PDA

View Full Version : The coolest models you can't justify buying.

cuda1179
12-05-2009, 01:49
There are models out there that many players would love to have, but can't bring themselves to buy. This could be because to how rare they are, how expensive, how bad the rules are, or how hard they are to put together.

Models on the top of my list:
Master of the Ravenwing on a bike. He has decent rules and a super model, but I can't bring myself to use Dark Angel rules to represent him as the codex is sub-par.
Tyranid Gargoyls. They use to have great rules, but they are metal on tall flight stands that tip over. Plus they are super expensive for a squad.

What do you want, but can't have?

MrGiggles
12-05-2009, 02:03
For my current army, most of it's of the Forge World category. Things like the Battle Fortress or Gargantuan Squiggoth. If I really wanted to, I could probably save and afford them, but I just can't justify it for a model I'll only use for a game or two per year. Aside from that, I really don't have much to pine over model wise. The Ork range was redone pretty recently and most of it's plastic now, so I'm not that bad off.

For my Nuns with Guns though, I shake my head when I look at doing Celestians, Dominions and Retributors. The $5 dollar per Sister models aren't great on the bargain scale to begin with, but the $10-$14 dollar special weapons models are a rough touch no matter how you slice them. The only saving grace is that I don't need a metric tonne of the things. For the transports though, it's somewhat entertaining. Forge World Exorcists and Repressors actually win out over the GW versions with the Forge World doors and such. I nearly fell out of my chair when I figured that one out.

I think the Gargoyles have my 'issues' beat by a large margin though.

Dach
12-05-2009, 02:04
Thunderhawk! :cool:

Tourniquet
12-05-2009, 02:06
Eldar Titan
Baneblade

blameless
12-05-2009, 02:19
Space marine Vangaurd... overpriced and not flash but so cool looking.

TheDarkDuke
12-05-2009, 02:26
For the longest time it was Sentinels and it prevented me from starting a IG army as they would have raise the $$ way too high for me. Now they have all the options and are $15-20 cheaper Im happy.

Now it is:

Baneblade or variants
Stompa

My brother will disagree but Grey Knight Marines and Terminators.

I will probably grab them at some point, but right now I can't justify paying $110 plus tax CDN for a single model (I don't play apocalypse at the moment) when that same value gets me a battleforce/battalion worth of models.

Khornies & milk
12-05-2009, 02:53
I pretty much have everything I need for all my armies, for standard 40K and Apoc, except that I would love to get a Titan sometime, but I can't see the value in the FW ones...A$700-$800 for a single model, nah sorry.

However, when/if they ever do a plastic one for half the price I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

Imperius
12-05-2009, 02:56
Forgeworld, search any product.

TheDarkDuke
12-05-2009, 03:18

I don't think this is remotely true.

A lot of the infantry upgrades are extremely well costed, like the DG/WE marine/terminator upgrades. All the SM Terminator pads and vehicle doors again are very reasonable (just look at the cost of metal pads or BT vehicle upgrade sprue or bits dealers). Several of the single models are well priced like the DKoK Comms, and some upgrades like Elysian respirator heads are very cheap. Some countries can actual buy forgeworld cheaper then games workshop, AUS can do so with any Leman Russ full kit. For the longest time you could get one of the two DKoK command squads for the same cost as the metal Cadian one.

Yes the larger items are very pricey, and somethings seem vastly over priced compared to other forgeworld items. However to blanket all of forgeworld is a bit naive IMO.

helvexis
12-05-2009, 03:25
hellions for me love how they look they just dont do anything ever so im not spending money on them ... which is a huge shame and yeah master of ravenwing looks well cool

TheFloatingHead
12-05-2009, 03:33
FW Death Korps Mounted Commissar. E-Bay had several listed at $80.00 each.

blackcherry
12-05-2009, 03:36
The possessed and the spawn kits. Some very nice models, impaired slightly because of slightly duff rules.

On Forgeworld:

A lot of the infantry upgrades are extremely well costed, like the DG/WE marine/terminator upgrades.

