PDA

View Full Version : GW terrain was plastic wrecked vehicle kits

pariah.stevo.52
11-05-2009, 03:32
I was talking to my friendly local gameshop guy. He says that GW will be release plastic wrecked vehicle kits, the first of which will be a rhino and can be seen on the back cover of the new IG dex.

The Dude
11-05-2009, 03:38
These could possibly be the new Craters rumoured for release with Planetstrike. It was suggested that they would include more detail than the current ones, including wrecked vehicle bits, corpses and other bits.

mweaver
11-05-2009, 03:40
They've done a foam wreck before - a chimera, wasn't it? Could be interesting. But they will need to be cheaper than the unwrecked versions, otherwise, well you know...

decker_cky
11-05-2009, 03:40
I just assumed that was a conversion, but if it's true, that could be one of the two planetstrike kits that was unseen so far.

B Cullen
11-05-2009, 04:50
That could well be, if you look closely at that rhino, it seems to be connected to the crater that Creed is standing in. and the broken treads seem to be a single piece, not several glued together like the tank kit has. It so, this combined with the bastion kits could well make this the single best addition to 40k yet.......

Alessander
11-05-2009, 04:57
The older "wrecked" chimera was a bunker of sorts, from around the Eye of Terror campaign, right?

Hashshashin
11-05-2009, 05:01
Would be nice if these were the planetstrike "craters" because I always like putting a crater down when avehicle gets exploded and what better crater than one with the parts of vehicle on it.

Looking at the IG back cover it does seem to be molded...

Rabid Monkey
11-05-2009, 05:12
I tried to point out in another thread that there was a picture in the Guard codex of what I assumed to be a new crater with Creed standing in it.

I dont think there's anything wrong with the current craters GW is producing but I would gues they want to get away from the vacu-formed stuff.

TheDarkDuke
11-05-2009, 05:39
Hmm I thought the craters on the inside of the front page of the new IG codex would most likely be the new craters. They look a little different then the back cover, but could come with several different "rubble" bits.

Lovejoy
11-05-2009, 09:12
The IG back cover Rhino looks just like a Rhino kit to me - it's got the top hatch open, and would be impossible to cast like that. Unless the wrecked vehicles are multi-part kits; but it seems unlikely GW would spend a fortune on plastic tooling which could be used for new troops instead.

Mchagen
11-05-2009, 09:27
Anyone have a pic of the IG back cover 'rhino crater?' I'm wondering how useful it would be in game for this..

Would be nice if these were the planetstrike "craters" because I always like putting a crater down when avehicle gets exploded and what better crater than one with the parts of vehicle on it.

Clang
11-05-2009, 09:49
Hmm, I don't hate the idea of a "crater with wrecked Rhino" and looking at the IG codex I can see that yes _maybe_ that's what it is (if not a one-off conversion) - but as Lovejoy says, it seems too detailed for a one-piece, unless it's effectively going to be a mini-kit which is assembled into a "crater with wrecked Rhino"? But that seems awfully specific for a terrain piece, and surely won't be cheap if it requires a whole sprue.

Oliver Twist
11-05-2009, 12:47
@ Lovejoy, look again at that Rhino. See how the rearward exhaust is exposed, like the armor plate is removed and you can see the pipework, etc? I think thats either the new kit or the new crater.

EmMeTt
11-05-2009, 12:57
Does anyone have pictures of the Rhino for those of us unfortunate enough not to have the codex?

Korras
11-05-2009, 13:30
Hmm I thought the craters on the inside of the front page of the new IG codex would most likely be the new craters. They look a little different then the back cover, but could come with several different "rubble" bits.

those on the inside in the front are the forgeworld road pieces, I believe. here, on the bottom (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_WARHAMMER_40K_TERRAIN_7.html), are they listed.

static grass
11-05-2009, 18:01
@ Lovejoy, look again at that Rhino. See how the rearward exhaust is exposed, like the armor plate is removed and you can see the pipework, etc? I think thats either the new kit or the new crater.

I never noticed that before. So given the thread has not been closed it either is a new Rhino kit or a new crater kit.

