PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever seen a Rainbow Warriors "army"

Lord of Worms
14-05-2009, 01:08
Seriously. :D A friend and I were just talking about stupid sounding chapter names, so of course the old fan favourite rears his fluorescent head. Has anybody ever actually used these guys?

Templar Ben
14-05-2009, 01:12
Actually in the flesh or just photos?

Lord of Worms
14-05-2009, 01:20
I guess either. I find it hard to believe more than one of these guys was ever made.

Sorros
14-05-2009, 01:20
Do you mean an army with varying colours on each soldier, or just a variety of units? If just by units, then Eldar themselves are sort of a rainbow army...Fire Dragons, Harlies, Scorpions, DAs, craftworld colour, banshees, reapers, warp spiders...

Lord of Worms
14-05-2009, 01:22
No. Waay back in the day there was a chapter of space marines called "The Rainbow Warriors".

Mannimarco
14-05-2009, 01:23
no he means the rainbow warrior marine chapter

dang ninjad

i think they come from the planet prism or somthing which somtimes turns up on star charts lol

SimonL
14-05-2009, 01:25
They aren't that colorful, sorta like Ultramarine with three stripes on the head.

KtL
14-05-2009, 01:29
Most I can recall seeing in one shot was on the back of a White Dwarf in RT days. A unit of Rainbow Warriors and some tanks.

Been a few here in the project logs on Warseer though they never went far:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163755
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130916

This one over at Millenium Gate:
http://milleniumgate.net/index.php?showtopic=348

SPYDER68
14-05-2009, 01:58
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2242/2139083112_cdf96702d9.jpg?v=1198697226

found that rainbow warrior throu google image search

Lord of Worms
14-05-2009, 02:03
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2242/2139083112_cdf96702d9.jpg?v=1198697226

found that rainbow warrior throu google image search

That model was disgusting. 'Care Bears' Space Marine?

pityedbythedicegods
14-05-2009, 02:04
I Know a guy who plays them he has like 3000pts of them.

Lord of Worms
14-05-2009, 02:05
I don't believe you

pityedbythedicegods
14-05-2009, 02:07
Lol,I knew someone would say that but I diden't expect it to be so fast.
Yeah but he does have them but there prety much dust collectors as he plays space wolves now but he still has 'em.

Lord of Worms
14-05-2009, 02:25
I think this goes on the list of things GW should apologize to it's customers for. Our over priced models pay for their designers salaries and this is what they come up with?

eltanko
14-05-2009, 02:32
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/e/eb/Rainbow_Warriors_Armor.png

oh dear!

it doesnt really look that bad, could be a hell of a lot worse! just the pants name!!

ElTanko

Lord of Worms
14-05-2009, 02:35
That's not a terrible scheme actually. I just find it hard to believe that an elite order of super-soldiers could even take themselves seriously with that as their name.

MajorWesJanson
14-05-2009, 06:49
The Rainbow Warriors chapter was originally named for the Greenpeace ship that France sunk, and the debacle that ensued.

Plastic Rat
14-05-2009, 07:05
Seriously, who thought up this chapter? Jervis while smoking a bong?

I find that to be the easiest explanation for just about everything Jervis does.

Grimtuff
14-05-2009, 07:10
The Rainbow Warriors chapter was originally named for the Greenpeace ship that France sunk, and the debacle that ensued.

This man is correct. Get him a cookie. Stat!

Leogun_91
14-05-2009, 09:17
This one over at Millenium Gate:
http://milleniumgate.net/index.php?showtopic=348I actually like that paintsheme...it isnīt what I expected red and yellow on the head with darkblue powerarmour looks cool and the helmet seems fun......I might start them just for the laugh of having a Rainbow warrior army.

crazywhiteboydance
14-05-2009, 10:16
Have I seen a RW army??? Why yes! I own one, lol

KtL
14-05-2009, 14:50
That's not a terrible scheme actually. I just find it hard to believe that an elite order of super-soldiers could even take themselves seriously with that as their name.

There are lot of Polynesian myths revolving around a "Rainbow Warrior", native Australian myth has some has well.

Philip K. Sibbering has an Aztec take on the Chapter:
http://www.philipsibbering.com/WH40KRP/40K_9_Marine_4_Chapters.shtml#Rainbow_Warriors

This on the BL forums as well:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071218233021/http://forum.blacklibrary.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10191

There is also the picture in the RT rule book of "Brother Vermillion" being gunned down by "Sister Sin". It is opposite a passage talking about the Adeptus Sororitas being tasked with maintaining genetic purity amongst the Space Marine Chapters.