I have to say you have a point there Dark Duke. Though there are some models that I would love to have but are too expensive (some of the vehicles and the greater demon models), others, like the executioner kits are good value for money.

In fact I was very happy when I realised that if I bought the forgeworld chaos ogrins (non nurgle) as the box of 5, and the forgeworld nurgle dreadnought (old one), then I was saving money on the GW models:eek:!

Curufew
12-05-2009, 03:40
Grey Knights Terminators. I don't even play them in the first place

unclejimbo827
12-05-2009, 03:42
Ogryns.

You said justify, that doesn't mean I didn't buy six...

Axis
12-05-2009, 04:08

Nah. My FW Night Lords dreadnought ended up costing about the same as a GW one (or maybe slightly less). Depends on exchange rates really...

The latest hive tyrant is the one i can't justify. It is a cool model but i had 2 3rd ed tyrants and a 2nd ed one... i just don't need it.

rabblerouser
12-05-2009, 04:09

You could use them as an assault squad... just convert the weapons
The price difference isn't much considering how much better the vanguard figures look

Epicenter
12-05-2009, 04:17

QFT.

Want so much, but living in California we as might as well be Australia or New Zealand for how much GW cares about us (despite the fact the gits are on the East Coast). So eBay's the only place.

But...the price. Augh, the price. It burns my wallet.

hush88
12-05-2009, 04:42
Forgeworld Vehicles/Monstrous creatures; models are still fine (barely) but vehicles/MCs are just so costly.

Also the resin, it is just too brittle for a playing environment.

tuebor
12-05-2009, 05:06
I love Ogryns and Inquisitor Karamazov but I really can't justify buying either.

Kiras of the flame
12-05-2009, 05:11
Ork Boyz... Always worth it no matter what and the things they leave behind... Coupled with the fact that I can make any boy in my army unique...

Truly they don't get enough credit...

destroyerlord
12-05-2009, 05:12
As others have said, FW prices are quite competitive when it comes to things like dreadnoughts and infantry upgrades.

For me its the plastic possessed. GW just never seems to get these guys right, back in 3.5 they had decent rules but metal models that looked like a 12 year old's first attempt at greenstuffing. The new plastics released with the 5th ed codex are simply superb, but crummy rules make them undesirable in one's army...
Techpriests/marines are similar in that respect too, cool models but sub-par choices compared to other elite units in their respecive armies.

Inquisitor Engel
12-05-2009, 05:15
Forge World excluded -

Master of the Ravenwing on a bike - truly beautiful model. The hair on him is amazing too. I'll probably be using him to represent Kahn on a bike at some point, just mount it lower to the ground.

Imperius
12-05-2009, 05:19

A lot of the infantry upgrades are extremely well costed, like the DG/WE marine/terminator upgrades. All the SM Terminator pads and vehicle doors again are very reasonable (just look at the cost of metal pads or BT vehicle upgrade sprue or bits dealers). Several of the single models are well priced like the DKoK Comms, and some upgrades like Elysian respirator heads are very cheap. Some countries can actual buy forgeworld cheaper then games workshop, AUS can do so with any Leman Russ full kit. For the longest time you could get one of the two DKoK command squads for the same cost as the metal Cadian one.

Yes the larger items are very pricey, and somethings seem vastly over priced compared to other forgeworld items. However to blanket all of forgeworld is a bit naive IMO.

I live in Canada:
(Imperial Guard)
10 Models from GW, 25$
10 Metal Models from GW, 50$
10 Resin Models from FW, 55$ + Shipping and Handling.

Imperial Infantry easily more expensive with Forgeworld.

Tanks: Lets not even get into this too far, a '**** Pattern ____' always double in price,or more ,of a normal one from GW. Add shipping and handling.

If you buy 250+ of our products you get free shipping and handling. I don't know about you, but I don't normally want to buy 60 Infantry, or 3, maybe 4 tanks that are barely bigger than my hand. You may claim GQ products are boring and lame, everyone has them, but they are still fun to play with and can be turned into beautiful models just like your forgeworld ones.

