PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything more absurd than 40k?

kikkoman
07-08-2009, 06:13
What's the most absurd thing you can think of in 40k?

Can you think of a more insane setting? Honestly, this has been in my head for the last few days and I can't think of anything more bizarre.

to start it off, absurdity...

that sisters of battle organ rocket launcher. I've never seen anything like that in any other setting, story, anything.

ehlijen
07-08-2009, 06:35
How is an organ rocket launcher absurd when 'stalin's organ' was an actual historical nickname for the russian Katyusha (I think that's how you spell it) rocket batteries, which did in fact share superficial similarities with pipe organs?

Signal
07-08-2009, 06:45
Chaos Noise Marine sonic blasters were quite literally heavy metal guitars that rocked your face off.

AfroCelt
07-08-2009, 06:48
absurdity? look no further than the Emperor. A human that somehow has lived for millennia BEFORE getting plugged into the mother of all life support systems.

Psykers. Warp travel...heck...Daemons and all that.

It's a great setting, but never look at things like this with your logical mind; all you end up with are headaches.

Troah
07-08-2009, 06:56
space Marines are absurd.

Brother Alexos
07-08-2009, 06:59
Marines aren't as abserd as Ratlings. Why give midgets sniper rifles? sure, they're crack shots, but theyll only hit the enemy's kneecaps.

Its also absurd when the opposing player decides to send two 20ft tall daemon princes against a squad of midgets.

Angelwing
07-08-2009, 07:05
I find real life to be quite absurd. Silly things in 40k have the excuse that it's the 40k setting!

Yautja
07-08-2009, 07:08
I love the over the top background. I'll keep my piratical aliens, shooting barbarian fungus, while genetically engineered super soldiers kill everything around them.

PikeZ33
07-08-2009, 07:41
The IG lasgun firing at a vehicle tops at an armor penetration of 9, which is not enough to glance a log cabin if you're going off the recommended rules for building armor values in the rulebook.

Defying physics, sci-fi tech and magic are fine as long as they acknowledge what theyre doing something crazy and give some reason for why theyre bending reality. What's absurd is how background stories from different authors vary the abilities of space marines. Three land raiders, a BT chaplain and commander, brethern squads can't accomplish their mission to start up a dreadnought because of some chaos renegades and end up dying, but Ventris without power armor breaks into and out of an Iron Warrior fortress twice? Calgar can hold off an endless horde of Orks by himself, but the Crimson Fists chapter critically fails when trying to do the same. I'm not UM bashing, those are only the examples that came to me easily. I'm sure you guys can think of other examples.

big squig
07-08-2009, 07:49
The shock attack gun is pretty high up there.

druchii7
07-08-2009, 08:39
the answer is of course:

warhammer fantasy battles:

there are tanks, rocket launchers, organ cannons, and a bunch of sensless and unnecesary rules.

Bookwrak
07-08-2009, 08:53
Can you think of a more insane setting? Honestly, this has been in my head for the last few days and I can't think of anything more bizarre.
You're lack of imagination and experience are most disappointing.

Just off the top of my head, more bizarre games would include:
The World of Synnibarr: Earth decided to fall into the sun Sun. A god happened to stop by, hollowed out Mars and stuffed everyone inside. God dies, Mars takes off somewhere, billions die but no one seems to really notice. Most notable for bears with laser eyes and psychic clams.
Human Occupied Landfill: turn grimdarkness up to 11, add black comedy and a complete inhibition about crossing every line there is.
Kill Puppies for Satan: posterboy for truth in titling. :evilgrin: Took the line from H.O.L. and then buggered it to death.
Paranoia: You do not have the authorization to read this description. Please report to the nearest disintegration booth.
Teenagers from Outer Space: About what it sounds like. Never detonate a popcorn bomb in the mall courtyard. It won't end well.
SLA Industries (it's at least on par with 40k for GrimDark - not surprisingly since they both sprang from the same part of the world around the same time)

More absurd (in the most negative of senses):
Racial Holy War - the rpg where you're a raging white warrior oppressed on all sides by the tide of unwashed minorities, yadda yadda yadda. Given the focus on combat, they forget to write rules on how to shoot and do damage.
Also, morale modifiers mean whichever side is more numerous will scare off the other one. If your shotgun-toting arayan warrior is surrounded by four jewish grandmothers with walkers, he will soil himself and run away screaming.

