PDA

View Full Version : Second army and player advice

TheWatcherUK
12-05-2009, 14:55
Hey all yea i know sorry about it being another pick my army but this one is slightly different , i currently play lizardmen and want a second army tho i need some advice from players who A) know there army very well and B) tournament players

ok brief intro quit warhammer around the time of the ogre kingdoms being released and have started playing again for the past 3 months or so currently playing lizardmen , this time around i want to get into the hobby more then i originally did to the point where i am capable of going to tournaments so ....

i want a list of armies pro's and cons with indepth description , also if the army has many different viable builds not interested in can only gun line or rush want somthing i can mix up every once in a while

and information on how well the army can do at tournament level and casual play , ie i want something that can win at comps and myself and my friends can enjoy playing and playing against in casual play

sorry its such a long thread any help from you guys and gals would be fantastic cheers

Martin

ICLRK625
12-05-2009, 15:49
The best I can tell you is to look around (specifically in the army list sub-forum, battle reports also). It's a bit much to ask us to lay out all of the details of every army, and how each one plays with every possible variable, especially when all of this information is already on the site.

Look around a bit, and if you have an specific questions, feel free to ask.

TheWatcherUK
12-05-2009, 19:53
hey yea on second glance i guess my post is a little long winded ok , heres a question then i want a new army help me pick it

DE, VC, Skaven which one to play for tournament and casual

how well does VC vs DE games go ie win ratios average ??

ICLRK625
12-05-2009, 21:05
It's generally accepted (take that on a whim, as there is no be-all-end-all) that the "tier" order goes Daemons>Vampire Counts>Dark Elves, so if you're looking to be purely competitive (something hardly anybody would suggest), then Vampire Counts out of the three you listed.

Don't go by competitive gaming though, no matter what you might think, it's unlikely you'll be winning tournaments right away (especially when you pick an army JUST to be competitive). Go with what you want, play until you're at a level you're satisfied with, and enter tournaments to get a feel for them. If at that point you feel you can't compete, look into some changes.

Condottiere
12-05-2009, 21:23
Well, the Skaven book should be coming up for a renewal; there might be things inside that they you may find attractive.

PeG
12-05-2009, 21:32
If you want an army that can do everything you should look at empire. They can bring all infantry, all mounted, gunline, magic or a combination of all. However they are not that high on the powerscale for the moment.

Malarowski
13-05-2009, 01:41
If you want an army that can do everything you should look at empire. They can bring all infantry, all mounted, gunline, magic or a combination of all. However they are not that high on the powerscale for the moment.

TK would be an option there as well and once you get good with them they are competitive, too.

BEEGfrog
13-05-2009, 12:56
The Lizardmen army you already have meets a lot of your points, you might want to look at the different builds of that and get your first experiences of tournies before deciding which other army to go for.

You will be spending a lot of time and money on your army it is important that you pick an army that you like and that likes your playing style or it can be very frustrating.

The Red Scourge
13-05-2009, 14:38
Just get an army you like the looks of and learn to use it well :)

O&G'sRule
13-05-2009, 15:54
DE's probably have the most variation out of those 3 in terms of how you can build an army, though if you want to play tournaments Daemons and VC's are the way to go. Having said that the looming skaven update is one that fills me with dread as you just get the feeling they will return to their former place of super cheese. They too though have good variation. The empire has the most variation of all, though they do lack a current tournament winning build like the daemons an VC's, though they are a very good army out of that cheese infested environment. All the armies are fun to play against friends, just so long as you avoid the tournament lists, don't do a dwarf gunline (especially with thorek) as it is the dullest game possible

Bingo the Fun Monkey
13-05-2009, 16:57
You should take a Crone Hellebron army with lots of witch elves and a cauldron and no black guard, sorceresses, etc.

TheWatcherUK
14-05-2009, 18:55
hey guys thanks for all the advice and quick replys will keep all that in mind yea im not into cheesey lists or boring gun lines , cheers all

Martin