captainramoz
09-05-2009, 03:46
If there was a movie wich battle whould you like to appear
Who whould you want as the main race
and wich actors whould you like
Me battle for macrage with Schwarzenegger as Marneus Calgar epic win:D

Raibaru
09-05-2009, 04:32
I'd have to go with the 13th black crusade personally as it would introduce a lot of the iconic races and leave out the lawsuit ones like Tyrands.

Space Marines
Chaos Space Marines
Eldar

Now as for actors I think Ralph Fiennes would make an excellent abaddon or even eldrad. I think Michael Wincott could play either role also, but he feels more evil then Ralph Fiennes. Ron Perlman I'd love to see as a Space Marine. Sylvester Stalone has been excellent recently in Rambo and Rocky and could fill a Space Marine role too.

techman
09-05-2009, 04:35
As an Ultra player (looks for the looks of hate) I think battle for macragge would be cool, I've always loved the story behind it.

If I Was to pick a second, I think something involving the horus heresy, maybe turn it into a trilogy and use the Horus heresy books.

As for actors..I dont know actors name so sry lol:angel:

tacoo
09-05-2009, 04:51
dont care what movie, as long as it dont include any of the following

Necrons (gauss effect would lok extremly stupid on movie, and i dont want to see necron warriors shooting lighting bolts)

daemons (it would be cool, but i dont want to see some cheasy lookin GUO, and i really dont want tot see daemonettes)

Tyranids(would look awsome, but unless properly funded, would just look cheesy)

Things i would love to see
Space wolves, greyknights, titans, avatar of khaine.

Donblas
09-05-2009, 04:58
First battle for Armageddon. LOTS of goodies in that one.

SirSnipes
09-05-2009, 06:16
personally id like to see a trilogy based on the necrons awakening and the return of the slann(old ones)

first one would be destruction and capture of nightrbringer ending in the releasing of the outsider and return of slann

second would be the unition of eldar, imperium and ork(the races created to fight the crons) and the fall of the outsider and his nids(yeah id play it like that)

third would be the fall of the imperium due to the void dragon waking up and the whole universe gathering together in their true purposeto destroy the void dragoon, theacts of zeal and purpose, would close the warp and lead humanity back on its origional path

anice way to include EVERY race

Hicks
09-05-2009, 06:32
Necrons (gauss effect would lok extremly stupid on movie, and i dont want to see necron warriors shooting lighting bolts).

Yeah I always imagined it would look like the guns in Mars Attack.

Back on topic, I'd like to see either events from the Horrus Heresy, or the Battles for Armageddon the most.

The Emperor
09-05-2009, 08:22
What I would like to see is GW getting together an animated studio and releasing numerous, direct-to-DVD animated films about various chapters of 40k history. That, I think, is way more feasible than a live-action movie. The 40k universe is simply to dense. Lord of the Rings, by way of comparison, is easier to get into than 40k. So better to create cheaper, animated movies that're marketed mostly for the fans rather than trying to make an expensive, big-budget Hollywood movie which most likely won't fly with the general public.

A live-action film can be pursued if, and only if, those DVD films are sold to large numbers of people other than fans, and create an awareness of the 40k universe outside of GW's fanbase. It's a WHOLE lot easier to market a 40k movie to the general public if SOME segment of the general public has some kind of idea of what 40k is to begin with.

Vote Kantor
09-05-2009, 08:38
I always imagined the gauss effect to look like in the most recent Dr. Whos, with the "zap, skeleton, unzap"

Personally, something with guard, easier, more awesome, (imagine the irony of getting stallone to play sly marbo) and you could viably use any other armies from orks to the inquisition.

Awilla the Hun
09-05-2009, 08:50
If there is one, I would like it to start with an Enemy at the Gates style scene.

-Guardsmen (Death Korps of Krieg/Mordia, preferably, so as they look like Evil WW1/Evil Redcoats) are herded onto their Chimeras, with Commissars "inspiring" them with info dumpy speeches about the Emperor's Sacrifice for humanity.

-Chimeras are seen rumbling forth. We get a view inside, with our hero staring at the technology with awe on his face (difficult in a Gas Mask, but possible I'm sure.) Maybe someone gets executed for some reason. At the moment, the guardsmen look like evil minions.

-Then they are ordered to dismount, fix bayonets, and charge, against Cultists wishing for Freedom from the Most Sacred Imperium.

-They do so, and are mown down by impossibly handsome (slaneeshi) cultists.

-Then, as the charge somehow reaches the line...

-Daemons sweep forth, cutting down all before them. Chaos drop pods rain from the skies, some pouring into cities, where sounds of butchery are heard.

And it gradually dawns on the audience. These Haig/Napoleon wannabes aren't the villains. They're only the beginning!

Enter opening credits.

Vote Kantor
09-05-2009, 09:01
Awilla: You.... just.... won... That would be AWESOME!!!!!

Bergioyn
09-05-2009, 09:05
If there is one, I would like it to start with an Enemy at the Gates style scene.

-Guardsmen (Death Korps of Krieg/Mordia, preferably, so as they look like Evil WW1/Evil Redcoats) are herded onto their Chimeras, with Commissars "inspiring" them with info dumpy speeches about the Emperor's Sacrifice for humanity.

-Chimeras are seen rumbling forth. We get a view inside, with our hero staring at the technology with awe on his face (difficult in a Gas Mask, but possible I'm sure.) Maybe someone gets executed for some reason. At the moment, the guardsmen look like evil minions.

-Then they are ordered to dismount, fix bayonets, and charge, against Cultists wishing for Freedom from the Most Sacred Imperium.

-Daemons sweep forth, cutting down all before them. Chaos drop pods rain from the skies, some pouring into cities, where sounds of butchery are heard.

And it gradually dawns on the audience. These Haig/Napoleon wannabes aren't the villains. They're only the beginning!

Enter opening credits.

I personally thought that if there was a movie it should be Marine Centered, but not anymore!
That would be Awesome!
I can already imagine the " :wtf: These are the good guys??? " moment in the audience :D .

