PDA

View Full Version : pre traitor, post Nikea Thousand Sons Chaplains?

Alessander
10-05-2009, 22:30
Do you think the TS ever had chaplains?

Mannimarco
10-05-2009, 22:55
i dont think its ever been noted that they had any chaplains, although pretty much everybody did so itle likely they did

Maidel
10-05-2009, 23:26
Correct me if im wrong - I thought that the emperor didnt like 'chaplains' as he didnt believe in religeon and thus the world bearers were the ONLY chapter pre-heresy to have chaplains (and they were the cause of the heresy...)

Chaplains are their to maintain the chapters 'moral and religeous wellbeing' something that was a complete anathma to the legions during the crusade.

Whitehorn
10-05-2009, 23:31
So, Xavier and Charmosian are figments of our imagination?

They did exist and there's enough evidence to suggest every legion had them. Skull helms seemed to be present but not always black armour - Charmosian seems to wear his purple plate at Istvaan.

Mannimarco
10-05-2009, 23:31
when the world eaters turned one of their first actions was to eliminate their chaplains, so chaplains did exist very shortly before the legions turned

nikea was beasically just the emperor saying "yeah guys sorcery is wrong, you really shouldnt dabble with it"

dang i got ninjad

Maidel
10-05-2009, 23:43
In which case, I stand corrected.

I remember something about them - maybe it was their role that was different.

Meh - brain getting old. :)

Col. Tartleton
10-05-2009, 23:46
Back then there was more Freud then Father Mulcahy. There wasn't a need for a priest but even space marines need someone they can talk to about things that bother them who will give them advice who isn't their commander.

Whitehorn
10-05-2009, 23:46
From collected visions book 2:

After the Council of Nikaea, the Space Marine Legion had been instructed to abolish their Librarius divisions. The Emperor decreed that henceforth no Legion was to employ psyker in battle, nor were they to continue their studies into the mysteries of psychic talents. Those Legions who had Librarians - psychically empowered Marines - were instructed to reassign them to standard fighting units and to forbid the use of their abilities.
First Lord of Terra, Malcador the Sigillite, leader of the Council of Terra, was not satisfied that all of the Legions would follow the Emperor’s edict. He knew that many of the Primarchs placed great value on their Librarians and the powers they could unleash on the battlefield. For some of the Legions, the deployment of psyker had become central to their strategies and tactics.
Whilst the Emperor worked his secret labours in the Palace Vaults, Malcador the Sigillite issued a new edict through the Council of Terra in the name of the Emperor. This was the Order of Observance, more commonly known as the Chaplain Edict, and its inspiration was the Word Bearers Legion.
The Word Bearers Primarch, Lorgar, had been raised on the cult world of Colchis. In time, Lorgar had become Its martial and spiritual leader. His first meeting with the Emperor was believed to be a fulfilment of an ancient prophecy; an event that reinforced the religious fervour of the people of Colchis, and Lorgar himself. On becoming Primarch, Lorgar had introduced officer-clerics to his Legion. These warrior-priests were named chaplains, and their role was to minister to the needs of the Space Marines and ensure that their faith in the Emperor was strong.
Inspired by this, Malcador ordered the other Space Marine Primarchs to appoint chaplains who would ensure the spiritual wellbeing of their Legion, and enforce the psyker ban. These officers were to be picked from those Space Marines who were steadfast in their duties, and who had demonstrated the strongest loyalty to their Primarch and so to the Emperor.
Most of the Primarchs loyally followed the edict and began to appoint officers to the rank and duties of chaplain. Some did not. Lorgar of the Word Bearers was quietly amused by the irony of the new edict - his Legion had already secretly fallen to Chaos.
Given the vagaries of communication across the vastness of the Galaxy, it would not have seemed unusual or suspicious to Malcador that not all of the Primarchs had voiced their consent to the edict immediately. It was also certain that some of the Primarchs behaved duplicitously, and while they assured him they were doing as the Emperor had ordered, they were not. In time, their dishonesty became clear.