Rhinos are pretty cheap already there is no reason to think that you need a full Rhino chassis to make this themed terrain. I think it is a new crater kit.

B Cullen
11-05-2009, 20:20
Does anyone have pictures of the Rhino for those of us unfortunate enough not to have the codex?

Unfortunately, no, I don't have a scanner atm, and the pic doesn't seem to be on the GW site, can anyone provide a scan so others can voice their opinions? I still maintain that it is a crater set, at the most it would require three separate pieces aside from the main mass to make this kit, not a big deal considering the terrain pieces from CoD. We have to keep in mind that these new wrecks/craters are most likely going to be more conventional kits like the CoD buildings instead of the vacuum formed craters that we have now, which are still great btw.....

blameless
11-05-2009, 23:53
I would love to see that pic!

My current plan is to finish my 1500pt tourney army then make the same models but all dead/dying/wreaked... as the battle wears on the carnage would be visable... would make for a cool looking battle!

RichBlake
11-05-2009, 23:59
I dont think there's anything wrong with the current craters GW is producing but I would gues they want to get away from the vacu-formed stuff.

They don't currently make craters as such, they make "Moonscape" terrain which is craters caused by rock impacts thousands of years ago rather then a shell 5 minutes ago.

They look OK, but there is a difference between them (firstly the craters look more like recently torn up ground rather then something that was torn but has been worn down).

Putty
12-05-2009, 05:51
are they going to be cheaper than buying the actual vehicle?

lol

Jedi152
12-05-2009, 08:04
They've done a foam wreck before - a chimera, wasn't it? Could be interesting. But they will need to be cheaper than the unwrecked versions, otherwise, well you know...

The older "wrecked" chimera was a bunker of sorts, from around the Eye of Terror campaign, right?

I think you're both thinking of the Forgeworld Wrecked Chimera (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/achimera.htm).

AFAIK mainstream GW has never made any wrecked vehicles.

Scryer in the Darkness
12-05-2009, 08:31
I think you're both thinking of the Forgeworld Wrecked Chimera (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/achimera.htm).

AFAIK mainstream GW has never made any wrecked vehicles.
No, I seem to remember a wrecked tank terrain piece done under the Citadel Scenery moniker. Around the same time, and part of the same range as, the Orc Camp. Just prior to the pre-painted 40K Walls Obstacles and Barricades set, and Fantasy Walls, all now long OOP.

In fact, if anyone can direct me to pics of this range, that'd be great.
EDIT - Found the 40K Obstacles & Barricades and Fantasy Walls & Hedges anyway, here - http://www.nugaming.com/html/gw_terrain.html
EDIT - Orc Village and other fantasy pieces here, beware nostalgia lies within - http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Scenery

BigRob
12-05-2009, 08:51
I remember that one, a wrecked chimera with sandbagged bits on a large base. It's very similar to the forgeworld one but done in foam. I thought it was store only though, like the foam bunker that they used to have (which would have been awesome if they had released it).

There was a foam/plastic imperial guard trench thing as well, just a couple of weapon pits and a small trench but it wasn't out for long. A shame really as that line of scenery (stuff like the graveyard, inquisitor hab block etc) was really good and after all the effort producing it it was discontinued within a couple of years.

Scryer in the Darkness
12-05-2009, 08:57
I remember that one, a wrecked chimera with sandbagged bits on a large base. It's very similar to the forgeworld one but done in foam. I thought it was store only though, like the foam bunker that they used to have (which would have been awesome if they had released it).

There was a foam/plastic imperial guard trench thing as well, just a couple of weapon pits and a small trench but it wasn't out for long. A shame really as that line of scenery (stuff like the graveyard, inquisitor hab block etc) was really good and after all the effort producing it it was discontinued within a couple of years.

Yep, both those indeed existed. To continue my little edit run from above, both are listed in the link below, although sadly, not pictured:

http://www.e-creditselect.net/citadel-warhammer-40k/citadel-warhammer-40k-366454.html

Pvt. Newbie
12-05-2009, 09:06
Ok here's a scan, I don't know if it will work, this is my first time posting pics. So please bear with me. Its not a great scan but I hope it helps. :)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii166/gorkschosen/IGDexBackCover.jpg

Jedi152
12-05-2009, 09:07
Really? We live and learn.

