PDA

View Full Version : Custom Chapter: Angels of Wrath

Urath
12-05-2009, 18:53
Btw, I have updated :)

Hey all, firstly I am sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum but it is basically backstory for a chapter I've been working on for some time (the origin of which will more than likely be rendered impossible with detailed accounts of the attack on Prospero, but oh well).

So here goes:
Name: Angels of Wrath
Founding Chapter: Classified
Founding: Third founding
Chapter Master: Urath (deceased, ruled by a council of Captains since)
Homeworld: Unknown
Chapter Monastery: The Wrathful, Battle Barge.
Main Colours: Golden Armour, shining gold aquila with crimson squad markings.
Speciality: Librarians and pin-point attacks
Battle Cry: "For the fallen and the Emperor!"
Estimated Strength: - 1000

Chapter Organisation: 10 Companies
First Company: Veterans of the chapter, eclusivly deployed in suits of Terminator Armour.
Second Company: Veteran Company. Elite Warriors of the chapter skilled in all aspects.
Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth Companies: Battle Companies.
Seventh Company: Reserve Company - Tactical Marines.
Eighth Company: Reserve Company - Assault Marines.
Ninth Company: Reserve Company - Devestator Marines.
Tenth Company: Scout Company

The actual disposition of the Angels of Wrath is throughout the galaxy. Angels are taught independence and are trained to operate without attachment to the Chapter or without a Battle Captain to lead them for a period of several years. However, due to the sperse nature of the Chapter, individual companies have set up recruiting grounds and cults loyal to the Imperium and the Angels of Wrath as a means of intelligence and to bolster their ranks. The actual number of Angels or Wrath, is therefore suspect. Before the devestation of the Chapter during Abaddon's assault of Agripinaa, the Chapter operated in Companies of one hundred and fifty marines, except the First Company which fielded one hundred and the Second Company, which fielded two hundred. Therefore, the total could assumed to have been one thousand and five hundred Angels of Wrath.

The Chapter was formed from the survivors of the massacre on Prospero just prior to the Horus Heresy. The Captain of the 2nd Company of the Thousand Sons, Urath originally a Terran, was seperated from the main battle holding a small island off the coast of the mainland against a strike force of the Space Wolves, the island was unusual but for a vast tower shielded by psychic power that acted as a booster for Magnus' power. Refusing to fall back into the warp with the other members of his legion, Urath and the few surviving squads of the second company surrended to the Space Wolves to be taken to Terra, they would have been killed if not for Custodian Valdor staying Russ' hand.

Here it was Urath and thrity others defended their actions and fought for their case, in the end it was decided that they should be attached to the Space Wolves legion under the ever watchful eye of Leman Russ to prove their loyalty to the Imperium. After fighting through countless battles and tossed into many meat grinders by Leman Russ, they eventually grew to become respected, after throwing off the insignia of the Thousand Sons legion. Though this was over a short span of time, the former Sons lost more than half of their number with only Ten marines and Urath remaining.

Then Horus betrayed the Emperor.

Scrutiny was once again placed over Urath and his marines and they were placed in holding cells while the Space Wolves sped toward Terra. Arriving too late and with the battle over, Urath and his companions were locked away in dungeons for many years before they were set free. Emerging with an almost wild appearence, they were set before the fledging Inquisiton to be judged for impurity. To the suprise of all present, the marines were found to be pure. Even the geneseed, while granted enhanced psychic power, was not tained by any impurity. Thus it was that Urath was granted a place in the future Imperium, albeit under scrutiny by the Inquisition. Of the eleven warriors, all were psychic. They were sent on various missions with the warriors of the Grey Knights to hunt out taint in the barely surviving Imperium and, after a period of years, Urath was given command of a chapter. Named the Angels of Wrath, with each surviving warrior command of a company. The chapter would be forever watchful of the traitor members of the Thousand Sons and would often be called in to collaborate with the Grey Knights and fight against traitor marines.

