PDA

View Full Version : Glueing vs magnatizing

tacoo
12-05-2009, 20:28
wich do you prefer, and wich armys do you think are best with being glued or magantized?

SPYDER68
12-05-2009, 20:32
It depends.. Sponsons on a tank ? things like that.. Magnetizing is the best way to go.

If its a points option.. and you might want different varients.. Magnetize it.

EldarBishop
12-05-2009, 20:35
Magnets are a far better option for tank weapons... wish I did that for mine, sadly most of mine are glued.

Other then that, I'd probably just build another one (ie. I have two DE Archon models, both conversions. One has THelm/Punisher, and the other has Agonizer/Pistol).

Raibaru
12-05-2009, 20:38
I prefer gluing. Less hassle when I unpack. Unlikely I'll lose an arm or leave something behind when cleaning up. And not to mention the magnets have a habit of slipping when the dice hit the table. God forbid dice actually hit the minis. It's like a grenade went off with limbs, shoulders, and weapons flying all over the place!

But lets face it, we can't afford 30 terminators for the 5-7 we bring per game just to cover all the WYSIWYG options. Even if most of us use Terminators the same way every game regardless of what happens.

Same with Dreadnaughts. Awesome model and I'd buy 5 of them if I could, but when I use maybe 1 a game and its load out changes from game to game, it's cost prohibitive.

BaloOrk
12-05-2009, 20:45
On vehicles its magnets all the way, and on expensive models with lots of option, and maybe on the odd character...
Anything else is just gluetastic, including my fingers :D

Lord Cook
12-05-2009, 20:45
I tend to just buy both options of something and glue them. My guardsmen's battle cry is officially "For The Economy!".

AfroCelt
12-05-2009, 20:59
things like vehicles, Tau suits, etc are prime fodder for a magnet.

Everything else is glue time...I own a good mix of Nobs wth PKs and Big Choppas...probably 15-20 in all. Assault on Black Reach makes things like arm swaps simple :P .

Hicks
12-05-2009, 21:01
Sergeants, tyranid monstruous creatures, vehicles, characters, mine all get magnets. I try to respect WYSIWYG as much as I can and magnets are excellent for that. I find it really annoying when my opponent's flamer is a meltagun of a predator destructor turns out to be an annihilator, so I try not to do this kind of stuff myself.

xerxeshavelock
12-05-2009, 21:04
Magnets are well handy for Crisis Suits, Guard Heavy Weapon Tripods and optional equipment on tanks.

Zaonite
12-05-2009, 21:04
My eldar army has all the available weapon options with magnets.

But as time has gone on, I now only tend to put magnets on tanks and other models so it makes it easier to transport them ie they don't break.

Eldoriath
12-05-2009, 21:27
I like magnets and other non-glueing solutions. Mostly i do so i can swap weapons, but sometimes so that i can make transporting easier. My bassie has the canon removeable which is very handy for transport. But to be honest i mostly pin, and use magnets as complement sometimes.

Here are some pictures of my leman russ punisher/battle canon and how i make them easily swappable.

holmcross
12-05-2009, 21:31
They are used for two totally different things, depending on what you are shooting for.

Its like asking the question: "Whats better to use while cooking? A knife or a whisk?"

Bookwrak
12-05-2009, 21:37
Drat, I was just about to say the exact same thing, except that I was going to use, 'Knife or a spoon?' :p

As is, the poll is useless.

exsulis
12-05-2009, 21:39
It really depends on the model. Normal troops: no, I wouldn't put magnets on them but I have seen other people do it. I'm a magnet fiend with vehicles. So many options, and carrying around 8 different tanks gets just a little rediculous.

xerxeshavelock
12-05-2009, 21:39
Glue is for wimps!

Atomic Rooster
12-05-2009, 21:53
I've magnetized stuff for years, but it can be more work than it's worth in many cases.

