PDA

View Full Version : Burn the sky!

Balance-keeper
22-05-2009, 13:33
Right, i know bouts the imperiums planet destroying and orbital bonbardment weapons (kinda), but i have woundered how many of these types of weapons are their.. .. .. .. .. .. .. in All empires, and who has the best one.. .. .. ..

Anyone Got any ideas/Facts

Memnos
22-05-2009, 13:38
Well, we know that orbital bombardments are used by Inquisitors all the time. Limited bombardments are used when they don't want to destroy the planet.

We know Abaddon has a ship that's a planetkiller. I would say...

Imperium has the most planetkillers, Tau probably don't have any(They aren't that jaded, yet). We know that Eldar have lost at least one 'C'tan Killer' class weapon, which I suspect has to be just as powerful as a planetkiller. Do they have any left? We don't know. Chaos has one. If they had more, the Empire would be in serious trouble.

Oh, and Tyranids have their hive fleets, which wreck planets.

So, if I were to guess, I'd say, in terms of numbers:

1) Imperium.
2) Tyranids
3/4) Not enough data. Possibly Necrons or Eldar.
5) Chaos.
6) Nobody else has any.

DapperAnarchist
22-05-2009, 15:08
The Tyranid and Imperial weapons mostly just scour a world. Chaos and Eldar actually rip worlds into little pieces (Imperial weapons have done this as well, notably the Night Haunter, but it usually depends on a pre-existing weakness, or several fleet's worth of firepower).

Eldar planetkiller weapons are supposed to be quite small, from one reference I recall (The Imperial Governor who stole soulstones, the weapon is stored under his palace, which makes it smaller than the Planetkiller or Imperial weapons on the same scale, which, as mentioned, come in the form of a fleet.)

Necron's almost certainly have some.

There may be one or two minor races who can muster up the force to do that... And certainly, Exterminatus/Scouring type weapons could be built by Thyruss, Tau, Orks, even races without much industrial backing like Hrud and Kroot. Indeed, those last two might be even better at viral warfare.

Lord Damocles
22-05-2009, 15:38
The Nightbringer's ship, the Bringer of Darkness, was said to be able to destroy entire systems.

Balance-keeper
22-05-2009, 15:42
The Nightbringer's ship, the Bringer of Darkness, was said to be able to destroy entire systems.

I thought that was the nightbringer himself?

DapperAnarchist
22-05-2009, 15:52
The two were very closely linked. Without it, he's been crippled - still fearsome, but not the God of Death Incarnate he was.

The Anarchist
22-05-2009, 17:10
when it comes to planet killing weapons for the Imperium do they have any capability (no matter how rare) to make more planet killers? because if there are a finite number then they could ahve serious problems with the nids on the east for one thing.

also should planet killers be broken down maybe into those that strip a planet of all life and essential leave an asteroid behind. and those like abdons toy that actualy destroy a planet and leave a big cloud of rocks.

Urath
22-05-2009, 17:22
Abaddon used one of his Blackstone fortress' to scour a world of all life during the Gothic War, IIRC.

It was also stated he intended to use one to ignite a star, or harness the power from it and thus destroying it, bathing the system in darkness. IIRC.

Rockerfella
22-05-2009, 17:51
Abaddon used one of his Blackstone fortress' to scour a world of all life during the Gothic War, IIRC. One of 'his' blackstone fortresses, which is actually a talisman of Vaul, created by the Eldar god of the forge.

Bear in mind, the talismans can be used to destroy stars, not just planets. So, they get the vote for me.

In the book Farseer, Auric speaks of how in several futures he has forseen where the Imperium decided to attempt to wipe out the Eldar race in general, the Eldar respond with their 'secret, hidden weapons of galactic doom' and pretty much lay waste to the galaxy where pretty much everyone dies. In another future the Eldar survive however, and in a final future he sees the Eldar fight it out to the bitter end using any means they can and are 'wiped' out, as it were. So, they certainly have weapons capable of uber destruction, but are only going to use them when faced with total destruction, and even then, may not use them at all.

Vaulkhar
22-05-2009, 17:55
Urath - Not quite: In the Gothic War, one Blackstone destroyed a fleet. Two blew the atmosphere off of a planet and three managed to destabilise a star such that it went nova a few weeks later.

The mega-death shot capabilities of four, five and six Blackstones will probably never be seen - only one remains in existence (the one in Abaddon's possession at the end of the War and later seen in the 13th Black Crusade).

Rockerfella
22-05-2009, 18:25
only one remains in existence (the one in Abaddon's possession at the end of the War and later seen in the 13th Black Crusade).

Well, would it not be fair to say that it isn't actually known how many are left? I know a bunch were destroyed and Abaddon pinched one or two.

How many were there to begin with, can you remember? Was it six? I know the deceiver was trying to get hold of them because he knew they were capable of maiming/killing him.

cheers.

Vaulkhar
22-05-2009, 18:32
Six to begin with. Abaddon pinched three, one of which was crippled and boarded towards the end of the Gothic War before it self-destructed. The three in still Imperial control self-destructed at the same time.

*thinky*

Hm. Abaddon might still have two, now I think about it. I'll have to dig out the BFG rulebook...

PondaNagura
22-05-2009, 18:37
i think in BFG there were 6, but recall a WD article back when the predator model was released that had an Inq translating Eldar mythology. i thought the talismans were some how tied to the story of Vaul forging the 100 swords to slay the necrontyr, but one was faulty. i thought it was speculated by the Inq that the swords and the talisman may have been the same. so while 6 have been mentioned, there may have been far more around the time of War in Heaven.

BramGaunt
22-05-2009, 18:44
There were more than 6 at the beginning, the Number is unknown, but only six are still in our world, the others were lost through the milleniums between the War in the Sky and now. They are probably hidden somewhere within the Warp, the way to discover them lost.

Those 6 Fortresses were discovered and used by the Imperium. Abbadon conquered two of them, which he used in his 13th Crusade. The one that attacked Cadia was damaged by Eldrad Ulthran's Sacrifice and was forced to retreat back to the Eye.

The four Fortresses left under Imperial Control were destroyed by the Deciever. It is possible that Necron Raider Parties destroyed more slumbering Fortresses throughout the galaxie, there is no proof of this.

@Topic: Cairn Class ships probably have enough Firepower to destabilize a planet that much that it breaks appart, though it will have to feed on the planets sun to gather the energy needed for it.

Lord Damocles
22-05-2009, 18:45
The story of the Blade-Wraiths and the story of the Talismans of Vaul were presented seperately.

Tailismans (http://web.archive.org/web/20050410234311/uk.games-workshop.com/necrons/eldar-mythology/3/)

Blade-Wraiths (http://web.archive.org/web/20050330092836/uk.games-workshop.com/necrons/eldar-mythology/)