Thus the Angels of Wrath were born.

Urath
12-05-2009, 20:29
While the use of Magnus' geneseed was officially declined in use by the Inquisition, at least later on, Urath used the oppurtunity to press the need for the protection of Imperial Space around the Eye of Terror, so was granted a stock of gene seed, enough for a full chapter. From here onwards the chapter slowly grew and used several recruiting grounds formerly used by the Thousand Sons.

It took over one hundred years for the chapter to reach the strength set by the Codex: Astartes. But in that time, small squads were sent to troubled zones in assassination missions and the Chapter became skilled in guerilla warfare as a result.

In honour to Urath, for leading the Angels through such a devestating time, the Captain of the 2nd Company of the new chapter ordered that the armour of his marines be painted a deep red, in remembrance of the blood shed by their brothers in the 2nd company. While the 1st company's armour was to be painted black to mirror the shameful origins.

Each Captain of the chapter would thereafter be a powerful psyker. In the beginning, A squad of Grey Knights under a Brother-Captain was dispatched to guard for taint. Finding none after one hundred years and after fighting with the chapter, the Grey Knights honoured Urath with a suit of Terminator armour usually reserved for members of the Grey Knight first company. As a result, further suits were fashioned in a design similar to the Grey Knights Aegis suits, but without the psychic shielding properties unique to original Aegis suits. Thus the first company could be seen wearing armour fashioned in a similar style, in honour of the Grey Knights.

Even after the heresy, the chapter maintained practices of the Legion and of that era. They were enlightened as to the nature of the Warp and the training of librarians was vigorous under Urath, who seemed to take on more numerous and dangerous individuals than other chapters. In a manner similar to the Dark Angels, Urath briefed only his first captain and companny commanders on the origins of the Legion. Learning was encouraged and the Chapter became well versed in many arts not performed by the other chapters.

Urath lived for another four thousand years until his apparent death at the hands of Abaddon the Despoiler during the sixth Black Crusade.

In this unnaturally long time for a Space Marine to live, only the first several hundred years were spent leading the Chapter's forces from the front. Urath could be found leading sector defences or alternatively small elite strike forces to break an enemy's back.

As the chapter grew in strength, more and more the First captain was called to command the chapter in war as Urath became reclusive and vanished from the "Wrathful's" halls for weeks on end. It is not known where he went, but it is known he compiled great tomes of knowledge about the Warp and the history of the Imperium as he had seen it, and of the chapter itself. Falling further away from the chapter, the younger initiates began to doubt if he was even real.

He was revered as a heroic figure by the chapter, but the first captain had his doubts about Urath. He secretley suspected him of corruption.

Until one day Urath returned, his prescence could be felt by every captain onboard the Wrathful: their saviour was back. It seemed stronger than ever, he seemed to possess a dancing flame within his eyes and immediatley ordered the whole chapter to depart for the Agripinna System: the principle arms supplier to the Cadian Gate.

At first suspicious, after seeing Urath in his restored glory the first captain eagerly awaited further orders. None came for over two months, in that time Urath had dispatched warriors to all of the principle planets in the sub sector and had personally martialled a strong blockade around Agripinaa. After seven days of waiting, the first attack came.

A large fleet of corrupted Astartes and Navy vessels disengaged from warp space. If that wasn't enough, the warp itself became a turbulent place and travel out of the sector was extremely dangerous; they were trapped here and alone.

In a battle that lasted for many weeks, with boarding actions by the entire first company and Urath himself. Many Imperial and Chaos ships were devestated and the entire Chapter was crippled in this furious war. Above the centre world of Agripinaa the final battle took place. A vast warship Urath recognised as Abaddon's flagship fell into lower orbit and the Wrathful made full speed. With titanic explosions raging throughout the atmosphere of Agripinaa, this battle seemed somewhat personal.

The remaining warriors of the first company boarded the ship in a hunt for Abaddon. Several hours later, the captain of the second company recieved a final communication from Urath. "Pull the ship back, my son. For you cannot prevail here. In time, our victory here will be remembered and it falls to you." Not quite understanding his beloved commander's words, the captain did as he was told.