I magnetize tank weapons, but for the most part I'm going to start just gluing it. I think I'd end up swapping glued weapons about once per version of the game, for example, in 4th ed, I'd always field my SM Commander with power weapon, storm shield, and and 5th with a relic blade. By using minimal glue inside the shoulder pads, I could have just swaped arms & re-glue the arms and prevcious shoulder pads without any noticeable damage to the model.

victorpofa
13-05-2009, 00:58
I magnetized a few things in my first army (Space Wolves), but it is generally more bother than it's worth. Especially with metal models and hybrids. Many of my Wolves are the old metals I scrounged off E-bay.

It is too much of a pain, and I don't change loadouts often anyway.

eek107
13-05-2009, 01:09
It varies. I magnetized my Marine Sergeants because I was putting them together when the new codex was on the horizon, so I wasn't sure if any options would be cut. I don't magnetize special/heavy weapon troops because I have enough spare to make the options, and I like to try them all out anyway from time to time. Tanks... well, it depends. I have enough Russes in my IG not to bother, but my Predator got magnets because I don't want to buy any more in the foreseeable future.

With my 'nids it's just the MCs that have magnets for now, although I might pull apart the Warriors to magnetize them as well. It depends how the bank balance is looking when I turn my attention back to them.

Generally, I've found that I magnetize the loadout I intend to use, then don't bother to finish off the rest of the available options until later, if ever. Still, it's nice to know I have the option to do so if I want to try something new.

Vepr
13-05-2009, 01:49
I magnetized all my MC's but I only did it with a few of my warriors. Nids really benefit from magnetizing.

stevester79
13-05-2009, 04:50
I think mag is the way to go if you got the patience. Since the new guard codex came out too many times i wish i could change my leman russ sponsons or take em off completly. But im a disorganized mess and I'll loose parts if I do this. But I vote mag is the way to go.

Putty
13-05-2009, 04:58
magnetising your army is the best way not to get screwed by GW everytime they release a new book.

Souleater
13-05-2009, 08:30
Depends on what I'm doing.

For big stuff like Fexes and HTs I have started magnetizing stuff. I have to buy and paint fewer models this way.

Also handy for Tyrant Wings - packing my Flyrant would be a nightmare otherwise.

Also useful for vehicles, of course.

I wouldn't bother with smaller figures. If I need to swap out weapons I'd just paint a spare guy.

dblaz3r
13-05-2009, 10:14
I would say both serve their purpose. I prefer magnets for vehicles, dreads, MC's etc. never know when I might want to drop that PMSB or switch out my razorbacks. Troops I just glue, much too fiddly for me to be dealing with plus I have no problem buying extra bodies when and where I need them. No such thing as too many bodies. :D

Sir_Turalyon
13-05-2009, 10:19
Depends of what I'm doing, it's choice between character(fulness) and customization. Generic models with few good options availiable from the box and mutualy exclusive on one model, like vehicles or a chaplain (with only choice being between pistol or powerfist)? Magnetize. Characters with not mutualy exclusive options? Model them all and pay points only for some of them. Characters converted for dramatic pose including their weapons, or individualized squad following a theme? Glue. On squad level I prefere to swap leaders / options between squads then magnetize every mini to have all options.

Deus
13-05-2009, 10:46
I play marines, the only non-vehicle things I magnetize are flamers/meltas/plasmas because I interchange them alot, everything else is glue.

The Clairvoyant
13-05-2009, 12:27
Glue for everything.
I choose an option and stick with it.
If i decide i actually want to use a different weapon, i'll get a new model.

Somebody said "glue is for wimps". Glue is for decisive people. Magnets are for those who have 20 different boxes of cereal in the cupboard.

Captain Micha
13-05-2009, 13:08
Magnets are the best for when you need to change weapons and the like.

Bellygrub
13-05-2009, 13:13
I've begun magnetizing everything I put on flying stands. Now instead of the little stand nub breaking off when I knock one of my AI planes the magnet just causes the plane to turn around.

Next we test to see if they're powerful enough for ork gothic ships :eek:

SharpSilver
13-05-2009, 15:09
Magnet - Vehicles and Large units with lots of weapon choices.

Glue - Everything else.