Nezmith
09-05-2009, 09:23
dont care what movie, as long as it dont include any of the following

Necrons (gauss effect would lok extremly stupid on movie, and i dont want to see necron warriors shooting lighting bolts)

daemons (it would be cool, but i dont want to see some cheasy lookin GUO, and i really dont want tot see daemonettes)

Tyranids(would look awsome, but unless properly funded, would just look cheesy)

Things i would love to see
Space wolves, greyknights, titans, avatar of khaine.

As a matter of fact, you should just cut out all xeno races in a 40k movie. They aren't that important and the audience won't be able to sympathize with them. More time to fill the screen with WW2 Rejects and Braying Space Marines.

:rolleyes:

Condottiere
09-05-2009, 09:27
Doing an IG movie might make it look like a copy of Starship Troopers. OTOH, I happen to like Starship Troopers.

Mojaco
09-05-2009, 09:34
As long it's no Dragonball Z; the movie. Imagine, the fans of DZ were probably starting threads like these for years too, and they got their wish. In a horrible, horrible way.

Granted, GW is likely strickter at protecting their IP as they have an older, more critical target audience (I hope), but it's still a scary prospect.

Reflex
09-05-2009, 09:46
this makes me think that GW are infact going to make a movie but cant get past this step.

"Your an idiot! the 13th Black Crusade would be a fantastic starting point!"
"No sir, you are the idiot, clearly Medusa V is superior to the 13th Black Crusade"
"Your both idiots, my super mega man has morphed into galactagon primus ultra and therefore the movie should be made about Empire Vs Koala Bears..."

Edit: GW seem to be pretty lax with there IP lately to make more profit... which is one reason why i am against a movie at this point. Bad talking necrons is bad.

Mojaco
09-05-2009, 09:50
I always thought the Battle for Macgragge is great for a movie.
Benefits;
- Doable in a single movie
- Clear good guys/bad guys
- Includes plenty of normal humans, not just marines, allowing them to be a focus point.
- Battles of all sizes (incl space)
- Doesn't require a huge backstory, so normal moviegoers can comprehend wtf is going on.

Back in 4th it even had a movie-tie-in product with the starter set.

Cythus
09-05-2009, 09:53
I think that the horus heresy would be great but would need at least 5 films to do it justice
however, no studio is going to make a film which contains the first 5th of a story only starts the story up, with none of the heroic moments, climaxes or battles
hey, no-one would watch it either

therefore, something on the Tau expansion:

first the film follows the tau, showing how perfect their society is. brilliant understood technology
Shows tau assulting world, PDF slaughtered

then introduce 2 plots: one guard, one SM

guard sent and fight to defend world, show summary executions, massacre of tau civilians, technology not understood

SM launch surgical strikes, brutal no prisoners etc

but slowly show goodness of humanity, this neccessary for humans to survive, but still leave tau looking like the better society

additionally action movie plot, showing the story of this war

final big battle

Mangobreeder
09-05-2009, 09:58
your all wrong, :)

your thinking way too big.

how about the first part from brotherhood of the snake.

would make a excellent film.

would need a bit of extending, so you see the natives, fighting the primuals with no sucess,then comes the space marine.

Bodysnatcher
09-05-2009, 10:09
I think an extremely confined film concentrating on the characters would be more interesting for a 40K film.
Imagine something like some Valhallans manning a section of trench against Orks. Most of the action is unseen behind fearsome blizzards which only break occasionally to show the true scale of the battle (a titan duelling with a Stompa Mob or something). Then you can end the film with the order to advance - cue a battlefield literally covered in frozen corpses.

stiltjet
09-05-2009, 10:53
A film about Cypher would be interesting to see.

Not just something about some war or battle somewhere in the universe..

Lord Wasa
09-05-2009, 10:57
Personally I am going to agree with those saying imperium vs. chaos. It is the basic and primary fight in 40k and most likely the easiest for non40k-ers to comprehend.
Horus Heresy would be my highest wish, but that is probably too grand to be a first movie. Having a first movie with a "generic" chaos vs. imperium opening the way is probably the best way to go. after that, if interest remains, you could make a bigger (prolly more than one movie) thing with the whole "How it begun"-concept.

The intro Awilla made up is EPIC, but it lacks one thing. When the guardsmen advance, I want a squad (or a bigger part of the line) to faulter (showing that these guardsmen are indeed only puny humans). Commisar comes in "BAM" *takes banner* "Advance men. For [insert planet name/The Emperor]"

I can see the movie end in a number of ways, either you never tell the audience the extent of the fight, and in the end you zoom out of the planet showing a galaxy in war. Voice saying: In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium, there is only WAR.

Or: the cultists are winning and in the last five or ten minutes, the Grey Knights enter, checking the situation, then exterminatus.

Or:...well, that was all i could com up with now, but I'm sure there are many many other scenarios.

Also, if there are Space Marines in there, DON'T MAKE THEM ULTRAS!!!! I'd rather see them making up a chapter like "Sons of Omaha" or whatever.
One more thing. ALL ANIMATED!!!!!!! I do NOT want to see some schmucks like these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBf-epKL1pc
The quality of the DOW II trailers (or better) is what I want.

EDIT: I forgot one thing. If those BL-writers are as close to poo as I've heard, please don't let them near this movie. just let some good writer do it with some random 40k-ers as advisors.

Caprosmaster
09-05-2009, 11:10
I concur with most people, BFM would be very cool with waves upon waves of gaunts crashing onto the smurfs, a sea of bodies....

Caprosmaster

eltanko
09-05-2009, 11:12
i agree, a huge spectacular through the roof budget action film would be amazing!!!!!! but probably wont happen :cries:

but an animated film for horus heresy, or anything really, as detailed as the opening to the DOW games, would be almost as good...for now!

and Awilla, if i ever win the lotto somehow, your writing that film, and i will fund it!!

ElTanko

Poseidal
09-05-2009, 11:15
I'd make it a comedy.

