View Full Version : slicing orbs

hard94
17-05-2009, 23:04
hi
who are they?

Maidel
17-05-2009, 23:07
Eldar aspect warriors.

and that pretty much sums up the entire information on the subject.

Quetch
17-05-2009, 23:13
little know aspect shrine. Only present on one craft world I believe

Sirroelivan
18-05-2009, 00:02
Full name is "Slicing Orbs of Zandros" (I think, read it in the eldar release WD), not sure what Zandros refers to though.

DapperAnarchist
18-05-2009, 00:25
The Slicing Orbs appear in the Codex Imperialis, as an example of the various Aspects not featured in the rules.

On Zandros itself

928.M41 - Arha and Karandras, opposed Phoenix Lords of the Striking Scorpions, duel for seventeen days in the ruin of ancient Zandros
appears in the Time of Ending timeline in 5th ed Rulebook.

azazel_fallenangel
18-05-2009, 14:04
So Zandros is a planet, I'd always assumed he was the first Slicing Orb or something.

DapperAnarchist
18-05-2009, 14:55
Not necessarily a planet, but a location. Craftworld, maybe. And likely depopulated.

NightrawenII
18-05-2009, 15:07
My bet is on pre-fall city.
in the ruin of ancient Zandros dont indicate a Craftworld.

Radium
18-05-2009, 15:08
My bet is on pre-fall city.
in the ruin of ancient Zandros dont indicate a Craftworld.

Why not? "Eldrad, the greatest seer of ancient Ulthwé", seems pretty possible to me...

I've always thought/believed zandros to be a craftworld. Also, the aspect shrines were created after the Fall, and are limited to craftworlders, wouldn't it therefore make sense to be a craftworld?

DapperAnarchist
18-05-2009, 15:11
Pre-fall city goes against the Orbs being an Aspect though... And potential Craftworld Zandros could be more than 10000 years old (seeing as Craftworlds launched long before the fall, originally as trading vessels, hence CRAFTworld), and ruined. But yeah, Pre-Fall city would be cool.

Rockerfella
18-05-2009, 16:42
Seventeen days though? Thats some duel. See, wouldn't a little more info on that be great?

Instead, there's nothing. Just a crap throwaway line.

Bummer!

NightrawenII
18-05-2009, 16:46
Why not? "Eldrad, the greatest seer of ancient Ulthwé", seems pretty possible to me...

I've always thought/believed zandros to be a craftworld. Also, the aspect shrines were created after the Fall, and are limited to craftworlders, wouldn't it therefore make sense to be a craftworld?

ancient Zandros isnt the important part, the ruins of are. This indicate something ruined and for me is strange for Craftworld to be in ruins.

Pre-fall city goes against the Orbs being an Aspect though... And potential Craftworld Zandros could be more than 10000 years old (seeing as Craftworlds launched long before the fall, originally as trading vessels, hence CRAFTworld), and ruined. But yeah, Pre-Fall city would be cool.

The pre-fall part. Sorry if I wasnt clear. I mean a Eldar city with origins dating back before Fall. After Fall the city was (with the craftworlds) the one of the centres of the Eldar race, founding a Aspect Shrines, adopting the Path system but after centuries the Eldar abandoned the city for >insert random reason<.

Rockerfella
18-05-2009, 16:48
ancient Zandros isnt the important part, the ruins of are. This indicate something ruined and for me is strange for Craftworld to be in ruins. I guess though, with dwindling populations, its possible that in ten thousand years there are large areas of craftworlds that are uninhabited and in ruins. Look at Eldar Prophecy, for example.

Is it possible Zandros was an area of a craftworld? A district? An ancient city maybe?

Elvani
18-05-2009, 16:55
Slicing Orbs? What are they, like, Obese Eldar? Covered in sharp pieces of Wraithbone or something? Rolling about to cause maximum damage maybe?

Really, it just doesn't make any sense...

A 17 day duel... pretty epic stuff. But how do the imperium know of it? Surely any observers would have been killed pretty quickly?

Rockerfella
18-05-2009, 17:00
Something to do with the type of weapon they used, if i remember rightly. Soem kind of hideous swinging blade that looks like an orb on a chain? Something like that.

I dunoo.... can't quite remember the exact details.

Elvani
18-05-2009, 17:02
Something to do with the type of weapon they used, if i remember rightly. Soem kind of hideous swinging blade that looks like an orb on a chain? Something like that.

I dunoo.... can't quite remember the exact details.

I'm intruiged. Anymore information would be appreciated.

What sense do you use "Hideous" in?

Radium
18-05-2009, 17:03
ancient Zandros isnt the important part, the ruins of are. This indicate something ruined and for me is strange for Craftworld to be in ruins.