Scryer in the Darkness
12-05-2009, 09:13
Really? We live and learn.
Yeah it was a pretty nifty piece too. As I recall the sandbags were built up into a firing bunker outside on the side of the Chimera and the whole piece had a real established lived-in feel. I remember both it and the Orc Village sitting on the pegs of my LGS for years. I think they were just a little too pricey to sell well. Quite a few of the 40K and Fantasy walls sets sold though.

EDIT - Found the Sandbag Emplacement:
http://www.unispel.com/catalog/sandbag-emplacement-p-1109.html
http://www.spillsjefen.no/product_info.php?products_id=36265

BaloOrk
12-05-2009, 09:28
I would like some wrecks, but for me, they would have to be twice as cheap as a regular vehicle, or come with some really nice "bling*" (*read: fancy bits)
like a bunch of dead marines... :evilgrin:

Scryer in the Darkness
12-05-2009, 09:35
Found the Citadel Scenery Wrecked Chimera, HUZZAH! :D (Which admittedly might actually be called Chimera Bunker.) In Deadleyheadley's project log... should've just searched WarSeer in the first place shouldn't I? :o A couple of different angles, nice:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1018212&postcount=1799

*right click - save* Now I can go eat. ;)

Lovejoy
12-05-2009, 09:47

Yeah, could be, or it could just be a conversion - cut a section of exhaust away with a knife, stuck on a bit of plastic tube. Shouldn't be too hard.

If it is a kit, it'll be interesting to see if we get any other vehicles; a wrecked Devilfish and a Falcon would be top of my list! :evilgrin:

TheFloatingHead
12-05-2009, 13:04
A wrecked Rhino? I thought everything Space Marine was supposed to be totally invincible 100% of the time! JK:cool: It would be cool if they made a wrecked Leman Russ. But then again, it's not hard to buy tanks off 3-bay for a third of the price new and convert them yourself. Still GW has been making some excellent terrain pieces over the past few years so who knows what will happen...

Haha "3-bay!" You guys know what I mean, E-Bay. 3-Bay, where everything is auctioned in sets of three, and everything is payed for in multiples of three!

BigRob
12-05-2009, 14:46
Yeah it was a pretty nifty piece too. As I recall the sandbags were built up into a firing bunker outside on the side of the Chimera and the whole piece had a real established lived-in feel. I remember both it and the Orc Village sitting on the pegs of my LGS for years. I think they were just a little too pricey to sell well. Quite a few of the 40K and Fantasy walls sets sold though.

EDIT - Found the Sandbag Emplacement:
http://www.unispel.com/catalog/sandbag-emplacement-p-1109.html
http://www.spillsjefen.no/product_info.php?products_id=36265

Thats not the one I was on about, it was more of a round piece with a couple of trenches and weapon pits in. I only saw it on sale for a matter of months. Sadly I dont have my whitedwarf collection anymore to get a picture. Those ones are still awesome though.

Captain Ventris
12-05-2009, 15:01
yeah I believe this to be a conversion, you can clearly see where the rhino pieces fit together, also the treads are the pieces that com in the rhino box, they are bent (likely with a hairdryer or something) this would not be a new kit by GW. Would be completely silly of them to make a brand new kit for scenery that is simply a rhino wreck, and then sell it for $25+ when they know we can just buy a rhino and cut it to pieces.

I could be wrong...but I probably am not

Scryer in the Darkness
12-05-2009, 15:02
Thats not the one I was on about, it was more of a round piece with a couple of trenches and weapon pits in. I only saw it on sale for a matter of months. Sadly I dont have my whitedwarf collection anymore to get a picture. Those ones are still awesome though.
Interesting. I don't know it. The CcmWiki is sadly devoid of OOP 40K scenery. There's the Fantasy ones, but no 40K... that I could find anyway. :(

wolfkin
12-05-2009, 15:43
That is the old chimera done by forge world I have that pice and its the same.

Scryer in the Darkness
12-05-2009, 15:47
What is? What "that" are you referring to?

