PDA

View Full Version : pre heresy word bearers

sartarius
09-05-2009, 20:28
hey guys, im planning on doing a pre heresy word bearers army, and im wondering whats their fighting style and imagery etc
much appreciated :)
Sartarius

totgeboren
09-05-2009, 23:11
They used about the same tactics before and after the heresy. Mass waves of civilans/religious nutters as distractions, when they themselvs go and take out key positions.

They always were religious nutters, the only thing that changed with the heresy was the diety and the helm-design. Oh, and the colour. They had grey armour (as im sure you know?) :)

Maidel
09-05-2009, 23:48
They always were religious nutters, the only thing that changed with the heresy was the diety and the helm-design. Oh, and the colour. They had grey armour (as im sure you know?) :)

Depends on how far back you wanted to go. They were only the 'religeous' sort later on in the great crusade. They sorta got more and more 'emperor obsessive' and it pissed him off and told them they shouldnt worship him as a god.

So they didnt, they found a god that wanted worship :p

However right back at the begining they were probably closed to the black templars - very 'noble' and righteous and dedicated to the imperium, but not religeous fanatics (yet)

Ddraiglais
10-05-2009, 06:21

They turned to chaos before the HH. As a matter of fact, they were the ones that caused the Heresy.

Alessander
10-05-2009, 21:47
stone-grey armor, with lots of carvings of prayers on the armor. lots of parchment pinned to them. pre-heresy symbol was an open book with a flame (see http://seraphap.tripod.com/40kicons/ ) . during the heresy, they starting adding the daemon face to the armor, while still using the old color, then by the end were going red armor.

Whitehorn
10-05-2009, 23:43
They seem to be quite prophetic in that they had chapters - hence their ties to books.

Each chapter was 1,000 strong and has its own features - icon, some armour differences.

A good book to read is Battle for the Abyss since it involves Word Bearers.

Some chapter names from memory are:
The Crimson Mask
The Ebony Serpent
The Quillborn
The Burning Hand
Chapter of the Void
Chapter of the Opening Eye

Alessander
11-05-2009, 06:32
latest HH book (Tales of Heresy) has a good short story about them, I assume you've read it (possibly the inspiration for your question)?

Gorbad Ironclaw
11-05-2009, 06:54
They seem to be quite prophetic in that they had chapters - hence their ties to books.

Each chapter was 1,000 strong and has its own features - icon, some armour differences.

Chapters was a standard formation within the all the Legions. So really what the 2nd founding did was to break the Legions into formations that already existed (sort of at least).

Whitehorn
11-05-2009, 09:33
Chapters was a standard formation within the all the Legions. So really what the 2nd founding did was to break the Legions into formations that already existed (sort of at least).

Please provide reference or quotes to support this statement.

Tyruin son of Ages
11-05-2009, 10:05

Yeah, i dont think thats true i would go as far to say that it's total bull. No offence intended.
Anyways, back to word bearers, they would have been quite religouis, but maybe not fanatical depending on the time you choose to model them. Theyre armour would have been adorned with purity seals etc, and theyre armor would be very ornate as would theyre weponery.
Theyre tactics dont really differ much from post-heresy, but i digress.
If you want me to write background for a specific warhost company etc of word bearers pm and ill post it on your forum when your done.
Yours truly,
Tyruin son of ages.

The Emperor
11-05-2009, 13:01
Gorbad's right. Chapters were pre-existing units within Legions. Can't recall a specific reference at the moment, but that was the case. I'll dig that up tonight.

malika
11-05-2009, 13:35
Some stuff which might interest you:

Word Bearers during the Great Crusade/Horus Heresy (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190484)

True scale Word Bearers Invading Calth (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197881)

Word Bearers, Heresy era, help needed! (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195190)

On Lorgar (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192285)

Urath
11-05-2009, 21:41
Mm, they wouldn't be much different to most chapters of today. Well, save for the older marks of armour.

Gdolkin
12-05-2009, 01:44
Please provide reference or quotes to support this statement.
-Chapter Master Astelan of the Dark Angels, from "Angels of Darkness" and "Tales of Heresy".
-Chapter Masters Raldoron and Khitas Frome of the Blood Angels, from "Horus Rising".
-The Chapters of the Word Bearers mentioned in "Battle for the Abyss".
..All evidence of Pre-Heresy Chapters as formations of Companies within the Legions. Lord Commanders such as Eidolon and Vespasian of the Emperor's Children may have been equivalent to Chapter Masters. Before the Codex Astartes, each Legion did things their own way, so the Space Wolves Legion had 13 'Great Companies', the Death Guard Legion had 7 large companies, the Iron Warriors Legion had X 'Grand Companies' etc., and the Blood Angels and Dark Angels at the least also used 'Chapters' as formations of individual companies..

Whitehorn
12-05-2009, 14:22
That proves him wrong :)

Slipknotman21
12-05-2009, 16:27
Hey guys I've been watching this thread and just wanted to thank you for all the info I got from it,Lorgar's probably my favorite primarch followed by Dorn and Russ.