Several hours later and the damaged Chaos fleet, including Abaddon's flagship pulled out of orbit and headed towards the Eye. The Wrathful and several navy vessels gave chase, but it was unesecary. The war had been won and, although many worlds were devestated, the primary forges were safe.

The Imperial defenders were severely crippled and would be under strength for many years. The Angels of Wrath chapter was almost destroyed, but for the Second and Third companies.

From here and until the present time, Urath's chambers aboard the Wrathful have remained closed and his works unread by the ancient chapter. With many honours and victories, the past and origins of the Angels of Wrath eventually faded into the dark.

Save for the tomb of Urath himself. Locked within his quarters, the Chapter Council forbode the opening of this hallowed room.

Gradually, the chapter began maintaining it's customs through tradition, not the original value of growing and learning that Urath taught his initiates. Thus, the chapter entered a state of being parallel to that of the Imperium: stagnation.

Sending troops to major conflict zones across the galaxy, a strike cruiser "The Blade of Wrath" forever in orbit above the Agrinpinaa and spies comissioned from failed recruits stationed throughout Imperial Worlds to report disturbances or suspicious events that may merit taint or involvement of Traitor Legions.

With the chapter spread throughout the stars, guerilla warfare guided by psychic divination and subterfuge became hallmarks of the Angels of Wrath. With precious few suits of Terminator Armour available, the Angels were forced to rely further on the marks of armour the chapter possessed. Primarily Corvus and Aquilla suits.

With forces deployed throughout the conflicts on Armageddon, Cadia and in combat of the Black Crusades, the Eastern Fringe and around the Malestrom the fighting strength of the chapter is rarely whole. However, one such event was during the thirteenth Black Crusade. The council ordered the immediate withdrawel of all chapter forces throughout the Imperium, to regroup at Cadia with the Blood Angels.

During a close run battle, Captain Joeseph Malek of the First Company (a descendant of the original Captain) and the Captain of the Blood Angels Third Company, Aurelius, launched a counter charge against traitor lines on the killing fields of Cadia with Imperial Guard support. A vast mushroom cloud engulfed the killing field and few Marines survived and visiblity was incredibly low in the dust cloud. Imperial Command called for an immediate retreat, but Malek could feel his prey was close; with them in the maelstrom of dust and radiation.

While the Blood Angels retreated, Malek and the Preatorian advanced through the duststorm as hulking Terminator's could be seen just beyond the blackened tree stumps.

Malek charged ahead of his warriors with furious anger, but was knocked to his feet by an incredible psychic blast. Out from the formation of Chaos Terminators stepped one, slightly taller and with embellished armour. Dread filled Malek as the warrior removed his helm and a soft, honeyed voice spoke the words "You need not bow before me, my son."

Thus it was revealed that Urath did the dirty on his brothers, or did he? dum dum dum.

Well, thats just some initial backstory with no real detail. Just rough.

Lord_Crull
12-05-2009, 21:04
Each Captain of the chapter would thereafter be a powerful psyker. In the beginning, A squad of Grey Knights under a Brother-Captain was dispatched to guard for taint. Finding none after one hundred years and after fighting with the chapter, the Grey Knights honoured Urath with a suit of Terminator armour usually reserved for members of the Grey Knight first company. This suit was reverse engineered by Urath's techmarines, having instilled in them no fear of machine spirits and the entire first company could be seen wearing armour fashioned in a similar style, in honour of the Grey Knights.

The thing is, Machine spirits really DO exist in 40k in one form or another, and you cannot simply reverse engineer suits like that Mankind has lost the knowledge to do that and it's hard enought to get the resources to make new suits of terminatior armor.

Urath lived for another four thousand years until his apparent death at the hands of Abaddon the Despoiler during the sixth Black Crusade.

Marines do not live that long.

