PDA

View Full Version : Bladestrom and Autarchs, not what you think.

Killboss
12-05-2009, 11:13
Hello, this isn't what you think, (and this is not my idea, someone else's,) if a Dire avenger squad, including Autarch (with say, deathspinner,) bladestorms, does he HAVE to fire his pistol?

""The Exarch and his squad" would include any attached ICs. The choice would need to be made for the squad as a whole... and if the farseer/autarch/asurment is attached, wouldnt they have to take the same option, as they are part of that squad for all intents and purposes? "

That quote up there is what the other guy thinks. I think the Autarch gets a choice because he has 2+ different ranged weapons, so he should get to choose which he uses. Right?

Torgaddon
12-05-2009, 12:05
The Autarch has only joined the squad and has not been purchased as part of the squad. He is not part of the Exarch's squad. He does not benefit from Bladestorm but he can choose whatever weapon he likes to fire with and won't sacrifice his fire in the following turn. That's how I understand it but I don't have the codex to hand. Some abilities are lost/gained when an IC joins a unit- this one is unaffected I think.

Lord Damocles
12-05-2009, 12:15
looks like a trip to the rules forum is in order...

Codex: Eldar, pg.30:
'The Exarch and his squad MAY choose to add one to the number of shots they each fire with their Shuriken weapons...'
(my emphasis)

Certainly reads to me like the Autarch (although being part of the squad) may choose either to not fire his Shuriken pistol, or if he/she does, not to fire an extra shot.

--------------------

He does not benefit from Bladestorm
Codex: Eldar, pg.21:
'Note that Exarch powers can only ever affect Aspect Warriors and AUTARCHS in the same squad as the Exarch using them'
My emphasis again.

Poseidal
12-05-2009, 12:17
The Autarch has only joined the squad and has not been purchased as part of the squad. He is not part of the Exarch's squad. He does not benefit from Bladestorm but he can choose whatever weapon he likes to fire with and won't sacrifice his fire in the following turn. That's how I understand it but I don't have the codex to hand. Some abilities are lost/gained when an IC joins a unit- this one is unaffected I think.

Aspect Powers rules specifically state Autarchs benefit.

If the Autarch double-fires his pistol with bladestorming Avengers, he can't fire his next turn with any weapon as far as I can tell.

Killboss
12-05-2009, 12:18

Actually it says somewhere in the codex that exarch powers effect Autarches as well (as they used to be aspect warriors.)
Yeah, PG21 of the 'dex.

'The Exarch and his squad MAY choose to add one to the number of shots they each fire with their Shuriken weapons...'
(my emphasis)

Certainly reads to me like the Autarch (although being part of the squad) may choose either to not fire his Shuriken pistol, or if he/she does, not to fire an extra shot.

That's what i said. It is a may option meaning if the squad does, he can still choose to fire whichever weapon he wants to.

Killboss
12-05-2009, 12:19
Aspect Powers rules specifically state Autarchs benefit.

If the Autarch double-fires his pistol with bladestorming Avengers, he can't fire his next turn with any weapon as far as I can tell.

But he doesn't have to use his pistol right?

and yes you're right there, the pistol wont reload its self.

Lord Damocles
12-05-2009, 12:27
That's what i said. It is a may option meaning if the squad does, he can still choose to fire whichever weapon he wants to.
If it said 'must' then it would be clear that the Autarch had to fire his Pistol (or Avenger Catapault if they had one).

Since it doesn't specify that all models MUST fire Shuriken weapons when Bladestorm is used, it seems sensible to take it that they don't have to (meaning of course that they gain no benefit from the Exarch power).

Torgaddon
12-05-2009, 20:44
Ooh. My bad. I should of followed my instinct of knowing I'm wrong before I opened my proverbial mouth. Especially when I didn't have the 'dex to hand!:(

Killboss
13-05-2009, 08:21
Sorry about the double post.

Killboss
15-05-2009, 11:51

(my emphasis)

--------------------

Ooh. My bad. I should of followed my instinct of knowing I'm wrong before I opened my proverbial mouth. Especially when I didn't have the 'dex to hand!:(

You were wrong?

Codex: Eldar, pg.21:
'Note that Exarch powers can only ever affect Aspect Warriors and AUTARCHS in the same squad as the Exarch using them'
My emphasis again.

Oh yeah, sorry, i forgot about the rules forum...

EldarBishop
15-05-2009, 14:19
Actually it says somewhere in the codex that exarch powers effect Autarches as well (as they used to be aspect warriors.)
Yeah, PG21 of the 'dex.

Actually, the Autarch IS an Aspect Warrior (there is NO used to be about it).

I'd say that the Autarch MAY choose to participate or not.