PDA

View Full Version : I've shoehorned the borg into 40k!

arch_inquisitor
15-05-2009, 12:45
So a rough of the story I have in mind goes like this. Several groups of linked servitors goes missing, or are over looked, but either way are abandoned by the admech.

The overseer servitor ( the queen ) of one of the groups, who is brain is relatively functional other than some command function and protocol implants.
She decides to assert control over the group as whole, until the masters return.
She does this by forcing them into a larger link organizing those capable of making the alterations to each one, creating a stable link to all the servitors present, servitors being servitors, do not resist.

She finds the new link at her command powerful, dozens of minds at her disposal each one specialized and augmented. Through the eyes and ears of hundreds of augment sensors, she saw the world with more clarity than she ever could before she was changed. In that moment she no longer thinks of the admech as masters but a pale shadow of herself.

They quickly set to salvaging a ship that can take them off-world. When they arrive at a more populated world, they slowly capture and link more and more servitors, some even being released back as sleeper cells.
Soon she becomes so powerful the cities fall, being overwhelmed by massed precession attacks by their own servitors.

Any stray servitors are hunted down and linked, while the queen take things a step further and begins altering survivors into linked servitors, each one serving a function of her now growing mind.

What do you think?:angel:

Simon Sez
15-05-2009, 12:54
Someones going to do it, may as well be me...

HERETIC!!!

Mostly I like it, but I wouldn't make the Overseer Servitor overtly villainous, instead I would have had made it the gradual result of the Servitor fulfilling its duties without proper monitoring; the Ad Mech instructed the Overseer to upgrade existing Servitors to operate in a linked system, but then the Ad Mech left/were wiped out/forgot and the Overseer has quietly being upgrading any Servitors she has encountered since, discovering new upgrades from unique or superior models and gradually becoming the root of the "Servitor Problem"

Nero
15-05-2009, 14:34
...and then, during a pivotal battle to determine the fate of worlds, the queen fails her mindlock roll and the entire servitor army grinds to a halt for a turn.

Renegade servitors were explored a little in Mechanicum, although I don't think they were 'smart'. Just scavengers.

But yeah, it seems credible enough. Good job!

Ambience 327
15-05-2009, 14:46
...and then, during a pivotal battle to determine the fate of worlds, the queen fails her mindlock roll and the entire servitor army grinds to a halt for a turn.

Renegade servitors were explored a little in Mechanicum, although I don't think they were 'smart'. Just scavengers.

But yeah, it seems credible enough. Good job!

Been there, done that (http://www.geocities.com/mforish/wh40k/40k/40k_te-1.html) (2nd Edition). :D

Man, I was really bad at writing back then...

Messiah
15-05-2009, 15:19
I think its better explored as iron-men. Otherwise, its ok I guess. ;)

Condottiere
15-05-2009, 15:30
The objective is to shoehorn in Seven of Nine.

Largo
15-05-2009, 16:02
The objective is to shoehorn in Seven of Nine.

hehehehhehehehehehehehhehehe, as Peter Griffin would say :p

Rirekon
15-05-2009, 16:07
Mechanicum references hordes of "wild" servitors, so not a massive stretch to be honest

Mannimarco
15-05-2009, 16:11
i can just picture a space marine shove a bolter in the borg servitors face and say adapt to this

SimonL
15-05-2009, 16:23
Seriously, aren't Necrons just the 40k version of the Borg?

Eerie green glow? Check
Super advanced technology? Check
Phase out when destroyed? Check
Slow plodding advance? Check
Adaptive armour? Check
Mindless automatons? Check
Dormant warriors in alcoves? Check
Ridiculously tough starships? Check
Personal teleportation? Check

Cool_Mint
15-05-2009, 16:24
Is someone suggesting that servitors may have been a "tribute" to the Borg on Star Trek?
I suppose perhaps there is a tiny passing resemblance - purely coincidental..

Scion of Ferrus
15-05-2009, 16:33
Good Idea, apart from the Mindlock disadvantage.

arch_inquisitor
16-05-2009, 00:16
I've considered the mindlock issue, but I've seen examples in the fluff for more independent servitors and the mindlink thing was well established in mechanicum.

How it all comes about is still up in the air, this is just a rough out of the story anyway.

I'm leaning towards the suggestion that these are leftover servitors from an attack on a admech world, and that the unchecked production and linking of so many servitors creates a sort of hive mind.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kiras of the flame
16-05-2009, 00:53
All I can really say is...

Picard:*facepalm*

Mannimarco
16-05-2009, 23:06
linking technology to increase intellegence isnt to far fetched, the tau (prepares to duck the flames) already link their drones together, increasing their reasoning ability, IIRC 4 of them have the problem solving abilities of a terrasquirel!

