PDA

View Full Version : Help me! (lizardmen)

Gorthaur
10-05-2009, 06:29
I recently have decided to start a Lizardmen army, I used to do LOTR...all I currently have is 10 temple guards and the book, im a pretty slow painter, and I just want to get an army on the table...so I came up with this 1k pt army:

Saurus Scar Veteran-w/scimitar of sun,light armor,shield-143 pts

Skink Chief-55 points

16 Saurus Warriors with musician,banner, and leader-196 pts

16 Skinks with musician, and banner, with 2 kroxigors-212

10 temple guard with leader (has sword of striking) musician, banner :chotec sun standard-260 pts

Barbed Razordon-75 points

10 skink skirmishers w/ blowpipes

total: 1003 pts

is this a decent army? im not sure about the skinks/w kroxigors, but I love the look of the kroxigor minis so I really want to include at least two. I debating on whether I should have taken Gor-Rok or Chakax as my hero, but I decided to go with the scar veteran because hes cheaper. any help is appreciated!

Elblanco
10-05-2009, 06:41
I know the Temple Guard look really cool, but never take them without a slann. If you can somehow get a bunch of other stuff really quick, you'll probably won't have to have them, but if you just plan on buying all of that, i guess they would be alright. I have to take them most of the time, since i don't really have many.

Anyway, my point was to not take them without a slann. That and it's good to have a unit of saurus that will have either 5 or 6 to a rank, and full ranks at that as well, to take advantage of the extra ranks for combat res. but other then that, it doesn't look too bad. Gor-Rok would be an alright choice, but kinda pricey. And Chakax is the same as TG, never take him without a slann.

Master Stark
10-05-2009, 06:54
I recently have decided to start a Lizardmen army, I used to do LOTR...all I currently have is 10 temple guards and the book, im a pretty slow painter, and I just want to get an army on the table...so I came up with this 1k pt army:

Skink Chief-55 points

10 temple guard with leader (has sword of striking) musician, banner :chotec sun standard-260 pts

is this a decent army? im not sure about the skinks/w kroxigors, but I love the look of the kroxigor minis so I really want to include at least two. I debating on whether I should have taken Gor-Rok or Chakax as my hero, but I decided to go with the scar veteran because hes cheaper. any help is appreciated!

Well, your army is currently 3 points over the limit. Drop a command figure in one of the units to bring your army back under the limit.

Gorthaur
10-05-2009, 06:58
Well, im either going to have to rework it so I dont have temple guard, or go to 2k pts and have a slann with some temple guard hmm.

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-05-2009, 07:10

Skink Chief-55 points

Templeguard are much better with a Slann they become Immune to Psychology and Stubborn. Without a Slann thier a bit expensive and are less offensive than Saurus with spears. Thier almost unbreakable with a Slann and coldblooded ld. Thier still a great anvil but expensive and can be auto broken by being outnumbered by fear causers without the Slann. Of course without having Immune to Psycholgy you can flee a charge if you think it that will happen. I think you'd be better off using them for now as Saurus Warriors until you get to the 2000 pt. range and field them with a Slann.

A priest or a chief on a stegadon are a good option at low point values. It's a little dirty some might consider at such low pt. games but it means you will need to paint less models. Thats the only reason I mention it. A skink chief is not such a good buy unless mounted on a stegadon/ancient or terradon with a terradon unit. Your magic defense is weak so instead get a priest ( I'd go on foot at 1000 pts. ) and give him diadem of power. That gives you 5 dispel dice to play with and should be enough at 1000 pts.

You can't go wrong with more skinks/skirmishers. Very easy to paint as well. You can even convert 10 of them into chameleon skinks quite easily. You need atleast one unit that can deal with warmachines and terradons are expensive and less easy to paint. Coldones are also a good buy since you need a fast heavy hitter that can threaten flanks while your saurus blocks hold the center.

I honesty think the 120 or so point 1 krox in skink units with no command except maybe a musician are a better option as a support flanker. If you go 2 krox your better off just getting another spear saurus unit which is more reliable and since they can't turn avoid using them to hold your flank without support. They work great when supported though.

Razordons are a great unit but you may want to consider a salamander as well. Both are similar but have slightly different roles. Razordons being slightly better at getting thorugh high toughness troops and a great deterant on the flanks. Sallies are better at killing tons of weak rank and file and occasionally if you can get a flank shot off killing knights.

Elblanco
10-05-2009, 07:44
Well, your army is currently 3 points over the limit. Drop a command figure in one of the units to bring your army back under the limit.

