PDA

View Full Version : 20 years, 1 army

lequaye
14-05-2009, 10:29
My friend has been collecting 40k Orks since around 1988 and still does now. He has never really stopped adding to his collection and has never gone out to explore another race or game type. I really admire his dedication to the Whaaa as I have amassed 8 or 9 armies for both 40k and fantasy in that time, and his collection brings a smile to my face when ever he uses it in anger. I only really mention this because he has got some nice large glass cabinets in the last week to display them all and I have to confess it blow my mind to see them all in one place for the first time. Personally when I see a collection of models that large and with so many long forgotten OOP figures I go all weak at the knees, it's a true joy to behold.

I have only really come across this once but maybe there are more of you strong willed and loyal people out there.

Duke Georgal
14-05-2009, 11:29
I have played Bretonnia for about ten years, but I sold my first two Bretonnian armies.

It would be impressive to see them all together.

I have collected many, many other armies in this time, so I guess I don't count.

Osbad
14-05-2009, 12:01
That is quite amazing. I can't imagine collecting the models from one game system with that amount of dedication, let alone a single army! Doesn't he even get a little bored with painting green?

orkz222
14-05-2009, 12:44
Admire your friend dedication to orks, I tend to get distracted by "shiny" new models.

lequaye
14-05-2009, 12:48
I know, after all these years you would have thought he would be sick to the back teeth of painting green flesh, but if anything he's in a GW renascence at the moment and is painting more than ever. I and many friends have asked him why he only gets orks and his reply is always 'who else would I collect'???? :wtf:

He did once buy and paint a van saar necromunda gang, and went on to paint them green as well. :rolleyes:

Templar Ben
14-05-2009, 13:51
If you get a chance get some photos of that collection. That would be something to see.

lequaye
14-05-2009, 18:20
I will see what I can do :)

Tazok
14-05-2009, 18:34
I've been collecting orks for over ten years. I do have some other minis, but where I might have a few squads of IG, marines, kroot, etc, I've got over 12,000 points of Orks, half of which are fully painted. I am getting close, however, to the end of the ork run. I need to pick up a few more battlewagons and maybe some forgeworld ork vehicles, but I pretty much have multiple squads of every ork unit there is. I can field something like 4 or 5 different ork army themes (goff horde, big mek gun heavy force, dred mob, kult of speed, deffwing, etc) Of course, it will take me a couple more years to finish painting up the second half of my collection. I plan to add a squad here and there over the next few years, but I've been debating branching out into the nids soon.

xinsanityx
14-05-2009, 18:35
I know a couple of people that have been playing the same army for 10+ years and it kinda saddens me. There's so much to the 40k and WHFB unniverse and they're not experiencing it. I didn't think much of it until a friend brought it up to me, but they'd get so much more out of the game if they actually switched armies. I think they're really missing out.

After knowing these 2 people for about 5 years I also don't really like to play them anymore. It's the same thing over and over, and it's boring. I'm not the only one amongst my group that doesn't play them for this very reason. They're good, nice people, it's just boring.

razormasticator
14-05-2009, 18:38
Dark Angels since Rouge Trader era. 1989 to be exact. Although the models I had then have since been replaced.

In that time I have also owned 2 Tyranid Armies, 2 Eldar Armies, 1 Nurgle Genestealer Cult army, and 1 Tau Army.

I currently own:

About 5,000 Points in Dark Angels
About 8-10K in Imperial Guard, Vostroyans and Cadian Based Regiment
About 5,000 Points in Eldar
About 3,000 in Nids
About 3,000 in Tau

LonelyPath
14-05-2009, 18:55
I've been collecting Undead (now VC and TK) since Warhammer 2nd Edition and it's still a pet project of mine to this very day. With each update I get something added to the collection and other parts of it get stored away. The last time I broke it all out and added it up there was enough to field nearly 45,000 points spread over VC and TK (7000 points of TK). Currently it numbers in thousands of models too. It's amazing I never went made painting all that bone, lol.

The last time I really broke out a large portion of it was for a special scenario where I fielded roughly 100 black knights (along with some vampires and a borrowed unit of Blood Knights (since I refuse to pay 50 for 5 miniatures)) in a cavalry charge battle against amassed knighly orders of the Empire. A fun battle, not not one you could normally play.

