PDA

View Full Version : What is your impulse buy limit?

stonehorse
11-05-2009, 12:26
On the rather large thread that is the June price Increases Jedi152 made a very good point:

I remember reading somewhere that 20 is the average 'impulse buy' cut off point. Over that and you're pricing yourself out of that market, which makes up a hell of a lot of GW sales.

I was wondering what people see as their limit, for my self it is 10.

Bloodknight
11-05-2009, 12:28
20 Euro. That is one note, and I hate rummaging for change in addition to that.

Poseidal
11-05-2009, 12:35
Way too large.

It was around 10 a while back, but now it's more like 30 or 35 (I like vehicles) so now I only go to the store if I'm intending to buy something (though sometimes when I do that, I end up buying nothing even when I planned getting it like a week in advance).

At least I didn't impulse buy an entire Dark Eldar army (when planning on not buying anything) like one of my friends did once...

Ultimate Life Form
11-05-2009, 12:36
20 Euro. That is one note, and I hate rummaging for change in addition to that.

Hm, yeah. 20 is a little steep for an impulse buy I think, but then again I may not have as much money as you. Still, if I really want it, Id take it, though 15 would give me a much better feeling.

Foolish Mortal
11-05-2009, 12:47
For me, the price of a BL novel is about my limit now.

Model/figure wise GW long ago passed the limit for what I would spend on impulse. It's partly because of this I hardly ever go to my local GW store anymore.

Radium
11-05-2009, 12:52
Is there a limit on impulse buys? Whatever the price of the fancy thing I thought I'd need is.

GraveGuard
11-05-2009, 12:53
10. Anything more and I would usually want to research it and see if I could get it cheaper online or any other store. This doesn't just apply to GW products.

Chaos and Evil
11-05-2009, 12:54
I never buy miniatures on impulse anymore.

Bloodknight
11-05-2009, 13:00
Hm, yeah. 20€ is a little steep for an impulse buy I think, but then again I may not have as much money as you.

Probably not, that is roughly 10-15% of my disposable money, depending on how much I want to eat and if I need to refuel my car in that month ;). I am still a student. Thing is that I rarely stumble into a shop so impulse buying is a rare occasional thing for me. I normally order stuff over the web, I cannot bring myself to buy anything apart from paints in Germany. The last thing I bought on impulse was a box of Bloodletters when they were new. Other than that, maybe an occasional blister from the 50% bin or a few paints.

Templar Ben
11-05-2009, 13:20
$15 so what is that 10 pounds or so.

Havarel
11-05-2009, 13:24
At least I didn't impulse buy an entire Dark Eldar army (when planning on not buying anything) like one of my friends did once...

Thats how I ended up with mine! Saw 61 assembled but unpainted warriors on Ebay, on impulse managed to get the lot for 26! A handful more models and I had my army! It was too tempting, I just couldn't resist that many for such a small price..

Anyway, my impulse buy limit is about 20, ie I'll happily pick up a box of tac marines or CSM every so often, but I really think about anything more expensive (ie predators).

Pokpoko
11-05-2009, 13:35
i don't have one,not in relation to miniatures-when i go to the shop, i go to buy a particular something.It's not that i only buy "necesarry" models,i have plenty of minis i bought because they look cool,but it's still planned to a degree. Books is where i impulse-buy most often, and then the limit is average paperback price.if it's more i'm more likely to put it back,and either buy later(when i really need it) or not buy at all.to be honest,impulse buying is how i got most of my sf/fantasy books(and that's why i rarely buy books online)

Osbad
11-05-2009, 13:39
My impulse buy limit is 5. The smallest note.

I know that because when it stopped being possible to buy any metal blisters for less than a fiver a couple of years back I stopped buying them! Up until that point I'd regularly pop into GW when I was passing and walk out again with a blister pack. Those were the days...

Nowadays I only make spot purchases at wargames shows as I can hit on historicals or second hand stuff at "impulse" prices.

Templar Ben
11-05-2009, 13:43
I am sure age plays a large role in that.

Llew
11-05-2009, 13:46
My impulse buy limit is around $25. (I estimate around 17 or 18 pounds?)

