PDA

View Full Version : Non-GW model for 40K?

elone
10-05-2009, 03:34
I am wondering what most people think about using Non-GW model. I would like a IG army but I really dislike the GW's guardmen. I would like to use pig-iron model and give them IG's gun. Would it be legal in most game convention in US?

unclejimbo827
10-05-2009, 03:40
Some blue-shirt types might get mad since the rule is 80% GW model or something, but most indy stores should be alright with it.

Maine
10-05-2009, 04:07
It most likely would not be allowed at official tournaments, and even independent tournaments can be iffy. Each tournament organizer will have their own take on it, but be ready to hear the word "No" often. Same for friendly pick-up games, each person will have their own standard. It's not something that comes up too often, though.

If you model and paint them nicely, potential opponents will probably be more incline to play against the army. Make sure everything is obvious what it represented - don't point to something that looks like a machine gun and say "this is my lascannon".

Also, as for the regular gun, they could be counts-as Lasguns, so you may not need to replace them. Autoguns (basically automatic rifles), when they existed in the Codex, were statistically identical to Lasguns.

Lord Humongous
10-05-2009, 04:57
Using GW bits for all your upgrade options can go a long way towards making non GW models acceptable to more players; people expect a power sword or plasma gun to look a certain way, for example, and will likely consider it "WYSIWYG" if such upgrades are standard GW bits. Basic guns are less an issue; few people are gonna care what sort of rifle a basic guardsman has.
Personslly I LIKE seeing non GW models. I've used a lot of them (with some weapon swaps) for Necromunda gangers.

Ddraiglais
10-05-2009, 06:16
Yeah, I like Pig Iron's guys.

The vast majority of tournaments would say no. It's iffy on what the independent retailers would allow. That's up to the store owner. Most people that play in their garage/living room/basement/ kitchen probably wouldn't mind though.

BuFFo
10-05-2009, 07:07
I am wondering what most people think about using Non-GW model. I would like a IG army but I really dislike the GW's guardmen. I would like to use pig-iron model and give them IG's gun. Would it be legal in most game convention in US?

The Answer is simple.

-Do you play at a GW store? If no, continue...

-Do you play at Tournaments*? If no, continue...

-Are the players at your local game store dicks? If no, continue...

Congrats!! You can buy and use whatever the hell you want!

*This will be different according to each tourney. Most won't allow them, but some, like the US GT Necro in Orlando, Florida, allows models from any game range to be used.

brgerkng
10-05-2009, 08:14
While I would expect that for tournaments you will have a problem, I don't see an issue if you're just looking to play games at a local store or with friends. One of the guard players in our group uses toy soldier figures on GW bases for a few squads. I don't think anyone of us has had a problem with it.

Sorros
10-05-2009, 12:44
At a GW and some tournies, I suppose so, unless you converted them with some random bits that would make them more suitable. I use certain models to just represent a couple of guys that I'm missing from my list, like a trio of old musicians for DAs, and no one really cares where I go. Some guys even use warhammer orks for boyz, and people let that slide. It just depends on the people you're dealing with.

Lord Humongous
10-05-2009, 14:37
The vast majority of tournaments would say no.

Large officially run torunaments, yes. But (at least in the USA) the vast majority of tournaments are small local affairs with no GW presence and thus no reason to turn away an army based on the models used. I've never seen one of those that did not allow non-GW figures, although I've also never seen anybody push it past a few scattered models or a single squad.

Tymell
10-05-2009, 14:42
Basically, as most have said, it depends on the actual GW presence. The more GW is in control, the less likely they are to allow non-GW models.

Which is a rule I've never understood, it just seems needlessly narrow-minded. After all, you're still playing 40K, and so long as your opponent can tell what the model is supposed to be (which is covered by the WYSIWIG rule) where's the harm?

In this particular case I personally would have no problem with it at all: Pig Iron models with lasguns would obviously be guardsmen, so I see no real area of confusion.

Pacific
10-05-2009, 16:51
I've used non-GW resin casts for parts of my marines and not ever had any problem using them in a GW store.

My IG, although utilising pig-iron heads and a few other bits, actually involve a box of cadians and a box of Brettonian soldiers for the rank and file guardsmen - GW are essentially making twice as much money as had I just used Cadians straight out of the box, and so there is absolutely no grounds for them being illegal outside of a tournament that specifically forbades their use.

Gorbad Ironclaw
10-05-2009, 19:35
It most likely would not be allowed at official tournaments, and even independent tournaments can be iffy. Each tournament organizer will have their own take on it, but be ready to hear the word "No" often. Same for friendly pick-up games, each person will have their own standard. It's not something that comes up too often, though.

I can see your point about GW's own tournaments but I've never seen anyone else have issues with it. I certainly can't imagine the indy events turning your army down because it's not GW models. As long as they look right and you can tell weapons apart etc. I don't see why there should be an issue.

It's a little more troublesome if you play in a GW store, but that depends on your local area. I don't think I've ever played a game in a GW store and haven't attended a GW tournament in many years so it wouldn't be an issue for me.

Skyrir
10-05-2009, 20:39
Does the OP have something against pluraliazing words?

Also most stores are fine with with it as long as they look like guardsmen, though I don't know about tournament legality?