Dictator
12-05-2009, 16:50

I concur with scryer.

The Rhino scenery looks new. I have the codex and instantly thought how cool that battlefield looked with all the craters on it. It will be nice to see these rumors be true!

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
12-05-2009, 21:10
What is? What "that" are you referring to?

Think he is referring to this http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/achimera.htm

That Chimera looks completely different.

Bregalad
12-05-2009, 21:45
Can't remember this one being for sale. Can't find it in the store.

t-tauri
12-05-2009, 22:26
Yep, both those indeed existed. To continue my little edit run from above, both are listed in the link below, although sadly, not pictured:

http://www.e-creditselect.net/citadel-warhammer-40k/citadel-warhammer-40k-366454.html

These are the items listed there. I believe they were manufactured by Ziterdes in Germany for GW and had very small production runs. They sold out very quickly in the UK. They are different to the FW wrecked chimera.

The rhino shown on the IG codex isn't one of the ziterdes pieces I've seen.

mweaver
12-05-2009, 22:26
I have the fortified wreck that Scryer links to. It is foam - the same material that the ruined keep, dwarf stronghold, etc. were made of (it may have come out about the same time - not sure about that). The Forgeworld piece looks like something completely different.

I picked it up last fall at a store in San Antonio that was selling off most of its older GW stock.

mweaver
12-05-2009, 22:33
OK, found mine. It is the piece on the left in t-tauri's post. It is still in the bag. It is called "Chimera Bunker" and has the code J 64-18 on it. Interestingly, the price tag on it ($20) has the date stamp 3/16/08, which is presumably when the store received and priced it; I am pretty sure the piece had been around for awhile before that.

The component code = 99 43 99 99 072. The copyright on the packaging says 2000.

The Dude
13-05-2009, 00:47
I'm guessing, based on the picture, that the wrecked Rhino is a conversion using the new Craters to come with Planetstrike. I suppose we'll see though.

dvhill
13-05-2009, 03:21
Right again, The Dude.

The Rhino can not be vac formed, nor done in plastic easily. The crater, on the other hand, looks like it was modeled to be pavement that got a-splode, very different than the open ground craters they sell now.

Scryer in the Darkness
13-05-2009, 06:31
Thanks t-tauri for the extra pics of the OOP Citadel Scenery and mweaver for that comprehensive information on the Chimera Bunker - excellent work.

Uncle Mel
13-05-2009, 07:19
I agree with dvhill, the rhino looks like a standard rhino with conversion work, whereas the crater looks like it might be rumoured new craters.

BigRob
13-05-2009, 08:10
Is there a comprehensive list of all the terrain pieces released under the citadel scenery brand? I was always under the impression the Chimera bunker was stores only. Maybe this was in the UK or maybe my store only ever had 1 delievered and swiped it for their table.

mweaver
13-05-2009, 16:34
I don't know of any such list, but it would be nice to have one. What I know of:

The Chimera Bunker
The fortified position (anyone know the offical name?) t-tauri posted on the previous page

Fantasy:
A runied keep
A dwarven strongpoint
An or village
A cemetary

The above are all foam pieces. Well, I have never seen the 40K fortified position, but it certainly looks foam, like the others.

Scryer in the Darkness
13-05-2009, 17:46
It might've been covered before on some other thread. I'm a little surprised the 40K stuff isn't on the CcmWiki. I guess it depends on how comprehensive you want to be. There's tons of stuff that has been released under the Citadel Scenery banner.

For the high-density foam pieces that we've been discussing, I know of the following:

Fantasy
Orc Village
Dwarf Mountain Fortress
Undead Graveyard
Ruined Chaos Tower

Chimera Bunker
Sandbag Emplacement
Some kind of gothic ruins (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1018212&postcount=1799) (no, not the plastic set or the Chapel of Sanctuary)

Inquisitor
STC Colonial Habitat

EDIT - @BigRob - I personally saw the Orc Village, Ruined Chaos Tower, Chimera Bunker and
Sandbag Emplacement in my LGS here in Australia when they were first released.

jstalker
13-05-2009, 17:50
I remember the gothic ruins,
I miss alot of the old oop forgeworld terrain too!

mweaver
13-05-2009, 20:29
I picked up the four fantasy pieces at my local gaming store (U.S.).