F.A.T.A.L: The most realistic rpg ever. How do I know? Because when the creators released the pdf, they raided a whole bunch of forums singing it's praises and started a whole bunch of flame wars because everyone who read it hated it. 1000 pages of gross sexism, racism, poor taste, and a 10,000 entry random table of magical effects. Best summed up by the bestiary entry on the bugbear: 3 paragraphs long. The shortest paragraph described them and what they did for a living. The second longest described their own unpleasant reproductive habits. The longest described in excessive detail the vile buggery (literally) that any prisoners they took were subjected to.

Wraeththu: The world has ended, and been taken over by androgynous beings with flowers instead of genitals. Sometimes these flowers shoot acid. They want to make you one of them. You will become beautiful and have flowers for genitals. Unless you get the acid. There's one clan of angry Wraeththu whose warchant ends with 'And make your damned soul go FOOM!'

As far as completely redunkulous settings go, 40k really isn't that far from standard fare for the sci-fantasy genre.

Awilla the Hun
07-08-2009, 10:02
Well, I've recently been reading a book entitled "The Somnambulist" by Jonathan Barnes.

As its cast includes a milk drinking, mute giant who is immune to pain, a stage magician detective who has a sexual thing for bearded ladies (this is set in the Edwardian period, you understand), a villain who wants to resurrect Samuel Coleridge to make his utopia, and characters with names like Arthur Barge, The Prefects (a pair of daemonic assassins who behave like Just William), and a firm called Love, Love, Love and Love, I think I may have just found it.

Oh, and there's a character with a calling card containing a quote from Revelations: "Surely I am Coming".

Compared to this, the Imperium of Man begins to make sense.

Oh, and that Terry Goodkind can ever be considered an author of genius (whilst such comparative greats as Christopher Paolini and Stehpanie Meyer lanquish in internet hell-emphasis on comparative) remains another strange absurdity. Does CP randomly insert an S and M sequence into his books for precisely no reason? Well, yes if you include all the references to Arya, but not really.

Poseidal
07-08-2009, 10:51
In imagery, some thing can be pretty crazy but I find that as a unified setting it makes more sense than most other fantasy setting (like D&D) or even established Sci-Fi (I find that it's far less absurd than many established books that are apparently meant to be thought provoking or whatnot).

The imagery gets pretty silly, with HUGE MONSTER HIVE TYRANTS with a sword and whip (I find that pretty funny actually).

Dr. Hellbeast
07-08-2009, 10:56
I very much like the 40K universe. It packages different archetypes with refreshing creativity usually.

Feels richer than, say, the Star Trek universe, where different plasticine shapes stuck on the bridge of the nose is the limit of xeno variation.

Poseidal
07-08-2009, 11:05
I very much like the 40K universe. It packages different archetypes with refreshing creativity usually.

Feels richer than, say, the Star Trek universe, where different plasticine shapes stuck on the bridge of the nose is the limit of xeno variation.
Not to mention the Planet of the Hats problem that started with TNG.

Vulkans for example, had loads of different parts to their culture, and more hairstyles. They then got flanderised (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization) into the single hairstyle race they have now, where they forgot the reasons why Vulcans choose Logic (though recently restored in the new reset movie, yay!). The variation hairstyles you got in TOS and Saavik disappeared seemingly in TNG.

Thankfully, 40k (mostly) hasn't gone down that route.

battle captain corpus
07-08-2009, 11:08
Two lashes

Corpus

BaronDG
07-08-2009, 11:27
There was a comic called Nemesis the warlock. It has had some influence on 40k. In one scene there was an organ called: the Pandemonium, which also functioned as a weapon.
So there!

borithan
07-08-2009, 12:07
the answer is of course:

warhammer fantasy battles:

there are tanks, rocket launchers, organ cannons,Rocket and organ cannons both existed in the real medieval/renaissance world of which WFB is a fantasy version of. OK... steam tanks didn't, and some of the forms the aforementioned weapons take are just odd, but not any odder than anything else you get in your average fantasy setting.

In imagery, some thing can be pretty crazy but I find that as a unified setting it makes more sense than most other fantasy setting (like D&D) or even established Sci-FiThats certainly true. "True" science fiction can sometimes just get weird.

where they forgot the reasons why Vulcans choose LogicEh? They did? I don't remember them doing that. They didnt make much of an issue of it, but then there were no Vulcan main characters. The hairstyle point is fairly true (though of all the races Vulcans seem the most likely to all share similar hairstyles. Its the fact that Romulans have exactly the same hairstyle that is off).

hugsforthebloodgod
07-08-2009, 12:10
On the dial of life Ultimate Cool lies right next to Utterly Silly. 40k lies in the gap between the two.

x-esiv-4c
07-08-2009, 12:13
Is there anything more absurd then 40k?
Try Star-Trek.