Empire
17-05-2009, 02:14
I hate what the team behind Star Trek did to the Borg. Mutilation does not describe it well enough; they transformed from a powerful threat that assimilated technology and cared jack about the aliens using that tech, and turned into space vampires that turned other people into space vampires using fangs on their fingers. The Borg got a queen, because obviously it was completely necessary... Not.

Khaine's Messenger
17-05-2009, 05:39
What do you think?:angel:

I like to think the Borg started out more as a cultural movement towards self-improvement through mechanization and de-individuation than as a fallen autocrat's slave uprising. And they just love stealing technology to continue this process. As such, the Borg have more in common with the tech-priest masters of the Adeptus Mechanicus than their servitor minions. Tech priests already surrender their flesh to the Machine God willingly. What is individuality really worth to them when you get right down to it?

Not to say they wouldn't induct servitors into the fold. Someone has to do the heavy lifting.

Re: the queen--I'm not a fan of a queen. A specially designated member of the collective that speaks with their voice, perhaps. But any "spark" of individuality is caused more by the fact that communication between all members of the collective will be far too inefficient to reach a consensus on anything. I missed a lot of Trek's explanation of the Queen, though.

Cool_Mint
17-05-2009, 06:29
I hate what the team behind Star Trek did to the Borg. Mutilation does not describe it well enough; they transformed from a powerful threat that assimilated technology and cared jack about the aliens using that tech, and turned into space vampires that turned other people into space vampires using fangs on their fingers. The Borg got a queen, because obviously it was completely necessary... Not.

I agree 100%. The final insult was on DS9 when one of the characters mentioned in regard to negotiatians there was a Borg contingent on board... Borg on the station for canapés and a chat? WTF were they thinking?!

Hrw-Amen
17-05-2009, 16:38
The way technology is moving at the moment I have an uneasy feeling that we may all turn into Borg, (Or servitors / Admech.) without actually realising it until it is too late.

Personaly though I liked the scene with the borg queen and Data, it remains one of my favourite female alien encounters of all time.

Thanatos_elNyx
17-05-2009, 17:46
On the original idea, its pretty cool. Look forward to seeing some Daemon-possessed borg.

I agree 100%. The final insult was on DS9 when one of the characters mentioned in regard to negotiatians there was a Borg contingent on board... Borg on the station for canapés and a chat? WTF were they thinking?!

I'm pretty sure that never happened! Can you state your source please?

Condottiere
17-05-2009, 17:55
The way technology is moving at the moment I have an uneasy feeling that we may all turn into Borg, (Or servitors / Admech.) without actually realising it until it is too late.
We won't realize it.

Sir_Turalyon
17-05-2009, 18:23
I've been thinking about it once, and I still think like my version better: a paranoid radical Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor believes Imperium is facing multiple hidden enemies and conspiracies. When his suspicions are turned down by practicaly all other Inquisitors, he decides to save the Imperium single-handly - with band of renegade Techpriests he requisitions a penal legion and converts it into a legion of servitors, linked into a collective mind and programed to protect and serve the vision of Imperium he believes in, and of course to expand / maintian itself. Short time after it was activated the collective decided it's creators are unreliable and assimilated them to improve their efficiency. Since then the collective mind is lurking the galaxy, striking at random targets it percieves as part of conspiracy or danger to the Imperium, assimilating Imperial citizens and resources to futher it's needs and not for a moment stoping to think if it's hard-wired objectives make sense.

In fact, the servitors and hive mind are little unneccessary here, as Imperium has technology to simply wipe and reprogram the mind of person. An Inquisitors net of mind-wiped covert operators which absorbed it's master and turned into conspiration of memory-cleansed agents answering to no one, believing themselves to have inquistional mandate and maintaining their numbers by taking people from the streets and reprograming them seems even more interesting... especially in Dark Heresy. Hmm... I think it's time ofr another campaign.

Nero
17-05-2009, 20:27
We won't realize it.

Aren't you, like... realizing it right now? I mean, you know it's happening. You have knowledge of it's occurrence.

That would be realization in my book.

Hrw-Amen
17-05-2009, 20:31
Yes, I realise it, but I am not sure that the majority of humans do, or if they do that they even care.

Even i think that to a degree it has advantages, but I would not want to be a mindless servitor, I would want to remain an individual.

Nero
17-05-2009, 23:27
Why would you become a mindless servitor? You're still thinking like an individual; like you'd be a single mind trapped with a bunch of other minds that could overrule you and make your body do anything!

That's not the case. There wouldn't be individual minds. There would just be YOU. You would be everyone. Every decision that was made would be yours. Every thought and idea would be your own. You'd still have control over your own body, and everyone else's to boot.

Instant access to the sum total of all human knowledge, prescience of every activity happening on earth at any time, and an intellectual mind far outstripping the greatest geniuses to grace the earth are added bonuses.

But enough amateur pseudo-philosophical crap, let's make some more innuendo involving 7of9 and shoehorns!