PDA

View Full Version : Do Space Marines Get Payed for Fighting?

TheFloatingHead
25-05-2009, 17:08
When Marines fight for the Imperium, do they get compensation for their efforts? Yes, they have their own sense of duty for doing the Emperor's work, but how do they cover their own expenses like food, fuel, repairs, weapons, training and anything else that a Chapter of Marines would need money for? And who pays them, would it be the worlds they defend, or are their Marine bank accounts in the part of the Imperial Palace that used to be Switzerland that the High Lords deposit credit into? I'm curious because I'm working on a small Crimson Fist army and was struck wondering how they're going to recooperate such substantial losses without getting some kind of cash to get bolts for their guns and to buy materials to craft more armour with.

Mannimarco
25-05-2009, 17:11
service to the emperor is its own reward

some marines are able to construct their own equipment, other chapters have to rely on it being delivered to them, doesnt cost them though

sigur
25-05-2009, 17:15
They are basically monks. What would a space marine do with money after all?

Warsurge
25-05-2009, 17:17
As they say "It is better to die for the Emperor than live for yourself"

As Mannimarco has stated the service is its own reward. I would think that since the whole empire is united everything is free to a degree as to who is getting it. Kind of like a you scratch my back and ill give you a nice shiny gun to blow off someones face.

Cool_Mint
25-05-2009, 17:26
You'd have thought after 10,000 years they would have realised "this ain't working".

danny-d-b
25-05-2009, 17:27
money- money is something you petty guardsmen use, marrine don't need money, all marrines need is transport, there bolter and things to shoot

tortoise
25-05-2009, 17:34
Of course marine chapters would own money- you can't equip an army without it. Since GW based the background of marines off of knightly orders like the Templars and Hospitallars, both organisations with huge reserves of money as well as land and other resources, we can assume that marines function in a similar way.

Individual brother marines of course own nothing.

Condottiere
25-05-2009, 17:40
I thought Marines were brainwashed ... no, indoctrinated ... better, shown the glory of serving the Emperor's will.

Chapters probably do compensate victuallers when necessary.

Pinball wizard!
25-05-2009, 18:15
What would they spend it on, probably tithe it all to the good ol' imperial churches!

Maidel
25-05-2009, 18:26
No, marines dont get paid - they dont do anything that requires money.

Unlike, say an inquisator, who needs money to train followers, set up cells, transport their stuff etc etc marines dont do any of this.

They have their own planet - from which they can create everything they need (or a space fortress or something similar) If there is anything extra they require which their world does not produce, they get it from the ad-mec (like, i think, marine armour and tanks - most dont produce their own, merely repair existing) which if you think about it probably explains why they are so keen on preserving the armour, i expect there is a bloody long waiting list for stuff from the admech.

Individal marines have everything taken care of - housing, weapons, transport etc etc - the chapter provides - they have no 'outside life' which needs supporting.

So - imagine them as a monastic order of tibetan monks. They have nothing, the monestary may have lots, or nothing, but what it does have is used to bring in goods that they cannot get themselves, probably in exchange for things they make - but the monks never see any of that money individually.

The Anarchist
25-05-2009, 19:09
it always struck me as they put a request in to the Adeptus Minsitorum and then the Ministorum automaticaly rubber stamped it basicly and sent the marines whatever they want.
there are two types of chapters those that due to their posisiton have their own munitary funds like the smurfs, and those chapters controlling a world or district. other would as part of a system jsut request from the system govoner what they need and due to the protection they give the system get it given to them.

the other type of chapter are the mobile ones, or those without general self-funding abilities. they could take what they wish from planets, systems they defeat or conquor most of what they want. also maybe a bit impractical but they would over time get money just as any group does over time from odds and ends and then invest this money across the Imperium (afterall its a brave idiot that rips off space marines). as i stated above a sort of auto-rubber stamp for requests administered by the Ministorum.

however i have little baisis in fact for these ideas, so take what ive said with salt.

NightrawenII
25-05-2009, 20:00
it always struck me as they put a request in to the Adeptus Minsitorum and then the Ministorum automaticaly rubber stamped it basicly and sent the marines whatever they want.

Ehm, What???:confused: Do you know the Ministorum is different name for Ecclesiarchy? And they are the least who get in the contact with marines.

As mentioned previosly. The Marines have their own forges and manufactoria. As I posted in other thread there exists various forms of pacts, bounds and wows between Astartes and planets. And of course supplying the Angels of Death, the Emperors Finest is considered to be honour, so if the Astartes demand such things like bolter amno, fuel or food the planets always found some spare stock in their stores.

