PDA

View Full Version : What did Leman Russ...

Warsurge
20-05-2009, 05:11
I have a fair few questions on the particular Primarch and I was wondering if you guys could help me out on them.

What are his physical traits (hair, skin, build, ect.) and his personality (Is he quick to temper or does he chill out)? Do the Space Wolves have the Spear of the Russ again or is it lost again? Why is Leman Russ currently in the Eye of Terror? In the next codex do you think that they will be including 13th company?

Are there any Space Wolves novels out currently? If so which one would be a good start to get a grasp on the SW fluff.

Thanks very much,

Warsurge

Kiras of the flame
20-05-2009, 05:34
well Russ was a vary hairy man... And had Hair that could match Chuck Norris... (ewwww...) He was also noted to have Very long fangs like a wolf and was said to be very wild and untaimed like his home... Think of a badass Warrior from the far north and you got russ...

He had a Rivalry with the Primarch of the Dark Angels, Both are still stubborn with each other...

He hates Magnus the Red because he was a traitor and both the thousand sons and Space wolves hate each other

The emperor had to best him in 3 contests before he eventually became loyal to his daddeh...

Spear of Russ was reclaimed... But was used to stab Magnus in the eye... By Ragnar... Which the 13th company thinks its funny that they look in awe at it since Russ really never used it in battle...

a couple of books you can read are Grey hunter and Wolf's Honour

Anyway Lexicanum has all the info you need

www.lexicanum.com

spacewolf_sven
20-05-2009, 05:40
There are the space wolf novels but the best one for russ info is the last and worst (wolf's honour)
And there's meant to be a horus heresy book soon about space wolves and the burning of prospreo which should feature Russ.
alsoi you could find lastie"s "primarchs" thread.

Rockerfella
20-05-2009, 10:16
Do you think its possible that after having spent 10'000 years in the eye of terror, Russ could in fact have been corrupted?

Just throwing that one out there.....

a squig
20-05-2009, 11:28
Do you think its possible that after having spent 10'000 years in the eye of terror, Russ could in fact have been corrupted?

Just throwing that one out there.....

HERATIC U SHALL BURN IN THE VERY DEPTHS OF HELL FOR THAT!!!!!! sorry but someone was going to do it :evilgrin:

Memnos
20-05-2009, 11:31
If anyone was not corrupted, it was Russ. He might have a wolfhead now, but he's one hard drinking, battling, singing-lusty-battle-songs-for-the-Emperor mutant.

Caelnaethon
20-05-2009, 12:02
The emperor had to best him in 3 contests before he eventually became loyal to his daddeh...
Minor correction in that the Emperor lost the first two contests; he only won the third contest (a duel; he hit Russ in the face with a powerfist). This turned out to be enough to persuade Russ on its own, probably since it's conceivable he'd never lost a fight in his life before.

If anyone was not corrupted, it was Russ. He might have a wolfhead now, but he's one hard drinking, battling, singing-lusty-battle-songs-for-the-Emperor mutant.
I'm not so sure uncontrolled indulgence and violent rage are the best ways to avoid falling in with the Chaos Gods. ;) Russ' body may be protected from random mutation by the Canis helix, but his mind seems like it would be fairly susceptible.

Memnos
20-05-2009, 12:05
Minor correction in that the Emperor lost the first two contests; he only won the third contest (a duel; he hit Russ in the face with a powerfist). This turned out to be enough to persuade Russ on its own, probably since it's conceivable he'd never lost a fight in his life before.

I'm not so sure uncontrolled indulgence and violent rage are the best ways to avoid falling in with the Chaos Gods. ;) Russ' body may be protected from random mutation by the Canis helix, but his mind seems like it would be fairly susceptible.

See - That's exactly why he'd remain uncorrupted.

"Russ! I am Slaanesh. Follow me and I will let you drink all you want, sing lusty fighting songs and fight while drunk!"

"Meh. I like all those things, but I do those already."

"CURSES!"

"HAHAH! Ignore that ponce. I, Khorne, offer you blood. BLOOOOOOOOD!"

"What about beer?"

"BLOOD will be your mead and violence your bread!"

"Meh. I like beer, too."

"NO BEER! JUST BLOOD!"

"I LIKE BEER!"

They'd then get in a bar brawl and Russ would smash Khorne over the head with a bar stool.