Jedi152
14-05-2009, 15:06
I heard rainbow warrior armies are very common in california.. Also you see them occasionally during rainbow warrior pride parades

Seriously, who thought up this chapter? Jervis while smoking a bong?
Remember Jervis was never that high up for 40k. Rik Preistley was always the big man. But anyway, i think the name is a reference to the Rainbow Warrior (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Warrior_(1955)) which was big in the news in the mid-late 80's.

Misha
14-05-2009, 17:29
guys you take it to europo-centric. Mabe in some parts of the world rainbow is a sign of bad omen. I can belive something like this could happen in some rural world somewhare in Imperium - Rainbow is a sign of something bad is gonna happen. If you think about it that way Rainbow warriors arent that bad a name!

yabbadabba
14-05-2009, 17:33
Seriously. :D A friend and I were just talking about stupid sounding chapter names, so of course the old fan favourite rears his fluorescent head. Has anybody ever actually used these guys?

Yes. But I have been around a long time.

t-tauri
14-05-2009, 19:26
A large quantity of homophobic, spam and offensive posts removed. Please keep on topic.

DvlDog
15-05-2009, 00:56
Well, I've got a buddy that plays rainbow warriors. They aren't Rainbow Warriors SM but they sure as hell colorful. He plays Tau and aside from his Broadside teams (who are painted gold, silver, and bronze with the leaders having rainbow banners) his entire army is painted in all the colors of the rainbow. One squad of firewarriors is speckled and with a matching devilfish, another with colored stripes and so on. This includes his stealthsuits. His reasoning is that instead of trying to be invisible they present so many colors they confused the eye.
He takes great joy in defeating people with his force as it is rather humiliating for my manly and beardy (the heads, with beards) force of Space Wolves to be taken down by pink and light green firewarriors. He recently bought an ethereal and it is painted just as colorful...with glitter! It's great to see people's reaction when they first see them and they say "rainbow tau...?" and he responds without with a smile and no explanation "Yes"
A side note that has nothing at all to do with his army being as colorful as it is with rainbow banners, he is a proud gaymer.
Next time I play him, probably within a few weeks, I'll try and get some pictures.

I know this is a little off topics of SM Rainbow Warriors, but there are other rainbow warriors in the galaxy and figured to share this with you all.

SimonL
15-05-2009, 01:21
Rainbow Warriors' color scheme is totally over-the-top and ridiculous...not like there are Barney-purple with gold edges marines (Hawk Lords) or a variety of neon colored marines that could double as Power Rangers....:rolleyes:

People think the name is too much? Ultramarines anyone? Their armour is ultramarine in colour...Is Rainbow Warriors anymore silly? :D

Epicenter
15-05-2009, 05:39

Pix or didn't happen. ;)

More on-topic: Goodness that question takes me back to like Middle School when RT came out.

Leogun_91
15-05-2009, 09:06
Rainbow Warriors' color scheme is totally over-the-top and ridiculous.Blue with a green tint, turquoise trim and rainbow stripe on helm.
I donīt find that too silly.

Ronin_eX
15-05-2009, 09:26
Rainbow Warriors' color scheme is totally over-the-top and ridiculous...not like there are Barney-purple with gold edges marines (Hawk Lords) or a variety of neon colored marines that could double as Power Rangers....:rolleyes:

People think the name is too much? Ultramarines anyone? Their armour is ultramarine in colour...Is Rainbow Warriors anymore silly? :D

I'm not sure if you're taking the **** or if you just haven't bothered looking at the myriad of sources for the Rainbow Warrior paint scheme. It is a base of dark blue with a helmet stripe the is white at the centre and goes toward orange/red at the edges. They aren't called Rainbow Warriors for their armour anymore than any other chapter (that isn't Ultramarine) is named for their paint scheme. Funny name from a eurocentric view? Yes. But the paint scheme is fairly good as far as those kinds of things go.

Cool_Mint
15-05-2009, 10:32

Photo please! :)
The only pictures I've seen of Rainbow Warriors show them as plain blue with a rainbow stripe on the helmet; in fact that would make them so plain they would not be tournament legal lacking the compulsory tri-color scheme.

However, according to the extremely old but presumably still official fluff the Chapter is multi-colored... could this be a loophole allowing a chapter to be fielded in as many different color schemes as you like?

crazywhiteboydance
15-05-2009, 12:45
I'll try & get my camera working over the weekend if that fails I'll use my phone, lol.

As for not making the tri-colour scheme? There's 4 colours in the helmet stripes on my guys, let alone the blue armour with purple hue & the gold-ish imperial eagles. More than enough for a legal colour scheme.