El_Machinae
25-05-2009, 21:03
It's amazing how it's always an 'honour' to supply the weapons and supplies to a devastating military force. Something about parking battlebarges in orbit is really ... motivating.

spacewolf_sven
25-05-2009, 21:08
surely they don't need money, merely th eresources with which to build stuff and train people. Which they have and can take from their homeplanet or in some cases realm or the most mobile chapters: anywhere

TheFloatingHead
26-05-2009, 00:37
Obviously an individual Marine ain't going to need to buy much. Everything they need is provided by the Chapter. What I mean is who pays the Chapter? Where does the Marine's organization, not the Marines themselves, get what they need to acquire supplies? It's hard to believe that they are able to sustain themselves "just bekuzz duty sez tu" when in constant fighting they are constantly going to need to be rearming themselves and repairing their vehicles in time for the next fight. Marines may not have paychecks, but who's responsible for supplying them and where do they get the money to do so. Especially for fleet based Chapters that may not have a homeworld, which is the supposed reason a Chapter has any resources at all. It would make sense that the governments of the planets and systems they are able to defend would have to offer up some sort of compensation for having been saved. Otherwise at some point the Marines would show up to a fight in rusty, busted up armor, boltguns with no ammo, and pieces of lead pipe because the chainswords all have chipped teeth and don't even run with no fuel, and they'd be asking for rides down planetside because the Thunderhawks don't have any fuel either.

Condottiere
26-05-2009, 05:55
Marine options seem to narrow down to:

1. Have their own infrastructure and are entirely self-sufficient.

2. Can't be bothered and rely totally on Imperium Bureaucracy to supply their needs.

3. Turn up at a production centre, issue their requisition order and expect to be supplied - probably unpopular with both Inquisition and bureaucrats.

4. Requisition goods during campaigning under spoils of war - may or may not issue appropriate paperwork for compensation, definitely won't if originally liberated from Chaos control.

Imperialis_Dominatus
26-05-2009, 06:43
Marine options seem to narrow down to:

1. Have their own infrastructure and are entirely self-sufficient.

2. Can't be bothered and rely totally on Imperium Bureaucracy to supply their needs.

3. Turn up at a production centre, issue their requisition order and expect to be supplied - probably unpopular with both Inquisition and bureaucrats.

4. Requisition goods during campaigning under spoils of war - may or may not issue appropriate paperwork for compensation, definitely won't if originally liberated from Chaos control.

I'd imagine they probably do all four if they can. Bugger the Inquisition and Administratum, we're the goddamn Angels of Death. Gimme some ammo, Imperial peon.

Hellebore
26-05-2009, 06:50
I'd imagine Imperial planets that are within hailing distance have a special Astartes Deduction in their tax return.

They have their own forges etc, but they can't build everything. Space ships especially. So they just call a local planet (one honoured to help them) and requisition whatever they want.

They tithe in materials rather than money.

So marines show up, take what they want and the bearuocracy deduct it from the planetary tithe for that planet.

Unless they are marine homeworlds with high tech (Macragge) where the planet itself is exempt from tithe, supplying the marines rather than the Imperium.

Hellebore

Epicenter
26-05-2009, 06:53
You'd have thought after 10,000 years they would have realised "this ain't working".

It's not? Can you name another human empire that's lasted 10,000 years? The IoM has lasted for longer than recorded human history - longer than civilization has endured on Earth so far.

The latest rulebook suggests that Space Marine worlds are the safest ones in the Imperium and that the IoM is letting the Marines have more and more of them to keep them safe as central authority continues to decay.

Something has been working up to now.

All that said, one of my fluff heresies is that while Space Marines live lives of spartan purity and so on ... you have no idea what their "serfs" are up to. The Space Marines might be like nobility throughout time - where it's considered "un-noble" to be concerned with money or goods "in-kind." But someone has to balance the books, deal with resources and so on.

Imagine your master is some 300 year old war god who is concerned about nothing but the honor of his chapter and fighting so his honor is intact and he's honorable to the Emperor and his Primarch. All the guy does is fight and train to fight and deal with other men (like Imperial Guard generals) who do the same. He's probably so detached from common humanity he has no idea how long ordinary people live, how they live, or what they do. Provided the supplies come in, he probably don't care and just nods as the ledgers are shown to him.

I can imagine "serfs" living lives of opulent plenty, in palaces of their own and so on, raising taxes so they can skim off a fat portion to enrich themselves and living like kings. While groups like the Ultramarines might care what their serfs do, for every Ultramarines or Space Wolves, there's probably dozens of chapters who care less as long as the supplies come in.

