PDA

View Full Version : How do Space Marines view humans?

catbarf
13-05-2009, 21:48
Perhaps I've forgotten, but I don't recall reading much on this subject. Basically, how do Space Marines view the rest of the human race? Do they see ordinary people as inferior animals? Or perhaps as children, with a fatherly sort of viewpoint? Or possibly brothers/sisters of the same common race? Or does it vary by chapter?

SimonL
13-05-2009, 21:50
Sorta like your car views a speed bump. Only squishy

Seriously though, it very much depends on the Chapter. Some simoly don't care if they live or die (Marines Malevolent) whilst others (Salamanders) viwe protecting citizens as equal to destroying the enemies of humanity.

Havock
13-05-2009, 21:52
Depends on the chapter. And the individual marine.

aad
13-05-2009, 22:18
just like normal people look at other people.

with:
-loathing
-liking
-hating
-carrying

etc etc etc

every chapter has his own ways, and every marine in his chapter has his own feelings...

Kiras of the flame
14-05-2009, 00:05
Space Marines are human... Even if they have more organs than the average human. They started human and they're human if you think about it, they are built from the same stock as humans (how do you think space marines are made?)

Gutlord Grom
14-05-2009, 01:11
There are two extremes, Tu' Shan and Vinyard(not sure that's right, but its been a while). Tu'Shan's Chapter helped rebuild Armageddon and I think a company or two of Salamanders is still there defending major population centers. And then Marines like Vinyard will shell a refugee camp with Whirlwinds because orks got into the perimeter.

Everybody else more or less lies in between the two groups. I would guess the "average" Marine sees regular humans with a mix of condescension and protectiveness.

Felwether
14-05-2009, 02:15
Space Marines are human... Even if they have more organs than the average human. They started human and they're human if you think about it, they are built from the same stock as humans (how do you think space marines are made?)

Space Marines are most definitely NOT human. From both a physical and mental point of view. They are Astartes.

Just as a Space Marine's body is honed for warfare so too is his mind. Their capacity for free and creative thinking is probably quite limited beyond the subject of war and combat (probably as a safety feature).

In most cases the Hypno indoctrination will wipe away the memories of their previous human life, to such a degree that they won't even remember their mother's name.

Whether a Space Marine views humans with contempt or respect depends entirely on the teachings of his chapter.

madprophet
14-05-2009, 02:30
Space Marines sacrifice their humanity to protect humanity. To some this means they see unaugmented humans as their charges, others may view them as no different from any other objective, still others may actually care for them.

The Ultramarines seem pretty interested in the welfare of the people of the Realm of Ultramar and the Salamanders seem very concerned with the people of their homeworld.

The Dark Angels, on the other hand, don't seem to mingle with normal humans that much and the Iron Snakes in the Tactica Imperium couldn't give a tinkers damn about normal humans - they were focused on the good of the Imperium not the fate of any individual or even group of humans being willing to sacrifice an entire colony they were sworn to defend to the Dark Eldar (using them as bait) on the theory that the destruction of this cabal was a benefit to humanity and thus the colonials they allowed the Dark Eldar to slaughter before smashing them.

The Blood Angels seem somewhere in the middle, concerned about the people they are sent to defend but unable to really identify with them the way the Ultramarines and the Salamanders do.

captainramoz
14-05-2009, 03:10
That depends on the founding legion.
Let us see this hypotetychal situation
A planet has had a recent rebelion encouraged by chaos still some loyalist soldier try to save their planet
What whould you do if u are
A:Ultra: probably try to evacuate those citizens specially the important one. Have an economical view
B:wolfie salamander or imperial fist: Descend there quick some buts and help the survivors. They do care about humanity and see them as their responsability and children.
C: Da: wip the planet out with and exterminatus butcher everything that stands betewn you and the fallen angel leader
D:IH: Kill everything you have to make some bombardements after all flesh is weak and if you kill some men there are always more.
E:BA,WS:Make some super manbo jambo heroic action and believe that your commander is whether Sanguinius or Jagathai Khan.
F:RG:You will probably be too drunk and depressed to deploy.
In my personal view some see humans just like Halbarad saw defending hobbits in LoTR:
"A little people but of Great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safe-keeping of their borders. Yet, I grudge it not."
They became marines to protect and guide humanity so they probably see them as defenseless childrens

Felwether
14-05-2009, 03:30
They became marines to protect and guide humanity so they probably see them as defenseless childrens

What's all this about people choosing to become Space Marines?