I'd forgotten about the colonial habitat. I never saw the gothic ruins. I wouldn't complain if they wanted to do more of that sort of thing... Although the new plastic terrain tends to be quite nice too.

Bregalad
13-05-2009, 21:44
Anyone has pics of those pieces (and possible stores)? I browse ebay on terrain for several years and have never seen them. Esp. the Ork village, Dwarf fortress and sand emplacement would be interesting. BTW I own the Inquisitor scale building. Works fine for 40k.

dancingmonkey
13-05-2009, 21:59
The gothic ruins were released with the original city fight as a modular building to make various ruins with. It was used heavily in the book to create the foundations of buildings.

mweaver
13-05-2009, 22:43
Bregalad, it is worth checking eBay from time to time. A fellow recently auctioned off the Dwarf strong point and the ruined keep. I forget exactly what they went for, but it wasn't horrible. I think in the $25-$35 range, and they originally cost $20-25, if I remember correctly.

Havarel
13-05-2009, 23:06
A bit off-topic, but following some of the other speculation. Has this ever been a GW piece of terrain? Its not made of plastic or resin, think its polystyrene. Not fussed if it isn't as its a fantastic piece of terrain I picked up off Ebay; just curious as to whether it was originally a GW piece.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/Lachton/P5130114.jpg

Iverald
13-05-2009, 23:15
Methinks that only the skull is GW (or rather Forgeworld)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_WARHAMMER_40_000_SYMBOLS_10.ht ml

Of course I could be wrong.;)

Alessander
14-05-2009, 00:00
havarel: same set as the chimera, its that expanded lightweight foam stuff. it's GW.

TheFloatingHead
14-05-2009, 00:16
A bit off-topic, but following some of the other speculation. Has this ever been a GW piece of terrain? Its not made of plastic or resin, think its polystyrene. Not fussed if it isn't as its a fantastic piece of terrain I picked up off Ebay; just curious as to whether it was originally a GW piece.

Yeah it's GW, I remember seeing one in the store years ago for sale and it was in a GW bag. And also saw it in a White Dwarf years ago when it also came out.
That wrecked Chimera is really nice. If I can't find one off E-Bay anytime soon I've got a perfectly crappy looking Chimera that would work well for a home made version, along with a pile of Cadian and Krieg bits...

Havarel
14-05-2009, 00:23
havarel: same set as the chimera, its that expanded lightweight foam stuff. it's GW.

Yeah it's GW, I remember seeing one in the store years ago for sale and it was in a GW bag. And also saw it in a White Dwarf years ago when it also came out.

Cheers, thought it was! Just thought I'd ask while the thread was on this subject.

cool0001
14-05-2009, 01:12
Page 2 (the contents page) of UK WD 353 May 2009 has the wrecked rhino in the picture at the top of the page, behind the banner. THE RHINO IS NOT IN A CRATER...

The Dude
14-05-2009, 01:42
Page 2 (the contents page) of UK WD 353 May 2009 has the wrecked rhino in the picture at the top of the page, behind the banner. THE RHINO IS NOT IN A CRATER...

Well that solves that little riddle... or does it? :eyebrows:

mweaver
14-05-2009, 04:34
Havarel, that is the ruined keep I mentioned in my list, earlier on this page. It, the dwarven stronghold, the orc village, and the cemetery all came out within a few months of each other.

Hellebore
14-05-2009, 04:42
There was also an Inqusitor scale piece of terrain in the same foam and an imperial guard bunker.

The bunker at least is in the 3rd tyranid codex on pages 30 and 31 where nids have overrun it and are destroying some catachans. They converted it slightly to have tyranid vegetation breaking up through the floor.

Hellebore

Scryer in the Darkness
14-05-2009, 06:57

That is the Ruined Chaos Tower I listed before (and below).

There was also an Inqusitor scale piece of terrain in the same foam and an imperial guard bunker.
They'd be the STC Colonial Habitat and Sandbag Emplacement already mentioned?