The Emperor was not worshipped as a god, rather as a father and just that - an Emperor and praised for his sacrifice.

All space marines worship the Emperor as a man.

Artisans and Techmarines did not revere technology as highly as other Chapters and delved into reverse engineering armour marks and weaponery. .

40k technology does not work like that for reasons stated above.

Legion. Learning was encouraged and the Chapter became well versed in many arts not performed by the other chapters.

Like what?

And this is not taking into accout the traitor geneseed, The Imperium would never openly use traitor geneseed, especially after the Heresy, and the Space wolves woul dnot be in a merciful mood.

Mannimarco
12-05-2009, 23:47
so if traitor geneseed (possibly) is your thing you may want to keep it sectret ^cough blood ravens cough^

there are stocks of traitor geneseed kept somwhere IIRC and its not outside the realms of possibility that an inquisitor or the biology version of the mech (forget their name) would try to use it, mix it with the stable loyalist geneseed to purge the imperfections (or at least try to)

MagrukWikkid
13-05-2009, 13:10
The thing is, Machine spirits really DO exist in 40k in one form or another, and you cannot simply reverse engineer suits like that Mankind has lost the knowledge to do that and it's hard enought to get the resources to make new suits of terminatior armor.

Marines do not live that long.

All space marines worship the Emperor as a man.

40k technology does not work like that for reasons stated above.

Like what?

And this is not taking into accout the traitor geneseed, The Imperium would never openly use traitor geneseed, especially after the Heresy, and the Space wolves woul dnot be in a merciful mood.

I think you're being overly negative Crull.

Marines are stated to be 'functionally immortal' in a number of the Horus Heresy novels. It's likely that he'd get himself killed before the 4,000 years stated, but hey! He's dead now, so there's no need to sweat it.

The Tau don't have to worry about machine spirits. While reverse engineering in the Imperium is heretical, it's not impossible. This could be polished up to be something the chapter keeps to itself (along with their origens & gene seed).

Also, I presume that this is a way for the OP to use Grey Knight terminator models in his vanilla SM army. And why not? - they look cool.

I'm sure the specific doctrines learnt be the chapter will follow.

@ OP - I like it in general, but I would agree that they need to be a bit more discreet in that they use Magnus' legion's geneseed, and also their...discrepancies with the accepted norm on tech.

pookie
13-05-2009, 13:42
@ OP - I like it in general, but I would agree that they need to be a bit more discreet in that they use Magnus' legion's geneseed, and also their...discrepancies with the accepted norm on tech.

this is kind of my thoughts.

the only thing is, there is very little ( read none ) chance that Traitor seed would be given out during the 2nd founding, the Marines that are from the 2nd founding are from the Split from Legions into chapters they would have used there own stocks to replenish loses or keep the force at 1000 before the actual founding happened ( the IF actually purged the chapter through Dorns actions before it was split into 3 ).

Only from the 3rd Founding onwards would GS be used, and even then its highly unlikly that Traitor seed would be used.

but hey, its your fluff, just doesnt sit too easy with a old hand like me.

Lord_Crull
13-05-2009, 15:00
I think you're being overly negative Crull.

Marines are stated to be 'functionally immortal' in a number of the Horus Heresy novels. It's likely that he'd get himself killed before the 4,000 years stated, but hey! He's dead now, so there's no need to sweat it.

Casius is stated to be old at 400 years and Grimmnar is considered very old at 800. It is also implied that Qruze if failing in the mind at his advanced age in the novels. It is also said that no marine would ever find out if that was true since they all where going to be killed on the battlefield sonner of later.

The Tau don't have to worry about machine spirits. While reverse engineering in the Imperium is heretical, it's not impossible. This could be polished up to be something the chapter keeps to itself (along with their origens & gene seed).

The problem is not religion it is understanding the complex technology, fluff states that it is not due to religon that the Mechanicus are having a hard time producing terminatior armor, it's that the method is complex and requires extremely rare materials.