One day you're running around killing giant lizards with your bare hands and BAM! a giant turns up and takes you away across the big black ocean in the sky to join his people.

You have one choice during the trials to become an Astartes: Suceed or die.

Not that it's much of a choice.

Also just because Space Marines are charged with defending the Imperium doesn't necessarily mean they give a damn about the people in it.

I'm sure many Marines are of the opinion "Well if you're weak enough to need our help then you deserve to die. We're only here because your planet is of tactical importance to the Emperor and the High Lords."

EDIT: Although I'm also sure there are plenty of namby-pamby marines out there who just want to give the nearest refugee a big hug and a kiss before they even think about grinding the enemy into a fine paste. :D

ryng_sting
14-05-2009, 09:00
Space Marines are taught that their sacred duty is to protect the Imperium and its citizens. However, how they interpret this varies from chapter to chapter. Evidently, some chapters believe the Imperium matters more than its citizens, so anything that draws long-term benefit is good by default, however terrible the immediate cost. Others argue otherwise: if every citizen was sacrificed for some supposed benefit in the future, the Imperium would cease to exist. Most chapters probably fall somewhere in the middle.

Although the Space Marines could consider themselves a seperate race if they chose to, their Chaplains decry this, associating it with the egoism - they believe - that led the Traitor Legions to Chaos. To be a Space Marine is to be more than a man, but is also to be a man. And that is never to be forgotten.

MajorWesJanson
14-05-2009, 11:00
There are two extremes, Tu' Shan and Vinyard(not sure that's right, but its been a while). Tu'Shan's Chapter helped rebuild Armageddon and I think a company or two of Salamanders is still there defending major population centers. And then Marines like Vinyard will shell a refugee camp with Whirlwinds because orks got into the perimeter.

Everybody else more or less lies in between the two groups. I would guess the "average" Marine sees regular humans with a mix of condescension and protectiveness.

Does someone have that little blurb about the two of them? I saw it a while back and have been looking for it since.

Balance-keeper
14-05-2009, 12:19
I dont know where i read it, but i do recall an imperial guard watch a space marine kill another guardsman becos he was in his way...nothing else, the guardsman was just guarding a building with stricked orders to not allow ANYone through.... poor guy.

But i think that gets a point across that some of the marines see human beings as nothing more than bugs...

...It must kill them when one of these bugs becomes an inquisitor and can order them to kill themselfs, An order They Must Obey.

Askil the Undecided
14-05-2009, 12:57
In short some individual marines are nice others are dicks but the ideals of the Chapter and Imperium come first.

For example a few square miles of outlying hab-blocks are being swarmed by xenos/traitors the area had not been evacuated.

Nice: I regret this spilling of Imperial blood... remember brothers "The blood of martyrs is the seed of the Imperium."

Dick: Destroy it all in the Emperor's name! A true servant of the Emperor would fight for his home! FIRE! Give the scum nowhere to hide!

The result is basically the same but the rationale behind it is different.

Space marines are actually not compelled to follow orders from Inquisitors they tend to for the sake of diplomacy but they don't have to.

I believe that SM are generally taught that humanity is important and must be protected from all threats, individual humans however are of little importance at all until proven otherwise by position or action.

Emperor's Grace
14-05-2009, 19:21
Depends on the chapter and humans in question.

My homebrew thinks of humanity in general as "children" needing a strong hand to protect and guide them.

Individuals, however, may be strong enough of will/spirit to be regarded as "little brothers" or weak/cowardly enough to be view with contempt.

Grimtuff
14-05-2009, 21:44
Does someone have that little blurb about the two of them? I saw it a while back and have been looking for it since.

Courtesy of Archive.org :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20080123184957/http://www.armageddon3.com/English/Campaign/Troops/malevolent.html

captainramoz
15-05-2009, 02:05
What's all this about people choosing to become Space Marines?
Also just because Space Marines are charged with defending the Imperium doesn't necessarily mean they give a damn about the people in it.

I'm sure many Marines are of the opinion "Well if you're weak enough to need our help then you deserve to die. We're only here because your planet is of tactical importance to the Emperor and the High Lords."

EDIT: Although I'm also sure there are plenty of namby-pamby marines out there who just want to give the nearest refugee a big hug and a kiss before they even think about grinding the enemy into a fine paste. :D
First that only applies to DA and their succesor nomally marines are sent to superdire situations and they valour the IG and militias help. I see them really as you know that caracther that is strong and uses that sthrenght to defend other after all that's what being a marine is all about