PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my Guard please

Iverald
10-05-2009, 20:31
I am trying to make a feasible army list for my guard.

I've currently got 1 command (old metal), 100 guardsmen (10 flamers), 8 HvyWep teams (going to have 9), Creed&Kell (I don't really want to include them permanently, as my army is rather goofy-themed) and 14 stormtroopers (10 from the box, 2 blisters of spec weps, going to have another 10-man box).

For the vehicle section I am toying with the idea of three Vendettas and probably 3 Bassies, but this is a rather distant future (still a student :().

I am puzzled as for the coice of spec weps for guardsmen and hvy weps for the teams. I've never done a horde army (playing grey Knights), so every comment from Guard players is very welcome.:)

silence
10-05-2009, 20:37
if you want to use purely the figures you have then you may have a few problems mainly that you need more command squads.

However the easiest way around this would be to use all your guards as veterans, but then you open alot of options that you would not be able to utilise at the moment.

If you get another command squad then you would still have to field one of your units as veterans (to give you the 2 trooop options) and then use 50 men as guardsmen and 40 as a single unit of conscripts.

Do you have access to the codex? If so fell free to PM me and I'll see what else we can come up with :)

Rabid Bunny 666
10-05-2009, 20:38
Its definitely worth having a look at hate Tactica: Imperial Guard (in the 40k tactics subforum). By looking at your list, depending on the heavy weapons, you've got a fairly viable gunline army, depending on what the points are for the infantry, you might want to pick up a few Leman Russes for some more gunpower. I'm strapped for cash at the moment, also a student, but scour eBay. I picked up a Leman Russ for a tenner purely because the bloke who listed it misspelled Leman.

Iverald
10-05-2009, 21:05
Thanks so far :)

I am definiently going to buy the next command squad when it arrives in my town ;)
I have the codex, but as I said, I'm lost among the options. GK's had either no options or I followe the rule of cool :D

I wonder whether to switch flamers to plasguns or meltaguns or glaunchers.
For the hvy teams I am able to make 3 lascannons/hvy bolters (interchangeable), 2 missile launchers, followed by a third. I am waiting for the rest of the parts for the last 3 teams (bought from a friend, like 70% of my stuff).
Russes are fine, but then, which variants?

Oh, I forgot, I would like my list to be an all-comers one.

SharpSilver
10-05-2009, 21:46
Might be best to repost this with your hopeful army lists and ask for help/criticism/advice in the Army list forum. But since you haven't actually posted a list yet. O_o

http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Rabid Bunny 666
11-05-2009, 01:47
Also, remember out of the Heavy weapon squad boxes, you can get a Tripod mounted gun, a Missile Launcher and a Mortar, so that could help you out, Infantry squads with lascannons would give you dedicated Anti Tank, Missile launchers in Infantry squads would help with tanks and hordes, and if you get the 9 mortars into 3 Heavy Weapon squads and hide them at the back of the board, you've got yourself some good anti infantry.

Putting Lascanons in you Company Command squad is a good idea as it would benefit from the BS4.