I don't really see why a craftworld cannot be ruined... Apparently marines can crush a craftworld without significant losses nowadays.

And more to the point:

Some, such as the weirdly terrifying Slicing Orbs of Zandros, are confined to a single shrine in only one Craftworld
Emphasis mine.

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-05-2009, 18:07
Doesn't really mean anything thought. Especially with the way Eldar names work and with Slicing Orbs of Zandros obviously being a (probably) dodgy Imperial translation of the Eldar name.

It's perfectly possible, maybe even probable that they are named after some place/character/creature in legends. Just like the Falcons name have mythological references based on the falcon in Eldar myths.

de Selby
18-05-2009, 18:23
Difficult to imagine a slicing orb (and I think the lack of detail is deliberate). If I were going for a home-brew interpretation I'd guess a weapon like a bolas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolas) with a harlequin's kiss type filament for doing the slicing.

Poseidal
18-05-2009, 19:39
A 17 day duel... pretty epic stuff. But how do the imperium know of it? Surely any observers would have been killed pretty quickly?

Probably one of them left some graffiti:

"Karandras was here. Ahrha is a loser."

NightrawenII
18-05-2009, 20:04
I don't really see why a craftworld cannot be ruined... Apparently marines can crush a craftworld without significant losses nowadays.

And more to the point:

Emphasis mine.

Ok. I checked my copy of CI and you are right the Zandros is Craftworld.

Goruax
18-05-2009, 20:27
The 17 days could have been them stalking each other too.
Their (joint) aspects does promote hunting and stealth skills so it isn't much of a stretch.

DapperAnarchist
18-05-2009, 22:03
I would imagine that the duel was lots of sneaking, brief blurs of fight, back off, sneak, fight for an hour or two, sneak.... Interesting that Arha is "Rival Phoenix Lord", which implies that if he is the Dark Father, its not all he is.

Rockerfella
18-05-2009, 23:43
They were very different scorpion Lords though, weren't they. Karandras has all that 'stealth and patience of the hunter' type thing going on, where as Ahra was somewhat of a madman, filled with rage and fury, etc etc.

I guess Ahra was equally capable of the stealth side of things, when he wanted to, but I think it would have been an interesting duel in terms of approach.

Maidel
18-05-2009, 23:47
They were very different scorpion Lords though, weren't they. Karandras has all that 'stealth and patience of the hunter' type thing going on, where as Ahra was somewhat of a madman, filled with rage and fury, etc etc.

I guess Ahra was equally capable of the stealth side of things, when he wanted to, but I think it would have been an interesting duel in terms of approach.

Interresting - I always got the impression that ahra started of 'sane' and kinda got carried away. So to start with maybe he was more stealthy and less 'killy-killy'

DapperAnarchist
19-05-2009, 01:38
Yeah, he "burns with the Dark light of Chaos", and Eldar don't start Chaosy - especially not aspect warriors. Though he could have been like Night Haunter - not Chaos, to start with, but still a bit a mental...

Raxmei
19-05-2009, 03:35
I imagine the weapon of the Slicing Orbs to be similar to a monowhip. Eldar are known to use monowire technology, so that isn't terribly farfetched. The weighted ball at the end is the Orb and the monowire does the Slicing. Combat would look like the warrior swinging a seemingly empty handle around while a ball flies around the air around him and people who get too close fall apart without being stricken by either. That's just speculation, of course.

All that's really known is that they are a very uncommon kind of aspect warrior, are in some way connected with something called Zandros, and are "wierdly terrifying".

kikkoman
19-05-2009, 07:16
Web of Skulls is what comes to mind. it slices, it crushes, web of skulls! How sad it's gone in the current codex

as for 17 days... well there's lots of time to be taken in monologues and increasing their power levels.

Hellebore
19-05-2009, 08:06
Karandras is said to have TEMPERED the murderous nature of his predessor with the patience of the hunter.

This pretty clearly says that the Scorpions were more khorne berserkers and less predator under Arha, switching MO with the change of lord.

It's not hard to come up with new types of aspect warriors. Just count them as a type that already exists.

For example:

Rending Tigers
As the tiger of old these aspects pounce on their enemies and tear them to pieces before they can react. They wear tiger claw fighting gloves, flexible gauntlets with deadly powered blades along the fingers and shuriken pistols mounted in a vambrace. Their armour incorporates an anti grav generator allowing them to leap extremely quickly on the enemy before they have a chance to react.

Count as howling banshees. tiger claws = power sword and shuriken pistol. anti grav harness = banshee mask (pouncing on the enemy before they can react/screaming in their face so they can't react).