Cool_Mint
15-05-2009, 16:28
Does that count? I thought there had to be a different color on the shoulder pads or trim.
I look forward to seeing a photo anyway, it's been a LONG time since Rainbow Warriors have made an appearance.

SimonL
15-05-2009, 16:41
I'm not sure if you're taking the **** or if you just haven't bothered looking at the myriad of sources for the Rainbow Warrior paint scheme. It is a base of dark blue with a helmet stripe the is white at the centre and goes toward orange/red at the edges. They aren't called Rainbow Warriors for their armour anymore than any other chapter (that isn't Ultramarine) is named for their paint scheme. Funny name from a eurocentric view? Yes. But the paint scheme is fairly good as far as those kinds of things go.

Sarcasm detection fail :D

That was my point lol, that their colour is much more subdued than most chapters, and the name is only "stupid" if you fail to associate it with various native legends.

grissom2006
15-05-2009, 16:42
I'll admit i used to have one when i first started 40K lol

KtL
15-05-2009, 19:38
Photo please! :)
However, according to the extremely old but presumably still official fluff the Chapter is multi-colored... could this be a loophole allowing a chapter to be fielded in as many different color schemes as you like?

Where does that fluff come from? Even in RT days, when they were first pictured in the rule book (1987), they were a dark blue (Marine Dark Blue was the paint color) with a rainbow stripe down the center line of a beeky helm:

Like so (http://www.duckblindminiatures.com/images/rw-rt.jpg)

Cool_Mint
15-05-2009, 20:06
Where does that fluff come from? Even in RT days, when they were first pictured in the rule book (1987), they were a dark blue (Marine Dark Blue was the paint color) with a rainbow stripe down the center line of a beeky helm:

Like so (http://www.duckblindminiatures.com/images/rw-rt.jpg)

TBH I can't remember. :confused:
I do remember that I bought the Rogue Trader rulebook in 1988 and Rainbow Warriors were my favorite next to Blood Angels and I was confused when I read a copy of White Dwarf the following year that described the chapter as "multi-coloured" instead of plain blue - I suppose it must be in one of the 1989 copies of WD.

Cool_Mint
16-05-2009, 22:22
Who the hell drew this?! :wtf:
I think it would make a rather good Slaanesh color scheme actually.

finbob
16-05-2009, 23:14
SNIP....
in fact that would make them so plain they would not be tournament legal lacking the compulsory tri-color scheme. ....SNIP

Is this "tri-colour" thing new? Never heard of it before. Does this mean Chapters like DA, BA, BT and Ultramarines aren't tournament legal anymore?!

Cool_Mint
16-05-2009, 23:25
I think it's been around for a few years now; you have to have three colors on the armor, ie; blue armor, yellow aquilla, red helmet stripe. Dark Angels are green, creme (or whatever they call that color) and red.

eyeolas
17-05-2009, 16:04
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/keeper40k/Space+Marines/Captain.jpg.html

this guy's prety close to a 'rainbow' marine

Blood Wolff
17-05-2009, 22:21
In my area, I hear tales of a guy playing a rainbow army. He has them painted as the care bears, rainbows on them and their main color as pink. Most people laughed, until he wiped the floor with them. It takes gutz, and alot of bent screws, to take an army like that into battle. I've never seen them, but they have quite the rep in my area. Its like a local legend. "Those damned care bears."

Da_Killa
21-05-2009, 12:45
sound kind of lame but it actually looks alright

pookie
21-05-2009, 16:33
amazing how many people post not actually knowing who/what the actual Rainbow Warriors chapter are/look like! ( no there chapter master isnt Zippy, they dont have a chaplin called Bungle and George certainly isnt a Librarian :D)

JustTony
21-05-2009, 17:03
I have a Genestealer squad I've always called the Rainbow stealers. They showed up in a big Nid army I got off of eBay and were the only thing painted in all the plastic. There were 12 stealers, each with a different paint scheme, reds, blues, yellows, greens, one was even primarily pink. But they were all painted and the individual paint jobs were really well done so I left them alone. I always presented them as a Stealer swarm that had just eaten a particularly garish Hiver gang and were still digesting.

On the three color thing, I've always seen is as if your models have three colors painted on them somewhere, then they legal. So green armor (for say, DA), boltgun metal for the bolter and Red helmet lenses would technically be okay. I wouldn't have a problem playing against it.

Sister_Sin
21-05-2009, 17:11
A long time ago, during RT days yes, I saw a Rainbow Warriors army. I was in Hawaii at the time so it is no surprise really. I never had a problem with the Chapter or its name.

Sister Sin