Demon Druss
26-05-2009, 07:40
Income depends on the Chapter
Dark Angels have extensive production facilities on the Rock and dozens of planets they visit to recruit and procure the rarer materials for weapons and armor.
Space Wolves have the whole of Fenris to dig around in for materials and the Fang is a huge fortress in which each company maintains its own forges.
Ultra Marines have the whole Ultramar system to pick and mix from.
Black Templars have dozens of Recruitment and supply towers scattered around planets they have fought on and probably requisition what they need as a mini tithe from planets they fight on.
Thats how I've seen marines covering costs and keeping the lights on in the Battle Barge.

Jimbobjeff
26-05-2009, 08:19
The trouble with marines getting paid is that there is no single currency in the imperium so using money doesnt really work on anything except a planetary scale. As others have said they resupply thmeselves by a combination of making stuff themselves, calling in honour debts, asking the imperium nicely and intimidation.

StefDa
26-05-2009, 10:55
I remember an old article (was it Index Astartes?) where it gave an overview of a Marine's day when not in combat. I think he had two or four hours off each day - which was spent either praying or maintaining equipment, or of course some Chapter social stuff (mopping the toilets, going to Bingo, the next soccer tournie).

Nero
26-05-2009, 11:57
The SMs have funding, similar to any government-run department in any government you care to name. The bureaucracy-laden Imperium will be no different. Stating things like 'they just make/take all their equipment lol!' might appeal to some people's limited knowledge of large scale military logistics and management, but it just wouldn't be that simple.

Space Marines don't have their own dedicated Forge Worlds and fleets. After the HH, they were specifically limited in that respect so that the SM had to rely on the Imperium. If they had their own manufacturing worlds, capable of maintaining their armies and building their fleets, what's to stop them from rebelling again? From building endless Space Marines and massive fleets?

I'd like to see a SM Chapter threaten a Forge World with their Battle Barge, too! Space Marines are not above the law. An Inquisitor can declare them traitor, have their homeworld Exterminatused, and a Battle Barge is no match for even a single Apocalypse class Battleship!

danny-d-b
26-05-2009, 13:36
I remember an old article (was it Index Astartes?) where it gave an overview of a Marine's day when not in combat. I think he had two or four hours off each day - which was spent either praying or maintaining equipment, or of course some Chapter social stuff (mopping the toilets, going to Bingo, the next soccer tournie).

can you immange marrine football, the ball would not exist after about 30seconds as its probibly been hit by 20 boltgun shots, and there is just two fireing line on either side of the pitch with shouts of FOR THE EMPEROR

narrativium
26-05-2009, 13:45
The SMs have funding, similar to any government-run department in any government you care to name. The bureaucracy-laden Imperium will be no different. Stating things like 'they just make/take all their equipment lol!' might appeal to some people's limited knowledge of large scale military logistics and management, but it just wouldn't be that simple.

Space Marines don't have their own dedicated Forge Worlds and fleets. After the HH, they were specifically limited in that respect so that the SM had to rely on the Imperium. If they had their own manufacturing worlds, capable of maintaining their armies and building their fleets, what's to stop them from rebelling again? From building endless Space Marines and massive fleets?

I'd like to see a SM Chapter threaten a Forge World with their Battle Barge, too! Space Marines are not above the law. An Inquisitor can declare them traitor, have their homeworld Exterminatused, and a Battle Barge is no match for even a single Apocalypse class Battleship!

There you have it. Money has no meaning for the Astartes - what they respect is authority. The Imperial worlds don't hand over everything the Astartes need, the Astartes go through proper channels - the Techmarine contacts in the Mechanicum, ancient contracts with the forge worlds, etc..

The Space Marines don't have funding. They have endorsements, and honour. They are entrusted to keep the Imperium safe; in return they are supplied with equipment.

Jimbobjeff
26-05-2009, 14:54
The SMs have funding, similar to any government-run department in any government you care to name

Except the marines are in no way "government run" they are more like allied empires than part of the imperium, independant in almost every way.

Nero
26-05-2009, 16:01
Except the marines are in no way "government run" they are more like allied empires than part of the imperium, independant in almost every way.

No... not really. Not at all, actually. I don't know where you got that idea, but I think I can guess... *glares at latest C:SM*

They aren't independent. They are specifically banned by the Imperium to hold fleets over a certain size or of a certain composition (which is why Battle Barges have no lance batteries; so that they can't fight other capital ships effectively). The Imperium monitors their activity and audits reports of abnormal or negligent behavior, asks for a tithe of their geneseed, checks their genetic stock to make sure they aren't mutating, requisitions them to patrol sectors and take part in battles, etc.

If they refuse to do any of the following they run the risk of being declared Excommunicate Traitorus and having their puny fleets wtfpwned by a Segmentum fleet and their homeworlds turned into radioactive glass.