Roguebaron
12-05-2009, 05:27
For me it's the new Stompa, I'd love to build and customize one, but I have no intention of ever building orks and it would just collect dust when done, so it would just be self indulgence, and Forgeworld has already gotten to much of my money from doing that.

Corpse
12-05-2009, 05:27
A titan (or any super-heavy). I just cant grasp that paying more points for a model thats inferior to multiple models with the same weapons and that can only be used in apocalypse officially. While the other models are used anytime (except maybe combat patrol).

WorLord
12-05-2009, 05:34
Baneblade, Shadowsword - not a good buy since I don't play IG

sisters of battle squad - not really useful since I don't play inquisition

FW falcon conversion w/ dual web spinners -Doomweaver? Cool model, crap rules...

Possessed, chaos spawn, that extra squad of berserkers (yes, you can have too many...), chaos dreadnought

That 3rd necron lord, both C'tan, pariahs - maybe next year...

back to chaos - 2 1st edition devastators w/ conversion beamers. I love the old heavy weapon designs but not sure what to do with these guys.

Skyrir
12-05-2009, 05:39
Chaos terminators, and also probably loyalist, I dunno. They're $10 a pop, and yet I have so many...........

Kveld-Ulf
12-05-2009, 05:39
I'm going to have to go with Bloodthirster done by Forgeworld. His only purpose would be to use for Apocalypse games as An'ggrath model.

I've never even had a chance to play Apocalypse though.

Khornate Fireball (Ork)
12-05-2009, 06:10
Stuff that doesn't have to do with my Orks. I'm not getting derailed, dammit! Though, a ton of stuff is tempting, not least Guard and Chaos and... But I must remain strong! My will cannot be... Ooh, shiny!

Also, unclejimbo... Opeth is so awesome. I saw them live a couple weeks back. It was great.

Inquisitor Engel
12-05-2009, 06:18
FW falcon conversion w/ dual web spinners -Doomweaver? Cool model, crap rules...

God tell me about it... I've had mine do more damage as a battering ram than with its actual weapon.

IrishDelinquent
12-05-2009, 06:18
Samael, Master of the Ravenwing: He is a bad-ass looking model, and one day I might use him to represent a Commander on bike for my army. Right now though he's too expensive.

The Masters of the Chapter: I want the model with the Thunder hammer, and the one with the giant storm shield, but a $50 box for two models isn't worth it for me.

The Shadowsword/Stormlord box: the giant tanks look awesome, but I can't justify spending $90 on something I would only be able to use once in a while.

NightrawenII
12-05-2009, 06:53
Ships from BFG, Im not interested in game but goddamm they will look awesome on my desk.:chrome:

Ddraiglais
12-05-2009, 07:12
A custom imperator. If I were to hire anyone with decent skills, it'd be at least two grand.

The FW fortress. It's gorgeous, but I don't have that kind of money.

FW DKoK. I guess I could collect them slowly, but getting a playable army would take forever.

CSM possesed. GW finally got the models right, then screwed the rules up.

CSM dread. I never liked the unpredictable rules for them, but this last codex made sure I won't even think about fielding them until the next dex.

Griffin
12-05-2009, 07:19
Forgeworld keeper of Secrets - my goodness is it pretty. Especially the details on the back and spine.

Cheitan Shadowless
12-05-2009, 07:23
Gargoyles. I love their rules and their looks and I want to have a brood of 'em so badly - but my experiences with metal models on flying bases PLUS their horrid cost means that it just won't happen.

If, on some distant day, they release plastic Gargoyles, I'll be all over them. I just hope they don't change their looks too much.

Binky
12-05-2009, 08:08
QFT.

Want so much, but living in California we as might as well be Australia or New Zealand for how much GW cares about us (despite the fact the gits are on the East Coast). So eBay's the only place.

But...the price. Augh, the price. It burns my wallet.

