PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Navy training

Inquisitor Castleman
18-05-2009, 20:52
What training do the officers of the Navy undergo, and what institution facilitates this?
Are they plucked from the Schola Progeniums, or are there dedicated Segmentum Fortress or Docks?

Quentin
19-05-2009, 00:13
What training do the officers of the Navy undergo, and what institution facilitates this?
Are they plucked from the Schola Progeniums, or are there dedicated Segmentum Fortress or Docks?

Formal naval officer training seems to take place aboard ship's themselves, with potential officer's taken aboard as Midshipmen. I imagine there might also be a small intake of graduates from the Schola Progenium's.

Condottiere
19-05-2009, 12:10
Depends - does the Fluff and ambiance tend towards nineteenth or twentieth century?

Sojourner
19-05-2009, 18:01
There's a piece in a White Dwarf as I recall where a class of cadet officers arseing around are startled by their instructor, a grizzled ex-combatant, who pays it no heed and then proceeds to lecture on the Line of Battle.

So one assumes that officer candidates - these were young boys - are schooled by Navy officers whether on board ship (doubtful) or in ground or space facilities - probably the main fleet bases.

As far as point of origin goes, it's been hinted that in Segmentum Obscurus you can only be an officer if you're Cypran and from an aristocratic enough family - or maybe that's only in Cypra Mundi's local area.

Griefbringer
19-05-2009, 19:12
That piece was in WD just after the BFG came out - around issue 236 or so. I have it somewhere around.

Joulas
19-05-2009, 20:12
As far as point of origin goes, it's been hinted that in Segmentum Obscurus you can only be an officer if you're Cypran and from an aristocratic enough family - or maybe that's only in Cypra Mundi's local area.

In the novels Execution Hour and Shadow Point there are two Navy officers that aren't from Cypra Mundi, though it is mentioned that the majority are Cypra Mundian (?) nobles. I can't remember if there's an navy academy or some such mentioned though - it's been years since i last read them. Of course, this is BL, so it may have been retconned or wrong in the first place...

Sojourner
19-05-2009, 20:44
In the novels Execution Hour and Shadow Point there are two Navy officers that aren't from Cypra Mundi, though it is mentioned that the majority are Cypra Mundian (?) nobles. I can't remember if there's an navy academy or some such mentioned though - it's been years since i last read them. Of course, this is BL, so it may have been retconned or wrong in the first place...

Well, you've read it and I haven't, so I'm sure you're correct.

But the point in general stands - in Obscurus at least, most of the officers are from, or trained on, Cypra Mundi. Not sure what if anything this says about the others, though.

Quentin
20-05-2009, 00:44
So one assumes that officer candidates - these were young boys - are schooled by Navy officers whether on board ship (doubtful) or in ground or space facilities - probably the main fleet bases.

Why's it doubtful they're trained onboard ship? It seems the best method to me. It seems far better for a navy cadet to learn their profession under the tutelage of serving, active officers aboard a void-going vessel where they'll learn by experience and be given some responsibilities expected of an officer, than be stuck in a classroom in a Dockyard somewhere, reading about it all.

The only BL novel I've read concerning the Imperial Navy has been the excellent Relentless. Two supporting characters where ranked as Midshipmen, trainee officers by any other name. They were trained by their superior officers, whilst also supervising crewman, even leading them into battle.

The most likely answer is that to certain degree's, both methods are put to practice. Depending on Battlefleet policy, some fleet's might train their officers more formally in Dockyard/Planetary academies, whilst others take a more practical approach, even a mix of both.

Griefbringer
20-05-2009, 09:29
Actually, I ended up finding two articles which describe a bit Imperial Navy officer training.

First one is "De'Aynes Fighting Ships of the Gothic Sector" (WD232) in which instructor Harlen lectures to fifty cadets about spaceship combat in solar system. It is mentioned that the cadets training also includes other subjects such as gunnery, propulsion, navigation, ship-keeping, celestial phenomena, and that a typical officer course lasts two years until the cadets get their first postings aboard ships. However, due to the attrition of the Gothic War, the instructors have had to cram the course into six months, and might need to consider further limiting it into three - the rate of attrition is such that of a freshly graduated class half will be dead within a month of boarding their ships!

Second one is "Lord Rethmon's Masterclass" (WD241), in which Fleet Admiral Rethmon instructs a lecture hall of juvenile cadets.Žon fleet tactics. In the end it also reveals that Rethmon has his origins in the Necromundan underhive - rather humble origins for an admiral. Due to this he still tends to sip imported wildsnake liquor.

Condottiere
20-05-2009, 10:09
Sounds about the optimum method of training - Fleet Academy for 2-3 years and a year long training cruise.

Griefbringer
20-05-2009, 20:24
Sounds like the sensible combination - the academy will give them basic theoretical background, and the "cadet cruise" will give basic practical experience.

Even upon attaining rank and being assigned to a ship, the commanding officer might still consider placing them initially as assistants to other officers, before considering them sufficiently learned to give them an independent command task on the ship. Even then, the initial command tasks might still be of relatively limited scope - such as overseeing a single gunnery position.

Condottiere
20-05-2009, 21:07
Actually, pop culture-wise, reading the Honor Harrington series would give some ideas; might not be grim enough for 40K.