PDA

View Full Version : Good idea / bad idea RBG Modular barbarians

TreManor
12-05-2009, 21:28
OK so here are two of the three modular footmen I have been talking about. they still require a little bit of clean up but they are pretty much done. These are the rank and file for the HelsVakt faction ( that would be the new name for the Yrrskaggi ) of my fantasy stuff. The joins for the waist and torso are post and cup so they will literally hold together without putty to make them stick. All 5 components from each figure readily interchange and can also be posed to a degree for added indiviuality.

The weapons will plug into a socket at the top of the hand, and there will be three variants initially; Mace, Sword, and Axe.

Also there are 5 head / helm variants.

The question posed to you is this..........

Is this modular design a good idea or a bad idea?

http://http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/TreManor/?action=view&current=IMG_1899.jpg

pjschard
12-05-2009, 21:41
Umm I can't see the pic...

Grimstonefire
12-05-2009, 21:46
I think this becomes news when it's actually for sale. Before then it is just discussion, and not really a rumour either. You would get just as much feedback in the fantasy discussion section.

mweaver
12-05-2009, 22:13
The link is not working for me, Tre.

In general, I love multi-pose/modular figures.

In my experience, lots of head variants really help. Between weapon swaps, different torso/leg match-ups and different positioning of torso and leg combinations, you can obtain quite a large variety of poses with a few pieces. However, reusing the same head too often becomes easy to spot fairly quickly.

Speaking as a man who has more than three score plastic Empire militamen assembled and painted...

TreManor
12-05-2009, 22:34
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/TreManor/?action=view&current=IMG_1899.jpg

OK does this one work???

Edit by Brimstone to add pictures.

Brimstone
12-05-2009, 22:51
Hi Tre

I've added your pictures as direct files to the thread :)

I like them very Conan (as requested on Frothers some time ago IIRC)

As Grimstonefire suggested this isn't really a suitable place for this thread so I'm going to move it to fantasy general discussion.

loveless
12-05-2009, 22:53
Those look pretty solid - the waist joint reminds me of Privateer's Thagrosh the Prophet model - now that thing holds together!

My main concern would be the weapons - typically, little fiddly bits are a pain to put on (Ask anyone who's assembled Privateer Cataphracts), so I'm wondering if maybe an arm/hand swap wouldn't be easier than a weapon swap? However, the work you've done is so appealing already that I'm loathe to suggest changing it, lest some detail be obscured somehow.

Anyway, I like the look *nods*

Shamfrit
12-05-2009, 22:54
If these go on sale I might just buy my Warriors of Chaos back off my mate :o

TreManor
13-05-2009, 02:02
Thanks Brimstone for adding the pics, and no problem on the move, I just assumed that the news and rumour section was the appropriate place, but now I know. ;)

I have never seen the Thagrosh model in the flesh. I always figured it was a single piece... Hmmm...

I have used a similar plug and socket joint for my Bolverk the Bold and Howler figrues and they have both been super easy to fit the weapon peg into the hand socket.

Thank you Shamfrit. ;) These are intended to be ready to ship by the 5th of June along with the rest of the HelsVakt vanguard..... a witch, three heavy elites, a Shieldmaiden, and MAYBE a mounted warlord.

stubby
13-05-2009, 02:38
I love them.

I also love your newer Reaper orcs.

The only thing I see totally different is the head and hands. Since these are not that incredibly different for the bodies, any chance you might have seperate orc head and hand as options (hands if you go with the seperate hand holding the weapon idea which I prefer)?

TreManor
13-05-2009, 02:49
No the RBG " orcs " are coming, a long way out but coming none the less. They will have a look all their own, and not even remotely human. ;)

stubby
13-05-2009, 03:15
Well then all I can say is I can't wait to see them!

Nordic orcs sound fantastic. Any chance of seeing concept sketches?

Lord Dan
13-05-2009, 04:11
I think this becomes news when it's actually for sale. Before then it is just discussion, and not really a rumour either. You would get just as much feedback in the fantasy discussion section.

I agree with your point, but that sounded a little backhanded. No need to be so cold and bureaucratic about an honest mistake. :)

I like them a lot, Tre. To answer your question I think modular pieces are wicked cool if they fit together well. I can't tell you how many pieces I've had to green stuff in order to make limbs fit on correctly. Not being a producer of miniatures I wouldn't know the difficulties involved with such issues, however from a consumer standpoint I'd rather pay for relatively easy assembly over diverseness.

The Red Scourge
13-05-2009, 07:58
Awesome. I just might consider adding something other than cavalry to my WoC :)

noeste
13-05-2009, 22:19
Really nice looking sculpts! Well done

No-One
17-05-2009, 07:40
Well then all I can say is I can't wait to see them!

Nordic orcs sound fantastic. Any chance of seeing concept sketches?

i agree with this sentiment, i would love to see you do orcs, and if you could atleast hook us up with some concept art of what they would look like that would be awesome! :D

Urgat
17-05-2009, 08:07
To OP: of course it's a good idea, I can't understand why GW sticks to their stupid flat contact areas, it's a pain to glue sometimes, now I pin everything, even small plastic parts >>

Gaargod
17-05-2009, 11:26
As an aside, the first link didn;t work because you typed http://http// at the start of the link (confuses the internet horribly).

Anyways, modelwise, they look nice and detailed. Is it me though, or does one of them seem to have his left leg bending in a bit?

mweaver
19-05-2009, 15:46
They look very nice! Barbarians aren't my thing, generally, but I will probably pick up some of yours (and a dwarf or two or three) soon.