You could get an almost identical model with a fairly simple conversion (which is pretty much what the Death Rider Commisar is TBH), from the waist down it's identical to a regular death rider model (which I was a little disappointed about), so would just need to cut the Death Rider off at the waist, leave the arm holding the reins and stick the Commisars body back in it's place. Only difference would be one less equipment pouch and a slightly different gasmask on the horse.

Not ideal, but better than the silly e-bay prices.

Khornies & milk
12-05-2009, 08:27
I'm going to have to go with Bloodthirster done by Forgeworld. His only purpose would be to use for Apocalypse games as An'ggrath model.

I've never even had a chance to play Apocalypse though.

One of the guys in my gaming group has An'ggrath, and it's an absolute killing machine in Apoc, should be mind you at 888 pts....absolutely jawdroppingly beautiful model though.

I can't see the point in buying the true FW IG superheavies (not the Arkurion pattern) anymore either, as I can get 3 GW plastic ones for the price of one.
I know the resin ones are nicer models but still......

Scarecrow808
12-05-2009, 09:29
i take serious offence at this eppicenter but i aggre with you all the same
QFT.

Want so much, but living in California we as might as well be Australia or New Zealand for how much GW cares about us (despite the fact the gits are on the East Coast).

ezikeeill
12-05-2009, 09:38
I'm going to say in a small voice Karskin Soilders.

Far to expensive for what you get.

Ezi...

Azhrarn
12-05-2009, 10:14
Even more metal daemons for my Army (30 horrors were painful enough on my wallet, thank you. Bloodcrushers at 25 each is nasty aswell.)

Forgeworld stuff, I'm mainly reluctant purchasing these not because of their price, but because I'm afraid my painting skills aren't up to the task.

I want those lovely models to be done justice, and I might not be able to do that. In price they're actually getting very reasonable. (the Khorne Daemon prince is 5 cheaper than a metal daemon prince would be here, and you get a herald thrown in too. The Bloodslaughterer is also a bit cheaper than a soulgrinder.)

I really want a Brass Scorpion aswell, and given it's price tag, I just might get one, but again I'm more worried about doing them justice with my painting skills than anything else.

m_r_parker
12-05-2009, 10:22
I'd have to echo the FW Brass Scorpion. Bit of a marmite model, but I'm in the "Love it!" camp.
Even with two chaos forces (Word Bearers and Thousand Sons), I'd be hard pushed to try and push it into either of them somehow.

ReclecteR
12-05-2009, 10:39
Baneblade variants for me. Also all those really expensive metal models that come in blisters (wraithguard, gargoyles, etc.)
An another note, I did start collecting Grey Knights simply so I could use the Brother Captain Terminator model :p Plus their fun, but whatever

holmcross
12-05-2009, 11:50
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/hrex314.htm

Considering I play nids and crons, he wouldn't do much then stand around and look very, very pretty.

Though I'm hoping I can use him with the SW army I'm going to build when they release the new dex (assuming I like the new book and models)

Mannimarco
12-05-2009, 11:56
i cant justify the valkyrie for my imperial guard, nice model with some sweet rules but...............its not a skimmer! its a flyer that can hover! picture it: "emperor help us! the enemy are coming at us from every direction! what do we do? i know, gently hover above them!"

htj
12-05-2009, 12:42
FW Krieg Death Riders. They keep me up at nights.

d0dgeuk
12-05-2009, 13:27
Just working my way through purchasing all of the phoenix lords. Probably won't use half of them but love the models. Justifying it on the grounds that I might use the apocolyse Phoenix Court formation one day

NealSmith
12-05-2009, 13:35
FW Ork Boss on the Bike.
FW Anpehlion Base (whichever is the big one!)
FW Fortress

most other FW stuff... LOL

SpikeySam
12-05-2009, 13:50
FW chaos renegade guard. Would love an army of them but dont even want to think of the price when you factor in the cadian sqauds you'd need as well.... :(

Captain Micha
12-05-2009, 14:02
Right now? Valkyries and Baneblades. Hands down.

If they made Plastic Titans they would be on this list too.