I've also collected GK since they appeared as a proper army list in Slaves to Darkness and currently on my 3rd army (I collected the 2nd based on the codex in the 40k 2nd edition box). Each army has been quite different in organistaion leading me to start a fresh army each time, something I've quite enjoyed over the last 20 or so years.

Roguebaron
14-05-2009, 22:24
I've played dark elves for about 13 years now (finally rebased my blue haired witches to match my new models) and my 40k Night lords is closer to 15 years. Makes it real easy to buy I just add what's cool, and skip the stuff I don't like. If I can't field it now, I just wait for the next edition of the codex. My Night lords have been used since 2nd edition, and I still use the same models now. My biggest problem now is storage for all the stuff I've painted.

Cane
15-05-2009, 00:17
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS! :chrome:

On a semi-related note, I always wondered if there was some official record holder of the largest GW army collection.

Senbei
15-05-2009, 00:45
I tend to buy stuff and forget to paint it. Today I base coated... Thrugg Bullneck and some of his raiders. Still have the box... dated 1987. After I've painted up the 17 guys in the box, and a few extra raiders I have in a case, I will get onto the RT-01 Beakies box I have here... still in the shrink wrap, and play the RT introductory scenario. Playing the game so many editions and years out of date... Might make a habbit of it. Got a 2nd ed WFB box set here too... wonder how long it would take to get those minis? NM, 2nd ed WFB... 2015 :P

starlight
15-05-2009, 00:45
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS! :chrome:

On a semi-related note, I always wondered if there was some official record holder of the largest GW army collection.

Pics aren't going to happen. :( We have a dedicated Forum for that. :)

I've heard of collections as large as 70,000pts of Eldar in a single collection.

Off the top of my head, if everything I owned was table-ready, I have:

Forces of the Imperium
The complete Legio Phoenix Templars Chapter (at least seven full FOC - Deathwing, Ravenwing, Blood Angels Assault, Mech Marines, Horde Marines, Scout Marines, Scout Marines)
A maxed IG FOC (yes, maxed Infantry Platoons/maxed FA squadrons - 2 Sent, 1 HH/maxed HS squadrons - 1 Arty, 2 LR variants)
Unknown IG force (whatever doesn't fit in the first FOC)
Maxed FOC Horde Grey Knights
Maxed FOC Mech Sisters of Battle

Maxed FOC Harlequin-themed DEWC
Maxed FOC+ (although rather disorganised since the new book) Orks
Maxed Horde FOC Tyranids
Maxed NidZilla Tyranids (plus Trygon)
Maxed Balanced Tyranids (on top of the other two)

3+K each of Orks, Goblins, and Snotlings. :D
3+K Minotaurs (BoC)

One day I'd love to see the entire Imperial and Tyranid forces on the table... :D

BrianC
15-05-2009, 07:56
Getting it all into a game is the big problem. I'm hoping to run a very large game with all of my Marines at the local hall at some point. Play all day, then bar for the evening. :chrome:

If its measuring stick time then I've about half a chapter of (Ultra) Marines now, been busy picking up second hand stuff that needs stripping and painting over the last few months. I've complete first, second, seventh (think thats the bike company), eighth, and almost there with the tenth now. I'm only adding in the ninth (3/4s of the way there) then I'm stopping to add in more tanks, Thunderhawks and so on.

To add to the above I have about 4k of DH and another 4.5k+ of WH, and what must be over 6k of Guard now, I've not recosted that since the new codex. I would guess I could put down about 35k of Imperium.

Everything is painted bar a couple of Dreads and thirty Assault Marines, painting time been spent on Orks recently. :angel:

wraith[cs]
15-05-2009, 09:10
this summer will mark my 18th year playing Imperial Guard.

And I admit, I felt sorta upset when a ton of folks at my LGS were picking up the new Guard book and playing new armies, as I used to be the only one with a Guard army around.

They were like my babies :p

Captain Shrike
15-05-2009, 18:51
I know. They're just jumping on the band-wagon. Just like people do with every release. 75% of them will drop it though.