Storm Riders
They ride anti grav hover boards and carry shuriken glaives. The shuriken glaive is a polearm mounting a modified short range shuriken weapon in it. Counts as shining spears. Hover boards = jetbike, shuriken glaive = both twin linked shuriken catapults and laser lance (two different methods of firing).

The problem is that ingame, the aspects that already exists cover most of the nuances of combat (such as there are in a limited rules system like 40k). Thus creating another close combat unit will either make it identical to banshees or scorpions or better than both, negating the point of the former.

Hellebore

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-05-2009, 08:35
Yeah, there isn't a whole lot of options left for ingame application of new aspect units. All they really need to do is give Warp Spiders there (Heavy) Flamer templates back and they are set.

NightrawenII
19-05-2009, 09:39
Well, i thought the slicing orbs have been equiped with grenade launchers, loaded with frag grenades. This cover the slicing orb, but not the wierdly terrifying.

slasher
19-05-2009, 10:24
Specialiesd granades with air vaines on them so they make as screaming sound when going through the air......

Chaos Undecided
19-05-2009, 10:40
Name makes me think of an old horror film called Phantasm, wouldnt be the first time the design team had borrowed an idea from somewhere else.

Messiah
19-05-2009, 13:10
Ive always pictured them as akin to Tira from Soul Calibur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tira_(Soulcalibur)).

GraveGuard
19-05-2009, 16:24
Well i've got a few ideas about Slicing Orbs as weapons. They could be similar to:
A Ball with the circular blade attached to a chain as used by GoGo in Kill Bill - perhaps multiple ones lashed together into a Flail type weapon.
Grenades either thrown or launched also with blades in them.
Hell they could even be weird floating spheres ala Servo Skulls that saround and move round the warrior and cane be used as something akin to remote control drones.

Of course if we were to get away from them being a weapon and instead perhaps some sort of vehicle - skimmer that the Warrior rides- think those disk flying things from the film the Invincibles.

kikkoman
19-05-2009, 17:37
Well i've got a few ideas about Slicing Orbs as weapons. They could be similar to:
A Ball with the circular blade attached to a chain as used by GoGo in Kill Bill - perhaps multiple ones lashed together into a Flail type weapon.
Hell they could even be weird floating spheres ala Servo Skulls that saround and move round the warrior and cane be used as something akin to remote control drones.

Of course if we were to get away from them being a weapon and instead perhaps some sort of vehicle - skimmer that the Warrior rides- think those disk flying things from the film the Invincibles.

combine them all together, the Slicing ORbs ride around in flying slicing discs surrounded by floating slicing orbs that launch slicing grenades while they swing slicing flails of slicing orbs

IG commander- "how would you describe them private?"
guardsman- "th..they were weirdly terrifying, sir."

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
19-05-2009, 18:21
IG commander- "how would you describe them private?"

"As a matter of fact, sir, I found them rather slicey."

ChaosBeast
19-05-2009, 18:50

my interpretation would be a thrown ball with two sharp chainblades that has a motor inside, burrowing into and up the victims body and going up through the head

pointyteeth
21-05-2009, 21:26
They could be something like the Toclafane from Doctor Who. Eldar who have intered themselves into basket ball sized mechanical spheres with retracting blades & short ranged weaponry.

Just a thought

Tarquinn
22-05-2009, 08:55
Seventeen days though? Thats some duel. See, wouldn't a little more info on that be great?

Instead, there's nothing. Just a crap throwaway line.

Bummer!

Well, true to their aspect, most of that time was probably spent hiding from and stalking each other. :p

Edit: Beaten.

Poseidal
22-05-2009, 09:15
Well, true to their aspect, most of that time was probably spent hiding from and stalking each other. :p

Edit: Beaten.

'cause in the game, he [Karandras] wouldn't last one round of combat against himself!

Killgore
22-05-2009, 10:10
I like the idea of the Slicing Orbs aspect being Eldar telekenticaly moving killer Orbs of energy that slice nearby targets

There is so much potentual for inventing weird and wonderful aspect warrior shrines, id love a future codex to have a 'build it your self' aspect warrior entry

Lord Malorne
22-05-2009, 10:13
Somthing like that killgore was in Scryed, he has several small balls he controled with his mind to some succes.

Messiah
22-05-2009, 12:13
Many of you are saying that the "slicing orb" would be their weapon, I contend that its probably more to do with their strategy and describes what they do. The fact of the matter is not many aspect shrines are named after their weapons, or even how they look:

Dire Avengers - shuriken catapults - more describes what they do (avengers - counterstrike)
Howling banshees - power weapon & shuriken pistol - more describes what they do (howling + banshees - need I say more)
Fire dragons - fusion gun - here we actually have an aspect that uses fire for weapons, though not literally
Shining spears - jetbike & laser lance - while the lance is almost a spear, I would contend the jetbike is as much a spear in the naming of this aspect
Striking scorpions - chainsword & shuriken pistol & mandiblasters - they dont use scorpions to kill people, another aspect that describes what they do
Swooping hawks - lasblaster & grenades & wings - neither do these use hawks to kill people, it describes what they do
Warp spiders - death spinner & jump generator - They dont throw spiders at people, they look like one, and shoot nets, describes what they do

Now we dont have any idea what the slicing orbs look like, but considering the other aspects, I would say "slicing orbs" has less to do with their weapon, and more to do with how they operate.