Possibly on Rynn's world with the Ork invasion. Kantor stays masked/helmeted the entire movie until the end, and you only see the back of his head then and not even his face.

mr.kislev
09-05-2009, 11:17
First battle for Armageddon. LOTS of goodies in that one.

seconded space wolves, grey knights, deamons, chaos marines, chaos guard what else do you want?

Corax
09-05-2009, 11:28
I think I would rather that they not do it at all rather than make a hash of it. OTOH, if they do something decent, it could be cool. I would like to see the Rynn's World Incident done, preferably animated in the style of the DoWII trailers, since thats about the only way it would be possible to capture the scale of 40k style war. They could use the methods of motion capture used in the recent Beowulf film to animate the characters faces based on the actors faces, then put the faces onto the bodies of Space Marines. Next question is, who should play Pedro Kantor...?

ehlijen
09-05-2009, 11:35
I'm thinking something like this:

A young Tau earth caste member recieves a strange device from his Uncle who's been challenging the caste system by traveling like a water caste member all his life. He doesn't know what it is until a travelling human merchant, who happens to be a primaris psyker sees it and recognises it for the evil chaotic artefect that it is. Seeing that the young tau is the only one who seems to be able to carry it, he sends him and three of his friends off to meet a friend of his, a rogue trader lord (who is secretly the reborn emperor in disguise, but more on that later) while he is off to ask for advice in his temple.

While the young Tau barely escapes the chaos deamons chasing him, even being poisoned in the process, by taking refuge in an eldar craftworld, the psyker discovers that his order is actually about to start a rebellion agains the Imperium. He barely escapes in time for the council of all the good races to be held in the eldar craftworld. Eldrad resisdes over the discussion between Squats, craftworld eldar and humans. They come to the conclusion that one member from each faction shall accompany these young tau earth caste members to take the artefact and hurl it back into the eye of terror from whence it came.

They make some progress but the psyker gets killed by a bloodthirster and the human tries to steal the chaos artefact. The movie ends with two of the tau sneaking off alone to finish the mission and the other two being abducted by a horde of evil arco flaggelllants.

How is this for a first part?

Vote Kantor
09-05-2009, 11:38
@ corax: Somebody new, Not Schwarzenegger or some other random action buff man.
Somebody fresh faced that gets more scars as the movie goes on!
LOTS OF SCARS!!

Cythus
09-05-2009, 11:47
The scene, some imperial guard general spending weeks planning a battle

Schwarzenegger comes in as some hot headed marine captain
"we attack now!!"

Marines attack, guard have to support Imperium wins but guard decimated

That's the opening scene

mr.kislev
09-05-2009, 11:58
I'm thinking something like this:

A young Tau earth caste member recieves a strange device from his Uncle who's been challenging the caste system by traveling like a water caste member all his life. He doesn't know what it is until a travelling human merchant, who happens to be a primaris psyker sees it and recognises it for the evil chaotic artefect that it is. Seeing that the young tau is the only one who seems to be able to carry it, he sends him and three of his friends off to meet a friend of his, a rogue trader lord (who is secretly the reborn emperor in disguise, but more on that later) while he is off to ask for advice in his temple.

While the young Tau barely escapes the chaos deamons chasing him, even being poisoned in the process, by taking refuge in an eldar craftworld, the psyker discovers that his order is actually about to start a rebellion agains the Imperium. He barely escapes in time for the council of all the good races to be held in the eldar craftworld. Eldrad resisdes over the discussion between Squats, craftworld eldar and humans. They come to the conclusion that one member from each faction shall accompany these young tau earth caste members to take the artefact and hurl it back into the eye of terror from whence it came.

They make some progress but the psyker gets killed by a bloodthirster and the human tries to steal the chaos artefact. The movie ends with two of the tau sneaking off alone to finish the mission and the other two being abducted by a horde of evil arco flaggelllants.

How is this for a first part?

sounds like LotR in the 40th millenium

Industrial Propaganda
09-05-2009, 12:00
This topic again ?

There will never be a theater movie about WH40K. And I thank God everyday for this... I can only imagine how the movie would be ugly.

Look at dungeon and dragons, doom, dragon ball z, street fighters, mario, etc... Games/Manga at theater are bad and make me depressive.

BUT, If they would do small movies like those from DoW, then I would be happy.

hawo0313
09-05-2009, 12:56
I can imagin Schwarzenegger as a space marine captain "get to the thunderhawk"

seriously the movie if there was one would have to be about one of the armageddon wars

MadJackMcJack
09-05-2009, 13:12
I think the novel Warriors of Ultramar would make for a good movie. Imperium vs Tyranids, has both land and space battles, and even has some talky bits detailing the background of the 2 Marine Chapters.

Godgolden
09-05-2009, 13:27
A film where Marines are not the focus but are terrifying (even to the loyalist guard) angels of death and myth and legend, always out of shot.

It would be guard vs chaos of course, and angels of death versus the fallen of their kind.

if done well it would be glorious, a problem with 40k would be the short span of the guys your supposed to be attaching too so some kind of Gaunts ghost approach would be quite tasteful.

Marines, inquisitors, corruption, strife, defeat, intrigue, not a constant battle from start to finish as they are boooring.

edit: nothing worse than lowering a marine to human levels, they should be juggernaughts of destruction, check out Inquisitor (the very large scale minature based roleplay thing) the writer goes on repeatidly on how broken marines are and how they should be sparingly used, this is how it should be handled by the story writer of the film.

Sorros
09-05-2009, 13:45
Don't make it animated, b/c then no one would want to watch it. Sci-fi animated film=box-office fail.

Perhaps if it was Beowulf-style, that could work, but I would rather have it with real actors, but not cheesy-ly done...Dungeons and Dragons got owned. I doubt a movie will be made, let alone a good one, but they would need someone like Peter Jackson or Guillermo Del Toro to make the movie, guys who are spectacular directors.

