PDA

View Full Version : Stub Guns Vs Revolvers in Inquisitor

Eternus
16-07-2009, 12:14
Just an opinion question, which affects the hybrid Inquisitor/Necromunda rules I'm working on.

In Inquisitor, Stub Guns are way better than Revolvers. Yes or no?

kaled
16-07-2009, 12:18
Well, if you compare their statlines then stub guns are more accurate, can be fired faster, hold more rounds and can be reloaded quicker. If you think that makes them 'better' then the answer is yes.

Eternus
16-07-2009, 12:23
Well, if you compare their statlines then stub guns are more accurate, can be fired faster, hold more rounds and can be reloaded quicker. If you think that makes them 'better' then the answer is yes.

Exactly what I thought - now take a look at my thread in the Necromunda section to see why I asked.

Thanks.

precinctomega
16-07-2009, 15:51
In INQ2, revolvers gain the Reliable quality which makes them very, very unlikely to suffer a stoppage.

R.

Eternus
17-07-2009, 14:27
In INQ2, revolvers gain the Reliable quality which makes them very, very unlikely to suffer a stoppage.

R.

That sounds like what I want - is that in the LRB?

precinctomega
18-07-2009, 13:49
Not yet. INQ 2.0 is still in the draft stages. The rules are nearly done (you can follow my progress at http://inquisitorsdiary.blogspot.com) but I've got lots of work still to do on the background, characters, armoury, hobby section and, of course, artwork and illustrations.

The stoppage rules (some are saying I should get over my military training and just call them "jams" but, dammit, I want accuracy!) indicate that whenever a weapon misses and rolls a double it has suffered a stoppage and the character must expend two Actions to clear the stoppage before the weapon can be fired again.

Unreliable weapons suffer a stoppage on any double (a shot is still fired if the hit roll score is beaten).

Reliable weapons never suffer from a stoppage (these include Revolvers and most las weapons), although weapons can become Malfunctioning: Malfunctioning Reliable weapons lose their Reliable quality. Malfunctioning normal weapons gain the Unreliable quality. Malfunctioning Unreliable weapons become Risky.

A character with the Weaponsmith ability can clear any weapon with a stoppage in one Action instead of two.

Feel free to playtest.

R.

DapperAnarchist
18-07-2009, 22:03
Ah, but is a stub gun cooler?

marv335
18-07-2009, 22:08
Revolvers are always cooler than stub guns.
I like the reliable rules.
I'll have to try them out.

DapperAnarchist
18-07-2009, 22:26
I dunno, would the Lobby Run in the Matrix be as cool if it was obvious that Neo was firing about twice as many bullets as the guns held? (for the Minigun, apparently they just poured a huge bag of empty casings off the side of the helicopter to get the effect)

But, my point was, though this applies a bit less for ][munda, is that for inquisitor, the important thing (to quote one of the articles) is not what it does, but does it do it with an air of cool

precinctomega
19-07-2009, 09:19
I've always considered automatics to be cooler than revolvers. I refer you to the climactic shoot-out in Equilibrium as an extreme case in point.

R.

Dust King
19-07-2009, 11:54
I always saw revolvers as cooler, as cool as the shoot out in equilibrium was, I thought the final shoot out in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was cooler ;)

TwinDeath
22-07-2009, 03:17

This. No matter the awesome factors of appearance, rep, or anything else, not dying is cooler than dying. If a gun jams, grab another.

(That said, precinctomega, I think that rule is one of the best ideas I've seen.)

precinctomega
22-07-2009, 09:32
Indeed. Never take one pistol when two are available.

R.

Dust King
22-07-2009, 10:32
You only need one shot to take a guy out of action. Personally I think you're more likely to survive if you shoot calmly and accurately than just going in all guns blazing.

But then again I'm a sucker for the classics (and lets face it in equilibrium and the matrix both of them would have ended up dead, no questions;))

precinctomega
22-07-2009, 13:32
Q.v. Butch & Sundance.

R.

Raellos
08-12-2009, 16:27
Butch and Sundance. If you are going to die, do it in style (which is a similar reasoning for going all-in on eff-all in poker, incidentally).

Raellos
09-12-2009, 15:38
Oh, and Precinct Omega, is 2.0 officially sanctioned or not?

precinctomega
09-12-2009, 15:58
Yes and no.

It has the official stamp of "yes, you're allowed to do this and if it comes up to our standards, then we'll publish it in place of the existing PDF".

But whilst the core rules are basically done, pending some additional playtesting, the design, artwork, layout, hobby section and background material are all works in progress...

R.

Raellos
09-12-2009, 16:39
So the artwork and design are all community, or can you use GW's existing resources and artwork and slot theirs in?

precinctomega
10-12-2009, 07:53
I'm allowed to use GW artwork with the usual caveats, but I'm trying to make it as much a community project as possible, so I am trying to find artists to help me with the page borders and paragraph fillers, as well as the big, set-piece illustrations.

Unfortunately, I get a lot of the latter and not so much of the former...

R.

MarcoSkoll
10-12-2009, 13:56
Unfortunately, I get a lot of the latter and not so much of the former...
If you're short on the paragraph fillers, while I'm not all that great (well, pretty mediocre at best) at creating visually stunning scenes, I may be able to offer some technical drawings of various pieces of equipment to be used in the same kind of vein as what criss-crosses the armoury section in the current rulebook. (Although, certainly not until I get my laptop returned...)

Of course, if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

BigRob
11-12-2009, 08:48
Revolvers are always much much better than automatic pistols.

Two examples,

A friend of my families, now sadly gone, served in the Navy in both wars, worked as a cowboy in Bolivia and other south american countries which also included fighting in a revoloution and did alot of rather shady things during the spanish civil war and with SOE in WW2. He was also a gunsmith, had several attempts on his life (as late as the 1980s) and was never without his revolver. His opinion was that automatics were too much of a liability because when they did jam, you were screwed.

Secondly, Princess Anne was subject to a kidnapping attempt in 1974 during which a man stopped her car and pulled a gun. Her bodyguard was using an automatic and when he tried to shoot the attacker his weapon jammed. This resulted in him being shot along with the princesses driver and a police officer before a quick thinking member of the public punched the attacker in the back of the head.

Liking the idea of the reliable revolver, it will make the weapon as reliable as it should be, although why you wouldn't want one for the cool factor anyway is beyond me.

MarcoSkoll
11-12-2009, 15:21
Revolvers are always much much better than automatic pistols.
That's a very debatable point, and depends entirely on circumstances.

Yes, on raw reliability, revolvers have an edge. That doesn't mean automatics are inherently unreliable. If properly maintained, loaded, and operated they're very unlikely to give up. I do actually know from experience. I've handled enough firearms that people have deemed "unreliable", and usually, they can be brought into line with proper technique.

I could also ramble on about the edges that revolvers (can) have on power, accuracy, etc...

... but in the end, the advantages of the magazine are considerable. There is a reason why most police forces/armies/agencies/etc use semi-automatic pistols.

...although why you wouldn't want one for the cool factor anyway is beyond me.
I'm inclined to agree with PrecinctOmega - I find semi automatics more impressive. All the moving parts and flying casings. Admittedly, that's what makes them less reliable, but cool and reliable are not mutually inclusive.

Exitas-Acta-Probat
13-12-2009, 02:25
i think it would depend on your character - is he a wild west type; one shot does the job; kinda guy?, or is he more....trigger happy?
i personally prefer revolvers, as i feel that they lend themselves nicely to beating your adversary over the head with them once youve run out of ammo. what with their simple and robust desgin. imo.