieves lord status.

According to the codex, if the lord of one of the established 12 great company dies or disappears, the current chapter leader appoints another lord to fill the slot. Given the nature of the structure, it seems unlikely that the followers of the old leader would exactly mesh with the followers of the new leader leaving leaderless Space Wolves wandering around loose at least until a new power arises. It wouldn't be surprising for these warriors to break off into a new "unofficial" great company. Likewise, if a Wolf Lord accumulates sufficient followers he might well find himself at the head of a defacto great company that might never see the rolls of the scribes on Terra.

Being unofficial, why would these new breakaway/successor great companies feel compelled to pay more than passing tribute to the colors of any but their own captains? Therefore, if a particular Wolf Lord wanted his company to be darker gray, his lads would probably get with the paintin'. If he wanted black with gray trim, likewise. Pink with gold? Well, it would depend on how good he fought, I suppose....

Mr_Rose
15-05-2009, 07:01
No, the Great Wolf only appoints a new Wolf Lord when there's no-one to take the job, i.e. the company has already broken away from the chapter/been destroyed, in which case they get their marker-stone moved to behind the black marker on the grand annulus, or they refuse to choose a leader from amongst themselves/their chosen dudes all refuse the job (not unheard of; Ulrik declined the Lordship of his original Company to become a Wolf Priest).
Under normal circumstances, when a Wolf Lord dies, his Wolf Guard select his successor from amongst their own number; since all of the Wolf guard are hand-picked by the Wolf Lord, they tend to be of a similar temperament to the predecessor so you seldom get a major clash of personalities.
The majority of times a Wolf Lord/Great Company "go rogue", it's because they decline the order to return to Fenris after the Great Wolf considers the job done, because the Wolf Lord (the "man on the ground" as it were) doesn't think the job is done just yet and wants to get on and finish it.

Souleater
15-05-2009, 09:15
How does the SW HQ handle that?

I would imagine that most Chapter Masters would be a tad annoyed to get back a message saying 'Sorry, too busy kicking heads in. Please call next Thursday.'

Negative, the Templars are just as old as the Wolves. All Second Foundings are just as old as the First Foundings, because they were made from them.

Um...surely by definition First Founding Chapters are older than Second Founding ones?

The Black Templars are decended from the Imperial Fists.

If what you were saying is true then I would be as old as my own father.

pookie
15-05-2009, 12:27
How does the SW HQ handle that?

I would imagine that most Chapter Masters would be a tad annoyed to get back a message saying 'Sorry, too busy kicking heads in. Please call next Thursday.'

Um...surely by definition First Founding Chapters are older than Second Founding ones?

The Black Templars are decended from the Imperial Fists.

If what you were saying is true then I would be as old as my own father.

you must be then :D

Because the BT are not decended, but are actually IF who repainted there armour and then headed of on Crusade ( just like the CF ).

only the 3rd founding are younger than the Legions/2nd Founding.

( The If were the Vets/standard Marines, the BT were the Assault/Hot Blooded marine elements, the younger IF marines went to the CF)

Souleater
15-05-2009, 12:30
Do they really consider themselves Imerial Fists?

I mean they have different name and heradly. They share the same geneseed as their IF but the same can be said of the UM and any of their successors.

Their method of 'splitting off' is different I grant you but the effect is the same.

pookie
15-05-2009, 14:17
Do they really consider themselves Imerial Fists?

I mean they have different name and heradly. They share the same geneseed as their IF but the same can be said of the UM and any of their successors.

Their method of 'splitting off' is different I grant you but the effect is the same.

they dont have to consider themselves IF tho, the first Marines that made up these chapters were from the Legions, so they are just as old, just the Name is 250 years ish younger. (tho they do venerate Dorn exactly like most other UM decendant chapters venerate Roboute).

tho i think we are getting a little off topic here.

Marshal2Crusaders
15-05-2009, 19:44
Well in the rule book it has two space wolves in the Grey and in the blue-grey. So do what you want, they are Space Wolves.

Inquisitor Engel
16-05-2009, 01:21
Technically, all Chapters created during the Reign of Guilliman are second founding Chapters, the Ultramarines Chapter is descended from, not the same as, the Ultramarines Legion.

But I'm nitpicking. ;)