PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings and Vampires Counts unite!

Ultimate Life Form
09-05-2009, 18:10
I recently realized that the two armies share a core unit. Well, thats not quite right, this is more to say I realized that it would be possible to have a few units of Skeletons and field them both for Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts. Saves a lot of time and money to use the same. However, my question is if it would hurt the looks of the army. No matter how neutral Id try to keep the units, I would at least need shields and a command, and those look quite different.

So I want to know if there is someone who does it. Mixing VC and TK armies. How do you do it? Does it look nice? It appears Lahmia can have a Khemri-based army without looking weird, but Im not particularily fond of Lahmia and also want to keep the VC looks. Can Tomb Kings accept VC Skeletons? Im looking forward to your replies.:)

And just to make this clear: Were talking about OLD VC Skeletons here. There is no way the new ones would fit in with Khemri... ever.;)

Bloodknight
09-05-2009, 18:12
Sure, there's nothing wrong with round shields.

Chiron
09-05-2009, 20:24
Yes, my TK army is based on the Celts so its easy enough to just add a few extra units, carrion become fell bats, skeletons stay as they are, horsemen become black knights, chariots become Black Coaches and Ushabti become Vargulfs

O&G'sRule
09-05-2009, 23:24
Its fine, but will depend on your opponents, I'd be fine with it but you're not playing me. In terms of looks, both types just look like a bunch of skeletons once alls said and done so they look as good as they can either way

Karlon
10-05-2009, 00:05
My Tomb King army is being built around the VC skeletons (see sig), and it did cross my mind to have a dual army based in Lahmia, but the armature is different and the armies have so many unique units that I am only saving a handful but spending a truckload.

Eumerin
10-05-2009, 07:48
The TK book has a short section that talks about the "Barrow Kings". This was a culture that pre-dated Sigmar and left a number of barrows scattered around the Old World and elsewhere. According to the TK book, there are a number of suspicious similarities between this ancient culture (including seemingly immortal druids that maintain a watch over the barrows...), and this could give you a starting point for the TK side of your combined TK/VC army since they'd look more "Old World"-ish than your typical TK army.

Gazak Blacktoof
10-05-2009, 11:06
I'd say you'd want to keep the trrops as plain as possible. The new skeleton swords or spears would be ok in either army. Your army would probably look better if you used two different sets of banners for your troops, which along with characters really help to define the viual identity of an army.

I think the colour of bases will eb one of the biggest problems visually.

Ultimate Life Form
10-05-2009, 12:38
I think the colour of bases will eb one of the biggest problems visually.

Yes, this is my greatest concern, and I have yet to come up with a solution for it. Thats why I started this thread.

Then again, considering current price rises, its probably best not to start TK at all.:p

Gazak Blacktoof
10-05-2009, 13:07
Perhaps a basing colour that wouldn't be "natural" for either army would solve the problem. Tomb Kings would look odd on a green base and vamps would look odd on sand. I'd suggested a blased wastes grey with some dead (brown) foliage.

Ultimate Life Form
10-05-2009, 13:35
Perhaps a basing colour that wouldn't be "natural" for either army would solve the problem. Tomb Kings would look odd on a green base and vamps would look odd on sand. I'd suggested a blased wastes grey with some dead (brown) foliage.

Yes, that way it would look like either dry, withered forest soil or a parched Southland steppe. Thanks! Ill think about it!:D

Chiron
10-05-2009, 18:49
Yes, that way it would look like either dry, withered forest soil or a parched Southland steppe. Thanks! Ill think about it!:D

I suggest you have a look here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73184) for some ideas in terms of bases (and other shiny things), by basing the army as if it was barrow kings/celtic it works fine imo

:angel:

edit: bugger, reorganised since then look here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v153/mibmgd/Warhammer/Tomb%20Kings/) for now

Ultimate Life Form
10-05-2009, 20:22
I suggest you have a look here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73184) for some ideas in terms of bases (and other shiny things), by basing the army as if it was barrow kings/celtic it works fine imo

:angel:

Well, thank you I suppose, but it tells me all photos except for two have been moved or deleted. Is this supposed to be right?:(

Chiron
10-05-2009, 23:37
All the links should be fixed now :)

w3rm
11-05-2009, 02:23
I say use Rare Earth Magnets to affix the banners and away you go!

PARTYCHICORITA
11-05-2009, 02:30
I combine units all the time. My WE bowmen are my HE archers, my shadow warriors and waywatchers use the same models (old WW) and to use skellies as TK and VC doesn't feel wrong to me.