PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Table WH40K

Einachiel
26-05-2009, 00:09
Good day fellow hobyists,

I received a new contract from one of my friends who lack talent and/or time to build his WH40K table. So there I am, accepting and proposing ideas, I've receive total "creative" freedom and money is not really an issue, so for a good start it's gonna be Realms of Battle board form GW.

While discussing with my friend we agreed for a jungle table who will revolve around a lot of ruins and a little bit of "jungle only" terrain. I will be using a lot of plastic decorative plants found in 1$ stores.

Here is my first concern: Does any of you remembers how a pain in the A$$ it was to move around this Leman Russ or that Land Raider in woods/jungle area terrain? Ring a bell? So I'm thinking of glueing jungle plants on 28mm and 40mm bases to be able to "remove" them from your way ...

What do you think?

I'll be adding pictures of the materials and various steps of my creation ...

See you around!

the_yuk
26-05-2009, 07:37
Sounds like a good idea to use small base's to mount the trees on, maybe create a base to slot them into so you can still keep the larger clumps of tree's together, similar to how people create unit bases for golden deamon. Hope you understand what i mean. Sounds good though.

dreamwarder
26-05-2009, 22:53
That's pretty much exactly what I did, except that I found plastic bases to be a bit lightweight - especially for particularly tall pieces of foliage. Instead I ended up using 30mm washers (the ones with really small holes in the middle). The extra weight from the metal kept them stable, and they ended up being a lot cheaper than GW bases. Once covered in sand and painted they looked great. I might have some pics over in my log, I can't remember. If not let me know and I can add some.

Gaming wise it works great - you can just move/remove the individual clumps in order to get troops through. Just make sure you have a good way of outlining the area - I made simple baseboards out of hardboard.

Einachiel
27-05-2009, 00:30
Thanks for helping! While discussing with my friend, he asked for 2 thing:

1st: The table need to have a Vietnam appearance.

2nd: He want a river and a bridge.

So, anybody got clues 'bout what the vegetation and country look like in 'nam? They have temples if I remember, what do they look like?

'Bout the bridge and river, I will need to build one, anybody got tips on how to do that masterclass style?

Here's a product I would like to use for the water, it's called still water and gives that result:

http://www.thewarstore.com/media/ss_size2/VAL26230.jpg

For the bridge, he would like wood, witch is unlikely to cross for a Land Rader. So he agreed for steel ... Plasticard is what I have in mind, any sugestions?

Müller
27-05-2009, 07:35
for one I'd start with playing the PC game Vietcong if I was you, some great levels there to use...
as far as the bridge goes, I'd build a "temporary engineer built bridge" something similar to this: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/imperialarmour/cityfight.htm

Wolf Scout Ewan
27-05-2009, 23:05
For a decent bridge try Pegasus models technobridge.

Devillocks
28-05-2009, 14:29
Any more info on that bridge? I was unable to find it on Pegasus Hobbies homepage or their webstore, although I found it for sale at this link: http://www.moduni.com/product_info.php/products_id/3424921

It looks interesting enough, but I've never heard of the company and I'm in the US which would make overseas ordering cost prohibitive. Any idea if there's a North American counterpart?

Raalle
28-05-2009, 15:44
If you're interested in the Technobridge, it can be found in the U.S. at TheWarStore (http://thewarstore.com). Here is a direct link to the bridge: link (http://www.thewarstore.com/product7434.html)

I'm sure it can be found other places too, but since TheWarStore was already mentioned, I figured I'd link there first.

Einachiel
29-05-2009, 03:25
Here we go! 300$ lighter and a Realm of Battle Board later.

Next step is to start painting the board. I'm thinking of this:

Base color: Scorched Brown
Drybrush: Graveyard Earth
Light Drybrush: Camo Green

What do you think? Any suggestion on how to represent a Viet Nam Jungle?

I've also ordered a Hobby Scenic Master Basing Kit by Gale Force Nine from the Warstore, that will be essential for the wole project.

Müller
29-05-2009, 06:36
muddy as hell, lots of really deep green contrasting foilage (along with some really bright greens for more shade effecs as well as some sweet death plants (explained along with catachan jungle fighting rules)...

Einachiel
30-05-2009, 16:24
The plastic plants are here! I've been working a little bit on this, got my fingers covered with freaking hot glue ... Anyway, it looks good, still need a little bit of sand and maybe green stuff to edge out. I'm pretty satisfied with the general outlook.

Need some comments!

Einachiel
30-05-2009, 16:35
About the river, I'm thinking of using 1/4" massonite and using a set of wood cisors for wood sculpting belonging to my passed away grandfather. So I'll be sculpting the center, leaving about 1" on each side untouched, the sanding the center to smooth it out, finaly basing it with sand and rocks. Then pouring in the Still water water effect product mentioned before.

What do you think?

Here's also other pictures of jungle plastic plants mounted on 40mm bases.

Einachiel
30-05-2009, 17:05
On a connex subject: My friend who ordered the jungle table is an avid fan of Arnold, in this case Predator. He wants me to build him a squad of Imperial Guards to fit the crew of the movie. I'm thinking Catachan command squad. Does the IG sprue still comes with grenade launchers?

I'll convert an IG Catachan w. Hvy Flamer (model with no glasses) to fit him an assault cannon for Jessy Ventura caracter with the old painless, who will "count as" the new guard SC with hvy bolter and relentless.