I can easily pick up an older computer game or expansion for Civ IV or whatnot under that price. Or 4 or 5 cans of Armory primer. Or a *******' huge pizza and a six pack of beer.

Osbad
11-05-2009, 14:21
I am sure age plays a large role in that.

Most probably. That and having a family. It's not that I'm short of money, but I do feel guilty if I spend too much on myself, instead of on stuff we could all enjoy together.

Cane
11-05-2009, 14:31
I'm a cheapskate by nature when it comes to using money. My impulse limit is $30 and for that price I can purchase several military kits to convert into GW models. In fact with that much money I could get both a Valkyrie (1/48 HinD Revell) and a Leman Russ tank (1/35 Tamiya M41) with dollars to spare. If I bought those kits online I could fit in another one of those models but there's always shipping and handling to consider. Unless its the AOBR or a discontinued item like the Citadel Battlemat, I won't spend more than $25 on any GW product in a brick and mortar store since its so much cheaper online that its almost stupid for me not to.

Thud
11-05-2009, 14:41
I've spent almost 100 on a Fantasy army today, on pure impulse.

I have no self-control.

de Selby
11-05-2009, 14:48
I virtually never impulse buy in the sense of wandering around not knowing what I want and then picking something out.

I have a mental backlog of minis I like but don't own (particularly metal ones), and these I may buy if I see an opportunity to get them half price or less (ie. 2nd hand). I stopped buying GW metals new a while back.

Plastic purchases I make with whole armies in mind and plan out with military precision.

The closest to impulse purchase I've come in recent times is a box of Jes's CO knights, which are so good for 12 retail I recently added them on top of a large order even though I don't even collect DE. I think the era of 12 cavalry is already coming to an end so it probably won't happen again.

Curufew
11-05-2009, 15:00
Around 12 pounds?

Fenrir
11-05-2009, 15:09
Whats odd is that I don't impulse buy GW stuff at all, but I'll think nothing of dropping 50-60 quid on a nice bit of vinyl or a couple of rare books.

That suggests GW has moved over my price limit. Especially when I look at the price of stuff I haven't looked at for a while - 20 for 5 Grey Knights = Joke.

FictionalCharacter
11-05-2009, 15:12
i have a set amount of money that i allot for discretionary spending each week. basically i give myself an allowance, so my impulse buys pretty much all depend on if it's early in the week and i know i'm going out later or if it's the weekend and i've been good up until then.

edit: i won't really impulse buy anything larger than one or two sprues, though. if it's a box of anything, i research it.

Templar Ben
11-05-2009, 15:13
Whats odd is that I don't impulse buy GW stuff at all, but I'll think nothing of dropping 50-60 quid on a nice bit of vinyl or a couple of rare books.

That suggests GW has moved over my price limit. Especially when I look at the price of stuff I haven't looked at for a while - 20 for 5 Grey Knights = Joke.

There is a lot to that. I don't mind spending $5 on a Reaper mini in a blister but I won't buy a $5 candy bar.

orkz222
11-05-2009, 15:19
30 impulse buy limit

Emperor's Grace
11-05-2009, 16:24
$20 give or take. Rest goes to planned purchases. Not to derail the thread but this is the main thing GW has lost from me with the pricing: I still buy -but I buy those planned items that I need for the armies that I have and the true impulse buys tend go to other "more value" games/mini's. The impulse of "Oh, shiny!" for neat things that aren't in my core are kept at bay by the tag.

That and having a family. It's not that I'm short of money, but I do feel guilty if I spend too much on myself, instead of on stuff we could all enjoy together.

Seconded. When I was single, I'd drop a $100 on an impulse item, maybe more (rationalized as equivalent in price to one good bar hop with a better after-effect :) ). Now, I would feel guilty spending that on something my wife and child couldn't use. I suspect that will change again when my son is old enough to play. :D

Tourniquet
11-05-2009, 18:16
Depends.

If i have spare money and no weekend plans. Any where up to 40-50pounds (100-120AU)
If im broke and have weekend plans. maybe $20-$25 (10-12pounds)

Crube
11-05-2009, 18:18
Currently it's zero.

