PDA

View Full Version : Gravity?

Vote Kantor
27-05-2009, 11:52
Okay, what does the imperium do with worlds of high or low gravity, do they alter it (if so how) or do they leave it? would it be feasible for my guard regiment to come from a high gravity world?

Caprosmaster
27-05-2009, 11:54
well general you would suppose when people landed on the planet, the ones with 'stronger' sketla features and structres might survie and pass their gens onto the futrue gernations, so yeah i would suppose so

although i mite be complety wrong :p

Caprosmaster

Whitehorn
27-05-2009, 11:59
They were probably already inhabited from eons ago.

We have examples of such worlds, the Ogryns and Squats derive from high gravity worlds.

Vote Kantor
27-05-2009, 12:04
Well so do the 23rd othians, (Othia, a high gravity acid-marsh/desert planet) (and its flipping freezing)

Demon Druss
27-05-2009, 12:06
Generally high gravity worlds were used as prisons in the the dark age of technology and after the age of strife the populations become ogryns however the Imperium does have high gravity suits ( HG suits ) to allow exploration mining and fighting for normal men on high gravity worlds. So maybe your regiment was raised on a mining world and are all brutally strong but still human or maybe you could have loads of ogryns who would be descended from prisoners while the gaurdsmen are descended from the gaurds who had the suits or suspensor technology to make sure their bodys didn't adapt like the ogryns.
Hope this helps.

Whitehorn
27-05-2009, 12:22
Make your guard army into squats.

Problem solved.

Vote Kantor
27-05-2009, 12:26
Im gonna go with the mining one. thanks a bunch

Condottiere
27-05-2009, 12:54
Does terra-forming include gravity alteration? Gravity is based on the planet's mass, and unless you start adding or extracting material, I think you are stuck with it.

borithan
27-05-2009, 13:01
Ogryns (as far as I remember) don't actually come from high-gravity worlds. They come from death worlds and bleak prison worlds, where their big size means they can take on local predators etc on more equal terms. Squats are the ones from high gravity worlds.

Lavadude360
27-05-2009, 13:25
Does terra-forming include gravity alteration? Gravity is based on the planet's mass, and unless you start adding or extracting material, I think you are stuck with it.

What if the Imperium has/had a way of affecting the Higgs field of a planets atoms? That'd work.

LD

PondaNagura
27-05-2009, 15:55
VK welcome to the rank of high-grav world IG recruitment

by DAoT science it would probably be more feasible to genetically alter the colonist's bone structrure and heart muscles and/or create a gravity suppression engine than alter the mass of an entire planet. failing that early colonists aside from gen modding would probably use some kind of powersuits to help them move about...too bad rules don't reflect these kind of conditions, as they'd be bouncing around the battlefield like Terran men on Luna

Nexus Trimean
27-05-2009, 16:04
Considering we used to have rules for fighting on High G World, (and low G worlds) I would say its fine, you will just have a bunch of extra strong guardsmen.

dinogj
29-05-2009, 07:05
I'm pretty sure in the novel Death World, Trooper Lorenzo mentions that since Catachan has a higher gravity than most worlds, Catachans are naturally better built.

personally i think its an excuse, since they are all clearly juicing

Epicenter
29-05-2009, 07:21
I'm pretty sure in the novel Death World, Trooper Lorenzo mentions that since Catachan has a higher gravity than most worlds, Catachans are naturally better built.

There's a reference in the last Guard codex of the same (I believe that's where I read it). Catachans are referred to as "mini-Ogryns" though apparently it's insulting so you don't say that in earshot.

And adjusting gravity on a planet was apparently possible during the DAoT. Pretty much anything was possible during that time except for the control of Psyker powers, it'd appear.

Dhazzakull
29-05-2009, 08:53
i think its possible to live on worlds weith a gravity till 2g. Anything higher would be to heavy for human mussles and skeleton. Even anything higher than 1,5 g would inflict serious jointproblems.

danny-d-b
29-05-2009, 09:06
doesn't it say in the old guard codex that there are a army of guardsmen called the warhalks (or something like that, there the named drop trooperes anyway) that live on a low grav world?

Condottiere
29-05-2009, 09:48
Heavier gravity will put an increasing strain on the human heart, which can't be good for life expectancy.

Jimbobjeff
29-05-2009, 11:43
The ogryns and ratlings thing doesnt make much sense really, without genetic engineering there is no way they could have evolved as they did, they havent had long enough, evolution takes millions of years not thousands. Sure they might be a bit shorter and squatter by now but they wouldnt be as big or as short as they are!

J-man
01-06-2009, 06:56
Gravity is based on two things - the mass of the planet, and your distance from its centre. So terraforming to make mountains or building incredibly tall hives would be two ways to reduce the force of gravity on a planets inhabitants. And the planet Catachan is indeed a high gravity world.

Hellebore
01-06-2009, 07:00
Unless the gravity kills individuals before they breed (or breed MORE than others), it won't have an evolutionary effect.

The population would have to practice selective breeding at a social level, stigmatising smaller individuals and popularising larger ones if the gravity didn't kill them.

Hellebore

Condottiere
01-06-2009, 07:25
In this short time frame, I guess the solution is eugenics and genetic engineering.

Warsurge
01-06-2009, 08:41
Sure it is possible. If they were ever to go onto a world with a lighter gravitational force they would be extremely fast, not to mention dangerous.