PDA

View Full Version : Jump pack effective height.

eltanko
19-05-2009, 11:15
right then...im writing a bit of a short story (plug plug, see link at the bottom!!!)

and the part im on at the mo, a thunderhawk is going down, and its full of an assault squad, would they be able to jump out and use their packs to get down safely, or does it only work for short periods of time? would they float or go splat?

ElTanko

ctsteel
19-05-2009, 11:31
in game they are capable of making deep strike attacks, which can be explained as leaping out of an in-bound transport craft like a thunderhawk. So if they timed their bailout to be at about the right distance, they'd be able to jump out and engage their jump packs, to slow their descent or even potentially hover at least for a while. Even if the landing was a little rough, they are space marines, they are capable of withstanding the impact of a drop pod descent, a little rough landing won't overly mess them up.

eltanko
19-05-2009, 11:36
thank you very much, i shall adapt my story accordingly :)

ElTanko

Vote Kantor
19-05-2009, 12:47
Rough landing = dangerous terrain test

Col. Tartleton
21-05-2009, 14:43
You don't need to power the whole way down. You could jerk on the jump packs last second and then hover to the ground if it mattered. I however feel that they don't run out of fuel quickly and use the same sort of power as the power armor only more of it.

eltanko
21-05-2009, 16:01
well in the end i went for around a 1000ft drop, they hoveredf for a while, but one slammed into the ground and smashed his leg into pieces!

ElTanko

mightymconeshot
21-05-2009, 17:20
They do not really have a cap. Check guns of tanith. The guard does a stealth insertion using jump packs. As long as inside atmospher should be safe. Depending on how you describe them they could also operate in vacuum