PDA

View Full Version : Official June 2009 White Dwarf (USA 353, UK 354 etc) Feedback Thread

Wintermute
13-05-2009, 19:42
Its time for yet another White Dwarf Feedback thread, this time for the June issue (US 353, UK 354 etc).

If any of you wish to make more general comments about WD, please will you make them in the General White Dwarf Feedback Thread (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972).

I would like to make a couple of other requests. If you post the score you have given to the current WD on the thread, would you please explain why especially if you have voted 1 or 10. I think this is useful (and interesting) for other WarSeer members reading the thread, it also provides useful feedback for others who read the thread which may include GW Staffers.

The other request is related to the previous one. Do not criticise people for posting their score and views about WD, I believe we are all entitled to voice our opinions without the the fear of them being criticised.

As always, all off-topic posts and spam will be deleted without notice.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

OrlyggJafnakol
26-05-2009, 13:26
My copy was awaiting me as I arrived home from the hospital. First thing that struck me was that the issue felt heavier than usual (though I check the page count and it was the same as last months!)

It must be the increase in words in this months issue!

As expected, loads on Warhammer and Empire in particular. No problem really, after last months 40K imperial guard stuff. I was interested to see the layout of the new Empire reference book (I am hoping they will do this for other races), the new Temple of Skulls terrian piece and was surprised to see the Mighty Zug return- good model too!

Planetstrike is previewed along with news bites for Planetary Empires, Empire Army BL books (which look interesting) and new supplements from Dark Heresy.

Empire stuff very readable, loads of illustrations and models that I haven't seen before. Steam tank kit examined in detail. An interesting article and battle report about Elves in LotR (and I really don't like the game). Valkyrie datasheet, fluff and markings guide.

Drums of War article about the Warhammer world is the best thing in White Dwarf for years. A narrative campaign full of characters and fluff.

Usual painting guides and the like finish of a good issue.

I vote 8.

Sleazy
26-05-2009, 15:22
That actually sounds like a decent issue, last issue was ok too, perhaps the start of a trend?

Heres hoping mine was delivered today.

Suicide Messiah
26-05-2009, 16:33
Lots of really nice pictures. Thats all i look for in a WD and this months delieverd. Lots of really cool Empire kit bashing (mike andersons and dave andrews' stuff was especially lovely) and a good deal of nicely painted stuff too. I couldnt see a tutorial other than the crappy LotR one so thats a bit of a let down after last months.

Oh, and it had some words from Jes in there, which can only be good.

A solid 8 from me. Sure they were advertising the crap out of the empire stuff but it was done from a modelling point of view so its cool.

coatesy101
26-05-2009, 18:08
On page 13 it makes reference to the 'eavy metal team using a lot of grey paint recently, anyone know what that could be about?

OrlyggJafnakol
26-05-2009, 18:12
On page 13 it makes reference to the 'eavy metal team using a lot of grey paint recently, anyone know what that could be about?

I suspect this is a reference to all the scenery kits to be released alongside Planetstrike. The kits were recently previewed in the GW email thingy.

mrtn
26-05-2009, 18:27
I'm really not up to scratch on 40K rumours, but hasn't there been talk about a Space Wolves codex? They're grey...

I liked this issue quite a bit. The LotR battle report was good, much better than the WFB one, and I play WFB but not LotR.

This issue featured beastmen a little, and it's quite laughable how little they know about army composition for that army. A unit of 8 centigors with full command? Beast Herds 15 strong with 10 gors with shields? Minotaur units 3 strong with extra hand weapons and standards? :rolleyes:

I gave it a 6.

darren redstar
26-05-2009, 18:43
it actually appears to be not too bad an issue, however it seems so thin next to the new WI

Lord of Worms
27-05-2009, 09:04

Space Wolves!!!:D

electricwolf
27-05-2009, 11:32
I read the recent issue and i have to say i'm disappointed.

The issue was full of two things Empire and LOTR Elves and little else. 40K got what 4 pages!

