PDA

View Full Version : Baneblade counts as?

cleansingfury
14-05-2009, 04:53
While writting for the new guard tactica I got to thinking. How to use a baneblade in a regualr game! *Lets the "OMG BROKEN" comments pass*

Now it would not be used as a bane balde but as 3 leman russes! So a squadron of 3 represented as 1 large model! If one russ has extra armor then they all do, and so on and so forth for all upgrades. The side sponsons are rather straight forward but remove the lascannons, then use the heavy bolter front mount has the hull weapon. With the coax autocannon being the stubbers or storm bolters. Remove the demolisher cannon and viola 3 leman russes!

If you lose one russ you lose all items that came with it and thus have a baneblade acting as 2 russes. So basically it is just one large model that has 3 russes built into it.

For templates assume that the hole can only hit one, and it gets half strength on the other two. If you assault it you assault all 3 like normal.

The only problem I see is LOS, obviously a large target, but 3 russes are too...

What are your thoughts?

SirSnipes
14-05-2009, 05:02
np wit it ere

Maxis Lithium
14-05-2009, 05:09
Sounds strange, but for friendly games, sure, why not!?! I mean, it's somthing you have to get your opponent to sign off on, but it would make for an asthetically interesting battle board.

Vaktathi
14-05-2009, 05:17
I think that's an awesome idea, and could work rather easily :D

just say the main gun has 3 shots (at normal battlecannon stats of course), and -1 for each stunned or destroyed etc. It would actually make it much more vulnerable than 3 russes that way as you couldn't game the hit allocation as much.

sic
14-05-2009, 05:24
How would you go if one of the Rus' was incapacitated? Would all 3 stop moving? Im not sure how the rules work for a squadron of Leman Russ (havent read the new dex) so it might be covered there.

I think it could get a little tricky remembering what you were supposed to be firing once weapons and Tanks start getting destroyed but as long as your book keeping skills are half decent you could make it work.

Hellebore
14-05-2009, 05:28
I can't see any ingame advantage in doing it, it would mostly be a disadvantage. What about blasts? How would they work. ie, if a blast template hit the baneblade, it hits all three LRs?

Hellebore

sic
14-05-2009, 05:39
I didnt think about blast templates that would be pain to figure out as would assualts.

I dont think its about ingame advantage, i think its about i want to field my Baneblade more.

Hellebore
14-05-2009, 05:45
I was more pointing out that as there aren't any upsides to doing it that way, he couldn't be accused of trying to get an ingame advantage, whether he was acutally trying to or not.

I would have to say though that if the LARGE blast template ended up right on top of the vehicle, for fairness sake he'd have to count all models as struck by it. Small blast templates couldn't hit more than one vehicle. If the template only partially strikes because of scatter then only one vehicle is hit.

Hellebore

genestealer_baldric
14-05-2009, 08:25
But baneblades have struture points, russes dont have as high armour all round so alot of armys will just bounce of it in a normal game unless the unload everything into it. Iam sorry but i dont think its ok unless you allow the opnet to have a superheavy stats on one of there models then you might as well play apoc.

also with russes you have 3 los with a baneblade just 1 so it may hinder rather than help

Vaktathi
14-05-2009, 08:38
But baneblades have struture points, russes dont have as high armour all round so alot of armys will just bounce of it in a normal game unless the unload everything into it. Iam sorry but i dont think its ok unless you allow the opnet to have a superheavy stats on one of there models then you might as well play apoc. I highly doubt he's using it as a structure point superheavy with BB rear armor (the only difference now), he's essentially amalgamating all 3 russ tanks into one model, operating the way the squadron rules do.

Da_Killa
14-05-2009, 12:45
use it as a imperial armour blade

precinctomega
14-05-2009, 12:53
Hmm...

I like the idea. It would take a little effort to make it work, but if you used the BB hull and added three LR turrets and the right number of side sponsons and hull-mounted weapon points you could make it run really well.

Then, if one LR is destroyed (even by being immobilized), you just shut down one turret, two sponsons and a hull-mount. If you colour code the weapons with simple dots or bars, then you can be clear on which sponsons and hull-mounts apply to which turret.

I like it.

R.

cleansingfury
14-05-2009, 21:48
But baneblades have struture points, russes dont have as high armour all round so alot of armys will just bounce of it in a normal game unless the unload everything into it. Iam sorry but i dont think its ok unless you allow the opnet to have a superheavy stats on one of there models then you might as well play apoc.

also with russes you have 3 los with a baneblade just 1 so it may hinder rather than help

I am not using structure points though. It works as though it is made up of 3 russes. Using their stats. So it is a tuss for all armor values and if you kill a russ you lose that russ's weapons.

This was my thought of bringing the baneblade into 40k, how someone would actually field it with an "honor guard" of tanks and troops.

senorcardgage
14-05-2009, 22:20
I played a guy that used a baneblade as one leman russ... In a tournament...

(Also had a hell talon as a sentinel. Go figure)

Hlokk
14-05-2009, 22:24
One thing you could try, and which I would be an advocate of, is doing a base for the baneblade with the outlines of the bottoms of three leman russ's on it (Maybe arrange static grass or something in the pattern).

You can take the baneblade off for determining ordnance, assault and all such, and plonk it back on for the rest of the game.

Best of both worlds.

massey
15-05-2009, 01:20
I like it.

For templates, remember that the hole could only be over one tank anyway.

Bregalad
15-05-2009, 08:35
I vote for Baneblade = 5 bikes. Also about the same size and rules, so no problem ;)

Sir_Turalyon
15-05-2009, 18:27
I like the idea in friendly games, certainly I would allow that. It almost makes a Baneblade worth buying.

Hellbore is right, Large Blast hits are the main problem. Indirect (hole not over model) hits probably cause just one hit. Direct large blast hit (with center over the baneblade) should inflict one hit on each Russ, one direct and up to two indirect (half strength) hits, but against what armour? Blast exploding in middle of squadron can potentialy hit one tank in side, one in front and other in rear, blast behind the squadron hits all in the rear and so on. Do we asume all hits go against the side with which baneblade faces the opponent? Or that first (direct) hit goes against original facing and other two against other two facings? Or do we roll for each indirect hit (1-2 front, 3-4 side, 5-6 rear)? With armour 14/13/10 Russes are immune to half strength hits from most weapons unles hit from behind, so determining how many hits go aginst rear armour is important.

Narf
15-05-2009, 18:32
well its only ordanance that halves the Str of the hit value, so large blast's i'd say hit 2 tanks if they hit.

Apart from that not to bad, due to the squadron rules if one is imobilised then its destroyed, is this the case even with the shiny nw guard book?

Sir_Turalyon
15-05-2009, 18:34
Yes, they are a regular vehicle squadron.