My list of high-density foam pieces from before, now with links and pics for each:

Fantasy
Orc Village (aka Orc Camp) (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:OrcVillage.jpg)
Dwarf Stronghold (aka Dwarf Mountain Fortress) (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:DwarfFortress.jpg)
Undead Graveyard (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:UndeadGraveyard.jpg)
Ruined Keep (aka Ruined Chaos Tower) (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:ChaosTower.jpg)

Chimera Bunker (aka Wrecked Chimera) (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3568036&postcount=40)
Sandbag Emplacement (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3568036&postcount=40)
Some kind of gothic ruins (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1018212&postcount=1799) (no, not the plastic set or the Chapel of Sanctuary)

Inquisitor
STC Colonial Habitat (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Inquisitor_54mm_STC_Colonial_Habitat.jpg)

Hellebore
14-05-2009, 07:39
Still missing the guard bunker. It isn't a sandbag emplacement. If you've got codex tyranids 3rd ed you'll see it on pages 30&31.

Hellebore

Scryer in the Darkness
14-05-2009, 07:56
Still missing the guard bunker. It isn't a sandbag emplacement. If you've got codex tyranids 3rd ed you'll see it on pages 30&31.

Hellebore
Ah yes, I remember that one. Never saw it in the flesh and my mind's eye had it being the STC Habitat with a roof on... but I think that was a different photo in White Dwarf.

Do you know if the bunker was released as a product or was just in WD?

Hellebore
14-05-2009, 07:59
Pretty sure it was a product. I vaguely remember it hanging on the hook for sale alongside the others. The local shop definitely had one on the table though.

I've also got a GW vacformed 4'x4' moulded table with a giant aquila in the middle somewhere. I think they were store promotionals though.

Hellebore

Scryer in the Darkness
14-05-2009, 08:03
Interesting. It would be good to have a complete list! :D

Bregalad
14-05-2009, 10:06
Found this unreleased Tavern on the website you linked to.
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Townhouse.jpg
Every GW store has several (plus the unreleased CoD tiles), but once again they said: "Naw, too good for the public, lets keep it to ourselves, rub it under their noses, watch their envy and release a second Chaos temple instead!"

Edit: Curse you GW. Here some more unreleased terrain from this page http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Scenery_%26_Terrain_-_Unreleased :
Tau: http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Resin_Tau_Bunker_1.jpg
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Resin_Tau_Defensive_Complex.jpg
Eldar http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Resin_Eldar_Wraithgate.jpg
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Eldar_Falcon_Scenic_Base.jpg
Imperium http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Unreleased_-_Scenery_Bunker_3.jpg (similar to Evil Mushrooms release)
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Bunker_2.jpg (similar to Ziterdes release)
BFG http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Battlefleet_Gothic_Terrain_1.jpg
and the highly sought after CoD sprue http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Cityfight_Prototype_Sprue.jpg (anyone sells those?)

Scryer in the Darkness
14-05-2009, 12:56
Found this unreleased Tavern on the website you linked to.
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Townhouse.jpg
Yep, I didn't include it on the list as it is unreleased.

Edit: Curse you GW. Here some more unreleased terrain from this page http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Scenery_%26_Terrain_-_Unreleased :
Ah, well done. I managed to miss that page... mainly because I wasn't looking for unreleased scenery.

@Hellebore - That site lists your Guard Bunker as unreleased:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Bunker.jpg

mweaver
14-05-2009, 13:37
Just to quibble:

The ruined keep/orc village/cemetery/dwarf stronghold were all released fairly close to each other - a few months apart - and coincided with the release of a wave of new models (including an army box) for the relevant race. So the dwarf stronghold was released when new dwarves were coming out, the cemetery when new undead were coming out, etc. The ruined keep's release coincided with new Empire releases, not Chaos. I think it was just listed as "ruined keep"; it certainly was not advertised at the time as a ruined Chaos keep.

If everything the Empire has with a skull on it is going to be classified as Chaos, the Empire is in deep poo!