Ravensgard
09-05-2009, 14:02
I think it would be better if you would make a movie following an acolyte of the Inquisition The intro of the movie would be the character infiltrated in a chaos cult, suddenly reveals himselfs and you have an action part, the inquisitor stopping a ritual or something, then Imperial guad (PDF or Arbitrators) fall in and kill the rest, too late, demon appaers and the inquisitor heroicly banishes the demon. (that for about the first 15 to 20 minutes for setting the mood) Later the inquisitor gets another mission, again maybe a chaos cult, you follow the inquisitor trough space and worlds, great scenic panorama's of 40k, you see imperial guard training, imprisoned eldar and tau in Inquisitoral prisoners, etc. Later the chaos cult seems to be an genestealer cult, preparing an invasion and as final battle you see tyranids fighting PDF and Imperial guard and dropships landing with space marines. The movie should end somelike "whoever wins, this world will be destroyed by the end of this war." picture zooms out too space, showing the greatest battle barges at one side and the great hive fleets at the other side. THE END
what do you think?

Lt.Bradford
09-05-2009, 14:37
For a film I'd have to do it like this:

You'd have a relatively green IG regiment from a backwoods planet shipped into a large scale warzone that would include more famous regiments like the Krieg, Tallarn, etc. You'd have a pretty long scene of the entrance to the trenches, passing by things like medical tent, vehicles, a preacher giving a fiery sermon.

Then they'd go to the trenches, trying to hold the Orks which they would for a time. Then you'd be shown an incompetant commander living in some fancy building. The men on that section of the line are ordered on an assault to see how the Ork positions are.

They would get hammered, and in the fall back the Krieg would make a stand to help everyone else make it back to the entrenchments.

Then the Orks would make a huge attack on the line. The men would almost be overrun with some good CC shots. Artillery would start to fall on the position, deafening the camera. Everything would go dusty, with the main character would be semi stunned.

Suddenly, the Orks change their attention to a new threat, running past some of the guardsmen. In the background there would be some form of Gregorian chanting, and the Orks would be mowed down.

You guessed it: Space Marines would arrive. They would start pushing the green tide back, but over the hill smoke would start to arrive and you can hear gears and such. Ork Gargants and other vehicles arrive, again changing the battle.

Imperial armor would rush past, including some super heavies when another drop pod would fall. Warhorns would blare and out of it would come a Warlord titan.

So anyway, for the last thirty minutes or so it would be just an escalating battle until the Orks are finally defeated. The movie would end with the whole "In the grim darkness..." phrase as a group of people hidden in a room listen to a man with a scratchy voice tell of how they have been betrayed by the Emperor.

techman
09-05-2009, 14:40
I really think that GW has the budget, but you know what...it has to do with how bad it would truly be. I think if they actually took the time to make it good, it'd be alright, but it wont happen and it'll be rushed. I agree now with the DOW first scenes..that is GREAT animation and story.

NO Schwarzenegger...NO...I DO NOT see a marine talking like him, I know its his accent but no...that would be bad.

TimLeeson
09-05-2009, 14:41
No thanks, id rather have an inquisitor or gaunts ghost style TV series done in the style of "band of brothers" please. A 40k film would just be dumbed-down commercialised war-porn, in other words it would probably be like CS Goto with visuals.

Giganthrax
09-05-2009, 14:43
I always thought they could make a great action-movie with Space Marines vs Orks, or Space Marines vs Chaos Space Marines.

It'd be a science fiction version of 300, really. Starts with narrator explaining the growth and creation of a space marine (pretty much the same as 300 starts), with cool special effects and the process from early training, to operations, to scouthood, to becoming a full-fledged SM.

Then we could get to an actual SM chapter and the situation at hand. Say, a mass of orks are attacking a planet. However, it seems these orks also have something to do with daemons (warboss could be possessed, and preparing to open multiple holes into the warp). Cue a company of marines makes drop pod landfall, gets to fight the orks in a desperate attempt to destroy the possessed warboss before (literally) all hell breaks lose.

In the meantime we got some inquisitors & SM chapter master or w/e atop a battle barge, disagreeing over whether they should order Exterminatus on the planet or not. That creates a lot of time-limit drama where the planetbound marines are hurrying to destroy the warboss and secure the planet, before the pesky inquisitor orders Exterminatus.

It could be a great action movie with lots of impressive special effects.

And yes, I know 40k universe is a lot more deep then this, but you really can't put all this depth into 90 minutes... Hell, you can't even begin to properly explain it in 3 hours - not the way general public would appreciate it.

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 14:49
Is it really that time again? (http://warseer.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1327332)

I think it has been discussed to death about a hundred times that a 40k movie is unlikely to be made due to the need for a film company to want to produce merchandise, something that GW is going to want to hold onto the rights to produce merchandise. On top of this it has such a small market (yes really) that the budget required would never be recovered and no artistic liscence would be allowed to the films scriptwriters by GW, it would have to fit the party like exactly.

So to sum it up:

A 40k MOVIE IS HUGELY UNLIKELY

(about as likely as a sequel to Return of the King, The Wicker Man or Schindlers List)

eltanko
09-05-2009, 14:57
the other downside i suppose would be that if it was successful, the prices of models/books would raise even higher then they are now, which would really bother me!!!!

i think the best option is animated like the opening sequence to the DOW games, as long as its not cartoony, and a serious sort of thing.

ElTanko

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 15:03
Not only that - does anyone here remember a little thing called the LOTR bubble? that thing that lead to a whole load of poor long term, good short term desicisions from GW? which is the reason that we now have the "three core games" meaning that 33.3% of every store is dedicated to pushing a product that's main line of promotion was about six years ago.

How does a 40k bubble sound to you? I imagine it would actually be worse.

I would reccomend damnatus, but sadly that is now unavaliable through legitimate channels.

SimonL
09-05-2009, 15:32
Also, given that the majority of GW's target audience is 10-15 years old, the movie would have to be rated PG-13...Think how un-40k that would be.

syd b
09-05-2009, 16:15
Also, given that the majority of GW's target audience is 10-15 years old, the movie would have to be rated PG-13...Think how un-40k that would be.

