PDA

View Full Version : Novel Covers

Urath
11-05-2009, 22:43
Has anybody ever noticed that a lot of the Horus Heresy series' cover art is highly inconsistant with fluff?

In the attached thumbnail we can see the cover art for the upcoming Fallen Angels novel by Mike Lee. Now, Pre-heresy Dark Angels colours were black with a red winged sword. Why then, is their armour bone white with green?

Other such inconsistencies appear on Galaxy in Flames. All Marines on the front cover are Death Guard, yet they have two armour schemes. Yet never repaint their armour.

Another example is Horus Rising and False Gods. Both Luna Wolves, yet one scheme is silver and the other is white with black trim.

What is going on here? Surely the author should have to approve cover art and the artists should at least be briefed on the book they're drawing a principle feature for. It just seems terribly off, any thoughts?

Brother Siccarius
12-05-2009, 00:35
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover?

Leftenant Gashrog
12-05-2009, 00:52
Another example is Horus Rising and False Gods. Both Luna Wolves, yet one scheme is silver and the other is white with black trim.

The marines on the cover of Horus Rising are mean't to be Sons of Horus not Luna Wolves, the artist for one of the covers has confirmed that BL screwed up and put the covers on the wrong books.

BlackLegion
12-05-2009, 01:04
The marines on Fallen Angels are black. It's the lighting wich lets them appear bone/white.

IncrediSteve
12-05-2009, 01:36
Nevermind the errors with marks of armor and cannon screwups, most of the covers are just genuinely awful.

I hope they do the Horus Heresy up in omnibus form, and get some nice Clint Langley covers on them, like the Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibuses and more recent novels. It's a shame he doesn't do more of their covers.

Gdolkin
12-05-2009, 01:47
How are they "genuinely awful", then? Which ones in particular, and why?

IncrediSteve
12-05-2009, 03:33
Well none of them are especially good, and the proportions just seem off a lot.

Then you get things like this (http://www.blacklibrary.com/images/books-large/tales-of-heresy.jpg) [though not directly HH related, but still].

101st Vostroyan
12-05-2009, 04:39
I dont see what is so bad about that cover. I think the covers to the Horus Heresy books are nicely done and very interesting. So what if they are not perfect. This is a game of infinite possibilities and the ability to create your own story is it not?

spacewolf_sven
12-05-2009, 05:21
The marines on the cover of Horus Rising are mean't to be Sons of Horus not Luna Wolves, the artist for one of the covers has confirmed that BL screwed up and put the covers on the wrong books.

I wonder what else they screwed up??
a paragraph here, a chapter there. It would all add up...
And yes many BL covers are awful look at he blood angels covers. looks as if All the Blood Angels (and some of their latter foundings) are entirely dead in the background. Do I need to add this does not happen in the book????

Brother Siccarius
12-05-2009, 11:49

Then you get things like this (http://www.blacklibrary.com/images/books-large/tales-of-heresy.jpg) [though not directly HH related, but still].
How is it not directly HH related? It's "Tales of Heresy" and it's got "Horus Heresy" stamped at the top!

Something tells me that hasn't happened, ever. If they had actually taken a paragraph from another book, you'd definitely have noticed.

And yes many BL covers are awful look at he blood angels covers. looks as if All the Blood Angels (and some of their latter foundings) are entirely dead in the background. Do I need to add this does not happen in the book????

Do I need to point out that covers can and will often have nothing to do with the reality of what happens in the book? The point of the cover art on a book is not to sum up the book (that's the point of the summary on the back), it's to give you a general feel of the setting and the feel of the writing, not to tell you what happens in the book.

Seriously, if we're being so picky as to pick apart the books based on the covers, there's a serious issue with the fanbase having too much time on their hands, and being way too whinny. "Oh it was a good book, but that cover just ruined it for me!"

pookie
12-05-2009, 13:36
there was a artist who did the legion Cover on here once, it was pointed out he'd used the wrong armour and low an behold it changed.

OP - why dont you wait to read the book before commenting? it could clearly be soemthing in it that gives you the reason why ( or not as i suspect )

Killgore
12-05-2009, 16:19
there have been some fantastic HH book covers, Mechanicus and flight of the Esinstein spring to mind

generaly BL have great cover art for their books.

mechaace
12-05-2009, 17:06
Having never read any of the BL books, I couldn't say about their covers, but I know for a fact that it's not just them. Pretty much all companies do it, as shown by things like the new covers for some of the older Honor Harrington books, where the ships are clearly shown with great big reaction drives at the back, when all the details in the books says that the ships move through a gravitic drive.

It's probably someone is just given a brief, and the author writes the book, and half the time neither gets to see what the other has done. They both have probably fulfilled their jobs, it's just one of these things.

Don't let the front artwork spoil a book for you as often they aren't entirely connected.

GraveGuard
12-05-2009, 17:13
It's fairly common practice as has been pointed out, and not just with BL. It is "Don't judge a book by it's cover".