Scryer in the Darkness
14-05-2009, 13:52
Just to quibble:

The ruined keep/orc village/cemetery/dwarf stronghold were all released fairly close to each other - a few months apart - and coincided with the release of a wave of new models (including an army box) for the relevant race. So the dwarf stronghold was released when new dwarves were coming out, the cemetery when new undead were coming out, etc. The ruined keep's release coincided with new Empire releases, not Chaos. I think it was just listed as "ruined keep"; it certainly was not advertised at the time as a ruined Chaos keep.

If everything the Empire has with a skull on it is going to be classified as Chaos, the Empire is in deep poo!
Yep, true. I just transferred over the names that the CcmWiki had, as those folk are usually pretty good with what things are supposed to be... and I wouldn't like to to depend on my memory for the specific names for these particular pieces. I vaguely recall the Dwarf piece being called Dwarf Stronghold at the time, and even more vaguely recall the ruined tower piece being called Ruined Keep. :)

I'll go back and edit the names for reference's sake. I'll also probably upload some pics at some stage for posterity. ;)

BigBadBull
14-05-2009, 14:31
If the release schedule is correct at Bols (I'm working on confirming it right now) there are no Wrecked Vehicles listed for the July Planetstrike releases.

There is a "BLASTSCAPE" which is 5 craters listed though.

Scryer in the Darkness
14-05-2009, 14:59
If the release schedule is correct at Bols (I'm working on confirming it right now) there are no Wrecked Vehicles listed for the July Planetstrike releases.

There is a "BLASTSCAPE" which is 5 craters listed though.
Yeah it's interesting - bringing us back to the actual topic:) - that The Dude mentioned in the Planetstrike thread that there is a (removable) wrecked Rhino included with the new craters set.

Blastscape craters are "immensely cool". Plastic. Very varied with all sorts of nice details and even a ruined rhino that you can detach if you want.

firestorm40k
14-05-2009, 16:07
With regards to the topic, I would have said the piece in question is a conversion, but Scryer's quoting of The Dude suggests it actually is a kit.

Which, to me, begs the question:

Shouldn't it have been a Chimera or Leman Russ?

Think about it, in terms of background, these are far, far, far more numerous than Rhinos, and used in far, far, far, far more battlezones.

To me, it'd just make sense to do wrecks of these - but then again, it's Marines, and we all know about GW's 'Marines = SALEZ!!!1!1!one' attitude of late... :rolleyes:

Curse you GW. Here some more unreleased terrain from this page http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Scenery_%26_Terrain_-_Unreleased :
Tau: http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Resin_Tau_Bunker_1.jpg
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Resin_Tau_Defensive_Complex.jpg
Eldar http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Resin_Eldar_Wraithgate.jpg
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Eldar_Falcon_Scenic_Base.jpg
Imperium http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Unreleased_-_Scenery_Bunker_3.jpg (similar to Evil Mushrooms release)
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Bunker_2.jpg (similar to Ziterdes release)
BFG http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Battlefleet_Gothic_Terrain_1.jpg
and the highly sought after CoD sprue http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Cityfight_Prototype_Sprue.jpg (anyone sells those?)

Thanks for those Bregalad; actually, I don't know if I should thank you, as seeing some of these amazing pieces has made me quite sad. Although I no longer have Tau or Eldar armies, I think it is unspeakably sad that their terrain pieces never got released, and I think that all Tau & Eldar players should storm GW HQ and take Tom Kirby hostage until they're released :evilgrin: ;) :p

And those unreleased CoD sprues... why, oh why, oh why, couldn't GW have released them alongside the three they did? There's no reason why they wouldn't have sold, probably in greater numbers than the other three as they're more generic.

Sometimes, the decisions GW make just make you want to slap your head in disbelief...

Meriwether
14-05-2009, 16:51
OK, found mine. It is the piece on the left in t-tauri's post. It is still in the bag. It is called "Chimera Bunker" and has the code J 64-18 on it. Interestingly, the price tag on it ($20) has the date stamp 3/16/08, which is presumably when the store received and priced it; I am pretty sure the piece had been around for awhile before that.

The component code = 99 43 99 99 072. The copyright on the packaging says 2000.

