PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my Eldar Force Name!

Tourniquet
09-05-2009, 22:56
Ok i have nailed out 3 Solid lists i think for my Eldar. Now to come up with a name for them!

The Scheme is going to be Bleached bone Armour, with Regal Blue Helm And Shoulders. With a Small heart on the Left breast Armour Plate

This will be uniform across all models, including Aspect's

I have named the Exarch's and Farseer

Farseer Anastari (Raven)

Badd'Baharr - Female Storm (banshee)
Kiam'Kharanir - Fire Bearing (Dragon)
Addol'Angau - Transparent Fate (DA)
Ishil'Shem - Still Tears (DA)
Istaur'Isturrith - Silent Whispering (DA)

But i can not decide on a name. I like the Heart motif so i came up with

Zenzil'Lir - Broken Heart
Addol'Lir - Transparent Heart
Dorcha'Lir - Dark Heart
Dras'Lir - Shadow Heart

All are a bit gloomy seeming, but i will be writing back ground back ground about how they are shunned by the other Craftworlds and on the path of the Dark Eldar (Since i will be swapping to Dark Eldar when they are re-released) or i will make them a Pirate fleet. but wanted a darker sounding name for them

So, What do you like best!

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 22:59
Shadow Heart. I like the idea that they are, collectively starting down the path of the Pirate, and whilst not yet dark they soon will be...

Tourniquet
09-05-2009, 23:03
Thanks i was thinking similar!
When i get around t the Dark Eldar I could always call them the Cabal of the Dark Heart or some such
Thanks for the Input!

Pasquill
09-05-2009, 23:11
Sier'lir - Scattered heart
Rilli'lir - Shimmering heart
Amure'lir - Waining Heart
Destra'addinav - For the lolz.....

Edit another...

At'lir - Pale heart

Tourniquet
09-05-2009, 23:43
I like Amure'lir actually as well

TheBigBadWolf
09-05-2009, 23:51
Mmm, I like Zenzil'Lir - Broken Heart myself :)

Tourniquet
10-05-2009, 01:27
P.S. if you like non of the above, recommend some of your own ^.^

OhSoLame
10-05-2009, 01:35
Shadow Heart. I like the idea that they are, collectively starting down the path of the Pirate, and whilst not yet dark they soon will be...

Exactly what I was thinking.

Tourniquet
10-05-2009, 02:06
If i go with the shadow heart idea, instead fo a red heart on the chests i could paint it gray, or try and have a red heart fading into gray

Ubermensch Commander
10-05-2009, 04:05
I recommend a variation of Shadow Heart. I recommend 'Shadowed Heart" in order to convey the sense of loss that the Fall brought upon the Eldar. Reminiscent of the saying "He fought on, his heart heavy with grief."
In that sense, the Eldar fight on, despite their diminished condition.

Tourniquet
10-05-2009, 11:22
Thanks a lot for all the votes s far guys n gals!

Razarael
10-05-2009, 12:06
I like transparent heart. I think of all of those options it sounds the best and is the most natural to say. Also, I like the imagery and metaphor of a transparent heart. Shadow Heart seems far too cliche.

EldarBishop
10-05-2009, 12:48
I don't really care for Shadow or Dark...

Waning Heart (as someone suggested) seems good to me. Also, Broken or Transparent, I guess.
These seem to fit the "Eldar" a little better then the above two that I dislike.

Tourniquet
10-05-2009, 15:08
As i mentioned though the Eldar are on a fall. Not a Craftworld. I'm actually started up reading about Eldar enough so i can write a background that will do Eldar fluff justice, instead of just another mash of randomness!

Thanks to all 35 voters so far!
Especial thanks to those who added reasoning to the ones you liked or didn't like, much <3

Irisado
10-05-2009, 17:26
I rather like At'lir (Pale Heart), which was suggested by Pasquill, but I also rather like Zenzil'lir (Broken Heart), so I would opt for one of those two.

Since the latter was in your poll, I shall vote for that one.

Amareo Davion
10-05-2009, 17:35
I like zenzil'lir (broken heart). I also like waning heart.

Tourniquet
10-05-2009, 17:46
Dras'Lir took of to a strong start, but was then caught up by Zenzil'Lir.
There seems to be a few whom rather like Waning Heart as well.

Keep the votes coming!

Tonight I'm going to try and nail out some fluff + i found another name or 2 i like, so in a few days i will take the highest of these, with some new ones and some fluff as a final vte off. Thanks a lot for all the votes so far guys, warseer community is awesome <3

Lordsaradain
10-05-2009, 20:53
"Addol'Lir - Transparent Heart" sounds most original. Go for it.

Corpse
10-05-2009, 23:34
"Adol'lir" sounds more attune to the eldar language then the other choices, so I picked it for that reason.

Also, transparency is bit of a vague description, or a fading object description, or redundant (opposite) of the objects regular role. (A transparent heart could be a cold and evil heart, rather then a feeling emotional heart)

I think into things too much sometimes.

Gensuke626
11-05-2009, 00:11
What would the Translation for "Rebels of the Sacred Heart" be? Cause I want to tell OP to make a Flogging Molly Themed Eldar army.

Tourniquet
11-05-2009, 00:18
I don't know the translation for that.
i am using Eldar Language (http://tauonline.org/Article/88/EldarAtoZ/) for my translations

Razarael
11-05-2009, 00:59
Nice website. I like it. Perhaps something ironic would be good. I mean, people that are aware of their descent into darkness would do anything to try to ignore it or at least pretend that it wasn't happening or that it could be prevented. Just because your Eldar were shunned, doesn't mean they wouldn't believe that their way was more right than those who shunned them. Otherwise they would have accepted that they were wrong and done what they could to apologize. It's the way of the world really, where people naturally believe that what they do is correct.

Ask any of those people from the Heaven's Gate cult (oh wait, you can't) whether they believed they were correct. Just like any cult or group that is sepperated from the rest of society, their collective opinions will be reinforced because they are surrounded by people who agree the same thing. Homogeneous thought doesn't lead to radical differences in opinion, but just the opposite. It allows people to become absorbed in their idea and feel good about their choices despite being outcast for it.

So, with that, I believe that something ironic would be a good way to really boost the imagery behind your group. And I think this word would fit in well -

Rhiantha: Literally means 'the starlight which shines upon the water of Rhidhol in the winter', but is loosely means 'mourner.'

I would change it a tad to be Rhian'Lir - Shining Heart. The play on words is this- Rhiantha is usually a word meaning mourner, representing your groups despair at having been outcast, and their attempts to come to grips with what happened. But eventually, due to being surrounded by like minded individuals, they become more proud in their beliefs and no longer feel the shame they did before, so in their new guise, they are no longer 'mourning' but they are 'shining bright' in their beliefs. By using a portion of the same word, it allows them to remember where they came from and accept it. A bit of self actualization, as it were.

But remember, just because something looks pretty and shiny on the outside, that doesn't mean that the glossy coat isn't hiding something dark and horrible underneath. If they are truly headed to the path of the Dark Eldar, delusions are all part of the game.

So... Rhian'Lir is my new recommendation.

PhantomRonin
11-05-2009, 02:11
how about "The Order of Effeminate Toothfairies" ? That work?

Radium
11-05-2009, 12:49
Dras'Lir. It has a nice ring to it, and it's meaning is very fitting for the Eldar, being a shadow of their former glory and all.

Tourniquet
11-05-2009, 13:19
Tanks for the opinions!

I also like Dras'Lir because its shows that my group are a shaodw of their former selves