You do know that a small amount over the limit, such as 3 points, is perfectly fine right? as long is it's like under ten or so, it doesnt matter.

Master Stark
10-05-2009, 09:20
A stegadon (or two) and Slann will go a long way to punching this army out to 2,000 points without breaking the bank.

You do know that a small amount over the limit, such as 3 points, is perfectly fine right? as long is it's like under ten or so, it doesnt matter.

So what you're saying is that you don't play 1,000 or 2,000 point games, you play 1,010 or 2,010 point games?

Well, why not just come right out and say that? I don't mind people playing odd points limits, but why describe it as 1,000 + 10 points?

Vampiric16
10-05-2009, 10:44
My policy on points is to go with the lower difference e.g. 3 over rather than 10 under and vice versa.
The only real uses for a chief are as a hero/ warmachine hunter (terradon), or on a stegadon with the stegadon spear. The latter is simply awesome: boosts the steg's leadership to 7 and grants it 2d6+1 impact hits, and its a lance so he gets 3 S6 attacks on the charge. And the poison is just gravy.

Gorthaur
10-05-2009, 18:23
Eventually I do plan to bumping it to 2k with a Slann, and some Stegadons, but as for now..should I keep the scar vet with scimitar of sun/shield/light armor as my leader? so now its looking like..

Skink Priest-w/diadem of power-90 pts

20 Saurus Warriors with spears, musician,banner, and leader-260 pts

8 Skinks with musician, and banner, with 1 kroxigors-107 pts

Barbed Razordon-75 points/w extra skink handler-80 pts

10 skink skirmishers w/ blowpipes and brave-76 pts

should I add more Saurus? throw in a few Terradons? or a stegadon instead? I cant take any more special choices.

Elblanco
10-05-2009, 18:50
A stegadon (or two) and Slann will go a long way to punching this army out to 2,000 points without breaking the bank.

So what you're saying is that you don't play 1,000 or 2,000 point games, you play 1,010 or 2,010 point games?

Well, why not just come right out and say that? I don't mind people playing odd points limits, but why describe it as 1,000 + 10 points?

Because most tournaments play in 2000 o 2250. so a handfull of points over, really doesn't matter. You're just being overly picky.

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-05-2009, 19:22
Here's my list @1000 pts. I don't know if this helps or not but atleast consider that scar-vet. He is amazing 0+AS eats other heros for breakfast. He's a really good character killer and is very hard to kill. I prefer to field him in my coldones but against undead, daemons etc. it's not a bad idea to put him in the saurus block since the coldone causes fear making them Immune to it. You can even do a little fear causing yourself against non fear causing armies by charging with Coldones, Skink/Krox and the Salamander with the Scar-vet that's unit strength 18 for fear causers. Not bad for no steggies.

Lizardmen 1000 pts.

-------------------------CHARACTERS--------------------------
[250]

Scar-Veteran on Cold One - [160]
-Piranha Blade
-LightArmour
-Enchanted Shield

Skink Priest [90]
Diadem of Power

-----------------------------CORE--------------------------------
[430]

10 Skinks Skirmishers - [70]

14 Saurus Warriors [180]
- Spears
- Standard

11 Skinks [110]
- x1 Kroxigor

----------------------------SPECIAL---------------------------
[245]

5 Cold One Cavalry [185]
- Musician

5 Chameleon Skinks [60]

-----------------------------RARE--------------------------------
[75]

Salamander or Razordon Hunting Pack [75]

Gorthaur
10-05-2009, 21:19
I like the look of that list, so can you put a scar vet on cold one in a regiment of saurus or does he go on foot? would you reccomend a Razordon or Salamander if I were to use your list? I was trying to buy a Kroxigor and Razordon at GW over the weekend and one guy said they hadnt released new kroxigor models yet, and that the Razordon was direct only? pretty weird...

hardygun
10-05-2009, 21:48
You probably don't want Braves in your skink units. Braves just get munched any time they have to fight a challenge, which can easily result in a lot of extra combat res if you get caught by a killy character. I find it's often better to spend the points on an extra skink which gives the unit an extra wound and an extra shot.

Gorthaur
10-05-2009, 22:02
I am going to go with a hawk turquoise skin color, with very dark grey scales that have very light grey edge highlights, anyone have tips on painting jungle bases?

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-05-2009, 22:31
I like the look of that list, so can you put a scar vet on cold one in a regiment of saurus or does he go on foot? would you reccomend a Razordon or Salamander if I were to use your list? I was trying to buy a Kroxigor and Razordon at GW over the weekend and one guy said they hadnt released new kroxigor models yet, and that the Razordon was direct only? pretty weird...