Master Stark
12-05-2009, 14:08
Probably any model over around $500 AUD.

JustTony
12-05-2009, 14:14
The Manta. Almost 2 grand ($2000!) for one model. I've bought cars for less.

Fan-damn-tastic model though. Maybe if I win the lottery?

satanslandlady
12-05-2009, 14:32
Forgeworld keeper of Secrets - my goodness is it pretty. Especially the details on the back and spine.

That's at the top of my list... or the brass scorpion cause I don't actually want to use it.

As far as non forgeworld models... metal daemonettes and metal seekers... I've already spent ~$180 on the 14 metal seekers I have... and $40 on the 10 metal daemonettes but I'll never be happy with the number I have.

Azhrarn
12-05-2009, 15:26

Already have one of those, she's quite something.
But hard to do justice with my painting, I'm very slowly working on her.
Lots of large skin areas to shade. :cries:

As for the back and spine, just normal human really. Will need lots of shading, but it's mostly the face, claws and clothing that worries me.

EmMeTt
12-05-2009, 15:34

I am in this situation too. I really like the models but I won't use them so I can't bring myself to buy them!!

Askari
12-05-2009, 15:48
Brass Scorpion, Reaver Titan, Vraks Renegade Guard... want them all but so can't afford to yet...

SabrX
12-05-2009, 16:05
Old Deamonettes (squad of 10 sells for around $50-$60 off Ebay). Also the High Elves plastic Dragon is worth mentioning. :cool:

However, coolest model I've seen yet (which i'm sure 95% of use arn't willing to spend on) is the Tau Manta. :angel:

librisrouge
12-05-2009, 16:16
I can't believe that nobody has posted the Thunderfire Cannon. Wow, what a sexy model. Wow, what terrible rules.

laudarkul
12-05-2009, 17:56
Ogryns - interesting models but expensive...
Penitent engine - awesome model but why?
Baneblade - no Apoc game this year in my area so...But I have to buy the Shadowsword:D...

Thud
12-05-2009, 18:36
I don't play any Imperial armies, so I can't really justify buying a Warhound... :(

Maybe I'll just buy four of them and call it my Apocalypse army..? :evilgrin:

Mosedeke
12-05-2009, 19:23
The Female Commissar model from the late '90s. I'm styling the characters in my IG army after my old Army Guard drill platoon, and the only major person I don't have is my female Sgt., and that model would be perfect (even looks like her). Problem is I can't bring myself to spend over 40USD off of eBay on a two inch high piece of metal that isn't even that well sculpted.

Mangobreeder
12-05-2009, 21:03
Ork dreadnought

no way i can justify spending 35 on something which is so few points

OhSoLame
12-05-2009, 21:51
FW Keeper of Secrets for me too. Why can't I justify it? It's pretty expensive, I don't own any Emperor's Children Marines... or daemonettes... or any Chaos models at all. It looks ******* amazing though!

exsulis
12-05-2009, 21:52
That Tau Manta ship that carries a boat load of troops.

Dr. Hellbeast
12-05-2009, 23:18
Warhound. Although it's very tempting now you can buy it in 3 easy instalments. ;)

brightblade
12-05-2009, 23:23
:cries:Revenant Titan. So want one. Credit....card.....just.....mustn't.....reach. (Slams wallet shut).:cries:

Agree on the Ork dreadnought. :mad:I have bought so much from gw, but that, I just can't bring myself to buy it.

Joewrightgm
12-05-2009, 23:37
For me, Reaver Titan. Seeing several of these fully laid out in pieces on the internet, I would LOVE to have a crack at building and painting one.

HOWEVER: I can't justify the 3 credits of college level classes cost to buy one. Until I'm out of college that is.

Axis
12-05-2009, 23:54
FW Keeper of Secrets for me too. Why can't I justify it? It's pretty expensive, I don't own any Emperor's Children Marines... or daemonettes... or any Chaos models at all. It looks ******* amazing though!

