PDA

View Full Version : renegade guard

camz1994
12-05-2009, 13:49
I was thinking of starting a renegade guard army and was wondering if it is possible with the new codx. Has anyone tried this before? Does it work well with the new codex?

Scorcher505
12-05-2009, 14:01
My housemate has an all renegade guard army that he uses as the new guard for simply just a "counts as." His other force is chaos marines so this way when we do apoc no questions are asked. As his main opponent I would say it works well and I am not confused as to what is what

SylverClaw
12-05-2009, 14:28
My brother used, but currently doesn't, use them in the way Scorcher505 says. The only reason he doesn't use them anymore is because he bought a horde of terminators and far too many baneblades... sigh...

camz1994, I honestly think this is the golden age of the renegade guard.

Penal squads in particular seem like perfect cultists/escaped prisoners/crazy thugs... conscripts fit well too, with a commissar as the cult leader or whatever. Primus psyker is a great rogue psyker... battle psyker squads...

Hell yeah, it's good to be bad with the new 'dex. Makes me want to try my hand at a 'stealer cult army.

rossatdi
12-05-2009, 14:42
The sheer number of cheap men you can throw out suits the blind-devotion cultist thing pretty well.

A horde of basic infantry squads merged lead by a cult leader / commissar would be an excellent fluff unit.

===

Alternatively Veterans can make a wonderful team of dedicated warriors.

Bekenel
12-05-2009, 14:52
Straken, as said many times before, makes for an excellent counts-as Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champion/Lieutenant. The FW Traitor Ogryns are sweet models, and the new rules are pretty good for them.

Battle Pyskers + Primaris Pysker are obvious choices, as are Veterans and Penal Legion. It's basically avoid Platoons unless you're going for a recently turned force.

Scorcher505
12-05-2009, 15:24
Well my housemate uses all the forge world renegades and uses just the plain old IG codex and lists, nothing special. He just likes the models

Fred_Scuttle
12-05-2009, 15:31
I have $$$ plans for Traitor Guard that is making my wallet cry. The new IG Dex is a real nice book in my opinion.

I frequently play my CSM 1 v 2 against a SM and Tau partnership. ( I have about 3x the points either of them do )

Even when I go 2 FOC so I have the same # of unit choices they do I frequently have trouble against the MEQ toughness of the SM + the ~uber shooting and mobility of the Tau.

I'm looking forward to fielding a CSM + Traitor Guard against them. It's an added bonus that it will be quite fluffy with a bunch of CSM 'overlords' pushing the unwashed masses of Traitor units forward into the mill. Some Traitor LemR's and Valks wont be bad either.

And no - these are not APOC games so no Oblits in the Valks......

Fred

Vepr
12-05-2009, 15:32
Doing a renegade slash traitor IG army has really been tempting me to get into guard because I think the conversions etc would be a blast and you could do some fun things with scout marines and mixing Cadian and Catachan bits and really make and interesting and original looking IG army.

Must finish nids and marines... first... must... resist starting third army... when I have... two unfinished armies.... arrrggghhhh!!!! :p

Sceleris
12-05-2009, 16:01
Yeah it works.

Zombie/marauder/catachan/skaven bits make up a mutant conscript mob

Regular cadians with the aquilas remove (right pain doing it though!) as regualr platoon guys

FW renegades as veterans (or alternatively penal legion)

Throw a few of the special characters in and away you go.

jubilex
12-05-2009, 16:17
It certainly does work.

I have been running an latd/stealer cult for a bit over a year using (the old) IG dex.
With a few additions from the hunter dexes (eversor = broodlord, arc's = purestrains, inquisitor = magus etc).

I debuted the latd version (zombie cultists x 40 were a literal scream, they died (again) en masse, but ate so much tau firepower, it wasn't even funny), tooled up commanders as demagogues etc...

Next step for me is commissar lord and possibly some daemon hosts/or/grey knights.

It would be nice to have some kind of daemon equivalent, but not so bad.

Go for it!!!

Arbedark
12-05-2009, 16:45
It certainly does work.

I have been running an latd/stealer cult for a bit over a year using (the old) IG dex.
With a few additions from the hunter dexes (eversor = broodlord, arc's = purestrains, inquisitor = magus etc).

I debuted the latd version (zombie cultists x 40 were a literal scream, they died (again) en masse, but ate so much tau firepower, it wasn't even funny), tooled up commanders as demagogues etc...

Next step for me is commissar lord and possibly some daemon hosts/or/grey knights.

It would be nice to have some kind of daemon equivalent, but not so bad.

Go for it!!!

Daemonhosts not good enough?

Earthbeard
12-05-2009, 20:24
I was thinking of starting a renegade guard army and was wondering if it is possible with the new codx. Has anyone tried this before? Does it work well with the new codex?

Question you have to ask yourself - is why wouldn't it work?

Answered.

totgeboren
12-05-2009, 21:02
Im doing a traitor guard force, (log here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191618)) and it works great. Only thing that might be a problem is mutants, if you want those.

I have only played them once with the new codex, but that was a solid win, so... well, so far so good. :)

kendaop
12-05-2009, 21:35
Only thing that might be a problem is mutants, if you want those.

Ogryns. Problem solved.

totgeboren
12-05-2009, 21:47
Ogryns. Problem solved.

For me its a big difference between the horde of rabble-mutants and the huge Big Mutants. 40 pts per mutant does not translate well into a horde. :/

Clang
13-05-2009, 04:08
the new IG dex looks even more suitable than the old for traitor/renegade Guard - some new units seem particularly appropriate to be turned to the dark side.

And it will look fabulous, a nice change from all the lookalike IG armies everyone else will be building

Lord of Worms
13-05-2009, 04:47
For me its a big difference between the horde of rabble-mutants and the huge Big Mutants. 40 pts per mutant does not translate well into a horde. :/

You could use conscripts for the sucky-meatbag mutants, and penal-legion for beastmen and other serious dudes.

Ddraiglais
13-05-2009, 16:17
http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=18

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=54

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/hd_1_window.htm

kor anon
13-05-2009, 16:33
Renegade guard are so cool when it comes to converting anf using other models.

I collect them and i use quite a few nice toys for example

Fully converted cadians (with random gribbly bits and chaos stuff) These are my basic grunts which are being replaced with the FW renegade militia stuff slowly but surely.

I use converted vampire counts ghouls as my conscripts (with a renegade enforcer as my lord comissar and a converted flagellant as a preist - with huge evisorator ;) )

I also use flagellents for my psker battle squad. I love the flagellant models so much I was thinking of building a Truescale heresy Wordbearers army with flagellents as their crazed followers.

I used renegade guard with the old codex and the new one and yes renegade guard can be represented with the rules. I hope you join the dark side, good times will follow