Being off work on SSP only really curtails your GW addiction ;)

Once I'm back, I suppose 20 is about right. Having said that, I very rarely even go to GW let alone buy anything there, so I tend to plan my purchases more carefully.

My impulse purchases are limited to Wii games and DVDs :D

BobtheInquisitor
11-05-2009, 20:53
My impulse buy-limit fluctuates. Usually, it's around 25$ or less, depending on what the item is. Generally, I only buy minis that I went into the store planning to buy, but recently I've been impulse-buying Warlord and Perry Miniatures box sets just to see what GW's competition is like. Last time, I was going to 'impulse-buy' the Cadian Command squad, but instead I thought about the Goldswords and decided to see what Perry Miniatures look like in the flesh...er, plastic. I've also impulse bought a few items mentioned in the "Alternatives to GW" thread, including plastic spaceships from EM4 and the Warzone big bag o' plastic minis. I've also made a couple $1 pre-orders with Wargames Factory in their Liberty and Union League, which I learned about during the 'Goldsword Fiasco' as well.

Generally, I only get to buy models every three months, so I spend a lot and only a little bit of the money is spent on impulse-buys, but this last spree of mine has mostly been impulse-buys with other companies to try out their minis. Normally, this amount of money would have gone to GW, since I've been eying a few Battalion boxes lately, as well as the new IG stuff.

When my wife goes shopping, she often spends $100 or more on clothes and maybe another $100 or so on camera equipment in a month, to give you some perspective on my shopping budget.

Hlokk
11-05-2009, 22:03
25 is my limit, although some things (like marine bikes, tau battlesuits and so on) I wont buy on principle because they're not good value for money IMO.

I will buy big stuff on impulse infrequently. I own a stompa and I have no orks :eek:

Amnar
11-05-2009, 22:04
It's around $50 canadian for me.

Damien 1427
11-05-2009, 22:37
15. But like Hlokk and many others, there are things I won't buy in that limit because I don't think they're worth it.

Khornies & milk
11-05-2009, 23:08
I have never equated the words 'impulse buy' with GW products, and as far as I'm aware neither have the other dozen gamers I know well.

I build a list to 3K and only buy the models I need to fill that list.

MacVurrich
11-05-2009, 23:11
what ever the wifes left me in my wallet,
usually 2

arachnid
12-05-2009, 01:03
Limit?

So far i haven't shopped myself to starvation.

i pick up a blister now and then of something that i think just plain looks cool and want to paint up.

Anecdotal evidence:

Was planning to pick up a Warhydra from my local indie..
Lo-and behold, she was out of the new ones, she had one old one left but theyre *****..
So she opened up a spearhead box and handed me the hydra..,
since noone buys the spearheads, she might as well.

i then went "ooh, is that lokhir in there? i'll have him"
"oh, and is that a dreadlord on coldone?? gotta have it"
"which reminds me, do you have one of those disney-looking evil
stepmom-sorceresses?"
-Yes, but it's a duo pack with a coldone sorc as well..
"Yoink!"

walked out about 100 euros poorer.. (got some paints and stuff as well)

Totally worth it.

However, my spending is going to come to a grinding halt now, as i have more or less bought everything i want..

Until dark eldar come out that is..

Pau1ie
12-05-2009, 05:03
Probably $15-$20 USD. That's enough to pick up an individual metal mini, and maybe a paint color or a wash I want to try. Luckily my FLGS doesn't stock too many individual figs.

Once all the HQ models I ordered last week come in, all I need is one heavy support unit to be able to field most scenarios, so I guess my spending will slow way down - at least until I start on my Ork army...

Hellebore
12-05-2009, 05:09
My impulse buy limit is based on sales discounts.

I just bought 2 stompas because they were on sale from Milsims for $98AUD each (RRP $160). I bought a wall-e robot to make a 3rd stompa because it was on sale from $100 down to $50.

So my impulse rate is entirely based on how much it normally costs and how good a deal it is now and how likely I am to ever actually want or use it (ie if I know that in the future I'll want an ork army I'll buy two stompas now on sale rather than wait until I'm actually making the army and doing it at full price).