I have that piece. I bought it when I was living in California -- so either in 2000, 2001, or 2002. I don't remember what I paid for it, but $20 sounds about right.

My LGS has that piece, too. We've always called it 'weathertop'. None of us have any idea where it came from. Ours looks exactly the same, so the skull is not the FW skull glued on -- it is an integral part of the model.

Meri

t-tauri
14-05-2009, 18:16

Hellebore

In the UK at least this was sent out to GW stores for display purposes and wasn't on sale generally. I believe it was a trial run of the ziterdes stuff before they did the army specific stuff and the sandbag bunkers. It was a shame they stopped producing the foam pieces as they were rather nice.

There are also several resin pieces produced for display purposes in stores, some of which are excellent.

This isn't news or rumours anymore, moving to 40k general.

Nazerth
14-05-2009, 22:16
Those foam pieces were really cool, I remember seeing them in store way back. I think I still have some WDs from when they came out. I wish they would do these again. You got a nice, large, characterful, fairly well detailed piece of terrain for much less than the resin barricades/FW stuff and plastic buildings now

JCOLL
14-05-2009, 22:29
It's been said, but why oh why wouldn't GW release the un-released COD sprue? How do people even get it if it wasn't ever released? I would love to add about 20 of those sprues to the piles I have of released COD stuff. I was recently rumaging through old COD release White Dwarfs and noticed that a lot of the big buildings were made with with COD sprues but couldn't lock down the pieces used. It was modular but didn't match up to any I had. Now this explains it. Too bad, maybe it will get released soon-ish in light of Planet Strike and COD terrain all going together nicely? We can hope...

Bregalad
14-05-2009, 23:00
Come on, isn't there anyone at GW who can secretly pour some foam into the existing moulds and sell those highly sought after models? We won't tell anyone that you acted like a true professional, met customer demand, made big profit with minimum effort and increased GW's reputation, promised! ;)

Sometimes GW works really hard to kick the customer in the nuts and artificially drive the sales down :rolleyes:

PsyberWolf
15-05-2009, 14:22
That image of the unreleased CoD sprue explains alot! There are a ton of pictures in the CoD rulebook, codecies and the BRB that have terrain built using that sprue. I was always puzzled by how they were making it since they didn't appear totally scratch-built built but looked different than the released CoD stuff.

That would be awesome if they did release it since it is more generic.

Bregalad
15-05-2009, 21:07
Meeting with the GW terrain specialists:
"How do you like the test CoD sprue?"
"We love it and used it for half the buildings in the Apocalypse book!"
"Okay. Release cancelled."
"And we worked several weeks to make the moulds for all this Xeno terrain that every gamer will love. Think of the gained diversity on the gaming table!"
"Naw. Get back to work and design another 5 craters and another Chaos temple. And make the skull bigger this time!"
:rolleyes:

OLIVERASO
15-05-2009, 21:10
"And we worked several weeks to make the moulds for all this Xeno terrain that every gamer will love. Think of the gained diversity on the gaming table!"
"Naw. Get back to work and design another 5 craters and another Chaos temple. And make the skull bigger this time!"

:D

and the highly sought after CoD sprue http://www.collecting-citadel-miniat...type_Sprue.jpg (anyone sells those?)

:cool:
I will have mine set of three sprues this summer :=) .
But there is an mistake on the CCM wiki, I not know if you have noticed but there is only three different sprues, the one on the left is identical.

Bregalad
15-05-2009, 21:18
I will have mine set of three sprues this summer :=) .
But there is an mistake on the CCM wiki, I not know if you have noticed but there is only three different sprues, the one on the left is identical.
I envy you.:cries: (any chance to get three more?? :()
But there is no mistake, as it is always referenced as THE test sprue, with 4 quarters connected. Makes sense as you need lots of walls and less doors. Remember that sprues are cut or bend to fit into the box.

Da_Killa
16-05-2009, 12:26
its a conversion, i think

PsyberWolf
16-05-2009, 13:02

Bregalad,

Too funny!

It obviously got kicked to the curb because it didn't have any skulls. It's corporate policy - "No skulls - no release!"