For the Predator, I'm thinking of converting a Kroot mercenary. I'll need to enhance it's height, and sulpt a mask for his face.

Maarten
30-05-2009, 21:32
On a connex subject: My friend who ordered the jungle table is an avid fan of Arnold, in this case Predator. He wants me to build him a squad of Imperial Guards to fit the crew of the movie. I'm thinking Catachan command squad. Does the IG sprue still comes with grenade launchers?

Yes, it's the very same sprue, except there's less in a single box.

However the new Catachan Command Squad also comes with a grenade launcher.

snottlebocket
02-06-2009, 15:21
If you want a jungle table themed on predator you could probably build several large props to represent the movie's main settings.

The most notable of which are obviously the rebel compound and the small lake where arnie covers himself in mud. The rebel huts were pretty simple affairs, rectangular huts made of bamboo and corrugated plate walls, the most notable thing about them were the walkways with camo netting 'ceilings'.

There was also a small lake / rivermouth with a cliff and waterfall. Some big treestumps and fallen trees on the banks by the river.

Depending on how true to the movie you want the catachans to be I'd look up some screenshots. Every member of Dutch's team had his own unique style, weapons and cammo pattern. The most obvious of which were Blaine with his cowboy hat and Bill with the native american theme.

Einachiel
03-06-2009, 13:42
If you want a jungle table themed on predator you could probably build several large props to represent the movie's main settings.

No, I'll just be building Dutch's squad w. a predator model, the jungle table will be more 'Nam style, while VERY playable.

Einachiel
07-06-2009, 03:03
78$ of paints, white glue, filler & brushes later, I am ready to paint that RoB!!!
I didn't take any picture of the black undercoat since everybody in his right minds know to undercoat EVERY project he deoes before painting.

So here's the 2 basic colors on the first section:

Brown = Equivalent of Scorched Brown in Sico Select Latex paint.
Grey = Citadel's Codex Grey

The second part will be a heavy drybrush of a paler brown and MAYBE a thin layer of Citadel Wash or Black Ink (Not sure if I will 'cause the grey looks pretty bright to me) followed by a drybrush of paler grey on the Codex Grey.

Einachiel
10-06-2009, 17:20
Now the second part of the painting, I choosed to add 2 layer of ink on the rocks, black and brown to match the surrounding terrain. I've also done the drybrush of the scorched brown with graveyard earth.

Next step, I'll be drybrushing the rocks with a first layer of codex grey, then a thin layer of forteress grey and finally and even thinner layer of camo green.

How does it looks so far?

Einachiel
21-06-2009, 16:48
Et Voila! 1/6 of the table finnaly fully painted, I'm still waiting for my static grass from GF9.

3vilX
22-06-2009, 02:21
If you're looking for predator-style miniatures conversions, the 4th edition rulebook has an imperial guard kill-team converted up as the squad from predator.

Einachiel
26-06-2009, 14:21
Finally, GF9 grass and sulpting tools are in! Took a while, so next step will be to cover that table with grass.

Einachiel
27-06-2009, 02:37
Ok, now I've got 20 different kind of grass, sand and rocks. Witch one to use now? I really need your help 'bout witch one to use...

Here's a link to the warstore webpage featuring the grass I've bought:
http://www.thewarstore.net/flocksandandgravel.html

GF9 suggest for a jungle "feeling" the use of the following texture:

Foundation Dirt, Spring Undergrowth, Winter/Dead Static Grass and Dark Green Static Grass based on the following link:
http://www.gf9.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=406

Any suggestion please? I'm really stuck on that step and I need your advice.

Thanks

Einachiel
18-08-2009, 19:24
Finally, 1/6 of the table is completed. I'm still working the ink on another 1/6 for now. Soon I'll start working on the general area terrain and structures.

I also need some advice regarding rivers. How should I do the segmentation? Straight or curved? How can I make everything fit? As anyone already did a good-looking one to pass me the knowledge?

Thanks!

N810
18-08-2009, 19:45
If you have problems with your bases tiping over a lot, glue a coin ot a washer to the bottom, it helps a lot.

Ps. I know because I just made a bunch of plants a lot like these. ;)

Einachiel
18-08-2009, 19:49
If you have problems with your bases tiping over a lot, glue a coin ot a washer to the bottom, it helps a lot.

Ps. I know because I just made a bunch of plants a lot like these. ;)

I will for sure, thx for the tip, by the way, I really love the terrain you build, have you ever build a river? How did you do it?

N810
18-08-2009, 19:52
Haven't built a river.. Yet but I did just finish a swamp...
I have it documented step by step in my log. ;)
(Building on a Budget)

Einachiel
18-08-2009, 19:55
Haven't built a river.. Yet but I did just finish a swamp...
I have it documented step by step in my log. ;)
(Building on a Budget)

Whitch page is the swamp?

N810
18-08-2009, 19:57
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77887

the last couple of pages... post #675-#706

Einachiel
18-08-2009, 20:03
You're using plexiglass ... I'ts very good-looking. I'll be using a water effect that I've already tried out on a part of the table, one of the last batch of pix shows it.

The main problem will be the following: The river must fit on a ROB GW table, without every section being too much appart, I don't want to have any gaps, will using differents angle.

Do you have any suggestions?

N810
18-08-2009, 20:12
Edit: EDIT: there is a great tutorial over at Terragenesis. http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page112.html