Hellebore
20-05-2009, 12:09
In older background iirc Khorne actually approached Russ first before Angron, but Russ refused his advances (maybe I'm talking about slannesh? :p).

Hellebore

TheDarkDaff
20-05-2009, 12:17

Another little minor correction. They drew the first 2 contests. They ran out of food in the Eating contest, ran out of beer in the drinking contest (please note the Emp has failed to beat Russ at these but he did not loose) and then he hcalled Russ a gluton and a coward which provoked Russ to declare a fight as the thrid challenge (which Russ lost). It is never stated the the Emp used a power fist in the fight. Both were wearing armour in it though as shown by the Emp revealing himself after winning the fight.

What do we gain from this little episode. Russ is a cheat who thinks nothing of claiming victory when a contest is not resolved. He is also quick to anger over minor insults (also see fued with Dark Angels, sacking of Prospero) who need almost no reason to start a fight.

Rockerfella
20-05-2009, 12:22
For me though, it still dosen't mean that he's not lost his purpose and is tainted now after 10'000 years in the eye of terror, where deamons and the Chaos gods can pretty much do what they want.

I'm not saying he is, just that.. you know.. he might be.

Whats he been doing? To be fair, he's time wasting. Wouldn't he be much more useful at the head of the space wolves, nay, the marines full stop and leading them from the front, not... time wasting in the eye of terror doing whatever it is he's supposed to be doing?

I love the Wolves, and I love Russ. Knowing he wasn't killed and his story left open means that I want more russ action! Something, anything! A glimpse, some fluff about legends and myths regarding a stomping savage giant who would appear and bowl out bad guys.

Is there a chance he met up with the Khan? That would be cool. Double the trouble.

I dunoo.

Messiah
20-05-2009, 12:25
Russ is apparently on the cover of this (http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60100181103&type=Book) book.

Memnos
20-05-2009, 12:27
For me though, it still dosen't mean that he's not lost his purpose and is tainted now after 10'000 years in the eye of terror, where deamons and the Chaos gods can pretty much do what they want.

I'm not saying he is, just that.. you know.. he might be.

Whats he been doing? To be fair, he's time wasting. Wouldn't he be much more useful at the head of the space wolves, nay, the marines full stop and leading them from the front, not... time wasting in the eye of terror doing whatever it is he's supposed to be doing?

I love the Wolves, and I love Russ. Knowing he wasn't killed and his story left open means that I want more russ action! Something, anything! A glimpse, some fluff about legends and myths regarding a stomping savage giant who would appear and bowl out bad guys.

Is there a chance he met up with the Khan? That would be cool. Double the trouble.

I dunoo.

There's always the 13th company. ;) They have seen Russ a whole lot more recently.

Rockerfella
20-05-2009, 12:32
Russ is apparently on the cover of this (http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60100181103&type=Book) book.

See, there he is. Bless him.

No beard though. Interesting.

He's not that much bigger than the custodes there is he, and the custodes aren't much bigger than the wolves behind them.

He does look scary mind. Which is good.

Mannimarco
20-05-2009, 12:34
IIRC several artifacts of russ were found, his weapons and armour (this may have been Khan's equipment cant remember)

if it was russ we now have a naked, unarmed viking rampaging around, should be easy to track

Col. Tartleton
20-05-2009, 12:35
*cough* sisters of silence *cough* not custodes *cough* boobs *cough*

Rockerfella
20-05-2009, 12:42
*cough* sisters of silence *cough* not custodes *cough* boobs *cough*

Blimey. Well, would you look at that. Those custodes have boobs... ;)

Sisters of silence then. Well, judging by that, ole Russ isn't too monstrous in stature, is he?

Is it not true that custodes did join Russ on Prospero though?

IIRC several artifacts of russ were found, his weapons and armour (this may have been Khan's equipment cant remember)

if it was russ we now have a naked, unarmed viking rampaging around, should be easy to track

See, why would he take his armour off? We all know he's a little daft in the head, but thats a tad odd, isn't it?

Maybe it was the only way he could continue on his quest, as it were.

TheDarkDaff
20-05-2009, 12:45
Why does he have a Wolf cod piece??? His 2 pack brothers look alot like Falcor for some reason (i bet he has that twisted snake medalion somewhere under his armour).