That would be the main problem with a movie, to stand any chance of earning back its cost it would have to be pretty much bloodless. Not that I like gore and so forth, but if you're going to make a movie true to the 40k universe it's going to have to be fairly brutal. For problems in this area see X Men Origins Wolverine vs. Watchmen.

Lord of Worms
09-05-2009, 16:30
I hope they don't make one. I think they'd screw it up, but I would still go.:angel:

Raibaru
09-05-2009, 17:07
I like the script some have put up, but I think the greatest ending in the world for a 40k movie would be at the end to have the camera pan way out, turn really bright and smokey, and eventually take you to some alien world where you see a Farseer divining the loss of the world X attacked Y and you hear someone behind the Farseer say "All to plan my lord" -- "Of course. Ulthwe is spared yet again at the mere cost of 500 billion monkeigh".

Or something like that.

brother_fandango
09-05-2009, 17:39
Daniel Day Lewis= Leader of Eldar FTW

Col. Tartleton
09-05-2009, 19:08
I like the previous ideas, but I think you really need to create a movie that isn't based on a pre-existing battle. Not that a lot of people would know who would come out the victor, but I think putting an existing conflict from the core material on the big screen will probably end up under scaled.

My personal opinion is to do a Imperium Vs. Tau Empire. Not that other races are less good for a movie, but if you want a movie that will be "good" in a non "it managed to satisfy the fans" but in a "that was probably the best movie I've seen this year" kind of way. Have it open with a battle scene then have most of the movie be a mixture of flashbacks illustrating the nature of the two protagonists' cultures. Things like images of the Guardsman's life before he was conscripted and the tau's entire upbringing as a soldier. Not enough of this to totally take apart the story, the battle in the present should still be quite engaging, but three or four three-four minute flashbacks each will kill maybe twenty-thirty odd minutes of the film which would be a good 2.5-3 hours which won't really take away from the plot but it will really give you changing convictions about the characters.

The reason this is good is that through the whole film you will start off disliking the Imperials and respecting the "noble fire caste" things like scenes of humans in SS like outfits covered in religious iconography to a man who seems like a blatant corruption of Christ (put in some stuff about the Imperial cult as it goes) who are so war crazy that their officers will shoot them to "inspire" their comrades on. Watching them commit war crimes against the Tau will be disturbing as the viewer won't immediately realize the gravity of the Human races survival in the movie and that the laws of war are dead.

Right off the back you will assume "oh its a movie illustrating the evils of the human race as opposed to a sort of star trek star fleet alien race." Then as the movie continues and you begin developing the Tau character you begin to see that sure he is just as brainwashed, almost as xenophobic, and perhaps even more flawed then the humans. Have a scene of a previous battle where he is under the command of Brightsword and he receives orders to "Eliminate the Gue menace with extreme prejudice" and then watching him shooting fleeing women and children mercilessly and then throwing his bonding knife through a child and then walking up casually and withdrawing it before carrying on shooting at civilians who are hardly resisting. Then have a moment of his voice saying "For the Greater Good!"

After this scene you will realize that neither side is "good" and that all people are evil in a war. Rather than being a statement against the human psyche, its about the pointlessness of war. Not that the awesomeness of the battles will be lost on people. There needs to be a fine balance of glorifying war and making it look disgusting like in Apocalypse now. As the movie builds up more and more forces are deployed and it quickly stops being just about the two protagonists and their unremitting hate of the other and it will seem like madness as Imperial Armored Divisions wade across the blasted center of a city that's scale boggles the mind while Tau forces fewer in number but still shockingly large will assault them from the air (showing the scale of the hive). The entire movie will be about Tau forces invading a hive world which will allow a bit of xenophobic dialogue on both sides such as how "these Gue live like rats here, crammed into their decaying dwellings among their own feces. That is little surprise though for they are vermin."

Also show the two-facedness of Tau soldiers and their allies. Have a battalion of Gue'vesa be ordered to do their duty to the Empire and then as they charge into the fray heroically have a tau to another say how amusing it is to "Just watch these rats kill each other." and laugh. The Kroot will be called flesh eaters and carrion behind their back, things like that.

The Imperials need to be presented as noble but fanatical fighters with no mercy for the enemy who are still morally repugnant to the viewer. The Tau will be shown as sort of a insight into the human mind from the mouths of the Alien. The Tau will be symbols of political correctness and how its just a cover for racism, and they will be shown to be warhawks benefiting greatly from the insanity of these wars. The Imperium will come off as "Good Nazis" and the Tau will come off as "Evil Americans" which sort of balance each other out. Ultimately it will show that in the Grim Darkness of the 41st millenium, there is only war.

CordovaLemonSlayer
09-05-2009, 19:13
I'd love to see a W40K movie.... If they had some big name directors working on it, like steven spielburg, or Peter Jackson, and J.J. Abrams did pretty well on the new star trek movie so him too. Not only will it need a good director, it will also need a BIG budget, I mean like 200 million to show the full vastness of the 40K universe. and don't forget Industrial Light and Magic for special effects. maybe then we will get a descent W40K film.

Raibaru
09-05-2009, 20:34
Tartleton, that sounds pretty good actually. I personally think just portraying humans as the enemy will give the movie the edge and darkness it would need to feel like a proper 40k movie. But your method is equally valuable.

The only problem I have is I'm just not a fan of the Tau at all. I think your theme could easily be turned toward the Eldar and could even be more effective as you're not really doing it to expand an empire, but to save a mere handful of your own kind at the expense of billions.

Grimbad
09-05-2009, 20:55
Animated Deff Skwadron. No explanation, no need for explanation, just orks blowing each other up. And Killboy.

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 20:58
Animated Deff Skwadron. No explanation, no need for explanation, just orks blowing each other up. And Killboy.

I would watch this. Over and over again.