That's not to say that they don't have a fair amount of freedom. Also, depending on how useful they happen to be at any one time, they might 'get away' with a bit more... But they're certainly not independent empires!

The Space Marines don't have funding. They have endorsements, and honour. They are entrusted to keep the Imperium safe; in return they are supplied with equipment.

They have funding. That doesn't mean they're given a big cheque or sack of cash each year or something, funding is an abstract concept. They have some kind of limit on the resources they are allowed to requisition, and this limit is their fund.

We know they can't just make anything or take anything, because most Space Marines are still wearing antiquated armor. If they had unlimited funding or personal Forge Worlds they'd all be wearing Mk8 power armor.

Lothlanathorian
26-05-2009, 16:40
No... not really. Not at all, actually. I don't know where you got that idea, but I think I can guess... *glares at latest C:SM*

Marines have been like independent allied forces since 2nd Ed. That is nothing new. The rest of your post is accurate, though, and pretty good.

They can say no and choose to go fight where they want to go fight and the older and more prestigious Chapters have even more freedom to do this than the others do. The =][= can declare them traitors and the AdMech or whoever else supplies them can say no. All of this doesn't change the fact that no one commands Space Marines except their Chapter Master and the Emperor.

As far as how they get resources and resupply themselves, I would like to think that they are somewhat self-sufficient. Instead of having their own gardens and cattle, however, they have their own mining operations and make their own bullets and stuff to maintain their equipment. All the big stuff is out-sourced and they get it from the AdMech. Each Chapter is given so many tanks and gun and such and, when something breaks, they sent it in to the AdMech since it is given a lifetime warranty (with the lifetime being forever lol).

NightrawenII
26-05-2009, 18:34

Erm, they have their own Forges and Fleets. After heresy the Army, Navy and Astartes get separated, but Astartes as the quick responding force needed their own ships, so they can have fleets.

And yes, they have their own supply and logistic independent on the Administratum or Mechanicum, but sometimes they need things they cant create, such as T-hawks, Space Ships, T-armour etc. etc. They simply ask nice and receive.

I'd like to see a SM Chapter threaten a Forge World with their Battle Barge, too!
they dont need:
Chapter Master:"We are short of amno, can you provide us some?"
FW leader:" Erm, we dont have any spare amno at this moment."
Chapter Master:"So you dont provide us amno and thus sabotage our holy work of fighting Emperors enemies? Some members of Inquisition can consider this as a heresy and treachery."
FW leader:"How many bolter rounds you need?"

baphomael
26-05-2009, 19:05
Marine chapters wouldnt be paid for their work. Most of the repairs and much of the equipment is created within the Chapter itself. Certain other equipment, like weapons, munitions, vehicles and raw materials, that cannot be crafted by the Chapter itself will be supplied by specific forgeworlds, and thus essentially created by 'state owned' manufactoria, there wouldnt be any need to 'buy' them. Of course, they'd probably have a pretty generous limit on what they could requisition, but a limit none the less (since those same forgeworlds will be providing for several simultaneous warzones).

They are basically monks. What would a space marine do with money after all?

Not really an accurate example, as many medieval monasteries were stinking rich. Monasteries would create their own income supply through trade - wool being a notable example, but also beer (hence 'Abbey beers' and 'Trappist beers'). Of course, individual monks would have no true possessions or money, but 'monks' as a whole are pretty rich.

Condottiere
26-05-2009, 19:15
The manufacture of ammunition might be in-house - how long would you want to wait while some bureaucrat checks to see if your requisition form is in order while you know that you're company is about to go into combat.

Heavy equipment would most probably be supplied by outside contractors - that allows the flexibility that Marines need to respond to critical situations, not burdened by stuff that takes time and effort to supervise, and having stuff they need almost all the time available in any quantity that they desire.

Daredhnu
26-05-2009, 19:39
almost all marine chapters are capable of creating their own vehicles (rhino's, predators, bikes and probably land speeders.)
they are all capable of creating their own ammunitions (for all weapons basically.)

they have the facilities to maintain all equipment and vehicles in their service.

they cannot create new power armour or terminator armour.
the manufacture of land raiders is limited to certain forge worlds i believe.
they are not allowed to create their own space ships these are all supplied by the mechanicum.

i thought this was made pretty clear in the last few marine codexi and the FW Imperial Armor books.

Emperor's Grace
26-05-2009, 21:51
I think that their need for outside supply is less about what they can and can't build but more about the fact that their "rate of damage" will outstrip their "rate of repair".

Having someone else kick in a few of the time/material-intensive items would make the techmarines lives a bit easier.