PDA

View Full Version : How old can orks become?

Dhazzakull
19-05-2009, 09:17
Orks are teenagers wen they digg themselves out th ground and grow up to full strength in a year or so.
Most orks will die in battle or in a brawl whithin a few years after that, but how old can an ork become untill he dies of old age?

Damien 1427
19-05-2009, 09:22
Theoretically, orks are like Marines, they're pracatically immortal. An ork that doesn't get killed just goes on to become bigger and stronger until eventually it does get killed.

Nicha11
19-05-2009, 09:30
Is there an upper limit to an orks size?

Simon Sez
19-05-2009, 09:40
I don't think there is, it's too useful a plot device for GW to cap it at something quasi-realistic. Thus we get normal Boyz in the Charadon empire the size of War Bosses, and the Emperor nearly finding his match in the form of an Orc the size of a, tank, was it?

Damien 1427
19-05-2009, 09:51
Nope, as Simon Sez... erm, said, they can and do get incredibly huge. Apparently ork "natives" on Armageddon are as large as what most bands would consider Nobz, with Nobz being bigger than most warbosses.

Condottiere
19-05-2009, 10:46
Does any Ork ever die of old age? Biologically, it would depend if his system has a termination switch, which someone may have forgotten to engineer in.

The_Dragon_Rising
19-05-2009, 16:35
the Emperor nearly finding his match in the form of an Orc the size of a, tank, was it?

Cue Apocalypse Upgrade v4.0 where we get the new ork stompas which is to say a very very big ork

PondaNagura
19-05-2009, 18:53
since orks really don't keep tabs on cultural history, they probably don't have much in the way of chronometers to determine how 'old' they are. if they live they get bigger, greener and stronger until something bigger, meaner, and stronger thumps them into non-existence.

ChaosBeast
19-05-2009, 19:01
i'm thinking about using barbed heirodule rules for representing a really bad-ass ork

Kiras of the flame
20-05-2009, 06:33
Ghazkull (Da Toughest Warlord dere iz) had started the second war of armegeddon 50 years prior to the third one... And in order to do that he had to Krush all dem ovvah Orkz to get big... So Zog knowz how old 'e Iz....

Ork talk aside, No one knows how old an Ork can get because NO ORK HAS LIVED THAT LONG... It's like asking how a Grot can Fly!!! (you throw im ya squig Herder!)

a squig
20-05-2009, 11:24
i'm thinking about using barbed heirodule rules for representing a really bad-ass ork

The sythed heirodule would be better without the acid spray

mightymconeshot
20-05-2009, 17:45
Next time an ork goes against you ask him his age. I don't even see how this could be studied.
Another question can they die of sickness?

Lexington
20-05-2009, 18:19
The infamous "Anzion's Theorum of Orkoid Growth" paper in the back of the old GorkaMorka rulebook says that Orks rarely live beyond thirty years, though the larger and more successful warlords can live significantly longer.

Rockerfella
20-05-2009, 18:28
Hmmm.

Would the old ones have created a race that had naturally short lifespans? What do we know about the average life spans of the other races they 'created'? That may give us some indication as to how long an Ork might live if left alone on a planet with just gorillas to fight.

Damien 1427
20-05-2009, 19:18
Another question can they die of sickness?

There's no apparent disease that would bring them down, beyond something supernatural like Nurgle's Rot.

Apparently the Arch-Arsonist has been around for an obscene number of years, to the point Imperial forces believe it may be multiple individuals who take the same title. Me, I like to think there's an ork out there as big as a Carnifex with Mega-Armour made out of multiple battle tanks.

That may give us some indication as to how long an Ork might live if left alone on a planet with just gorillas to fight.
Long enough to kill all the gorillas. They do get rather lethargic and sluggish without regular conflict, so left in isolation they could potentially die of boredom. But they do spore fast enough to bring in enough new blood to have a proper scrap.

Hasan ibn Sabbah
20-05-2009, 19:54
If they run out of enemies they just bash each other. They don't die to old age since, like marines, they live at constant conflict or transport themselves to another conflict, or prepare for another conflict. The longer they live the bigger they are, and the bigger they are, the more orks want to bring them down. Hard to achive old age in conditions like this ;)

El_Machinae
20-05-2009, 20:15
I guess you could lop off their heads and count the rings ...

Lexington
20-05-2009, 20:48
Where is everyone getting this "orks don't die of old age" idea from? There's no particular fluff to support this, from what I can tell. Same with Space Marines, who do age, albeit slowly.

Damien 1427
20-05-2009, 22:09
Well, they do get progressively stronger and tougher as they get older (And get older because they're stronger and tougher, so it's not that hard to assume they don't die of natural causes.

ArtificerArmour
20-05-2009, 22:15
Nobody dies of old age in 40K! Name one person who's ever died of old age.

SolidShooterMan
20-05-2009, 22:25
i think the question is rather irrelevant when you consider the nature of an ork. i mean its similar to marines, they are both bred for war and battle, but the chances of an ork lasting that long are highly unlikely simply becuase of their nature to fight and kill anything that moves, so they will always die before they have a chance to grow "old" as it were. except maybe ghazghkull, if any ork has the chance to become thousands of years old he does

Lexington
20-05-2009, 22:36
Well, they do get progressively stronger and tougher as they get older (And get older because they're stronger and tougher, so it's not that hard to assume they don't die of natural causes.
I dunno. There's nothing to say an "old" Ork is necessarily stronger and tougher than the others - he could well have just been content to stay amongst the rabble of Ladz, and gotten old. There's also ample evidence that Orks show signs of age and decay, so it's reasonable to imagine that even the most powerful Warlord will eventually succumb to the ravages of time.

Also, now that I think on it, isn't there a bit of fluff somewhere that says an old Ork who knows his time has come will head out to the edges of Ork society, and, in theory, find a spot to sit down and die, thus giving precious nutrients to his seedlings?

kikkoman
21-05-2009, 07:09

Nork Deddog

Condottiere
21-05-2009, 09:10
In order to live to a ripe old age, an Ork has to constantly fight, either non-Orks or his mates. The moment he displays any weaknesses, he is called out and some ambitious youngster will try and take his place.

Not a formula to guarantee long life.

mightymconeshot
21-05-2009, 15:48
Yeah make sure you are on the bottom rung so you are lower then everybody. Presto never called out and a happy life with a family and old age

NightrawenII
21-05-2009, 19:38
Yeah make sure you are on the bottom rung so you are lower then everybody. Presto never called out and a happy life with a family and old age

This isnt good as well, because you are punchbag for everybody. Guess who will make a distract run, when facing a imperial fire post??:skull:

Condottiere
21-05-2009, 19:57
I would have said Gretchin - but imagine if Gretchin look down upon you.

ChaosBeast
21-05-2009, 20:30

macharius.

Dhazzakull
22-05-2009, 10:18
i don't think every ork has to fight constantly to survive, just look at the mekz, they are simply to usefull to waste them, so a clever waaghboss would protect them.
Because dead mekz dont build tanks.

Lord Malorne
22-05-2009, 10:22
Who knows, I have never seen anywhere if Orks get weaker the older they get.

ChaosBeast
28-05-2009, 10:27
The sythed heirodule would be better without the acid spray

yeah that would be his massive flamer. go Arch Arsonist!!!!