PDA

View Full Version : Ogryns / Ratlings & other humans?

Hrw-Amen
17-05-2009, 16:49
I was wondering how big a human has to be in order to be called an Ogryn or how small to be a rartling?

I relaise that changes take place on planets with different gravity and conditions which over generations has brought about a change in build and appearance as well as to a degree inteligence.

However if a regular human family was posted to a planet that had these type of adaptations in the gene pool how long would it have to be before these attributes began to appear in the children of the new settlers. Say for example a regimental commander or a Commisar sent to oversee the induction of a new ogryn regiment, or even an Imperial Govenor.

Would children who had been second or third generations be considered to be ogryns, even if they were essentially human but maybe 7 or 8 feet tall? For that matter how about a particularly short ogryn of say just 6 or 7 feet, (If one had been fighting off world for a number of years and had a child born during campaign.) would they be looked upon as a a regular human even if they had ogryn level inteligence?

In short I guess the question is, how unhuman does an abhuman have to be before they are no longer considered human in the strictest sence?

monkeymatt
17-05-2009, 16:55
I'm pretty sure that Ogryns never fight on a planet for a very long time, They don't seem to be the type to Siege someone or to be Sieged by someone...They seem to be the type that would smash in and kill all or die trying...

Condottiere
17-05-2009, 17:13
If they are a part of an IG unit, they may not have a choice in the matter. Unlike normal humans, my feeling is that units of ratlings, orgryns and other abhumans are not likely to either survive long enough to populate a settlement at the end of their term of service, nor be in sufficient numbers to maintain a viable population if they do survive. Which may be just as the Imperium prefers it.

Maidel
17-05-2009, 17:22
Well it took 38,000 years (give or take 10K years) to warp them into what they are now - so, id say in any given generations life span - you wouldnt become abhuman by living on that planet.

Col. Tartleton
17-05-2009, 20:03
The explained phenomina that produce the abhumans wouldn't do what they say.

An Ogryn as shown would never form. If they needed to be as hulking as they are humans wouldn't survive there to begin with.

Now giant humans I can accept, this would need a relatively hot (or cold) oxygen rich environment with lots of food and would allow for tall, strong, humans to grow. The cold environment would produce a more chubby and sturdy one, the hot environment would produce a leaner one with large surface area and dark skin of course. Pretty much you'd a eugenics program, and either a Steppe or Savanna. With a good supply of food, dangerous predators, and large herbivores. Hot world would produce a race of people the size and build of Shaq, cold planet would provide a race of Andre the Giant (but better genetics as he was suffering)

Ratlings would emerge also through eugenics on an arid world. Halflings would be swarthy and dark haired their disproportionately large feet would be adapted for crossing sand dunes.

Maidel
17-05-2009, 22:05
The explained phenomina that produce the abhumans wouldn't do what they say.

You mean the science in 40K doesnt work.

:wtf:

And there was me thinking that lazer guns could 'bounce' and create recoil and all that other stuff.

Sorry - had to say it. :D

Col. Tartleton
18-05-2009, 00:23
Everyone Knows that Lasguns have recoil, they also go nuclear when you shoot a shield generator.

^The Truth

NightrawenII
18-05-2009, 11:32
Everyone Knows that Lasguns have recoil, they also go nuclear when you shoot a shield generator.

^The Truth

And Padishah-Imperator is guarded by fanatical superwarriors recruited from nuclear world.

grissom2006
18-05-2009, 14:30
theres more to being a ratling than being small

Bergioyn
18-05-2009, 17:25
theres more to being a ratling than being small

Indeed. Having big hairy (and smelly) feet and eating 3 lunches a day.