They do tend to very wildly aswell like something very small such as the discription of the Sea Dragon Rider in Elfslayer not matching the one on the front cover to book covers depicting something that never actually happens in the book atall.

Urath
12-05-2009, 18:08
@pookie: I am eagerly awaiting the second Dark Angels book and as long as the story itself is solid, I could care less about the cover. It just seems they're very simple inconsistencies that could easily be cleared up, for an official release and all.

@Gashrog: Ah I see, Black Library's fault :(

PondaNagura
12-05-2009, 22:07
i have a feeling Neil Roberts [the illustrator] has a common template on which all the marines are based off of, and then he tweaks them here and there for repositioning/skin details, so he probably doesn't change the proportions too often, given how many repositions he must do per image, per book. and then all the post-rendering effects

really the cover art just says "this book is an epic, read me!"

Felwether
12-05-2009, 23:29
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover?

Winz.

Also I have to say I really like the HH covers. Particularly the piece done for Legion.

djinn8
13-05-2009, 01:02
I'd have to say that Fulgrim has the best cover in my eyes, although I feel the lighting effects used in the picture are a little confusing. Me and my friend spent about an hour trying to figure out who the Emperors Children were fighting. They look like Blood Angels, but its only after reading the story that you can figure out who they are.

pookie
13-05-2009, 13:16
@pookie: I am eagerly awaiting the second Dark Angels book and as long as the story itself is solid, I could care less about the cover. It just seems they're very simple inconsistencies that could easily be cleared up, for an official release and all.

True, tho not looking forward to another DA book if the last HH one is anything to go by ( tho the short story in the new compelation book was pretty good), i'l get it, coz im like that, but enjoy it? well i'l be suprised if the only thing i enjoy is the picture on the front myself.

Urath
13-05-2009, 16:29
I didn't mind "Descent of Angels" to be honest, while it wasn't quite what anyone really expected, it was nice to read of the culture on Caliban and how that transffered into the Dark Angels.

pookie
13-05-2009, 16:33
I didn't mind "Descent of Angels" to be honest, while it wasn't quite what anyone really expected, it was nice to read of the culture on Caliban and how that transffered into the Dark Angels.

True ( oh and no im not following you around :) lol ) but if id have known it was Swords and Horses, id have just got a WHFB novel. ( actually thats a lie i wouldnt, but i might not have been so quick to read it )

Urath
13-05-2009, 16:54
Haha it's cool o.O

I get what you're saying though, it took us all in a sneak attack. I don't regret buying it though. But, as you said, I wouldn't have been as quick to read it either.

Gdolkin
13-05-2009, 17:35

I'll admit that I couldn't figure out that it was meant to be Angron, despite the bunny-ears marine just to his left, until I'd reached 'After Deshea' in the book, and also that if that is Angron and the World Eaters then it has to be sometime after Isstvan V but before Terra (red, bunny-eared WE being led by a still 'human' Angron, who still has an Imperial chestplate and no Khorne icons?), which is nothing to do with the events of After Deshea..
But I won't say it's a bad picture. Just like all the HH covers, it is very evocative and epic, gives you a feel for a battlefield where 1000s of Astartes are charging :) I think it's an excellent depiction of Angron the savage gladiator-Primarch. Cheers.

Urath
13-05-2009, 18:38
On a side note, "After Desh'ea" is probably the best story in that book and the author is terribly underrated in my opinion.

IncrediSteve
13-05-2009, 18:45
But I won't say it's a bad picture.

To each their own; I just think he looks funny, more like he's constipated than a conquerer.

Don't get me wrong though, a cover implies nothing of the content within, it's just nice when the artwork it has is good as well.

spacewolf_sven
15-05-2009, 06:15

I was being mabye too sarcastic here,HOWEVER, anyone who's read wolf's honour may have seen the overuse of a particular phrase over and over again. I got quite sick of it. "the young space wolf this, the young space wolf that...

nightgant98c
20-05-2009, 16:52
I'd say the biggest problem with that cover art is that his legs look too small for the rest of his body.

pookie
20-05-2009, 16:59
I'll admit that I couldn't figure out that it was meant to be Angron, despite the bunny-ears marine just to his left, until I'd reached 'After Deshea' in the book, and also that if that is Angron and the World Eaters then it has to be sometime after Isstvan V but before Terra (red, bunny-eared WE being led by a still 'human' Angron, who still has an Imperial chestplate and no Khorne icons?), which is nothing to do with the events of After Deshea..
But I won't say it's a bad picture. Just like all the HH covers, it is very evocative and epic, gives you a feel for a battlefield where 1000s of Astartes are charging :) I think it's an excellent depiction of Angron the savage gladiator-Primarch. Cheers.

he's stood on a Dark Green Helmet, which could well be that of a Salamander? so would be around Istvaan maybe?