PDA

View Full Version : Yep another choose my army thread!

Ertle
10-05-2009, 17:39
Well after not really getting any new fantasy stuff for a while I've decided to get a new army the only thing is I cant decide what one. I was thinking something with smaller units seeing as how I play goblins and they always have ones of 20+. I also wanted somewhat effective shooting not really as a big part of the army but something except warmachines in the shooting phase.

oh and I dont like the background of the wood elves so they're out but any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Crube
10-05-2009, 17:42
Just Wood Elves out, or Elves in general...

I would suggest either Dark or High Elves. Both have access to Repeater Bolt Throwers, and teh High Elf archers are pretty useful. Dark Elves have access to Repeater Crossbows in large amounts too.

Alternatively, Empire can have access to Crossbowmen, Archers and Handgunners in addition to Warmachines... same for DWarfs...

Ertle
10-05-2009, 17:50
Just wood elves out I dont like the whole "waaa they left us so we're gonna go hide and play with the trees." thing they have going.

GuyLeCheval
10-05-2009, 18:16
Your choice would be between HE and DE.

Lord Dan
10-05-2009, 18:37
I really think you should do some research and come up with an army. If you then have any specific questions you can come and ask here. Otherwise this will, as it always does, turn into:

"Dark Elves."
"No."
"Empire."
"No."
"Dwarves."
"No."
"High Elves."
"I think I'm going to do them, but I want other ideas anyway."
"Okay, well, Wood Elves."
"No."
"Lizards."
"No."

rtunian
10-05-2009, 21:33
something with smaller units?
ogre kingdoms

The Red Scourge
10-05-2009, 21:58
Just wood elves out I dont like the whole "waaa they left us so we're gonna go hide and play with the trees." thing they have going.

Wood elves real strength is up close and personal. Even their missile units work best on the advance. You encircle and destroy and then massacre the enemy. Its true that you can make a non-confrontational army, but CC is by far the most effective.

garythewargamer
10-05-2009, 22:12
I like the HE and have my own. But may I suggest Bretonnias. My whole knight army is barely over 50 models. Just an idea and I know someone is going to suggest demons. But I like HE. They are fragile, require finesse to general well and are pretty flexiable.

Caiphas Cain
10-05-2009, 22:33
Orges or dwarves. They are usually smallish model count, and have shooty things other than artillery.

Solomon Stern
10-05-2009, 22:39
My arch-nemesis (and subsequently best friend) plays Dwarfs and Brettonians. We both enjoy battling it out, no matter which army he brings. The dwarfs are s-l-o-w, but they are a rock solid force. They have options for shooting and they have the potential to stop enemy magic cold and force a good old fashioned fight with screaming, dying and more dying. He never really fields large units for either army.

Ertle
10-05-2009, 23:47
I did some research and I think I've decided on High elves. Just one question How well do they do competitively?

Nuada
10-05-2009, 23:55
I was thinking something with smaller units seeing as how I play goblins and they always have ones of 20+.

This is the same decision i've recently made. I have lots of orcs and goblins painted up already. I decided to paint up High Elves, because i like the small units of 10 swordmasters. Small elite units, so different to orcs.

They seem competitive as an army. Mine will probably be vulernable to missile fire. Most people put them around 5th or 6th i think on Warseer. That's way better than i'm used to. Not used them yet, but they have some amazing magic defense

kaubin
11-05-2009, 00:36
I personally like the dark elf story better than the high elf story, so that's why I chose them when I first played. I preffer darker storied armies in general though...it's up to you which feels better.

swarmofseals
11-05-2009, 00:40
It's kinda a shame that you are ruling out wood elves as they fit the description of the kind of army you are looking for perfectly.

I definitely don't see their background the way you do. I see it much more as "We like this wild forest much better than your high towers and wheat fields. Go home, we won't be following you."

The Red Scourge
11-05-2009, 04:26
I did some research and I think I've decided on High elves. Just one question How well do they do competitively?

My woodies massacre them every time :evilgrin:

Yet if this is going to be a criteria, then do DoC and get over it :)