Alessander
11-05-2009, 06:20
yea, I was going for the Chaplain edict - basically a "uphold the emperor's librarian ban" order. Since the Thousand Sons kept their sorcery, logic would say they never had Chaplains to set them straight, right?

That or they just kept the mandatory Chaplains in a back closet, oblivious to the rampant sorcery.

Thanatos_elNyx
11-05-2009, 16:52
Since the Thousand Sons kept their sorcery, logic would say they never had Chaplains to set them straight, right?

Well since the Chaplains would have come from the ranks of the Thousand Sons, I doubt any Chaplains in said Legion would have come down hard against Psykers.
More probably they might have acted like the custodians in the Imperial Guard and knocked off any Psykers who were likely to pop.

That being said, since the Chaplain Edict came after the Council of Nikea; and the Thousand Sons were soon betrayed by Leman Russ they probably didn't have time to enact the Edict (if they would have at all).

Maidel
11-05-2009, 18:53
That being said, since the Chaplain Edict came after the Council of Nikea; and the Thousand Sons were soon betrayed by Leman Russ they probably didn't have time to enact the Edict (if they would have at all).

Hang on there!

How the **** were they betrayed by leman russ - they refused to follow the edicts of the council of nikea and russ was dispatched to deal with them.

That makes TWO flaws in your arguement - 1) he was sent to deal with them, rather than him deciding to do it. 2) they didnt do what the emperor had told them to, thus making them heretics already.

librisrouge
11-05-2009, 19:03
Wow, wow, wow guys. This will end only badly.

Remember, the thousand sons are a tragic story since, if they had just waited a few decades, they probably would have been allowed to field librarians again. Instead the disobeyed and Russ was SENT to deal with them for their disobedience. Now, this was a Tzeentch plot enacted by Horus but it doesn't change the fact that Russ was following honest orders and Magnus did DISOBEY a direct order to stop utilizing sorcery and psychic powers.

Conclusion, Magnus = Fool & Russ = Played.

Maidel
11-05-2009, 19:24
Conclusion, Magnus = Fool & Russ = Played.

That I dont dissagree with. :D

angelusmortis1384
12-05-2009, 00:13
lols seconded.

also im wondering if you ask about chaplains from the point of veiw of using the space marine codex to write a pre-heresy list. if this is so are you using chaplains as a "counts as" unit? if so what as? personally i'd only say a chaplain is really usable as a "counts as unit for either emperors children to represent possible combat drugs usage. or as world eaters captains for their lobotomy circuits for their crazy mentalist battle lust.

Thanatos_elNyx
12-05-2009, 16:23
Hang on there!

How the **** were they betrayed by leman russ - they refused to follow the edicts of the council of nikea and russ was dispatched to deal with them.

That makes TWO flaws in your arguement - 1) he was sent to deal with them, rather than him deciding to do it. 2) they didnt do what the emperor had told them to, thus making them heretics already.

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a fight. :rolleyes:
I am a Thousand Sons player so my view of the event will be somewhat coloured by that fact. ;)

Conclusion, Magnus = Fool & Russ = Played. Add: Emperor = Fool & Played

Fulgrim's Gimp
12-05-2009, 19:17
when the world eaters turned one of their first actions was to eliminate their chaplains, so chaplains did exist very shortly before the legions turned

Wasn't it the librarians who World Eaters killed first on account of their Jedi Mind Tricks not being daddy Khorne's cup of tea flavoured blood? Or were Chaplains now added to that ?

Maidel
12-05-2009, 22:08

Even better. :D

angelusmortis1384
12-05-2009, 22:49

well as a chaos lover this now justifies my years of gloating....

i gots to get me a t-shirt of this :D

Industrial Propaganda
13-05-2009, 07:55
Wasn't it the librarians who World Eaters killed first on account of their Jedi Mind Tricks not being daddy Khorne's cup of tea flavoured blood? Or were Chaplains now added to that ?

Only the Librarians where hunted and killed by their brothers.

The Chaplains loyal to Angron are still alive.
The World Eaters loyal to Terra and the Emperor were killed on Istvaan III.

Alessander
14-05-2009, 02:24
fluff says WE were first to slaughter all their chaps