Hellebore

Bigbot
12-05-2009, 17:44
A warhound titan

dax
12-05-2009, 20:32
20 is my limit for most impluse buys not just GW stuff the fact that a lot of GW sets are around 22.50 puts them over my limit and I won't just pick one up on the spur of the moment.

silashand
12-05-2009, 21:17
Or a *******' huge pizza and a six pack of beer.

Amen to that. $25 is about my impulse buy limit as well. I can't remember when I've bought something more expensive that wasn't a planned acquisition.

Cheers, Gary

Angelwing
12-05-2009, 21:27
My impulse buy limit is based on sales discounts.

Agreed with this. If something is a good deal thats not likely to be repeated and for something I want, I may well give in to impulse.

Otherwise it would be 5 for occasional blisters of great models, which has unfortunately pushed almost all GW blister packs out of the impulse range. This is possibly a good thing considering I have a boxful of unopened blisters....

BigBadBull
12-05-2009, 21:57
A Reaver titan at the 1.38 to 1 conversion rate. Now at 1.52 to 1....

Xarius
12-05-2009, 22:08
i just dont impulse buy, i'm a rigid planner of purchases, i'm not like the rest of the kids who are just thrown money by their parents,i cant afford to be!

Brimweave
12-05-2009, 22:41
I never really impulse buy, when I go to GW I normally know what I'm gonna get in advanced and have planned it out. If I do go and impulse buy its normally 10 max (e.g. maybe a metal figure or book).

Gussy
12-05-2009, 23:31
Mine's $10 to $20 US Dollars...total for the visit.

Crazy Harborc
13-05-2009, 00:38
Since it is my money from my income/retirement check....$25(USD). Thankfully. there are plenty of minies I like and want for less than $25 per box available on this side of the pond.

violenceha
13-05-2009, 01:04
I used to buy entire armies on impulse. Now the limit on my impulse buying is no impulse buying of GW stuff. Last week i bought a new gas stove on impulse, $2500.
To be honest if white dwarf went back to having decent articles and the prices were reasonable i would probably still be buying everything GW release, on impulse.

Crazy Harborc
13-05-2009, 03:01
I confess....I did not renew my subscription to WD. $75(USD) with no option for more than one year...no two year renewals. Granted, you get 15 issues for the new higher yearly price.

Funny thing, I renewed for 25 less two/three years ago. Oh well inflation I guess?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Meriwether
13-05-2009, 03:14
When it comes to miniatures, I never impulse buy.

The largest impulse buy I have ever actually made was $2,400 USD. Worth. Every. Penny.

Meri

Hicks
13-05-2009, 04:31
It really depends on what kind of deal I can get, but I think the biggest impulse buy I ever made was 7 ogryns for $90 at the LGS. However, I usually buy on ebay, here or bartertown, so with the time it can take to strike a good deal and receive the goods, I have learnt to be patient. It also means that I'm much more of a planner than a impulse buyer.

starlight
13-05-2009, 04:59
In Canada we found it was $20-35. Basically it seemed to come down to this:

The most common bill out of the bank machine is a $20, thus people tend to have these, yet they have a noticable *value* (ie you usually get change from buying small stuff), so if you have to spend two or more of them, the people we talked with were much more likely to pause and consider it a *significant* purchase.

Personally I've dropped hundreds on entire armies on impulse for the right deal. :)

mr.kislev
13-05-2009, 12:01
simple answer way too much. mutters about that warhound......

Azhrarn
13-05-2009, 12:06
Is there a limit on impulse buys? Whatever the price of the fancy thing I thought I'd need is.

Have to agree with Radium on this one.

Steam_Giant
13-05-2009, 12:36
I feel my Impulse spending coming with a hungry feeling, maybe every other month it will start with a rumbling lasting around a week, cresendo'ing into 50-90 of spending on miniatures. Does this count as an impulse buy ?

Otherwise DVDs in the 3-8 are my no.1 impulse buy. We are running out of shelf space !

ashc
13-05-2009, 13:25
in general my impulse buy is about 12 on pretty much anything. Recently its been novels or graphic novels, and certainly not gaming stuff (and definitely not workshop!).