Vogon
15-05-2009, 19:34
I've been a WHFB Dark elf player for almost 20 years having started with a Dark Elf Bloodbowl team many moons ago. I've dabbled in other armies (orcs, chaos in all their forms including the dwarves of hashut and skaven) and even had a Tyranid foray into 40K during rogue trader and 2nd ed, but always tend to get drawn back to Dark Elves. I've steadily added to the army and have more than I could ever field in a single game.

Most of the other fantasy games I've tended to use Dark Elves as well, Man O War, Bloodbowl and even Mordheim. When Dark Eldar came out I dabbled with those as well but never really hit it off with 40K.

The band wagon jumping doesn't bother me but what does are the "newbies" who se me unpacking Dark Elves and have a go claiming I only play them because they're cheesy. The fact that I've had some of the models longer than they've been on this earth doesn't seem to enter their heads.

cheers

Vogon

Harry
15-05-2009, 19:48
20 years ... 20 armies ... 20,000 points for some of them.

This represents all of the Fanatsy armies and most of the 40K armies.

I know I need help.

Xarius
15-05-2009, 19:51
;3576675']this summer will mark my 18th year playing Imperial Guard.

And I admit, I felt sorta upset when a ton of folks at my LGS were picking up the new Guard book and playing new armies, as I used to be the only one with a Guard army around.

They were like my babies :p

the other gamers?:eek:

shadowskale
15-05-2009, 19:57
20 years ... 20 armies.

I know I need help.

3years and 10armys for me, though I have sold some during that time.
so it doest really count. but meh. I hope one day my ogre fleet can be huge and painted in 20years *sigh*

chromedog
16-05-2009, 01:43
21+ years and 2 armies. SM and Eldar (CSM, orks and guard never appealed).

Come 1998 or so, two more armies joined them, although they have since become 3 (simply by altering the command units. I still play with my 22 year old eldar minis, though, and some of my SM (I've got 150 infantry in the SM army, and 20 tanks).

20 years of collecting and painting orks, though, is dedication - or obsessive compulsion. None of my friends who started when I did still play. Most have moved on to FoW. I used to play WW2 (in 1/72 and HO scale), but moved onto 40k.

starlight
16-05-2009, 02:20
20 years of collecting and painting orks, though, is dedication - or obsessive compulsion.

There's a difference...? :p

chromedog
16-05-2009, 02:42
Not that I've noticed in some gamers.

My clubmates are compulsive bandwagon-jumpers. They'll buy up the "new" army and play it for a couple of months, lose badly (you can lose well, often brilliantly, but throwing dice/tanties is a sure sign of a bad loser) and then sell it and buy another army. Rinse and repeat.

They never get to know their army's strengths, so never get the full worth out of them. I've stuck by mine through thick and thin. Dedication is rather thin on the ground (so is tenacity).

starlight
16-05-2009, 02:51
...in most things, not just gaming...:(

wraith[cs]
16-05-2009, 09:22
the other gamers?:eek:

Naw, the Guard. :)

I'm rather sentimental about the little chaps, and a bit disgruntled now that everyone and their brother plays them.

gamble
17-05-2009, 04:59
I collected marines (Blood Angels) since i first started about 12 years ago its now at about 25000pts, i have necrons, guard and i used to do eldar but got rid of them years ago, these have never really had as much love as the marines which i still add to.

DarkMatter2
17-05-2009, 05:56
I've only got slightly over 2000 pts. of Imperial Guard, but I am in the process of building two new 2000ish pt IG armies.

I doubt very much that I will ever a) shell out the money for b) be interested in starting any other kind of WH40k army.

I would just feel like...why I am I spending this on (Space Marines, Orks, Necrons, whatever) when I could be buying more Guardsmen and tanks?

The fact that there are so many different model ranges lets me explore new aesthetics and new fluff possibilities, whilst keeping the IG style I like to play with.

Zee
17-05-2009, 07:49
Not that I've noticed in some gamers.

My clubmates are compulsive bandwagon-jumpers. They'll buy up the "new" army and play it for a couple of months, lose badly (you can lose well, often brilliantly, but throwing dice/tanties is a sure sign of a bad loser) and then sell it and buy another army. Rinse and repeat.