I like the previous ideas, but I think you really need to create a movie that isn't based on a pre-existing battle. Not that a lot of people would know who would come out the victor, but I think putting an existing conflict from the core material on the big screen will probably end up under scaled.
[snip]
The Imperials need to be presented as noble but fanatical fighters with no mercy for the enemy who are still morally repugnant to the viewer. The Tau will be shown as sort of a insight into the human mind from the mouths of the Alien. The Tau will be symbols of political correctness and how its just a cover for racism, and they will be shown to be warhawks benefiting greatly from the insanity of these wars. The Imperium will come off as "Good Nazis" and the Tau will come off as "Evil Americans" which sort of balance each other out. Ultimately it will show that in the Grim Darkness of the 41st millenium, there is only war.

No studio would ever allow this - it would cause annoyance, fustration and general dislike from screening audiences, in the modern cinematic climate you will notice a derth of Vietnam movies, which tend to portray the US as on the darker sides of grey. The current intrest is, in terms of American screening audiences and - to an extent - what studios will allow to take a huge buget, is for films that celebrate American patriotism (Transformers, Spiderman 3, more Die Hard, Rocky & Rambo etc). I'm not saying I agree with this, but the fact is a film such as the one you suggested would never get past an initial pitch - if it even got that far.

Not only this, but unfortunately I think you have gone too far in how you are portraying the Imperium for it to be intresting to the cinema audience who are likely to come and see a big budget sci-fi action film where superhumans kill aliens. If the Imperium were to be portrayed on screen, they are likely to be the Imperium of the video games - not a lovely, cuddly federation and infact much closer to the Empire of Star Wars (when the rebels aren't about, I imagine being an Imperial human isn't so bad). Yes they are xenophobic, but only in the way that humans are in any sci-fi film. The alien is evil, it should be killed.

This brings me onto my next point nicely - if we were to go and see a 40k film, we will walk out more dissapointed than any Xmen, Lord of the Rings, Twilight, Harry Potter, Blade, HP Lovecraft or whatever fan ever was. Because unlike those universes, which have a central writer, who says what is absolute - the 40k universe is written by each and every one of us in a slightly different way. In your areas 40k, Calgar might be an absoulte badass, and avoided in games. In my areas 40k perhaps he is a bit of a joke due to a couple of embarrasing defeats at the hand of a Chaos general, who is feared far more. This disparity taints your personal opinion and changes each persons 40k image in their mind. A single film will never affect all of these.

AntiPaladin
09-05-2009, 21:12
Speaking as someone who writes screenplays, IF (notice how big it is) a 40k movie was to be made, you guys are mostly out of luck with what I've seen you wanting so far. Actual 40k players would make up maybe .5% of the total target audience, meaning all the great fluff and ideas that have been tossed around will kick aside in favor of making a movie with a much broader appeal. This thing would have to make back it's $100 million+ budget, and I doubt you guys have that much spare cash to see it a few hundred times each.

It would instead be more like Starship Troopers meets 40k, focusing on big explosions and battles rather than dark, nuanced philosophy. Most of the background would be tossed aside and it would remain firmly centered on the most universal, easily identifiable objects and ideas. Meaning we'll get IG, Marines (because they're GW's flagship icon) Orks, and Eldar (Space Elves).

I've thought on this before and here's how I see it playing out from a commercial sense:

Opens on massive, planet-wide CGI battle between IG and Orks. Orks are slowly pushing back the IG and are about to break them.

Cut to interior of the Space Marine battle barge. Chapter Master stands before hundreds of marines giving a fiery speech about duty, loyalty, and the Emperor.

IG regimental command is about to be over run by the Orks, lead by a Warboss and Nobs when drop pods begin to rain from the sky, landing right near the Warboss.

Marines exit the drop pods and stage a break-through attack towards the Warboss, lead by the Chapter Master.

Chapter Master and Warboss have an epic duel, but Chapter Master wins, the Ork army flees, and the IG and Marines regroup.

At the IG regimental command the Chapter Master and IG commander discuss tactics when they're informed that the scouts have gone missing.

Chapter Master and marines investigate the disappearance and discover a secret Eldar enclave conducting a ritual.

Marines and Eldar battle, with the Farseer calling for peace, trying to explain that the Orks have stumbled upon an ancient evil that they will accidently unleash.

And from there is turns into the usual "Must journey with untrustworthy allies to prevent a big disaster."

Movies can only be commercially successful if they add just enough originality to an existing formula to stand out, without becoming too niche.

Raibaru
09-05-2009, 21:46
Well get to it AntiPaladin. I'd pay to see that. Maybe even twice if it has sufficient explosions and violence.

Though the script you have seems very similar to the Fire Warrior game. Didn't the Marines turn good half way through to help the Tau battle chaos or something? Been awhile since I played that game.

Col. Tartleton
10-05-2009, 05:05
But 40k isn't about people killing each other. A lot of sci fi franchises are, but not 40k. Star Trek is a thinking man's sci fi, Predator or Alien is just aliens and people killing each other, "40k is not a happy place. Rather than just being Darker And Edgier, it paints itself black and hurls itself over the edge. The Imperium of Man is an oppressive, stark, and downright miserable place to live in where, for far too many people, living isn't something to do until you die, but something to do until something comes around and kills you in an unbelievably horrible way - quite probably someone on your own side. The Messiah has been locked up on life support for the past ten millennia, laid low by his most beloved son, and an incomprehensibly vast Church Militant commits hourly atrocities in his name."

That's not just people killing each other, that's a whole lot of crazy.

If you think about it, 40k is about shocking the conscience until you don't feel anymore. That's how you should feel at the end of the movie. You should go in looking for a summer blockbuster bloodbath and leave with a sort of self repulsion that you enjoyed it. You have to think to yourself "Why did I enjoy that, that was the most brutal eye raping violence and deeply disturbing images I've seen outside of a ultra gory horror movie. But it wasn't a horror movie, I think I laughed and cheered..."