Whatever happened to White Dwarf having actual articles that i can't get anywhere else?

I remember when White Dwarf had painting articles, modeling articles and more than 4 pages of 40k.

Sleazy
27-05-2009, 13:16
I gave it a 6, not as good as I'd hoped, too Empire focused. Yes I realise they are this months big release and I have no problem with there being Empire articles but does it really have to be almost every page? I remember then WD could do more than show off the latest shiney thing.

Having said all that I do really like some of the new Empire minis, its just the whole goldsword saga that has soured it.

Interesting Standard Bearer article, I wonder how some of the more over-zealous store managers like it encouraging the use of old minis? hell it even enouraged tracking down OOP minis (which surely reads as "buy 2nd hand"). Nice to see an article not telling us to buy X from your local GW now!

Lord of Worms
27-05-2009, 13:27
The Standard Bearers are the only reason I read the WD in the store:p

Osbad
27-05-2009, 14:24
I voted 4. Absolutely nothing to write home about.

Not too horrible an issue, but WD is now so clearly not aimed at me, its not worth it any more.

Nothing new to say about it. If you like lots of photos of the new (and not so new) Empire plastics, then this TEH WIN, otherwise its not.

Captain Shrike
28-05-2009, 08:51
Hmmm, the issue was alright. I gave it a seven. However, the new Valkyrie fluff was a blessing from god, and meant I could establish my regiment more firmly.

Malwych
28-05-2009, 10:24
I remember when White Dwarf had painting articles, modeling articles and more than 4 pages of 40k.

So do I. It was just last month.

EmperorNorton
28-05-2009, 10:40
Interesting Standard Bearer article, I wonder how some of the more over-zealous store managers like it encouraging the use of old minis? hell it even enouraged tracking down OOP minis (which surely reads as "buy 2nd hand"). Nice to see an article not telling us to buy X from your local GW now!
I have to agree, it also was the first Standard Bearer article I bothered to keep reading after the first paragraph.

While I enjoyed the focus on the Empire more than most of what was the main content of the past few issues, reading their claim of how the new plastic Greatswords make it easier to field large units quickly felt like a slap in the face.
Also, the heraldry book is listed as 22,50 in White Dwarf, but 19,50 in the preorder section on their website.

Lord Damocles
28-05-2009, 12:02
Despite getting a demand reminder to renew my subcription last month - and not having done so - I seem to have had another issue delivered anyway. Random. Oh well...

Editorial - Better than usual, but I still just don't care about anything he's got to say here...
OK

News / New Releases - The usual pictures of new stuff. There were also some pictures of new stuff which I hadn't seen before - which is nice.
OK

The Land of Sigmar (Empire) - Not sure I understand the point of this 'article'. It's a mix of 'Buy it, Buy it, Buy it!' designer's notes, sprue breakdowns (although I would have prefered the Greatswords or Archers rather than the box on wheels), and tactics advice all squashed into one. A more focussed and cohesive discussion of the new uniforms book would have sufficed.
Poor

Elves Unleashed (Apocarings) - First order of business: Gods those new Elves are ugly!
Second order of business: Meh. As usual, there's just a list of what's new (and thus what we should all buy). As I understand it from reading this, most of this new stuff has just been made up by GW, no? -sigh-
Poor

The Field of Swords (Elves vs. Orkses) - I *really* couldn't motivate myself to do more than skim over this after the last Apocarings battle report. I just have no interest at all, and nothing in this report drew me in in the slightest.
Poor

Liber Apocalyptica: Valkyrie - More datasheets (...yay...)
The new background is lukewarm at best, and the big awesome converted Valkyrie is dull as dishwater (we swapped the door gunners and stuck on a searchlight...)
OK