They never get to know their army's strengths, so never get the full worth out of them. I've stuck by mine through thick and thin. Dedication is rather thin on the ground (so is tenacity).

Same with a couple of guys at my club too

One guy decided to run 8 blood knights in 1000pts, played 2 games ( one againt me ) and never saw combat in either :D next week totally new army, I think he's had 3 armies in 3 weeks now

Templar Ben
17-05-2009, 12:15
20 years ... 20 armies ... 20,000 points for some of them.

This represents all of the Fanatsy armies and most of the 40K armies.

I know I need help.

Help painting to be sure.

Harry
17-05-2009, 14:07
Help painting to be sure.

Well I have started to make a dent in the painting.

But apparently if you paint your last mini you die.
(So I should live to be 372 approxiamately)

Never fear. I have children now who I shall start training up to complete my lifes work when I am gone. :D

Chaos and Evil
17-05-2009, 15:11
But apparently if you paint your last mini you die.

I heard whoever dies with the most miniatures... wins.

Harry
17-05-2009, 15:43
Painted or unpainted? :D

starlight
17-05-2009, 15:52
Well if it's unpainted, I'm way out there...that's good, right?

:p

I'm going for the *own as many as possible, but never paint the last one*. :D

Papa JJ
17-05-2009, 15:58
I like the 'Gamers Anonymous' quality that this thread has taken on. I've collected and painted more armies than I care to remember right now, though I tend to spend a few years focused on one at a time before switching my attention to something else. I'll still return to older armies to add to them but usually after 4000 or so points I'm ready for a change. Although I admire the discipline it takes to collect just one army for so many years, I enjoy more variety in my painting than this would seem to allow.

Chaos and Evil
17-05-2009, 16:14
Pianted or unpainted? :D

Apparently 'mint on the sprue' is best.

Harry
17-05-2009, 16:35
Well if it's unpainted, I'm way out there...that's good, right?
Yes. :D

I like the 'Gamers Anonymous' quality that this thread has taken on.

I tend to spend a few years focused on one at a time before switching my attention to something else.
Yes, of course you do. We've heard it all before. Come on pull up a chair your amongst friends.

My names Harry and I'm a miniholic.

Apparently 'mint on the sprue' is best.
Oh. I make it a rule to rip open blisters and remove stuff from sprues building and undercoating as much as I can. That way it has to get painted one day...right? :D

Serebrate
17-05-2009, 16:38
I wish I had such devotion.

I could work my way up to having a Guard army like in the spread in the old codex. Creed's 8th I believe.

lequaye
17-05-2009, 23:48
I wish I had such devotion.

I could work my way up to having a Guard army like in the spread in the old codex. Creed's 8th I believe.

If only it was real and not photoshoped ;)

chromedog
18-05-2009, 00:40

He who dies with the most miniatures is still dead.

Can I haz his stuff?
He doesn't need it anymore (being dead and all).

Vermin-thing
18-05-2009, 06:44
7 years, 9 armies. All my armies are built/almost built, but my painting is slow, maybe at the most 5% of my models are done. Thats all about to change with the price hikes though, since my buying will slow down to 20% of what It was. So that means that I might have a fully painted army in the next month or so! I'm guessing I have something like 1500 too 2000 minis. XD If I paint one mini a day, it will be maybe 3 too 5 years. >< Buy that time I will most likely be very good. (I hope so)

BLARGAG!!!
19-05-2009, 01:51
I have been playing Witch Hunters for the last 8 or 9 years now. I own at least one of everything in the codex at this point and am calling the army done. I am probably going to start another army soon, but I dont know about it.

good on him for sticking with one army for so long (longer than I have been on this earth as a matter of fact)

BLARGAG!!!

Templar Ben
19-05-2009, 13:08
I have started a second edition Ork army. I would love to see his older minis.

Quetzl
19-05-2009, 13:30
Ah mate think it's been 10 years for me. I don't know anyone whos stuck to one force like you've described, that's pretty darn special I need to see pics :D

But yeah I've got like 3 armies from my 10 year expedition.

92acclude
19-05-2009, 14:45
12 years, still playing orks. Sure a few others have flitted in but the ones to endure are the greenskins.

Captain Micha
20-05-2009, 16:30
I know someone with 12,000 points of nids... before you start talking about his forgeworld stuff.