Vote Kantor
10-05-2009, 05:40
There is one thing that will most certainly happen if it hasnt already

Some idiot will write a report that goes like this:
"i think warhammer is a really cool guy, he kills aliens and dosent afraid of anything"

<shudders> i said it so some random wouldnt

Hellebore
10-05-2009, 06:38
This is the response I gave to a previous movie thread, a year or so ago:

Whether they make a movie or not, this is how I'd do one:

I would do the Horus Heresy in a trilogy (cliched perhaps) told from the perspective of an Imperial Scribe who is cataloguing it in the 41st Millenium (thus acting as narrator and putting the story in 40K perspective).

It would have a narrator voice over at the beginning from this scribe, explaining the existence of the god emperor and his great work.

SCRIBE: Terra, cradle of Mankind and Throne to Lord of us all, The Undying Emperor. It was here that the Blessed race of Man took his first tentative steps into the Void.

These words being scribed onto parchment as a scribe's voice reads them. This is superimposed over an image of the Earth.

As the voice continues to speak the numbers of years climbs higher at an ever increasing rate. As it flies past 2000 we start to see signs of activity. As the decades and centuries pass more and more activity begins to surround the planet. Rockets, shuttles and stations appear then disappear only to be replaced by bigger and better structures. The Green and blue masses of the planet morph into different shapes, more and more land disappears beneath the blue torrent. All the while, the white wisps of clouds appear, move then swirl around the globe at incredible speed.

SCRIBE: Many were the wonders our forebears encountered, and many were the horrors. Xenos filth, upstarts, usurpers possessed all that was Man's by divine right. War was waged, extermination achieved. Humanity prospered, ushering in the Golden Age of Man. Such hubris came at a price, and the follies of those who bent the dark sorceries of science to their wills were destroyed for their arrogance. And so, Man entered his darkest hour, the Age of Strife.

Here we see fading in and out images to accompany the narration, until we get to the earth being wracked with explosions and wars, ships being destroyed in orbit, and the colonies of man degenerating into barbarism.

SCRIBE: It was at our darkest that our brightest light appeared, delivering us from destruction. The God Emperor, Him on Earth, strode the domains of Man, raising us from our barbarism and bringing about a holy age. By his will was the Imperium forged. This is the tale of those times...

We follow the camera now, having flashed through history to the ~29th millenium, down through the atmosphere, across the ruins of ancient cities, the desolation of innumerable wars, and fields of the dead. We zoom to the walls of the Last Bastion, last wall between the Emperor and total dominion of Terra. The wall explodes inwards and the Custodian Guard pour through, killing all before them. Through the smoke and dust strides the Emperor, surrounded with a golden aura. Constantin Valdor strides forward dragging the last TechnoBarbarian chief of Earth to kneel before the Emperor of Mankind.
"It is done my Lord. Your Dominance is assured."
"Excellent Captain." The Emperor turns his gaze to the Barbarian. "Do you surrender yourself to me, to the Imperial Truth? Will you join me in bringing enlightenment to the Galaxy?" The Barbarian chieftain is unbowed, and spits at the Emperor's feet.
"None of my men will follow your falsehoods, daemon! Your death is worth any price." So saying the chieftain leaps forward, powered dagger in hand. A split second look is passed between Valdor and the Emperor, and nodding, Valdor turns his back, as do all the Custodians. The chieftain charges the last 10 feet toward the Emperor, but never makes it.
"So be it." He says, no expression in his voice, just the weight of ages. He raises his hand, and the chieftain lifts into the air. His cries of rage turn to cries of terror as, slowly, the Emperor clenches his fist, and the chieftain slowly crumples, his chest collapsing and his skull shattering. We see a shot over the shoulder of Valdor as blood sprays across his gold pauldron. The shredded corpes slips to the ground almost gently.
"Now Captain. Now my dominance is assured. And the enlightenment of Humanity awaits."

The first film would follow the Emperor's conquest of the Sol System, his creation of the primarchs, their subsequent loss and his development of the Space Marines. Horus would be found toward the end of the film and the Great Crusade put in motion (mybe with the origins of some of the other primarchs).

I would film every single primarch's discovery, but put in only a few and leave the rest for the DVD.

The second Film would begin several decades later with the Great Crusade in full swing, Horus the loyal Primarch by the Emperor's side. We would see the finding of the rest of the primarchs, and watch legions of marines and their lords smiting the enemy.

Basically the 2nd film would be one huge extended battlescene, hoping from warzone to warzone, with the interaction of the primarchs for character development (scenes that show the animosity between certain primarchs or Angron's hatred of the Emperor).

Horus becomes the Warmaster about half way through, and the Emperor disappears almost entirely from the film. This is the beginning of the end for Horus.

The Lodge of Davin and Horus' corruption would be the last scene of the film.

The third film would begin with the attack on Istvaan, and show the legions turn traitor.

All the great marine vs marine fights in the background would be in this (Prospero et al), culminating in the storming of horus' battlebarge and the deaths of Sanguinius, the Emperor, and Horus (oh and an Imperial fist terminator and one Olanius Pious).

It would probably end with the Emperor's internment into the golden throne with the other primarchs returning to earth.

I think a fade scene would be cool - showing the grandeur of the 31st Millenium fading to the gothic ruin of the 41st (say, by fading from 31st Terra, to 41st Terra).

And it couldn't be more 40K than to end with the Inquisition storming the scribes quarters and executing him for committing heresy against the god emperor by compiling an account of the Heresy - an account sanctioned 300 years earlier and then rescinded (but of course the termination order had yet to be received by the adept before he finished it ).

CGI would play a big part, I'm talking an ork wavefront in the billions charging across a continent toward an Imperial gunline.

Spaceship battles where 10 km long ships are blown apart etc.

CG is the only way to capture the ridiculous scale of 40k effectively.

And what cooler promo teaser could there be than Orf's O Fortuna playing with a black screen and flashes of carnage interspersed with the tag line:

In the Grim Darkness - of the Far Future - there is only-War!

Hellebore

Vote Kantor
10-05-2009, 06:48
Hellebore, done one one condition. Olanius Pius MUST BE A GUARDSMAN

Coffee
10-05-2009, 06:48
Look at how many authors have badly mangled 40k... a movie would be much, much worse... which is unfortunate, because I think there are many stories that would translate well to film, they'd just never get made (at least not properly).