The Drums of War (Empire battle reports) - Given that I'm obviously not enjoying this issue, and I always moan about multiple battle reports like this, it would come as no surprise if I hated this. But I don't. I love it!
I don't play Fantasy, and I'm largly disinterested by the Empire - but this was great. It's the sort of article which could convince me to start a Fantasy army.
There was modest background, new scenarios, some humour ('Gunther's Sootmen miss their long-standing rivals. Well, except for Pietr. No one liked Pietr'), and battles which didn't appear to be too one sided.
The reports could have done with being more in-depth, and I would have liked to have seen the missing reports (buggered if I'm going to look online for them).
For me, this article was a perfect illustration of how to promote a product (in this case Fantasy, Empire, and the Uniforms book) without resorting to the snivelling pimpage seen earlier in this issue.
Good

Standard Bearer - Hmm, second month in row this hasn't given me a peptic ulcer. Eihter Jervis is getting better, or I'm less stressed these days...
I suspect that most players who have older models will have been using them anyway though, without having to get Jervis' approval.
OK

Bitz Box (Chaos Icons) - 'Mark used bitz from the Chaos Icons Khorne Symbols and Skulls Bitz Packs for his conversions. Turn to page 119 to see how you can order these'. Fistly, it's BITS not BITZ [/Rage]; secondly, nowhere is the skulls bits pack shown in this issue.
As usual this feature sucks hard.
Poor

Painting Masterclass (Keith Robertson) - As usual, the standard of painting is sickeningly high. More pictures, less words here please!
Good

Modelling Workshop (Empire) - Other than most of the conversions here using parts from the horrificly priced Greatswords, I like it a lot.
Good

Citadel hall of Fame (Shadowseer) - An article about Jes' scetchbook... now there's something I'd pay good money for...
This series seems to have found it's feet after it's first stumbles.
Good

Painting Workshop (Galahadrim) - Ew, they're just *so* ugly...
The first couple of pages are surplus to requirements, but once the guide proper starts, it gets better.
Good

Goden Demon Entry / Junk at the Back - So they refuse to put pictures of Golden Demon winning entries in White Dwarf when they win, but then put a selection of them in now. Riiight.
I don't care for the junk at the back, and I don't particularly care for space advertising Golden Demon if we're not going to see the results in the mag.
Poor

---------------------------

Last month I said:

There's a serious bias in favour of 40K (to the point where it seems rather insulting to any Fantasy players), and the content which is present is rather poorly written and unimaginative.
I think this holds true for the most part in this issue as well, except now there's a bias in favour of Fantasy.

Overall, it's a fairly dull issue (not that there's been a particularly good one for an age now), although the Empire battle reports were the shining light of this issue. More articles like this, and fewer like the first Empire article in the issue, and we'll be going in the right direction again.

Another 5 from me.

Osbad
28-05-2009, 14:52
I'm encouraged to go back and read the Empire Battle Reports. I got as far as the introduction, realised it was a) a multiple Batrep and b) Empire-focussed and sort of glazed over. I guess that was my bad!

mrtn
28-05-2009, 19:06
On page 78 there's a box about a downloadable (for free) Collectors Guide. Has anyone managed to find this on the GW website?

Wintermute
28-05-2009, 19:17
On page 78 there's a box about a downloadable (for free) Collectors Guide. Has anyone managed to find this on the GW website?

Comments such as this are off-topic. If you wish to discuss the location of the Guide, please do so on a new thread.

Wintermute

loveless
28-05-2009, 19:24

As has been mentioned, it's the Space Wolves. Notice how the same section talking about grey paint uses the term "howls." Admittedly, it took me a second to put two and two together.

It was a good issue...but it had the unfortunate side effect of me digging out the Empire minis I'd never finished and get to work on them. All the artwork and the campaign about the Empire was exceptional.

I did find it interesting that there were no prices on anything in the front like there usually are. It'll be interesting to see if this was because it went to printers before they had settled on the price for the product or if this is a new trend. Not a big deal, just something I noticed.

Lord Malorne
30-05-2009, 11:01
After last months issue I decided to get this one regardless.

After skimming through again it deserves a 1, the editorial was the best in a long time and a little humour here and there but this is likely my last WD issue.

