PDA

View Full Version : LamesDay and the GW Quagmire

BirchbarktheAncient
10-05-2009, 13:26
I think it's safe to say that GW has been stuck in a quagmire of LamesDays for the past 5-6 years. Each year, the effort to excite their base is less. The new release cases get smaller and smaller. The lame keeps getting lamer. When you think of it, you spend quite a bit of money just getting to lamesday. It's 20 bucks for gas there and back. 20 bucks for parking. 20 bucks for lunch(if you stay in the arena). 45 bucks to get in the door. Oh, and wow, I get a figure that I may not even have a use for(and yes, I'm aware of the separate cost for the figure, redshirts).....so why am I paying 100 bucks to do the same thing I can do at their stores???? Games-workshop has taken such a downward tailspin from where it used to be. They used to have informative seminars with good Q&A's afterwards. Now, we simply get these tired looking blokes at seminars who treat the audience like, "hey, you're lucky we even ALLOW you to be in our presence." It's really sad. This company and their power brokers have truly become a joke.

dsw1
10-05-2009, 13:29
I'm guessing you didn't enjoy it this year?

Ixquic
10-05-2009, 13:42
I've never understood the point of Gamesday, especially since anything there can be done outside of it without having to pay an entrance fee and the "news" you get has been on the internet for two months. I guess if you really like cons you could enjoy it but there are far better nerd conventions out there.

BirchbarktheAncient
10-05-2009, 13:53
Exactly, Ixquic. And honestly, if one more redshirt says,"hey guys, this is gonna be the greatest Gamesday ever..." LOL, what a joke this company has become.

BirchbarktheAncient
10-05-2009, 13:54
The lame just keeps getting lamer.

Ixquic
10-05-2009, 14:07
Oh yeah did anyone punch Mat Ward at his panel? That would have been worth the $25.

Griefbringer
10-05-2009, 14:28
Shouldn't this be in the general GW discussion?

O&G'sRule
10-05-2009, 15:08
I haven't been to one for 10 years, theyre not the most interesting of things

Duke Georgal
10-05-2009, 16:41
I have not been to Games Day since it stopped being held in Atlanta.

I only ever went to participate in the Golden Daemon competition. That was what attracted me. The rest of the event was always very lame.

Well... speed painting was always fun. Especially if a few Golden Daemon competitors were at the table with you.

The noise coming from the 40K mega battle was always more than enough to drive you out of your mind.

I attended a seminar once on figure maufacturing and sculpting, but what was really presented was boring financial stuff. Who cares what it cost to produce a figure? I wanted to know how it was done. The decision of how to pose. Concept art vs. actual figure.

Boring.

blueon462
11-05-2009, 00:13
While GW has had its moments in the past, I went in Baltimore this year and I thought it was pretty good, best one in awhile anyhow. I liked how they got rid of their pointless tourney and replaced it with a bunch of club held events. Some of those were pretty fun and it was cool to see the new TK area in WAR. My only real complaint is that there were no releasing of any new info about upcoming books besides what was already known, last years preview of Dark Elves was pretty cool. So while its not GenCon or anything like that... they are moving in the right direction i think.

Also, Some of your costs are abit off... I went to eat at the Inner Harbor shops for 10$ are you really fat and lazy enough to not leave any pay 15 dollars more for inferior food? Also, if the mini is pointless there is no need to add its cost to the price, especially since they got smart and finally made it your decision whether to buy it or not 25 bucks to get in is a pretty good deal.

Gorthaur
11-05-2009, 01:00
Well, at least you had a Games Day nearby, I live in LA, and apparently they arent having an LA Games Day this year...I attented the LA in 2007, it was pretty fun, but I didnt enjoy the scenery make and take, cause they gave me 40k buildings...I dont like 40k much...anyways, main reason why I went there in 2007 was to play the Warhammer Online beta...shame that game turned out to be horrid, I had high hopes for it...they need to add Lizardmen/Skaven, the remaining capital cities, give us more to do and then MAYBE I will resubscribe...but that 15 bucks a month could be better spent on some miniatures (though there really arent many miniatures you can get for a flat 15 bucks these days)

Ravenous
11-05-2009, 01:20
Exactly, Ixquic. And honestly, if one more redshirt says,"hey guys, this is gonna be the greatest Gamesday ever..." LOL, what a joke this company has become.

GW being a joke didnt really hit me until I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzb_6ewEPwY Draw whatever parallels you will.

Shamfrit
11-05-2009, 01:24
GW being a joke didnt really hit me until I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzb_6ewEPwY

Translate: 'We wouldn't know premium models even if they came alive and called you a noob.'

