PDA

View Full Version : NewElves box - Elves with spears and shields

gunfex
10-05-2009, 19:24
Maybe I'm missing something in the war of the ring book BUT which elves option can take spears and shields - yet there are 8 of these in each box???

General Veers
10-05-2009, 19:43
In "War of the Ring", Hand Weapons include Spears. So simply look for any Hand Weapon + Shield combination.

gunfex
10-05-2009, 20:18
Galadhrim regiment have glaives and can have shields while archers can have hand weapons and longbows but no shields. The guards of the gal court have pikes and even Haldirs elves have hand weapons and longbows but no shields. So who can have hand weapons and shields??? Either I'm missing something or GW are selling models in the box that can't really be used!

SJBenoist
10-05-2009, 20:33
I just double checked, and unless I'm overlooking something it appears gunfex is correct. There is no existing game unit for those mini's :confused:

Either they plan an unrevealed expansion, or this is a strange error (for a company that has pushed "what-you-see ..." for so long).

Erethor
11-05-2009, 00:09
Well, don't forget that the minis for WOTR are also able to be used in the Strategy battle game...

Also, you are more than welcome to use the spear/shield elves as glaive elves with shields. For example:

G= Glaives
S= Spear/Shields
A= Archers

Glaives with shields:

GSGS
SGSG

Haldir's Elves:

AGAG
GAGA

There ya go. There's no need to fret that you'll have useless minis as you can mix and match to suit the unit they represent, and with no confusion. As the rules state, "...it doesn't matter too much how individual models are armed."

Hoster
11-05-2009, 00:25
Doesn't fit too well, but Rivendell Guard are hand weapon with shields.

It's still awkward though as it's a legendary formation and thus a once only proposition.

General Veers
11-05-2009, 01:10
I apologize, I meant glaives + shields too. So the Galadhrim armed with spears and sheilds can be used as Galadhrim Regiment (glaives + shields) and some of the rare/legendary formations too with hand weapon + shields.

Quannum
11-05-2009, 01:15
With this box set also comes a horrendous price rise. Look in the LOTR News and Rumours section for more info.

Q

SJBenoist
11-05-2009, 01:31
Doesn't fit too well, but Rivendell Guard are hand weapon with shields.

It's still awkward though as it's a legendary formation and thus a once only proposition.

That's what I had originally hoped, then I saw the Rivendell Guard were supposed to be High Elves (the kind in the 3 model blister). They armored these guys differently.

A lot of people are saying they work fine as proxies, and that is true.
It is still strange for GW to release units that only work as proxies.

General Veers
11-05-2009, 01:48
They are not proxies. Please read the text for "hand weapons" and "glaives". Please.

SJBenoist
11-05-2009, 02:05
Veers:

I'm sorry, I don't follow.

Please explain.

gunfex
11-05-2009, 08:55
I understand what you mean by "can be used as" so that spear/shield elves can be used as glaive/shields but it just seems silly to me. If they are listed as glaives then i would prefer them to be that rather than remembering they count as... (It's not as though the models are not expensive!!!) Perhaps they should have had an option to arm them with hand weapons or glaives for an extra cost.

Crisis_Core
11-05-2009, 12:56
With this box set also comes a horrendous price rise. Look in the LOTR News and Rumours section for more info.

Q

Go have a look at Maelstrom Games - their preorder price is the same price as the original box sets.

lotrchampion
15-05-2009, 11:11
Guys, you are forgetting that the Galadhrim Elves boxed set also supports the Strategy Battle Game, in which any combination of Spears/Bows/Shields/Elven Blades is viable. The wonderful thing about the box is you can opt to give either the Elven Blade or Spear blokes shield, depending on preference. I will personally be giving my front rank Elven Blade guys shields, as my High Elves are all converted thus, and to my style of play, its better. Going to play around with some lists when they release the SBG rules, and I think thery're going to be my next GT force. =)

Jorgen_CAB
15-05-2009, 12:25
If the shields are free to attach to any model I would simply put them on the Glaive elves and use the spear elves as the back rank of my archers. I would even model a bow on their backs to show that they are also archers as well as support to the front in melee. :)