Yes you can field/join a Scar-vet on coldone in saurus units. The only downside it the coldone suffers stupidity but most of the time it's not a problem with coldblooded ld. So I prefer to field him in the CO unit so only one units is testing for stupidity. Like I said though it's very helpful to against armies that cause fear to put him with the Saurus.

I prefer sallies over razordons. Both are good choices but I find the sallies more killy and useful against more things. The panic checks they can cause with shooting is amazing. They take a little getting used to with the template scatter shot but you'd be surprized how much damage they can deal sometimes.

I buy stuff from a local independant store which is all there is in my area but they had the new 7th ed. Kroxigors there. The store is usually pretty well stocked even for a small store they always have the latest stuff but no direct sales items. The only items I recall they didn't have are Razordons, New Terradons, Lord Kroak, Kroq-gar on carnosaur, the old scar-vet BSB or the new one, Old Stegadons ( replace by new kit ) old TempleGuard ( replaced by new kit ) No Chakax or tic-tac-toe. Everything else they had.

Edit: Bases. If you can find a hobby shop that sells fake Lichen ( I believe it's called ) it looks really good with lizardmen. If not any store that sells aquarium supplies is good ( for little plastic plants etc. ). Or you could just use elmers glue spread some on the base with anything sharp ( a pencil will work ) dip in sand shake off excess let it dry completely. Then use some watered down glue and paint over it with a crappy old brush ( this will make the sand stay better ). Then you can add little extras if you wish. Let dry then paint it and add some little patches of static grass.

Check the hobby and painting section here theres a sticky thread with plenty of ideas for basing. Hold on a sec I'll see If I can find it.

Found it here...http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29528

Gorthaur
11-05-2009, 00:23
I have some fake lichen already, along with GW glade and regular grass, I really want to capture the Lustria feel to them, I might cut up some plasticard and make it look as if they are in a temple city made of worn out, ruined and overgrown gold, though im not sure if that would look good, seeing as how all their armor and weapons are going to be gold...I dont want to make them look too cluttered with gold. I will probably take your advice and take a Salamander over a Razordon, though I really prefer the Razordon mini...hopefully my local independant retailer stocks in a Kroxigor and a Salamander so then I dont have to order it online.

Duke Georgal
11-05-2009, 00:55

Not around here!

If it is OK with your group, then fine.

If someone in our group brings 1,003 points to a 1K game, he is cheating!

997 is OK.

Master Stark
11-05-2009, 14:34
a handfull of points over, really doesn't matter. You're just being overly picky.

No, it's just playing by the rules. The limit is just that, the limit. If you want to play a 2000 + 10 points game, then thats fine. But don't describe it as a 2000 point game.

Gorthaur
11-05-2009, 15:12
Here's my list @1000 pts. I don't know if this helps or not but atleast consider that scar-vet. He is amazing 0+AS eats other heros for breakfast. He's a really good character killer and is very hard to kill. I prefer to field him in my coldones but against undead, daemons etc. it's not a bad idea to put him in the saurus block since the coldone causes fear making them Immune to it. You can even do a little fear causing yourself against non fear causing armies by charging with Coldones, Skink/Krox and the Salamander with the Scar-vet that's unit strength 18 for fear causers. Not bad for no steggies.

Lizardmen 1000 pts.

[250]

-Piranha Blade
-LightArmour
-Enchanted Shield

Skink Priest [90]
Diadem of Power

[430]

14 Saurus Warriors [180]
- Spears
- Standard

11 Skinks [110]
- x1 Kroxigor

----------------------------SPECIAL---------------------------
[245]

5 Cold One Cavalry [185]
- Musician

5 Chameleon Skinks [60]

-----------------------------RARE--------------------------------
[75]

Salamander or Razordon Hunting Pack [75]

are those 5 Chameleon skinks realy worth it? or do you think the points could be better spent on more Saurus warriors?

Gork or Possibly Mork
12-05-2009, 02:32
are those 5 Chameleon skinks realy worth it? or do you think the points could be better spent on more Saurus warriors?

Actually this would probably be better. I took the musician off the Coldones and changed one skink skirmishers to normal skinks. This frees up enough points to get 3 terradons instead ( to hunt warmachines, marchblock, drop rocks etc. ) and the normal skinks are one of the best redirectors in the game. Chameleons are good but 5 won't do much.

Lizardmen 1000 pts.

[250]

-Piranha Blade
-LightArmour
-Enchanted Shield

Skink Priest [90]
Diadem of Power

[410]