Putting that aside, you have the problem of introducing the universe to the uninitiated without resorting to some contrived, expository nightmare. I think the only way you could really do that would be to do a Sin City-type affair with multiple stories. Trying to do a single story would either pigeonhole the setting (in the minds of the general public anyway) into a one dimensional conflict between Imperium vs whoever, or evolve into a horrid amalgamation of every plot point of the background. In a multi-story setup, you could introduce the different factions and forces of the Imperium itself individually, as well as introduce multiple antagonists. If that movie was successful, then you'd have the freedom to do films focusing on the big events of the setting, or even adapt some of the BL novels (I think Gaunt could work well, or even Cain, depending on how you play the humor).

EDIT: After reading Hellebore's idea: yeah, that'd work too.

Col. Tartleton
10-05-2009, 07:01
"So be it." He says, no expression in his voice, just the weight of ages. He raises his hand, and the chieftain lifts into the air. His cries of rage turn to cries of terror as, slowly, the Emperor clenches his fist, and the chieftain slowly crumples, his chest collapsing and his skull shattering. We see a shot over the shoulder of Valdor as blood sprays across his gold pauldron. The shredded corpes slips to the ground almost gently.
"Now Captain. Now my dominance is assured. And the enlightenment of Humanity awaits."

Darth Vader Much? :)

I give my hat to you chief, that is better than even my idea and I'm a hopelessly self loving person.

Hellebore
10-05-2009, 07:06
Darth Vader Much? :)

I give my hat to you chief, that is better than even my idea and I'm a hopelessly self loving person.

Yep, and he's the GOOD GUY. :p

That's what I love about the mind**** of 40k.

EDIT:

Hellebore, done one one condition. Olanius Pius MUST BE A GUARDSMAN

How about Ollanius Pious is a guardsman who is picked up by a chaos terminator and used to beat to death the Imperial Fist terminator and the Cusdotes, dying in the process?

That way they all 'save' the Emperor and Pious gets centre stage as the most badass meatclub of all time.

Hellebore

CommissarSean
10-05-2009, 07:09

Enter opening credits.

That would be so good i would have to go and see it like a million times just for the opening scene :D

if not something like that i would also want to see some like Horus heresy as these are some of the best books i hahve ever read :D

Vote Kantor
10-05-2009, 07:17
How about Ollanius Pious is a guardsman who is picked up by a chaos terminator and used to beat to death the Imperial Fist terminator and the Cusdotes, dying in the process?

That way they all 'save' the Emperor and Pious gets centre stage as the most badass meatclub of all time.

Hellebore

Deal. Deal. Deal. (character limit)

Awilla the Hun
10-05-2009, 09:13
One thing I don't want is Arnie in the movie. He's got his hands full with the competent Governence of California, and I say let him continue! America needs clever people as leaders...

Laser guided fanatic
10-05-2009, 09:31
One thing I don't want is Arnie in the movie. He's got his hands full with the competent Governence of California, and I say let him continue! America needs clever people as leaders...

No America needs more T-101s as leaders.

Seriously though there have been around 3 threads in the last couple of days concering the same subject. How to put forward the idea of Uberhammer 40,000 to a bunch of teenagers going to the cinema/ watching TV.

Well firstly GW need to make tonnes of cash and hire some decent writers because the current stuff they churn out of BL is absolutley rubbish.

Then they would need to pay for the film which on would cost arounf $80,000,000, I don't know how much GW makes each year but I'm guessing it's less than that.

Even if there was a film I could imagine intense whining from all the fluff gang because it would be inevitable that the fluff would be changed to make it better (which I don't really care about).

Cythus
10-05-2009, 11:38
love the idea Hellbore

Something on the horus heresy would be my faourite, but they'd need 5 films to doi it justice

love the idea about the emporer:
at the beginning the audience are like WTF I hope the good guy gets him
and
at the end they're like WTF HE'S THE GOOD GUY!!

Hellebore
10-05-2009, 15:28
That was the general idea, yes. The moral ambiguity in 40k is it's strength. It would be terrible (but very very likely) for it to become all American hero S.M. Joe where space marines are morally pure white knights crushing the aliens because aliens are bad.

5 films would be better yes. Something like:

1: The Emperor conquers Earth, produces the space marine legions and allies with Mars. At the end of the movie Horus is found and the Emperor sees a bright future, for if one primarch can be recovered, they all might be.

2: The Primarchs are all found and kicking ass across the galaxy. We see them fighting all sorts of enemies and we see the development of the Adeptus Terra and Horus encountering the Davinite Lodges. By the end of the film the characters are starting to tarnish as tempers fray and things do not turn out the way they should have.

3: Begins with perhaps a little story of the censure of Lorgar, driving him to chaos (although not explicitly stated). His Chaplain then becoming his mouth piece and them deciding to 'coerce' their brothers. The story continues to collapse as the Emperor is suddenly called back to Earth and Horus is left in charge of the Crusade as Warmaster. The end of the film is the bombing of Istvaan and the start of the Heresy proper. The entire galaxy is at war.

4: The famous battles of the Heresy, like the sacking of Prospero and attacks on Ultramar. The Emperor reeling at the news his most beloved son has done this. The continued destruction of loyalist forces. Horus embracing the power of chaos and his followers delving deeper into their corruption. What started out as a belief that they were the only ones who could stop the emperor from destroying humanity degrades into a chaotic pit of hate. Ends with a massive battle that leads to Imperial defeat and allows for the advance on the Sol System itself.

5: The battle for Terra. The ships invade the Sol system and bypass Mars. We have the most cataclysmic battle seen so far, at the gates themselves. Goes through the hasty defences, perhaps even flashing to Lion and Russ trying to reach Terra but being waylaid along the way and having to fight their way out of all sorts of horrors. Ends with the titanitc show down between Horus and the Emperor and the fade to the current Imperium where the scribe is executed.

Hellebore