30-05-2009, 16:19
I Was impressed actually voted (8).

the Valkry Apoc sheets were kinda nice, and the empire/chaos campaign was real nice especially the story driven nature and how different units had personality on the Empire side (felt bad for the chaos side as they didnt have as much character oh well).

I even enjoyed the LoTR articles (ussually real Meh to me)

I would have given a higher score but the empire/chaos campaign wants to force you to go to the Abysmal web sight. (dont want to go on that rant) so most likely I wont even attempt to see the rest of the scenerios (to bad they were nice and full of character)

Overall good job...needs more work but a lot better then it has been

Thrax
30-05-2009, 19:05
This was about as empty and dull an issue I've ever read. Back in January when Rick Priestly made a comment on how the magazine has strayed so far from its roots and it was time to revitalize White Dwarf I was encouraged and subscribed again. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Specifics? Admittedly I'm mostly a 40K fan so there was little for me anyway. But the recent spate of articles on 'Eavy Metal painters are particularly dull. Maybe if they shared their favorite technique or pitfalls to avoid it could be useful. Maybe if tactics were addressed a bit more, or if the magazine didn't try so hard to sell the next item. It's sad when the best part of an issue is a tease for further issues. Yawn.

Crube
30-05-2009, 19:39
I have written 3 reviews of this issue in my head.

1. When I got it - yay, loads of empire, bat reps, painting. woohoo
2. Flicking through it - mah, rubbish empire bat reps
3. Actually....

And that's what I'm going to post here...

Editorial - OK - usual shpeel

New Releases - OK - usual stuff, nothing we havent seen here, but hey... there are people that don't live on Warseer.... aren't there :eek:

News - OK - usual stuff - nothing we haven't really seen.... oh you get the idea. Although a couple of snippets that seem to confiem SW. The little 'In Brief' snippets were quite interesting.

Land of Sigmar - Good - An article about a background book - actually interesting, some new pictures i hadn't seen before. Probably better due to the fact as I like the Empire

Steam Tank Breakdown - OK/Good - I always like these - and it shows the sprues have quite a few tasty little extras... I wish it been the archers or Goldswords, but interesting nontheless

Empire Tactics - Poor... Very Poor - about half a page of stuff that almost anyone will probably have worked out for themselves...

LotR - No Comment - I don't normally read it, but there were plenty of words this time

Valkyrie - OK - Again, not a 40k player, but I do like 40K articles. Seemed a little rushed, and lacking substance. More pictures of this months latest big thing (TM)

Drums of War - Good - Now when I first skimmed the issue, this looked like a very poor sequence of 3 EMpire battle reps. However, if you read them as an article, introducing a campaign, and (shock horror) having a bit of fun. I enjoyed it.

Standard Bearer - Good - Jervis back on form - almost up to the standard of the RP article a couple of months ago...

Bitz Box - Poor - pointless

Painting Masters - Good - more depressingly well painted models, and a decent enough article.

Empire Modelling - OK/Good - lots of kit bashing, shows good use of new kit parts and how they match up to existing ones.

Hall of Fame - Good - again, more depressingly well painted minis...

Painting Workshop - Good - LotR, but still lots of good advice on techniques and colours...

Games Day - Good - more depressingly well painted minis...

Stuff in the back - OK - it has to be there so it has to be there...

A couple of things surprised me about this issue.
1. There wasn't any real focus on the new Greatswords - are they ashamed of the price enough to not scream out BUY ME NOW?
2. Lack of 40K - I know last months was almost all 40K, but I really thought there would be more system balance this issue

Overall a solid 8/10 - the 2 points off were for the poor things noted above, and the lack of 40K

venus_redscar
30-05-2009, 21:53
I liked the issue. I don't buy it every month, but I bought it this month just for the Empire info and to get some ideas on how to make unique units. I have trouble thinking much outside the box. Like I would never have thought to use Wood Elf bits on a wizard...

I also like the battle report details even if I don't care for the battle report itself. Mostly the character pages.