ChrisMurray
13-05-2009, 14:26
However much the shiny object thats caught my eye is.

Templar Ben
13-05-2009, 14:33
There is a difference in that limit too in general when using Debit/Credit vs Cash.

bert n ernie
13-05-2009, 14:47
The last time I did impulse buy is was on stuff that was going less than half price in the local store. Apart from that I haven't impulse bought any gaming stuff in almost 4 years.
I've even started to plan when I buy paints. There's just far too much stuff that look much better on the shelf in the shop then opened and lying unbuilt in my house. At least with computer games I get a set ammount of quantifiable gaming time from each one.
Lots of figures only marginally increase the pleasure you get in a game, so I now only buy if I really must paint AND play with it. So planned all the way.

stonehorse
13-05-2009, 14:56
I used to buy entire armies on impulse.

How I miss those days, when less than 200 could buy a full army. I think I started a new army every 2 months or so.

Earthbeard
13-05-2009, 14:59
I impulse buy stuff all the time, but usually stop at around 20 per item.

Netherghoul
13-05-2009, 16:46
Impulse buy regarding miniatures?
600 euros (been there ;))

silashand
13-05-2009, 17:34
How I miss those days, when less than 200 could buy a full army. I think I started a new army every 2 months or so.

Yeah... It's why I have 9 WFB armies, 6 40K ones and who knows how many for other systems. That's not even counting the ones I've sold and/or given away. GW made a heck of a lot of money off of me back then. As their prices have gone up, the less a percentage of my disposable income they get culminating in 0% after the June price rise. I guess they really don't care that sales are declining as long as they make enough money to temporarily satisfy their stockholders. I just wonder how long it can continue before the remaining players can no longer generate the income they want. Ah well, at least I have enough to paint for years if I don't ever buy another GW miniature :).

Cheers, Gary

Crazy Harborc
14-05-2009, 01:52
I enjoy painting minies while I watch/listen to TV. Before I retired most of my painting of minies from the early 1990s until 1999 was done to GW minies. For a little while after I retired I continued to buy, buy, buy GW minies.

THEN....prices went up. I searched the indies I saw when we traveled for old stock at old prices. Then we got a PC. I discovered there were online stores who sold GW goodies at a discount.:D

GW prices went up again. 20% price increases on GW goodies meant online discounts just meant paying the old full price amount that I would pay locally or from GW mailorder(PLUS S & H).

I discovered....rediscovered non-GW minies. AND now I buy very little GW goodies. I do spend a fair amount in a year on non-GW minies. I buy where I get a senior citizen discount or from merchants that discount prices anyway.
In stores or online, I buy at a discount....OR .....I don't buy.

chromedog
14-05-2009, 06:50
I have a zero point limit for impulse spending (GW or otherwise).

I buy only what I need or would like to have (and the 'would likes' can wait several months until I can afford to get them - which kinda negates the 'impulsiveness' of the buy).

If GW direct retail is too expensive ($35 for 10 models when it used to be $50 for 20 - wtf?) then I'll find an online dealer and spend my money there. If that's still too expensive, I'll bide my time until it hits the 2nd hand market and buy it for a pittance.

LonelyPath
14-05-2009, 19:06
Mine varies depending on how much money'd in my pocket at the time. However, it averages from 15 - 25.

KhorneWarrior13
15-05-2009, 00:31
Around $30 is my limit for an impulse buy.

Vermin-thing
15-05-2009, 10:05
I've spent almost 100 on a Fantasy army today, on pure impulse.

I have no self-control.

I too have next to no control. :D Today, and the last I've spent over $180 on my vampires. 50% of these were impulse buys (I wanted skeletons but I got ghouls instead just for the heck of it). Most of the time I only buy the things I need, but some times I cave and spend the money on random things that might be useful, and or fun to build, and paint. I have a habit of planing my purchases in advance, and some times I notice myself buying something completely unrelated. :eyebrows::confused: With these new price rises on the horison I don't think I can afford to do anymore spur of the moment spending. :cries: So on average my budget is $25-$60.

bringerofdecay
15-05-2009, 10:11
i don't impulse buy, my i plan my finances meticulously about 1 week before payday and any money i allocate to this particular hobby will be carefully spent on things i think are good additions to any of my armies/systems again, planned out often months before i buy them.