I love it :D

w3rm
11-05-2009, 01:48
I dunno... I went to Baltimore this year and had a Blast. Lots of fun things to do like conversions, speed painting, and gaming. My friend picked up a metal steggy for 15 bucks as GW was getting rid of it. I got two free metal assassins and 3 metal arrer boyz. My bro got 2 dwarf drunks(really funny models) and my steggy friend got two metal hounds. One guy I was sitting next to at the conversion made 5 chaos possessed and I made a cool looking hero with a CSM arm and a spwan claw and 7 WoC. My bro made a really cool diorama of a maurader getting pwndedded by a Warrior. I think anyone who thinks that is boring is crazy... I got $15 worth of metal arrrer boyz and two $10 Skaven figures. That's $35 worth of minis and the figures I made at conversions it was probably worth around $45 in stuff

Last year me and my bro got

3 Uruk-Hai Berzerkers
3 LoTR Elven Archers
3 LoTR Bandits
1 Tau Ethreal
2 of the SM models tey gave you for going
3 Ironbreaker Command
3 Skaven Gutter Runners
1 Dark Rider
1 Gamesday T shirt
Most of this was from WAAAAGING at random red shirts with baskets full of minis)

You guys are crazy. That's a lot of stuff and you guys are just angry at GW for the power creep and their prices so just lay and enjoy the hobby... Jeez!

sneb
11-05-2009, 02:05
I've never understood the point of Gamesday, especially since anything there can be done outside of it without having to pay an entrance fee and the "news" you get has been on the internet for two months. I guess if you really like cons you could enjoy it but there are far better nerd conventions out there.

The bold section is the point of games day,the rest is just nonsense.

BrazenSix
11-05-2009, 03:06
Well, I've never been... and I was thinking on attending the Toronto Games Day this year. I dunno, sooo many younger kids running around with mom's and dad's money "waaaghing" at you or making up rules is what stopped me from gaming at my local shop a number of years ago. I have a feeling these days bring out the worse. :(

Shamfrit
11-05-2009, 03:18
"waaaghing" (

Yeah, and annoyingly, the one time I was in the Cardiff Store, not one of the four people (teenagers really) even played Orks!

Still, the UK Gamesday is a pretty eventful occurence allround :)

Dark_Knight
11-05-2009, 11:22
My friend and I went to GENCON last year and that was an awesome event. Well planned, plenty to do, and the lines were easily manageable. GW should bring in other companies to reinvigorate the base and build on it. There are too many people that haven't even been exposed to GW products yet. People playing card games might start to play GW battles just by seeing other people playing GW games. My friend said that Gamesday this year had ridiculous lines and was poorly coordinated with a terrible costume contest to boot.

HannibalSW
11-05-2009, 11:40
Go to GamesDay and build some buildings at the Scenary make and take. They crack $150 boxes of Cities of Death open like its sex on tap. I threw something together worth at least 30-40 bucks, and you can always go back and make another. Don't like that? Maybe you go to the conversion contest and who says you even need to convert something! There were people there who made 16 man blocks of warrios of chaos, instead of making a conversion, and they were WOMEN no less. Yes, it sucks fi you don't play WoC, but you can sell'm on ebay or something. Also, I managed to only spend $3 on food this year, buying a pretzel and I took some cereal bars to munch on in between.

Now, I will agree that there was not much going for Gamesday. I only started going three years ago. I agree it takes gas, I didn't pay for the model this year so my ticket was less, so it can rack up fast. The banner contest and costume contest were pushed up much earlier, so much earlier some people didn't make it to the contest in time. It was a shame because there was a chick in a Bright Wizard costume that was pretty good. It just felt kinda rushed and lackluster, very "meh".

Checking out some Golden Demon models killed some time, some nice stuff in there. Armies on parade killed some time, the Genestealer cult was a pretty nice looking army. (so ten minutes later) I played at a few of the gaming club tables. Went to the WORST WORST WORST seminar ever. They basically threw some dude that worked on the codexes and two sculptors in a room, made an excuse the powerpoint didn't work, mumbled the whole time, had no concept of briefing to a crowd, briefed nothing, and had the crowd field questions to which we all knew GW would never give an answer.

Maybe they will revamp it one year. Maybe after going to GENCON, Gamesday just felt insignificant.

Rubicon
11-05-2009, 14:07
Oh woe is me....Games Day is aimed at younger gamers. Fact of life. Perhaps they enjoy it because they aren't as jaded and obsessed about their 'rights as a consumer'.

All due respect, grow a pair

Bregalad
11-05-2009, 18:12
Here is a thread on the same topic in the right forum:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198468