One thing I want to point out to people. Even if Standard bearer is saying to use older models, it is still only there to get people to buy from the GW collectors range on their site. So still pushing the core message. "Buy new Stuff.... even when it is repackaged old stuff."

This is the third White Dwarf I've bought and so far it is the best. Still not worth the regular buy or subscription though.

TheBigBadWolf
31-05-2009, 20:54
I gave it a 7 this month, like the empire stuff, looking forward to the new planetary empires hive tile, will probably get it just for my desk :).

I would say a pretty good issue overall, lots to read.

Crube
31-05-2009, 22:18
Actually TheBigBadWolf, I think that's waht sets this issue apart from others for me...

Lots to read...

Patriarch
01-06-2009, 19:24
I would have given it a 3 (vaguely interesting WFB Empire stuff, little WH40k).

However it leaps up by 2 points for having a Genestealer Hybrid in the painting masterclass. Yay for old fluff!

And one more point for Jervis telling us (in code) to buy our miniatures on eBay.

So 6 for this month.

EvC
01-06-2009, 20:49
Quite a good issue, worth buying IMO. It's like they told Jeremy Vetock to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING!! to make Empire look interesting and good fun, and he delivered superbly. Loved seeing Marius Leitdorf getting some attention, funny that they had to houserule him to make him worthwhile seeing as Empire Generals are normally rubbish (And then play against Chaos where every Chaos hero has to challenge him and face 5 attacks that auto-wound with no armours save, poor Chaos!). Those Empire armies look nothing like anything I've seen on the table in years, hopefully it will inspire other players.

Jedi152
02-06-2009, 08:08
I begrudgingly picked this issue up since it's fantasy heavy and it seems pretty good. Haven't had much chance to read to properly yet, but the Empire articles and campaign seem good.

A few niggles so far: Once again GW slip up with sprue layouts. Who decides which ones to do? The steam tank is pretty much identical to the metal one that everyone has seen a million times before. If you're shoving greatswords then it at least makes basic sense to advertise how good the sprues are. As bad as the space marine release (where they decided not to show sprue layouts of the brand new drop-pod, and went with the land raider redeemer, a tank exactly the same as one that's been out for 5+ years).

Jervis' column irks me yet again. How have they got the gall to run an article on how fun and exciting it is to use old models when they themselves stopped selling them a year ago?

As usual for GW staff it just smacks of elitism: "we've got it and it's amazing ... and you can't have it".

And it shows the attitudes towards games systems well. Last month in a 40k centric issue, fantasy had zero articles. Nothing. Now, in a fantasy centric ones, they've always got room to shove a 40k article in...

Aside from that, it seems a good read. I'll post a more detailed review when i've read it.

EvC
02-06-2009, 11:08
Yeah, the choice of sprues was rubbish (and boring, too). They take the time describe the Archers set as having an Orc corpse in there, but not a single picture of it anywhere, bit of a fail there WD.

jimbobodoll
02-06-2009, 14:30
After skimming through again it deserves a 1, the editorial was the best in a long time and a little humour here and there but this is likely my last WD issue. After reading your response to last month's WD, I flicked through this month's and too have decided that it isn't worth reading. I was going to quote your posat from last month, but this month's will do also.

Jervis' column irks me yet again. How have they got the gall to run an article on how fun and exciting it is to use old models when they themselves stopped selling them a year ago? I fully concur 100%. A complete lack of common sense seems to run through the team...

A Fat 1 from me. White Dwarf can be summed up in one word: "Insipid".

badgeraddict
02-06-2009, 18:35
I brought this issue only because there was a heavy focus on Fantasy. Ok the Empire at least, which I have a passing interest in.

Not sure however that it was worth it in the end. The battle reports were dirge.

I liked reading about the 'fluffy units' from the campaign. That was about it.

I voted 5 as such.