Jedi152
15-05-2009, 10:11
20 average might be a bit high, i was just sure i read that somewhere.

Mine is about 12. Anything below that is just cash i have floating around and above that is 'serious'. That's why the new army books are just out for me. I used to buy one i hadn't got just because i had some cash in my wallet - i've always liked reading them - but now it's over my threshold, i'll only buy for my armies.

Slaaaaaanesh
15-05-2009, 10:14
Most of the time I only buy the things I need, but some times I cave and spend the money on random things that might be useful, and or fun to build, and paint.

Ahhh the 'might be useful mentality!' don't you just love it :)

I think less than 10 is a reasonable impulse buy for me, but that depends on what I'm buying and value. For instance I am comfortable buying Lootas because of the large amount of bits you get in it. (you effectively get enough for burna weapons and loota weapons and heads with only one set of torso and legs). However Ork Nobs I hesitate at even though it's at 15. Still only buying five men but 3 more. (Ok there if a slight flaw in my argument as the nobz box set comes with loads of heads and arm bits but the price is dearer.) And don't get me started on how expensive chaos terminators are 25 for 5 when 5 lootas cost 12!

Illotus
15-05-2009, 10:25
My impulse buy limit is somewhere around €100-200. That doesn't mean that I will buy something I see in a store that I like, but rather that I then go surf web to see where I can get the something cheapest. Exception to this is bitz, I can make some really ridiculous bizt purchases from all the bitz stores without really thinking about it and usually forgetting the conversion ideas I bought those bitz for.

Vermin-thing
15-05-2009, 10:41
(Ok there if a slight flaw in my argument as the nobz box set comes with loads of heads and arm bits but the price is dearer.) And don't get me started on how expensive chaos terminators are 25 for 5 when 5 lootas cost 12!

Termies have been $50 since the dawn of time. ;) In this rare case you might be paying more simply because the end models are larger than the regular guys. As for the Nob box, sure it's only 5 nobs, but it's also a butt load of extra, and very useful bitz. Out of the one box you can make: (in very high quality) 5 nobs, 5 'eavy weapon boyz, 5 flash Gitz (with some other kit bashing), and si-bork boyz/nobz. Also you can make a plastic Dok if you don't like the metal one. I see lots of value in this kit, but then there's the Goldswords delema witch gives you lotz of bitz, high quality models, and a steal for only $20 more! :D If GW had priced the nob kit any more than it did I would'nt have bought 2 boxes worth, and some Storm boyz along with them.

Crazy Harborc
16-05-2009, 02:31
Several years ago GW let it be known that "some" of the minies would be priced higher to reflect expected lower/slower sales numbers of those minies.

At the time (here 0n Portent/Warseer) posters said it was more likely that GW would raise prices on "some" of the minies because GW expected higher than average sales numbers on those products......It does seeem to be happening....ie 10 plastic Empire Great Swords for only $41.25.:rolleyes:

Darkane
16-05-2009, 02:45
usually if I find myself walking into a store I may spend anywhere from $50-$150 but then again its rare for me to actually buy anything at all so it all kinda evens out. Out of the entire year I may only have 2 or 3 of these spending splurges. Usually I just pick up paint and that's it. Forgeworld is where I spend most of my money but none of it on impulse. Everything is planned and saved for when it comes to the resin stuff.

Faeslayer
16-05-2009, 02:51
$20. Most of my "impulse buys" these days are paints.

Spleendokta
17-05-2009, 07:28
Ever since I bought my first house, I realy limit myself on what I purchase. I use to go into a GW shop foaming at the mouth to just buy something. Now I seem to buy stuff for the house rather than a new shiny minature. God im getting old!

RevEv
17-05-2009, 09:10
Until yesterday I would have said 10 - but then I saw the Cadian Battleforce set and gave in... OK, mainly because my son wanted a squad, I wanted the command squad, and I knew I'd buy the rest eventually.

