PDA

View Full Version : Tired Of Skaven Need Something New

Erie Ed
11-05-2009, 02:05
Ok here's the deal, I'm tired of low leadership, decent shooting, decent magic, horrible CC units, painting millions of rats, and just the major weakness that a horde skaven army is...What army is the exact opposite of that?

Duke Georgal
11-05-2009, 02:11
Daemons.

So few models, so powerful, great stats.

Interesting, Daemons and Skaven are the only two armies I don't own.

w3rm
11-05-2009, 02:21
Nah Ogres. Terrible shooting. Magic can be good about 8 models per army and cause fear. Pretty much as far away you can get from ratties!

Erie Ed
11-05-2009, 03:37
Nah Ogres. Terrible shooting. Magic can be good about 8 models per army and cause fear. Pretty much as far away you can get from ratties!

now why in the world would i want to play orges other than the low model count.

Raka
11-05-2009, 03:43
Ogres ARE quite removed from skaven. I take it you want a game-winning army?

Shamfrit
How is base LD8 and LD10 with Warlord and re-rolls to break tests even remotely considered 'low leadership' these days exactly?

Malarowski
now why in the world would i want to play orges other than the low model count.

Because you like guts? Why would you plan Skaven? Seems like you hate every aspect of them.

Erie Ed
11-05-2009, 03:47
Ogres ARE quite removed from skaven. I take it you want a game-winning army?

well one that actually stands a good chance of winning

Because you like guts? Why would you plan Skaven? Seems like you hate every aspect of them.

I do at the time it seemed like I would enjoy them, I was wrong it happens

How is base LD8 and LD10 with Warlord and re-rolls to break tests even remotely considered 'low leadership' these days exactly?

Looking for more than just good leadership, hell if I wanted just LD i would play dwarfs.

ICLRK625
11-05-2009, 03:50
I win consistently with my Ogres, granted I play friendly games mostly. If you're going to route of a power gamer, you really only have a few choices from the way you make it sound.

I'd say Lizardmen are down your alley if you don't want Daemons, Vampire Counts or Dark Elves. They have great magic, great shooting, and great CC, and arguably the best leadership in the game.

Erie Ed
11-05-2009, 03:59
I win consistently with my Ogres, granted I play friendly games mostly. If you're going to route of a power gamer, you really only have a few choices from the way you make it sound.

I'd say Lizardmen are down your alley if you don't want Daemons, Vampire Counts or Dark Elves. They have great magic, great shooting, and great CC, and arguably the best leadership in the game.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie lizzardmen were my second choice before skaven and for some reason i picked skaven O.o I think I'll be given the lizzards a try

Foegnasher
11-05-2009, 04:37
as a long suffering skaven player, who was sick of fleeing of the board at seemingly random intervals, i have signed up with the lizard men.

the hosts of the old ones fit my style, get close quick, crack some skulls, repeat.

they are dead hard, have good ld, (thanks to coll-blooded) and can dish out the pain. i only hope you dont miss going first in CC. because THAT, my friend, is going bye bye.

my favorite model? carnasaur.

favorite unit? terradons.

favorite tactic? tie: 1) steamroller (that's the chief on a stegadon and the warspear dual chargeing a unit with the cold ones, the engine, or the carnasaur.) 2) the "whattya mean i cant stop it?!?": tie expensive unit up with carnasaur/ sarus charge, then blast the unit to flinders with the engine, located very close by, but not in combat. (last game netted me a treeman, warhawk riders, fast cav, and a few dryads in one shot!)

go with the lizzies, they are everything the skaven arn't, and nothing that they are.

Charistoph
11-05-2009, 07:08
Armies most unlike Skaven?

Ogres: Big beasts, small units, minimal shooting.
Bretonnians: Heavy Cavalry backed up by weak infantry, but decent shooting
High/Dark Elves: Elite but sensitive troops.
Wood Elves: Shoot and scoot, what's ranked combat, and why do I need it?
Daemons: What're these Breaking and Psychology rules? I'm too 1337 for them.
Vampires: Undead Ubermensch with weak armies I raised myself.

havoc626
11-05-2009, 09:04
I found a similar thing happened to me, only that I still like Skaven, but I was looking for something new. That something new turned out to be Chaos Dwarfs, and I love the evil stunties.

You could go for WoC. Great CC, Great magic, no/little shooting, few models, good Ld.

dsw1
11-05-2009, 10:58
If only you lived in England, I would have traded my WoC with you for your ratties :cries:.

But yeah, hate low LD? Hate having no combat potential? bored of shooting and magic? Look no further than the Warriors of Chaos! 2+ saves, low model count, Awesome models (Cavalry IN the army also). Choose Khorne and watch your men transform from armoured tanks to GODS of war.

I'll leave it up to you to make the right choice ;)

Erie Ed
11-05-2009, 14:22
as a long suffering skaven player, who was sick of fleeing of the board at seemingly random intervals, i have signed up with the lizard men.

the hosts of the old ones fit my style, get close quick, crack some skulls, repeat.

they are dead hard, have good ld, (thanks to coll-blooded) and can dish out the pain. i only hope you dont miss going first in CC. because THAT, my friend, is going bye bye.

my favorite model? carnasaur.

favorite unit? terradons.

favorite tactic? tie: 1) steamroller (that's the chief on a stegadon and the warspear dual chargeing a unit with the cold ones, the engine, or the carnasaur.) 2) the "whattya mean i cant stop it?!?": tie expensive unit up with carnasaur/ sarus charge, then blast the unit to flinders with the engine, located very close by, but not in combat. (last game netted me a treeman, warhawk riders, fast cav, and a few dryads in one shot!)

go with the lizzies, they are everything the skaven arn't, and nothing that they are.

I think you summed it up pretty well for me, not to mention that the lizzards look like they are tons of fun to play, and in games 2,000pts or more slain is just insane.

Thank you everyone for the replies

GuyLeCheval
11-05-2009, 14:53
I think bretts are a good opposite to Skaven, exactly the reason I choose them.

CommissarSean
11-05-2009, 14:58
-If i was you mate i would go with either Bretonnians; Heavy Cavalry with not bad shooting
-Or Dark Elves with their good shooting, magic, CC and Ld. They are also a very strong Tour winning army atm. :D

fubukii
11-05-2009, 17:02
Id suggest the following armies

DOC - High point cost models god stats, ITP
Vc- higher point cost, no shooting, Unbreakable ITP
WOC - High point cost good stats, reroll panic
DE - less models then skaven, have alot of variety. can shoot be fast, have monsters etc
Empire - Very well rounded can shoot, be combaty, have stanks and cannons can really be anything
dwarves - slow and no magic :) the exact opposite of rats :P
HE - Elite, ASF
Brets - all cav

Tetris Hermit
11-05-2009, 17:45
I was thinking of rerolling skaven from lizardmen because they seem to be the opposite playstyle. Lizardmen are low number, low shooting, amazing leadership etc. Plus the new book came out so its a good time to switch.

stripsteak
11-05-2009, 18:11
i picked up some high elves after playing skaven. I think they compliment each other well. you still have good a M of 5 at least. You can go pretty elite with the army so you'll have few units to paint. and they cover a lot of areas the skaven lack; chariots, cavalry(regular and fast), magic choice, flyers.