The understanding of most human technolgies have bene lost by now. The Tau operate by an entirely diffrent set of principals.

Urath
13-05-2009, 15:16
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, as stated the "reverse enginerring" was just a lame excuse to use Grey Knight models in the army :(

For some reason, I changed a lot of stuff and made it more far fetched last night when I wrote this, I had been playing F3 and got carried away with some of the crap that game gives you.

I understand most of the stuff needs a re-write, but it's just a rough and unfinished version so I could just get some feedback.

I have taken out the exact geneseed used, I know this is "unrealistic" to create a chapter from, virtually nothing, but as I improve the general backstory a lot will be changed (Y)

Btw, @Crull: I did say that it was Valdor who cconvinced Russ to at least take them to Terra. Also, as I've updated,the reason for Urath's long live has been somewhat revealed; he was not in combat for the full time period. In fact, even his own chapter did not know where he was most of the time. Also, not all chapters worship the Emperor as a man. For example, the Blood Angels in James Swallows' novels?

@Pookie: I've been a 40K man myself for about six years, I blame Fallout 3 gaming last night that threw me off balance haha

Also, any general ideas would be appreciated :)

pookie
13-05-2009, 16:12
@Pookie: I've been a 40K man myself for about six years, I blame Fallout 3 gaming last night that threw me off balance haha

Also, any general ideas would be appreciated :)

its ok, just remeber its only 'our opinions'.

one of the things i find that never sits well is people who say they have a homebrew chapter thats 2nd founding, whats wrong with the other 20 odd foundings? why does it have to be the only one that we can say more about than others?.

im not, nit picking at you as such, but imo, youd be better saying they were 12th or 19th ( or xxth) than 2nd but thats only imo, your background is much better than most, and im yet to post my own for fear of recriminations :D.

Urath
13-05-2009, 16:16
Opinions are important, as long as they're helpful ;)

Well, with the kind of background I wanted to develop for them (steeped in mystery to the outside, even members of the chapter suspected their pre-heresy hero to be corrupt etc, etc) it just seemed the best time really.

But, after further reading about when marine foundings actually happened, I have decided (while not long after =/) that the Angels of Wrath shall be of the third founding. That at least gives me some freedom to develop Urath's actions with the Grey Knights etc

Cheers for the helpful input pookie :)

Btw, just do it man I'm sure you're chapter is bound to be good.

Urath
13-05-2009, 19:28
Ok, that's it for now. I have a lot of stuff in the works and there'll likely be re-writes as I found my old notebook with my original stuff in, most of which sounds a lot better.

If anyone cares :D

Lord_Crull
13-05-2009, 20:32
Btw, @Crull: I did say that it was Valdor who cconvinced Russ to at least take them to Terra. Also, as I've updated,the reason for Urath's long live has been somewhat revealed; he was not in combat for the full time period. In fact, even his own chapter did not know where he was most of the time. Also, not all chapters worship the Emperor as a man. For example, the Blood Angels in James Swallows' novels?

James Swallow's blood Angel novels are not very wel written, depicting Chaos marines as cannon fodder to newbie marines and including legions of easily killed obilterators is another offense, he has improved since then I would would not take the novels seriously.

Anyway a space marine can still worship the Emperor, not all worship is done to gods, ancestor worship, for example, which is what the marines do.

Urath
14-05-2009, 16:24
I'm not debating whether or not they're good books, but it's the only *clear* example I could think of where Space Marines explicitly pray to the Emperor.

I think the old moniker "Warrior Monks" does that?

Leftenant Gashrog
14-05-2009, 20:50
I believe theres already a semi-canon chapter named the Angels of Wrath, they were a Dark Angels successor destroyed by Gogi Vandire during the Age of Apostasy. (semi-canon as it appeared in Citadel Journal)

Urath
15-05-2009, 15:46
NOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The process of renaming begins

Bergioyn
15-05-2009, 16:43
How about Wratful Angels?
It would maintain the style of the earlier name.