Is it all of the boobs? Seriously though, it is an ace model! It and the FW great unclean one are absolutely amazing... luckily for me i have the great unclean one on my desk (awaiting to be painted i might add :( ..). Of the three FW greater daemons i only think the bloodthirster isn't that good a model.. though it is HUGE!

Da Black Gobbo
12-05-2009, 23:59

True, i have a friend who actually owns one we call it his first son :P, 9 kilos of resin and a potential of infinite mass destruction.

Hicks
13-05-2009, 00:05
The skull promotion adeptus mechanicus miniatures. I would love to have them, but they must sell for a huge amount of money.

Hasan ibn Sabbah
13-05-2009, 00:17
From models I actually could afford? Grey Knight terminators, lovely minis, but I just can't force myself to buy them only to put them on a shelf... knowing me, I'll buy them in the first moment I acquire too much money in one time, and there will be no voice of reason nearby (my girlfriend) xD

djinn8
13-05-2009, 00:22
The Female Commissar: it's got tons of personality, but around 35 for such a small figure. Geehhhaaawww.....

Y'inglye
13-05-2009, 00:24
The skull promotion adeptus mechanicus miniatures. I would love to have them, but they must sell for a huge amount of money.

About two month ago I saw a lot of them on the E-bay. According to the owner the betting was supposed to start at $100 US.

Y'inglye
13-05-2009, 00:35
1) Thunderhawk Gunship because I can't justify for myself spending $650 CAN for a pile of plastic. Even the Forge World doesn't believe that the Chaos players like me would buy them - there are no options for the Chaos legions doors on the pull-down list.

2) Dreadclaw because I like them so much and I've bought one. I can't spend another $150 CAN on something that is taking me already two years to put together. And the painting is not even in the plans yet...

victorpofa
13-05-2009, 01:02
Ogryns. The squads can't be as big as before, but they are still way too expensive. I only have Wraithguard, Pariah and Immortal squads because of deals such as Apocalypse boxes, or web store gaffs.

CordovaLemonSlayer
13-05-2009, 01:10
I would love to have an Armocast Eldar Phantom Titan. They're just so elegant and tall measuring at 22". I also love old noise marines with guitars.

eek107
13-05-2009, 01:34
I'm a hair's breadth from justifying a Mars Pattern Warhound. It's probably my favourite model in existence, but the price tag is just the slightest bit above my reach.

Having said that, my birthday's only a couple of months away... extravagant items are always a little easier to justify around that time.

JustTony
13-05-2009, 02:00
Originally Posted by exsulis

True, i have a friend who actually owns one we call it his first son :P, 9 kilos of resin and a potential of infinite mass destruction.

Someone actually owns one of these things?! Any idea how hard it was to build, assuming he did so?

cleansingfury
13-05-2009, 02:49
Uh none? I am actually planning out how to spend my first bonus from the army... TAU MANTA GO!!! Oh ya... tau manta... kill me before my mother does?

Giganthrax
13-05-2009, 03:10
Space Marine Bikes.

I used to want to field a bike captain/khan + a full squad of bikes, complete with an attack bike. I love both the models and the idea.

However, the way we place terrain at my local store would mean that my large unit of bikes would be forced to go through terrain all the time. What's more, having about 450 points (the captain included) within a single "shoot me I have no vehicle to hide in" squad simply doesn't fit my playstyle (I love having everything mechanzied). So not only would I be losing expensive models to dangerous terrain tests, I would also likely play badly because fielding a transport-less unit that suffers a lot from being in area terrain would be so far against my playstyle it'd **** me off every game.

Thankfully, them bikes are expensive models. Just seeing their price tags is enough to banish any idea of buying them "just for the heck of it".

Another thing I'd like to buy but can't justify it is a whirlwind or two. While a whirly is surely awesome against hordes (particularly IG), by far the majority of my regular opponents play MEQ or tyranids with lots of MCs. So basically, a whirly would underperform in nearly every battle I play.