It is a good saving - about a third off, and with my bitz box I've been able to build a second command squad already (even more savings).

Nephilim of Sin
17-05-2009, 09:17
Normally, between $10 and $20 (almost always walk away with a Movement tray set, if nothing else). However....

There were a few times when I went into the LGS after cashing my check. The first was when the new terrain first came out. I only went in for a White Dwarf, and walked away with a Fortified Manor, Arcane Ruins, a Chapel, and two sets of woods...purely on impulse reaction. None of which has been painted at this point.

The other time, again on payday, was more understandable. Walked in and some items were marked half off. Walked out with the Orc army set, 2 O&G battalions, an Ogre Battalion, and a few random smaller boxsets. Ended up having to trade in some old DVDs to help cover that impulse, but it really was worth it.

freddythebig
17-05-2009, 11:57
I took my wife to our local Hobbycraft yesterday as she wanted some stuff for one of her interests. They stock GW along with various modelling and model railroad stuff.
I had about 30 spare in my pocket to spend if something caught my eye.
I looked at the GW stuff and then spent my money on some model railroad scenery stuff to use with my Historical games. I got more for my money.
This seems to be the pattern for my impulse buying these days, when I can afford to do any.

The boyz
17-05-2009, 13:20
My impulse buy limit was about a 5. Occasionally it might be a bit more. It would depend on how much loose change I had at the time, to get rid off.

Nowadays I don't normally impulse buy any more. I either buy it because I need it or I don't buy it at all. Most GW stuff is now well out of my impulse buy limit anyway.

Master Stark
17-05-2009, 13:42
My impulse buy limit is around $50

Lord of Worms
17-05-2009, 13:58
On ebay? Whatever's a good deal!:D Otherwise nothing. I buy paint in GW,that's it. Retail's for chumps.

theunwantedbeing
17-05-2009, 14:02
20 as that's as much as I tend to have on me (or am able to find!).
My last impulse buy was pegasus nights, as I found 20.

I would possibly be tempted if there was some sort of offer on, like drastically slashed prices.

Crazy Harborc
18-05-2009, 00:30
Ever since I bought my first house, I realy limit myself on what I purchase. I use to go into a GW shop foaming at the mouth to just buy something. Now I seem to buy stuff for the house rather than a new shiny minature. God im getting old!

Welcome to the real world of adulthood, of financial responsibility. The world of paying for our own toys.;)

As the years go by and with a little luck you, me, we....will be able to continue to buy/be able to buy....again....those 28mm minies we need to be happy. WE "need to have" to give ourselves more goodies.:)

librerian_samae
20-05-2009, 00:47
Used to be 20 now its one of those 12 troop/ cav boxes.

But I have seen the Dark angles fortress model and valkerie, good job and extremely skint really I geuss.

laudarkul
21-05-2009, 13:40
I put some various amount of money per mount (35-50) and I buy books (mostly from 40K) and minis. With this hard period with crisis and so on I think that this year it's going to be 35/month. But if I'm going to make a loan for a home I think that only for Christmas I'm going to spoil myself (which is going to be hard :rolleyes: but at least I'll paint all my models).

tk7
21-05-2009, 16:39
I haven't really got a pre determined limit as such. The biggest impulse buy was from Forge World and was about 70 quid (which still baffles my missus - 70 pound for a tank..). I think, to avoid seeing my nuts on a stick, I would think i'd go as high as roughly 100.

Frontier
21-05-2009, 16:45
I think $40 might be enough for me. Considering the increases put a lot of the things I want out of that range, oh well.

Maine
21-05-2009, 19:36
Depends where I am, how much I have in my allowance (my wife and I give ourselves an allowance so as to minimize our spending and impulse buys; $250/mth each).

I have been known to make $300 impulse buys. Usually though I think things through for a day or two before buying anything over $50.

Crazy Harborc
21-05-2009, 20:38
I do little to none of impulse buying these days. My little world is in a hard recession. I guess GW"s world is doing great.....no recessions just price adjustments to reflect GW's numbers for inflation.:rolleyes: