PDA

View Full Version : Creating a older chapter?

The Caliban Lion
14-05-2009, 00:41
I was looking through the Dark Angels codex and suddenly felt like doing a army with The Consecrators. One thing bothers me though. It says that they use the most ancient patterns of armour and wargear.

Now, how do you make an army like that? Do you have to get older models? Or do you get different armour patterns when you buy a Tactical Squad? If so, does the same apply to Devastator Squads and Assault Squads?

Any help would be appreciated.

The Caliban Lion
14-05-2009, 08:18
Nobody? :eyebrows:

ToXiK
14-05-2009, 09:00
if you go to www.thegreatcrusade.co.uk then they will be able to help as this is a site for pre heresy models etc good info there

Sir_Turalyon
14-05-2009, 09:01
It depends what you define as ""most ancient models", but generaly, you have to scupult it yourself. The new Codex: Ultramarines has drawings of all armour patterns from unification wars to post-heresy era, it may be worth checking out.

As for the Marine sets, they include almost only modern Mark 7 armour, with few pieces of older patterns (for each 5 marines you get 2 pairs of Mark 6 legs, one Mark 6 head, one Mark 5/6 shoulder pad and one Mark 5 torso). The Consecrators master on photo in codex is a frankenstein monster made from mix of Mark 5,6 and 7 pieces and 2nd edition bolter. The Black Templars upgrade sprue includes 2 Mark 4 helmets and torsos. Space Wolves sprue is supposed to contain one Mark 6 torso, but I can't verify that. There is plenty of Mark 2/3 helmets scattered between command squad / Dark Angels / Black Templar sprues. In general, there are too few of these bits per sprue to justify buying it - most effective way I can think of is one tactical and one Templar sprue used to create two mark 4, one Mark 5 (with added studs), one Mark 6 (with rescupulted torso) and one Mark 2 (with rescupulted torso) marines, meaning you only need to scupult two chests. If you are not into scupulting, at least 2/5 of your marines will be unusable.

You can try to buy bits you need on eBay / from bits selling services and use them to upgrade a tactical sprue. You can hunt for RT era marines in Mark 6 armour (only way to get sizable heresy-era force without converting). You can buy one Chaos marine squad per each tactical squad and add bits from there, with removed chaos iconography, but again some of marines you pay for are wasted.

In the end, easiest way to get squad in pre-heresy armour is to scupult it yourself.

Oh, and GW sells in it's online store sets of five metal marines in mark 1,2,3,4 and 5 armour, called "Armour through the ages". But the price is prohibitive; buying one set as scupulting references is good idea, but making army of them would be very expansive.

Dr. Hellbeast
14-05-2009, 09:29
Hi, The Caliban Lion.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but these are, I believe, Mark IV armour upgrades:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/rsvets.htm

I know they have Red Scorpions iconography, but the beauty of resin is how easily you can scrape off the details you don't want.

Check 'em out. :)

The Caliban Lion
14-05-2009, 10:36
Thanks everybody.

How about the Dark Angels veterans? They look pretty ancient, and the cloaks cover it up pretty nicely otherwise. But then again, I don't want my whole army wearing cloaks.

inquisitor solarris
14-05-2009, 10:42
Black Templars have some old looking helmets on them (and knightly too-Perfect for Pre-heresy armour :D )

Sir_Turalyon
15-05-2009, 16:25
Dark Angles veterans with visible chests armour use modern Mark 7 ones. Using Mark 6 (beakie) heads, studded shoulder pads, robed legs without kneepads and robes that cover whole chest one or two per box can be made to look like wearing heavily covered Mark 6 armour.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but these are, I believe, Mark IV armour upgrades:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/rsvets.htm

Right, Red Scorpions Mark 4 armour set is chepest way to make pre-Heresy armour... Probably forgot to mention it because it's still to expansive for me :(.