MajorWesJanson
13-05-2009, 07:35
Orca Dropship

Manta's Baby brother, and awesome for being a brick with engine pods. But for the price of one I couyld double the size of my Tau army.

Carkey
13-05-2009, 08:30
.....but living in California we as might as well be Australia or New Zealand for how much GW cares about us

In the defence of GW Australia, there are a decent number of games stores, in Brisbane at least. We just don't have anything fancy like Warhammer World or anything.

Also, I'd love to get my hands on:
1) Baneblade - Last time I had $160 in cash was in a game of monoply
2) Marauder Bomber - Super Heavy Flyer are always a win in my books, but usually the Aussie Dollar buys about 30 pence (or whatever).
3)Sister of Battle Seraphim - cool looking, but I never particularly liked their rules

Lord of Worms
13-05-2009, 08:58
Forge World
Titans
Thunderhawks
HellTalons

considering how expensive they are, building them scratch is actually a viable alternative.

Any of the really nifty OOP stuff from ebay, like the Khorne Armorcast cannons, Genestealer Magus, Archeon on foot (Gods above! I saw him go for 60 bucks once). Tzeench Lord on Disc (just for the disc).

mr.kislev
13-05-2009, 11:43
everything bigger then my head made by forge world

Originally Posted by Epicenter
.....but living in California we as might as well be Australia or New Zealand for how much GW cares about us

In the defence of GW Australia, there are a decent number of games stores, in Brisbane at least. We just don't have anything fancy like Warhammer World or anything.

Also, I'd love to get my hands on:
1) Baneblade - Last time I had $160 in cash was in a game of monoply
2) Marauder Bomber - Super Heavy Flyer are always a win in my books, but usually the Aussie Dollar buys about 30 pence (or whatever).
3)Sister of Battle Seraphim - cool looking, but I never particularly liked their rules

quoted for truth in melbourne alone there are atleast 4 GW stores all with really friendly staff

shin'keiro
13-05-2009, 12:25
There are models out there that many players would love to have, but can't bring themselves to buy. This could be because to how rare they are, how expensive, how bad the rules are, or how hard they are to put together.
Models on the top of my list:
Master of the Ravenwing on a bike. He has decent rules and a super model, but I can't bring myself to use Dark Angel rules to represent him as the codex is sub-par. Tyranid Gargoyls. They use to have great rules, but they are metal on tall flight stands that tip over. Plus they are super expensive for a squad.What do you want, but can't have?

Forge World itmes - theyre waaaaay too overpriced

Col. Tartleton
13-05-2009, 13:06
3 Heirophants, 200 gargoyles, and 400 gaunts. Definitely can't afford it, but it would look cool on a table.

Bellygrub
13-05-2009, 14:28
Forge World Death Korps of Krieg. I'd love to have an army of them.

EmMeTt
13-05-2009, 15:09

Western Australia, being the largest state in Aus, has only 3 stores. This pisses of the people up north.

nightgant98c
13-05-2009, 23:41
Just working my way through purchasing all of the phoenix lords. Probably won't use half of them but love the models. Justifying it on the grounds that I might use the apocolyse Phoenix Court formation one day

I found the old box with all the phoenix lords in it for $15. One of the best finds I've made in 40k.

Tourniquet
13-05-2009, 23:53
everything bigger then my head made by forge world

quoted for truth in melbourne alone there are atleast 4 GW stores all with really friendly staff

Adelaide has 3-4 as well.
Sadly not one near me QQ

pfishy98
14-05-2009, 00:32
stormlord/shadowsword:

cuz i dont and never will play IG, so i just cant spend that much on a model (despite being awesome and a half) that will never see battle.

Ogryns.

You said justify, that doesn't mean I didn't buy six...

holy chode....

Angelwing
14-05-2009, 00:40
The forgeworld tyranids I don't yet own. Too many domestic bills to pay first!

Axis
14-05-2009, 00:59
Western Australia, being the largest state in Aus, has only 3 stores. This pisses of the people up north.

Yeah, but it isn't the biggest in population... still i feel your pain!