Tanner MIrabel
04-06-2009, 12:12
I really liked the Empire modelling workshop. It showed some fantastic ideas for what you can do with the plastics. This is the sort of article I love: it really inspires, gives ideas on new paint schemes, themes or whatever. I remember an earlier article like this, showing Witchhunter Inquisitor warbands, that still inspires me (wow, that's probably 5 years ago).

I also quite enjoyed the campaign. Always nice to see some different ideas for why we fight these battles! The battle reports themselves were the usual for these days: light on detail, light on explanation. Why why why are there no maps?

darius-god-of-biscuits
04-06-2009, 23:41
I bought Wargames Illustrated along with this month's WD, just for the free Perry miniatures, and I am afraid to say that WI gave me more reading time than WD for my commute, and that it is a more likely purchase for me in the future.

Sure WD has the great looking Heavy Metal painted figures but they're way out of my league. The figures in WI are nearer to what I can aspire to.

(Off-topic while Wintermute isn't looking - there's a link to the Collectors Guide on the GW website, under Books and then Catalogue 2009.)

Wintermute
05-06-2009, 07:22
(Off-topic while Wintermute isn't looking - there's a link to the Collectors Guide on the GW website, under Books and then Catalogue 2009.)

Who said I'm not looking ;)

Wintermute

Malakai
05-06-2009, 22:24
It was an ok issue. The prices missing at the beginning threw me. I thought GW had finally become too embarrassed to post their prices in WD for fear of scaring off potential players. ;) Then I remembered the price change and chalked it up to that.

In the past I've never really been bothered by the fact that some issues will contain more fantasy over 40K or vice versa (depending on what I'm playing at the time) as I just took it to be the natural way of things. But really WD needs to do a better job of balancing content from their three systems. Of course one system will always have more space in it, depending on whose getting the big release that month, but short changing one or both of the others is, in my opinion, detrimental to sustained sales.

It's hard to imagine someone who plays only one system of the GW games ever getting a subscription to a WD. Why would they? It's much easier and cheaper to just pick and choose the WD they need/want to buy on a month to month basis.

That being said when I change gears from 40K and go back to my WFB Empire army this will definitely be an issue I'll check out.

p.s. The LotR Elves look like monkeys. I hate that game and their miniatures. :evilgrin:

Plaguebeast
07-06-2009, 02:36
This is the first WD in well over a year that I've considered worthy enough to purchase. However, in saying that, I've only given it a 5. When considering my vote I tried to be as objective as possible, therefore, my score is not entirely indicative of the issue's usefulness to me personally (being an Empire player, I quite enjoyed the issue and would give it a 'personal value' of about a '7'). Where the issue falls down is in the dominance of WFB articles, or more specifically, Empire-focused articles, therefore rendering the issue of less value to the vast majority of players (including WD's target 'younger' audience I presume). This shameless overexposure of the 'flavour of the month' needs to stop.

However, I must admit that the Empire articles are certainly a step in the right direction. Fluff (especially the little snippets of fluff describing each regiment in the Empire campaign), scenarios/campaigns and player conversions are the best of way of pimping a product as they get the creative juices flowing and inspire people to buy. Kudos to GW for this move. The battle reports remain terrible though - bring back the maps and a higher word count please.

Plaguebeast

mweaver
07-06-2009, 14:41
I am enjoying it. I am a big Empire fan.

Finn Sourscowl
07-06-2009, 20:08
Hmmmm... mixed feelings about this one. Overall, mostly positive (hence a 7 from me), really quite a lot to read and most of it interesting! The one thing it lost a point for was the Empire tactics (which said absolutely nothing) and the sample army list with nothing to explain why this was a good choice.

Otherwise from what I've read, looks pretty good. I'm especially enjoying the Empire bat rep - other than the silly over-use of Steam tanks... there are 11 of them, people, in the whole Empire, what is the chance of 2 making an apperance in the same battle??! That aside, it makes a really good read and top marks to JV for pulling that off!

I do find it very annoying that the plastic great swords are so stupidly expensive and I didn't realise that Battalion boxes had gone up to 60 - made me growl somewhat.