Hellebore
22-05-2009, 12:23
They curl into a foetal ball and rock backward and forward saying 'don't slice me, don't slice me.' ? :p

Perhaps they work like Puck from X-men? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puck_(comics)

Except they are covered in slicy blades and use an anti grav belt?

Hellebore

Fixer
22-05-2009, 12:25
Somehow I imagine Eldar warriors with deadly yo-yos.

I'm sure that's been done in more than a few kung fu movies or maybe a James Bond movie somewhere.

Poseidal
22-05-2009, 12:29
Mamiya in Fist of the North Star had bladed yo-yos.

I always imagined they ride floating balls, while using disks or blades to throw and fight the enemies with.

gitburna
22-05-2009, 15:02
a long time ago in 2nd edition i designed my own aspct warriors (as many people did)

My slicing orbs were basically a bit like the warp spiders. I had mine firing "grenades" which operated a bit like the Lament Configuration Box in Hellraiser, monofilament wire with barbs on it and a hallucinogen core which projected wierd visions into peoples minds while they struggle in the wire. They had a very similar weapon released as part of the Dark Eldar range to the one i had thougt up, i think it was called Animus Vita.

I imagined them to look something like a cross between the dark reapers and the warp spiders. Perhaps the idea could be worked on a bit more to have the "wierdly terrifying" as part of their outfit, a bit like the holomasks of the harlequins, while firing off the "slicing orbs" from their grenade weapons

DapperAnarchist
22-05-2009, 15:10
Many of you are saying that the "slicing orb" would be their weapon, I contend that its probably more to do with their strategy and describes what they do. The fact of the matter is not many aspect shrines are named after their weapons, or even how they look:

Dire Avengers - shuriken catapults - more describes what they do (avengers - counterstrike)
Howling banshees - power weapon & shuriken pistol - more describes what they do (howling + banshees - need I say more)
Fire dragons - fusion gun - here we actually have an aspect that uses fire for weapons, though not literally
Shining spears - jetbike & laser lance - while the lance is almost a spear, I would contend the jetbike is as much a spear in the naming of this aspect
Striking scorpions - chainsword & shuriken pistol & mandiblasters - they dont use scorpions to kill people, another aspect that describes what they do
Swooping hawks - lasblaster & grenades & wings - neither do these use hawks to kill people, it describes what they do
Warp spiders - death spinner & jump generator - They dont throw spiders at people, they look like one, and shoot nets, describes what they do

Now we dont have any idea what the slicing orbs look like, but considering the other aspects, I would say "slicing orbs" has less to do with their weapon, and more to do with how they operate.

Each of these is an Aspect of the War God Khaine, a way he's viewed... so does one temple worship him as a fat bloke with slicey bits?

kikkoman
22-05-2009, 15:21
I contend that its probably more to do with their strategy and describes what they do

hm...

They're aspect warriors with a distinct razor cascade that goes down their back. Such is their armor that they can curl into a ball, build up immense inertial energy, then blast off with extreme speed, tearing through the enemy.
They represent Khaine's arrogance and competitive spirit.

Their shrine color is blue, with red feet.

Poseidal
22-05-2009, 15:23
a long time ago in 2nd edition i designed my own aspct warriors (as many people did)

My slicing orbs were basically a bit like the warp spiders. I had mine firing "grenades" which operated a bit like the Lament Configuration Box in Hellraiser, monofilament wire with barbs on it and a hallucinogen core which projected wierd visions into peoples minds while they struggle in the wire. They had a very similar weapon released as part of the Dark Eldar range to the one i had thougt up, i think it was called Animus Vita.

I imagined them to look something like a cross between the dark reapers and the warp spiders. Perhaps the idea could be worked on a bit more to have the "wierdly terrifying" as part of their outfit, a bit like the holomasks of the harlequins, while firing off the "slicing orbs" from their grenade weapons
Oh man, you were a lot more imaginative than I was back then.

I had the Preying Mantis. They were.... Striking Scorpions that were all equipped with Power Fists. Their Phoenix Lord (!) had a Scatter Laser. FOR NO REASON!

My second were the Flying Wyverns, but they ended up as just Shining Spears with Jump Packs rather than Jetbikes.