It stuns me silent everytime I think about it.

Myself I have 2.5 K worth of Crons... used to have 1800 of tau... (I traded my kroot away because they are worthless and now I need another batch of FW)

I do have around 1850 of guard... and I don't think I can stop collecting guard.... I swear once you start collecting guard you never want to stop.

wraith[cs]
20-05-2009, 20:58
.... I swear once you start collecting guard you never want to stop.

This is the truth! Granted, I've stopped collecting now due to the prices.

Mind you, I'm rather happy with my 11,500 point army. One day I'll figure out how to cram it all into one game :)

starlight
20-05-2009, 21:12
Ditto... :(

or is that :D

:p

Warsurge
21-05-2009, 01:25
That is a long long time. I one day hope to be like that with my Space Wolves.

Chadjabdoul
21-05-2009, 13:18
17 years, only one army.
Orcs&Goblins. No miniature ever lost or wasted (apart from a painted squig, which was given as a present to an ex-girlfriend).
Wasn't really buying anything between 1998 and 2006 though.
(Also, a couple of Necromunda gangs and a Bloodbowl team (orcs again) but never a differrent army).

laudarkul
21-05-2009, 13:34
2 years. At this moment 4000 pts of IG and growing normally, 1500DH (GK) and slowly growing.
From june WE will began to have form (start painting models in 500pts batches in order to get use with the system so that at the end of the year to have at least 3500-4000 pts in order to make some different list at 2999pts).
I hope to have also maybe 500-750 WH (SoB) till the end of the year.So this are going to be my projects for the next years.

Hena
25-05-2009, 08:50
1989 I started my Space Marines and last I played 40k, the same marines they were. Though I must admit that I've practically not bought new models (ok under dozen really) since 1997 or so. I have perhaps 150 Marines with a dozen tanks and three Dreads couple of speeders and other things (like Tarantulas, Thudd Gun and Rapiers). Only annoying thing is that I picked Ultramarines as colour, since I liked blue. Go to 2000 and suddenly it's the main marine army ... not quite what I had in mind when I picked the chapter.

Same with my High Elves. They are circa 1991 or so (before the boxed set, 4th ed possibly). However I have played perhaps 3 games in this decade with WHFB so I don't know if that counts. Most of these however is from the boxed set era however. So they are "new figs" (by my standards anyway).

With epic, back in '90s I did the unthinkable and had 2 armies! Tyranids and Squats. And no, my Tyranids have not eaten my Squats! They await in boxes ready to punish non believers one day.

Nowdays I have bought second 40k army, Tau. I liked the concept and bought it second hand few years back. However Marines stay as my main army. In epic I've decided that it's better to have them all or so. So I've acquired almost all armies. I'm still missing Eldar and half of the Tau and 75% of Orks. Ah well.

Loki73
28-05-2009, 02:28
My first was space wolves...to be honest I wish I hadent sold them then 2ed modles and poses were great IMHO.

I have been playing scince 1990. So going on 20. I realized though, through collecting painting then parting that I miss my old paint jobs and armies. Now I have vowed to paint all that I have and keep it in glass cases. Would look good in my ubder geek room!

Lord of Worms
28-05-2009, 06:30
I have only really come across this once but maybe there are more of you strong willed and loyal people out there.

For a long period of my gaming life, I played only Mordheim and Necromunda. My Thousand Sons are my only "core" army and I can't ever see myself starting another. Now with apocalypse out, I'm adding cultist and traitor guard auxiliaries, with planned Super-heavies still on the drawing board. For my WIP Gothic fleet and Epic Army I am also doing Thousand Sons. This is partially because in my gaming group we focus heavily on campaigns so having all four methods of play (40k, Apocalypse, Gothic and Epic) makes truly intricate campaign options possible. I might get more demons eventually to have a viable Demon army, but I don't really consider that whole new army in the same vein as Orks or Eldar would be.

The other reason is that I quite simply can't bring myself to "start from scratch". If I add auxiliaries then I've made progress to an ongoing project, but painting my first 250pts of eldar would be too demoralizing. I would never get through the first squad with my loyal Magnus model staring down at me with hundreds of dudes in accusation and reproach.