CaptainSenioris
20-05-2009, 12:46
If you're going to read any Ragnar books you may as well read them from the begining, ''Wolf's honour'' does make the most specific mentions of Russ but by the end of it you want to rip the collective heads of Lee ''the young space wolf'' Lightner from their shoulders. Someone seriously should have read that before it went to the printer.

Rockerfella
20-05-2009, 12:58
I've read those books.

Russ is described as a 'laughing giant', isn't he? Something like that. Bjorn remembers him as such.

I thought the first Ragnar book was brill. Not much space marine action, but plenty of insight into how savage fenris was and how little the local barbarians really know of the marines and or the Imperium, for that matter.

great stuff.

nedsta
20-05-2009, 13:27
It was stated that the big E used a power fist in the third and final challenge with Russ (probably retconned along a lot of other stuff) cant remember the source of the top of my head.

Warsurge best to start from the beginning of the SW novels with Ragnar, try and get a hold of 2nd ed Codex Space Wolves too if your also after some other fluff,

Warsurge
20-05-2009, 14:41
Thank you all for helping me out on the subject. Is that Russ on the front cover of Prospero Burns along with Freki and Geri at his side?

Rockerfella
20-05-2009, 14:44
Thank you all for helping me out on the subject. Is that Russ on the front cover of Prospero Burns along with Freki and Geri at his side?

Nope. Thats Santa Claus on his way to Barnsley, south Yorkshire, with Donner and Blitzen.

Its rough round those parts see.... ;)

Warsurge
20-05-2009, 14:47
Haha, reason for asking is because I thought Russ had red hair.

nightgant98c
20-05-2009, 16:33
I've never seen his hair color specified. Red or blonde would be appropriate though.

Rockerfella
20-05-2009, 16:39
Its just been specified. According to that picture of him, its blonde. Which I guess is fitting.

Caelnaethon
20-05-2009, 16:57
Another little minor correction. They drew the first 2 contests. They ran out of food in the Eating contest, ran out of beer in the drinking contest (please note the Emp has failed to beat Russ at these but he did not loose) and then he hcalled Russ a gluton and a coward which provoked Russ to declare a fight as the thrid challenge (which Russ lost) [...] What do we gain from this little episode. Russ is a cheat who thinks nothing of claiming victory when a contest is not resolved.
I guess you could read it that way. I'm going from the account in book 2 of Index Astartes (which I'm not claiming is authoritative, it's just the only version I've read).

Given that the source within IA is part of a Space Wolf poem, the whole thing could be considered a bit suspect, though. I mean, powerful psychic superbeing or no, did the Emperor really have Super Eating and Drinking powers? :p

It is never stated the the Emp used a power fist in the fight. Both were wearing armour in it though as shown by the Emp revealing himself after winning the fight.
It is in the IA version of the story. "Swinging his power fist in a blurring golden arc/The Emperor struck Leman Russ full in the face." It's noted that the blow that knocked him out for an hour "would have destroyed any mortal man," which sounds about right for a powerfist punch to the head. There's no mention that I can see of Russ wearing armour (the Emperor was, though).

Idaan
20-05-2009, 20:14
I mean, powerful psychic superbeing or no, did the Emperor really have Super Eating and Drinking powers?
Biomancy, the same powers that allowed him to be 10 feet tall.

stormblade
20-05-2009, 21:00
He looked like every other guard tank commander:cheese:

perplexiti
20-05-2009, 23:07
There's no mention that I can see of Russ wearing armour (the Emperor was, though).

If he was wearing armour it would only have been primitive gear, probably leather or something like that.

Col. Tartleton
21-05-2009, 01:21
"Dressed in his kingly regalia and carrying his mighty duce duce, Leman Russ was an imposing figure, his blonde hair blowing in the sea gales as he declared the stranger a girly headed *******. The stranger then struck him with a golden device of much power that he wore on his hand like a horrific glove. Russ flew through the air like a gull before crashing into the earth. After an hour and a gallon of Fenrisian whiskey, the Great Russ was revealed that this stranger was in fact the Great Father himself."

-From the Annals of Russ as told by Bjorn the Fell Handed

Rockerfella
21-05-2009, 07:17
A girly headed *******! Love it. LOL

mightymconeshot
21-05-2009, 17:46
Think viking lord there you go