PDA

View Full Version : Loyalists in the Traitor Legions?

Ertle
16-05-2009, 04:20
So I was bored and looking around lexicanum when i stumbled on the stuff on Nathaniel Garro and the other loyalists at Istvaan 3. Looking further it notes that the Second company of the Death Guard were also loyalists. Now besides Garro what would have happened to any surviving Loyalists from the Traitor legions after the Heresy?

Gutlord Grom
16-05-2009, 04:26
Most of the Loyalists in the Traitor Legions died in the Istavaanian campaigns. However, I would imagine a few desperate individuals, squads or companies making scattered last stands across Traitor Legion territory when the Heresy began. There may have been a few scattered Loyalists survivors who made it back to Loyalists space, but I'd also imagine they were killed on sight as believe3d spies.

Lord-Caerolion
16-05-2009, 07:31
Well, other than the "original" Traitor Legions, the other Legions took their treatment by the Emperor much more personally, if that makes sense. We have the Iron Warriors, who I very much doubt had any respect for the Emperor. We have the Word Bearers, who as again, didn't like the Emperor at all. The Alpha Legion fell for their own reason (see Legion). And lastly we have the Night Lords, who were partially unstable, recruited criminals, and also felt betrayed by the Emperor (see Lord of the Night). So I doubt we'd see any loyalists in any of those Legions.

Urath
16-05-2009, 13:39
The Iron Warriors didn't hate the Emperor, they just felt that for all of the brutal sieges, bloody trench warfare, monotonous and continual campaigns with litterally no lulls in fighting of the methodical manner their legion was stereotyped for, that they didn't gain the respect they deserved.

Horus kept the legion fighting, always. They were split up and attached to different Expeditionary Fleets just for brutal gritty fighting that the other legions wouldn't touch.

Split up and scattered across the galaxy without appreciation and, what's worse, Peturabo's brother primarchs didn't trust him because of his uber enginerring skills AND Rogal Dorn berrating his brother constantly while remaining one of the Emperor's faviourite sons.

The Iron Warriors just began to enjoy the killing and when Olympia revolted, it just added shame to the disrespect. Falling on the planet and butchering the traitors the Iron Warriors were, afterward, genuinly disturbed at what they'd done. But by then, the damage had been done.

malika
16-05-2009, 14:08
I guess the Word Bearers purged their ranks when they turned. Of course in a more subtle manner than publicly killing them of course!

Urath
16-05-2009, 14:48
There is a short story in "Tales of Heresy" called "Scions of the Storm" where

Lorgar reveals he wrote the Lecticio Divinitatus and that he is working on "a literary work to surpass that", namely the Book of Lorgar. In this story, there is a Word Bearer Captain who we clearly expect to remain loyalist, but even he submits to Lorgar and Erebus.

So we can assume the entirety of the Legion turned to Chaos.

malika
18-05-2009, 07:43
I hope that's not the kind of argumentation you use at school/uni. ;) If I recall correctly the story was about some captain conquering some world and then after that Lorgar kind of tells him that the Legion now worships something else.

Sol (the name of the captain) was a clear Traitor in the Horus Heresy Collected Vision. But then again...according to that book Torgaddon was also a Traitor...

Urath
18-05-2009, 18:20
I haven't read the "Collected Visions" so I wouldn't know about that ;). Well, I'm generalising heavily here, I know that, but I just find it hard to believe any Word Bearers would remain loyal to the Emperor. Hell, their Chaplains turned along with Lorgar.

malika
18-05-2009, 20:00
Sorry if I sounded like a smart ass up there (re-read the post and I did sound kinda cocky, sorry!) However, I do think that some would remain loyal. If they all studied religion and such, and all of a sudden their Primarch would say to worship the exact opposite of what they did first, there would be some elements who wouldn't follow him. Imagine the Pope going to all the priests and such and telling them that from now on they will all worship Satan. I doubt all followers would accept that so easily. There would be some dissidents, who of course need to be purged.

Or Lorgar already did that before announcing the switch to the rest of his Legion. It might even be that figures such as Kor Phaeron and Erebus already did that before convincing Lorgar into worshipping Chaos.

Urath
18-05-2009, 20:48
Hmm, but at this period of time Chaos wasn't well known. Even amongst the Space Marine Legions. Lorgar was known to be a master orator, thus swaying worlds to the "Imperial Truth" and it would all hinge on how he described Chaos, his interpretation of it.