PDA

View Full Version : Salamanders Fluff Help

Warsurge
18-05-2009, 00:56
So currently I am looking at collecting a Salamander army but I am a bit stumped on the fluff. I have read alot of Salamanders history but some say it went this way and some say it went that way. I would greatly appriciate it if you could help me out.

Do the Salamanders live a "normal" life like the White Scars living amongst the civilians?
Did Vulkan have a African skin tone before he landed on Nocturne or was he burnt black when he arrived on Nocturne because of the radiation and heat?
Are the Salamanders and the civilians of Nocturne African or black because of radiation and the heat?
How come the Salamanders are in such short numbers?
Did Vulkan die at Isstvan V or did he still live and then disappeared?

Thanks very much for reading,

Warsurge

Neftus
18-05-2009, 02:08
Do the Salamanders live a "normal" life like the White Scars living amongst the civilians?

They live amongst them and visit their families, but they're still Marines so I wouldn't call their lives "normal."

Did Vulkan have an African skin tone before he landed on Nocturne or was he burnt black when he arrived on Nocturne because of the radiation and heat?

I'm not sure how they rationalized Vulkan's skin tone, because the inhabitants evolved their skin tones and eye colors. Vulkan might not even be black ;)

Are the Salamanders and the civilians of Nocturne African or black because of radiation and the heat?

Yes, they're black skinned because they adapted to the environment of Nocturne after a long time of inhabiting it.

I'm not sure, but I assume it is because they only recruit on Nocturne which is a brutal world with a small population due to low survival rates (small pop relative to other imperial worlds)

Who cares, once He'Stan finds all Vulkan's missing bling not even a Chaos God will be able to stop all his special rules.

Tonberry
18-05-2009, 18:31

See: Isstvan

:)

brother arkio
18-05-2009, 22:22
As far as i know only the Salamanders are allowed to have families.

khorne808
20-05-2009, 06:55
So currently I am looking at collecting a Salamander army but I am a bit stumped on the fluff. I have read alot of Salamanders history but some say it went this way and some say it went that way. I would greatly appriciate it if you could help me out.

Did Vulkan have a African skin tone before he landed on Nocturne or was he burnt black when he arrived on Nocturne because of the radiation and heat?

Thanks very much for reading,

Warsurge

dude from the looks of the new codex their a scary black very scary black like a charcol black.

and are you playing for a fluff army or fluff back round?

Fixer
20-05-2009, 11:23
Khorne 808, how come you have a rank of my miniatures in your avatar? :S

Anyhow, the question to whether or not Vulkan is still alive? We know only that he took a nuclear bomb to the face at Istvaan V and that he was still active enough after to oppose the breaking up of his Legion in to chapters. He then went around the galaxy hiding technological artifacts, wrote a book of prophecies that are the key to finding them called 'the tome of fire' then mysteriously vanished.

Warsurge
20-05-2009, 14:49
I really don't know to be honest. I would like to stick to the traditional Salamander army with flamers and such.

Rockerfella
20-05-2009, 16:00
Who's this Vulkan He'stan character, or whatever his name is?

pookie
20-05-2009, 16:42
Who's this Vulkan He'stan character, or whatever his name is?

you really are kidding ;) aint ya..... :D

Rockerfella
20-05-2009, 17:17
I'm not! I've seen the miniature... but I know nuthin' of his background, or his story. Twas a genuine question! ;P

khorne808
21-05-2009, 01:51
Khorne 808, how come you have a rank of my miniatures in your avatar? :S

mysteriously vanished.

hahahahahahahahahahaha this is awsome well uhh my friend e-mailed me the modle pics and i was totally amazed with them that they should be my avatar by the way totally love the models and im stealing the design by the way:evilgrin:.

pookie
21-05-2009, 10:11
I'm not! I've seen the miniature... but I know nuthin' of his background, or his story. Twas a genuine question! ;P

oh i do apologise then.

he's on a quest to find ancient artifacts that Vulkan left to his Chapter,saying when they had found them all he would return.

on the TT he's quite a beast, with a unique Chapter Trait that twin Links/Master crafts certain Wargear types ( that are synonemous with the sallies).

Reflex
21-05-2009, 10:39
Anyhow, the question to whether or not Vulkan is still alive? We know only that he took a nuclear bomb to the face at Istvaan V and that he was still active enough after to oppose the breaking up of his Legion in to chapters. He then went around the galaxy hiding technological artifacts, wrote a book of prophecies that are the key to finding them called 'the tome of fire' then mysteriously vanished.

I used to be a pretty big salamanders fan before they became FotM. but this is what i know about Vulkan from all the fluff Ive read:

He fell back on Istvaan wile ferrus manus decided to hold, so no nuclear bomb to the face as far as i know.
what happens between now and when he gets back to nocturn has not been written. but he gets back to nocturn to rebuild his chapter. then horus is killed and guilliman writes the codex. he cannot break his chapter down because there are very little salamanders still alive. this is where there chapter organization comes from and why there are no second founding chapters.
then they are celebrating some random thing (I think it was that festival thing they celebrate every few years for the harvest or something) and he gets up and says he will be back. then they find his diary of a call girl and start looking for his favorite toys.
Vulkan and Khan have the worst fluff due to the lack of it imo. they have potential to be fantastic though.

makes me sad really :\

Fixer
21-05-2009, 10:45
I used to be a pretty big salamanders fan before they became FotM. but this is what i know about Vulkan from all the fluff Ive read:

He fell back on Istvaan wile ferrus manus decided to hold, so no nuclear bomb to the face as far as i know.

Really the fact that the chapter has become popular doesn't change how the army plays, looks or it's theme. You shouldn't let the opinions of others (positive or negative) influence your own. I still like the army after playing them for almost 10 years regardless of their newfound popularity :)

Anyhow, spoiler:
In Fulgrim The Salamanders, Raven Guard and Iron hands assault the entrentched traitors. The Iron Hands charge ahead as Ferrus wants to visit revenge upon Fulgrim. Corax and Vulkan basically yell at him over the vox to the tune of 'don't be such a dolt' at which point Vulkan dissapears underneath a mushroom cloud. No further information released about the Salamanders or Vulkan's actions in the remainder of the Heresy.

Reflex
21-05-2009, 23:30
Really the fact that the chapter has become popular doesn't change how the army plays, looks or it's theme. You shouldn't let the opinions of others (positive or negative) influence your own. I still like the army after playing them for almost 10 years regardless of their newfound popularity :)

Anyhow, spoiler:

Ah thank you, i wasn't aware of that >_< In the 'older' fluff (You could say older, but really there is bugger all written on Vulkan to begin with) he returns to Nocturn after the drop site massacre to rebuild his chapter, then he goes for a walk. i guess things change :S

You would think that i wouldnt care about the new found popularity of salamanders, except when you show up to your local and find 6 other armies, all of the same make up. kinda demoralising.