Overall, though a good READ... not something you often say about WD - nice to look at, yes, but not always a good read ;)

The Marshel
11-06-2009, 09:42
i didn;t like this white dwraf at all. naver taken an interest in whfb, and i;ve taken less interest in empire. the 40k content was just planet strike junk i already new and more about valkryies which just seems to be abit draged out now. valkryies are everywhere on the site, all over last white dwarf and there are plenty here, i'v seen enough.

what i really disliked was the lotr content. I play sbg, have for a fair while. i was dissapointed that the galadriam rules were not in this white dwarf. it seems they were just stalling for conent. i found the galadriam article to be rubish and i didn;t really bother with the battle report given the insane combination of the balrog and the necromancer. seriously gw, go read tolkin. WOTR grew old on me quickly anyway, losy interest when i realised i was just killing alot of things real quick. the painting artcles for galadriam weren't to great either, at least imo. all too bright and looked far to heavily armoured. should have stuck with the same scheme from the old galadriam.

I actually gave my copy away to a make who plays empire, at least he'll be able to enjoy. I hope the planet strike release provides more interesting 40k content next month, as the forecat for lotr is just profiles we should have got this month.

boogle
11-06-2009, 14:21
i'll give it a 6, i really enjoyed the background material and the upgrades to certain Empire units within the lists in the campaign, the Bat Reps themselves were what they are, nothing more, nothing less.

the painting articles were good, the LOTR stuff i skipped over (mainly as Elves of any sort have no interest to me), zstandard Bearer was ok.

Plaguebeast
12-06-2009, 05:56
One other thing to note is Jervis' call for people to make submissions as to which 'classic' miniatures they would like to see added to the collector's catalogue. Big thumbs up from me for that.

Now, which models to choose...

Plaguebeast

VeriNasti
12-06-2009, 05:58
I put a six. For me there was not enough 40K but I still liked the LOTR battle report and the new empire showcases.

LonelyPath
15-06-2009, 22:47
I found this issue to be the worst in a while (for me at least). I've never been a Empire fan so filling most of a issue with them really wasn't to my liking. I did however enjoy the LotR stuff (and npe, GW isn't making much of it up, lol) and Standard Bearer was enjoyable as usual.

Having no shots of the Skulls Pack was annoying though.

Only a 2 from me.

mweaver
16-06-2009, 03:30
I enjoyed this issue. But of their main games, WH is my favorite, and I my favorite army is the Empire, so it was likely going to be a good issue for me. I did like the pictures of the converted figures. I love playing with the plastic Empire guys, and always enjoy seeing how other people have put them together to make interesting and unique poses.

Paganite
16-06-2009, 06:34
I sort of grade White Dwarf by how much is stuff that makes you want to get the magazine out or photocopy pages of it to lay on the table while you are gaming or painting or modeling.

In that sense this issue falls pretty far short.

Apocalypse formation for Valkyrie? And people complain about them pandering to 14 year olds, it is obvious they pander to the executive! So nothing useful there.

Battle report is basically line em up and have at it. Why not some random objectives to try out or something.

Conversions are all right, and basically the only bit I could imagine ever reading again.

Painting articles, well they certainly look good, but really its just pretty pictures.

Hialmar
18-06-2009, 05:51
I agree that the Drums of War article was the best thing in White Dwarf for years. I thought it was well written and some interesting ideas. I do have a question though. It stated that all 6 scenarios would be available online but I have not seen them anywhere. I have looked at all the logical sites without luck. Does anyone have any idea where they might be?

danaid
22-06-2009, 04:04
Good book for Warhammer Fantasy lover

farseerOL
27-06-2009, 10:03
When I started to flip through this issue, its cramp with Empire stuff until the convertion section which really caught my attention there especially the 3 converted wizards by Keith, Neil, and Mike. Even though I'm not an Empire collector, but still this issue is really very informative. Unlike last issue (Imperial Guard), nothing special. From my opinion, every issue of WD need something really interesting to catch people's heart. That will ensure that the magazine is worth buying.