Laughingmonk
14-05-2009, 01:14
The new Empire greatsword kit will not touch my divine hands (or wallet). I will consider the Battalion, however.

For 40K:

Eldar support platforms. I'd rather get reapers.

self biased
14-05-2009, 01:22
the LE dark angels company commander that was in the armybox. i'll be damned if i'm going to pay 70 dollars for a model that doesn't come with its own mexican houseboy.

Gustovic
16-05-2009, 21:13
Lucius pattern Warhound Titan.
I hope that they will release it in plastic (are good 5 years too)
Obviously Manta.

Sheena Easton
16-05-2009, 21:36
FW Squiggoth

MalusCalibur
16-05-2009, 23:16
Most of the 40K Chaos range, specifically Terminators and Terminator Lord.
Also, any of the Forge World Greater Daemons.

I'm almost exclusively a Fantasy player, as well.

MalusCalibur

SirSnipes
16-05-2009, 23:26
grey knight termis

captainramoz
16-05-2009, 23:37
Nearly everithing that is metal or resin i *********** love plastic cause it's so cheap

captainramoz
17-05-2009, 00:11
Nearly everithing that is metal or resin i *********** love plastic cause it's so cheap

silence
17-05-2009, 01:12
An army of Praetorians, I'd love them but really can't justify them, though I do still have a platoon of them with my Mordians.

To a lesser extent any of the old metal guard regiments, the lines are missing too many models, and an army of them is prohibitively expensive when compared to the newer plastic ranges.

Tyranid Trygon from forgeworld, very nice, but I don't have the army, and can't afford the self indulgence.

Not sure if it counts, but hey the PHAETON PATTERN SUB-COMPLEX GAMMA, I'd love to be able to drop one of these onto my gaming table, but have other things to spend my money on :(

Kaenei
17-05-2009, 01:56
Warhound Titan - A fantastic model that totally captures the spirit of the figure. Every time I see one I can envision it (almost) running on all fours barking at four hundred decibels. ;)

fenrir31
17-05-2009, 04:18

was able to swindle 2 at gamesday for my DKOK army at FW booth.

destroyerlord
18-05-2009, 05:04
I agree with the metal guard regiments, but not just the old ones. Vostroyans have to be my favorite regiment, they are so much more '40k' than cadians, they look seriously grim, with a dose of dark, and have brass armour, which is awesome. But at metal prices and with the number of infantry required for a decent army, they are just impossible. Not even the studio can afford a decent army! Check this months battle report(s) in white dwarf, the guard win the first two battles but the vostroyan army just had so few infantry to even stand a chance.

Da_Killa
21-05-2009, 12:40
fw thunder hawk

TheFloatingHead
21-05-2009, 12:53
was able to swindle 2 at gamesday for my DKOK army at FW booth.
You are a lucky man then! Enjoy those. Maybe if FW releases an awesome mounted Command Squad then I'll consider battling for one of those. Until then, dreams, dreams, dreams!:rolleyes:

EldarBishop
21-05-2009, 13:01
FW bigger stuff, that'd only get used rarely (such as Super Heavies and Titans).

Something like the FW Avatar, I might consider getting if I could dig up the cash for it. It's a DAMN fine model, and it would actually get used in a lot of games.

Karnstein
21-05-2009, 13:04
Eldar super heavy skimmers, flyers and titans...nuff said for me. :p

commissar hark
21-05-2009, 14:11
One of the FW greater demons. just for the fun of painting them.....But for the price

Dr.Zahnfleisch
21-05-2009, 14:18
The new Stegadon, which is an anstonishingly awesome model.
Well, I don't play Lizardmen, so I won't buy it...

Kelanen
21-05-2009, 14:44
Hellions, Scourges, Swooping Hawks - all great models (fantastic in the case of the Hawks), great concepts, lousy costing and rules execution.

Honourable mentions: Talos and Vespid.

krillbur
21-05-2009, 15:23
FW manticore

loveless
21-05-2009, 17:05
Vostroyans.

FW Keeper of Secrets.