PDA

View Full Version : Coming back and wondering where to go...

kaubin
12-05-2009, 01:36
Hey, I was going to check out the sticky with the army overview, but unfortunately it says i'm not authorized to see the article.

I played a Dark Elf army that I loved a few years back. Unfortunately, a new version of the game came out, coupled with an increased popularity of 40k and winter pretty much destroyed my local Warhammer playing group, and I gave it up. Recently i've found a new group of regular Warhammer heads, and im thinking about getting back in there.

Here's the problem though, I don't have an army anymore. But I like to look on the bright side, and think that it gives me a second chance to fall in love with the perfect army for me with the new rules (I don't think they've changed so much, but i'm sure it makes a difference).

I tend to favour dark armies as a rule. I've done a lot of research and have narrowed down the armies i'd like to play to 3.

Of course i'd still like to play Dark Elves. Dark Riders are one of my favourite troups in the entire game, and I also like the Witch Elves and Cold Ones a lot. I will probably be fielding Dark Riders as a major portion of my army if I go this route. The war Hydra wasn't even a model yet when I quit. I'm a little dissapointed that the Dark Rider 5 pack boxes turned into Cold One 5 pack boxes, it's going to be pricey to get an interesting amount of core units and cheap to buy my special units...and aesthetically painting Dark Elves doesn't seem as fun as the other two armies i'm considering.

The second army I am considering is the Daemons of Chaos army. Each unit seems to have it's perks, and there is a lot of variety to choose from and a lot of units to experiment with. I like the flying/terror combo going on with the Greater Daemons, although it's going to be a while before I get enough points to field one. I don't really like the lack of balistics, and the lower initiative though. I'm used to striking first and shoot a lot with the Dark Elves, and I don't know how that's going to go.

The last army i'm considering is the Vampire Counts. When I stopped playing they were just called The Undead, and I really like the Vampire theme a lot more. The thing that bothers me with the Vampire Counts is the disposable units (zombies and skeletons). Having played Dark Elves, the idea of a unit made to take heavy casualties seems absurd, and it seems like all the core units die easily to anything. There's also a lack of balistics support once again. I really like the idea of etheral units though, and I definately plan to get my hands on some of those units.

Any general (or specific) advice would be really appreciated. I really want an army fun to play that my opponent will enjoy as well. I've seen that some armies gather up a lot of hate, and I want the games to be fun more than just winning games.

Dark14
12-05-2009, 01:42
daemons are an auto win button i would avoid them. especially as your finding a new group you wont make alot of friends massace after massacre. also sounds like your a dark elf at heart so go back to them the models are awesome and the new fluff is great.

Gork or Possibly Mork
12-05-2009, 01:53
I really want an army fun to play that my opponent will enjoy as well. I've seen that some armies gather up a lot of hate, and I want the games to be fun more than just winning games.

DarkElves all the way then. The other two you will probably catch alot of :rolleyes: "You beat me because you play...insert other two armies here ______ not because of tactics" comments. Even if you play toned down list people might complain. You shouldn't have any complaints with DE or atleast less than the other two.

And it already best fits the style you said you like. Stick with them. They are good and fun to play against.

WarlockOMork
12-05-2009, 01:53
If i read it correctly, i think you awnsered your own question.

Dark Elves :)

ChaosCajun
12-05-2009, 01:54
All 3 of the armies you mention are considered the 'killer' armies of 7th. Based on your past experience and your apparent love of maneuver and shooting, I'd recommend Dark Elves. Plus Daemons and VC's will get you no end of complainers.

kaubin
12-05-2009, 02:48
Thanks a lot for the input, I really do feel at home with the Dark Elves, kind of wondering why I was second guessing myself so much...anyways, anyone know where to get the older cheaper dark rider models :p

BrazenSix
12-05-2009, 02:48
Dark Elves!

TheZombieSquig
12-05-2009, 03:17
There's rumours of a new plastic dark rider set coming on the horizon, but it may just be someone's daydream.

Dark Elves have been revamped significantly this edition.