Poseidal
07-08-2009, 12:21
Eh? They did? I don't remember them doing that. They didnt make much of an issue of it, but then there were no Vulcan main characters. The hairstyle point is fairly true (though of all the races Vulcans seem the most likely to all share similar hairstyles. Its the fact that Romulans have exactly the same hairstyle that is off).

Well, I'm not sure if they 'forgot' as such, but they all got portrayed as 2 dimensional caricatures in later shows.

I think the hair bug is one that spread because Vulcans and Romulans share the same ancestry, all of them must be 100% carbon copies visually.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
07-08-2009, 12:39
I was always a fan of Transmetropolitan comics. As absurd as things seem there (with makers, and gene-splice-junkies, xeno immigrants who have nothing better to off than their genetic structure for liberals to wear), it also has a horrifying amount of realism in there. I'm not going to make this a political or religious post, but I do find the statement that truth is stranger than fiction to be very true. People really have no fugging clue what kind of crap goes down here on Earth.

eyescrossed
07-08-2009, 14:07
Warhammer Fantasy. Why?

Two words: Blood Bowl.

Max Jet
07-08-2009, 15:01
40k absurd? Yes.
Is there anything even MORE absurd? Hell yes! XD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutant_Chronicles

qwertywraith
07-08-2009, 17:48
Has no one heard of this place called Japan? Not that the place is absurd, just the fiction that comes out of there.

kikkoman
07-08-2009, 17:55
How is an organ rocket launcher absurd when 'stalin's organ' was an actual historical nickname for the russian Katyusha (I think that's how you spell it) rocket batteries, which did in fact share superficial similarities with pipe organs?

because in 40k it's literally a pipe organ covered in skulls with a battlenun behind the keys.

The World of Synnibarr: Earth decided to fall into the sun Sun. A god happened to stop by, hollowed out Mars and stuffed everyone inside. God dies, Mars takes off somewhere, billions die but no one seems to really notice. Most notable for bears with laser eyes and psychic clams.
The fall of the eldar is that x100,000,000,000
40k has orangutans that build lasers. orks are psychic fungus

Human Occupied Landfill: turn grimdarkness up to 11, add black comedy and a complete inhibition about crossing every line there is.
welcome to Necromunda

Kill Puppies for Satan: posterboy for truth in titling. :evilgrin: Took the line from H.O.L. and then buggered it to death.
boink a diseased pig for chaos

Paranoia: You do not have the authorization to read this description. Please report to the nearest disintegration booth.
helloo Inquisition

Teenagers from Outer Space
aka Eldar Pirates

Racial Holy War
fear the alien!!

F.A.T.A.L:
CS Goto's writing

Wraeththu: The world has ended, and been taken over by androgynous beings with flowers instead of genitals.
hmmm... well tyranid guns are basically giant bone plated genitals with venom sacks and whatnot propelled by muscle spasm.
Ask an old enough eldar and they've probably had something similar happen to them.

40k is also such that many many many different kinds of absurdities exist in the same universe.

Poseidal
07-08-2009, 18:00
F.A.T.A.L.
CS Goto's writing

Oh my, I literally laughed out loud when I read that. It makes so much sense now.

Lord Cook
07-08-2009, 18:04
flanderised (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization)

Please don't do that. Linking to TVtropes is like rick-rolling someone and then forcing them to watch the video for half an hour, on repeat. Before you know it you've got a dozen tabs open simultaneously and what you're reading has no relation to the OP.

On topic, real history is more absurd than 40k. Trust me.

IJW
07-08-2009, 19:22
40k has orangutans that build lasers.
Go look up "The Mote in God's Eye" by Niven and Pournelle. ;)

welcome to Necromunda
helloo Inquisition
You've not actually read HOL or the weirder* Paranoia stuff, have you?

*"Do Androids Dream of Electronic Killer Sheep", for example. Or, come to that, anything by Phillip K. Dick will usually make the 40k universe look normal and predictable.

Makiaveli
08-08-2009, 00:40
Marines aren't as abserd as Ratlings. Why give midgets sniper rifles? sure, they're crack shots, but theyll only hit the enemy's kneecaps.

Its also absurd when the opposing player decides to send two 20ft tall daemon princes against a squad of midgets.

The players. I mean ^^ seriously? Aim a bit higher than straight ahead......

As to the second part, squashing snipers is a bad thing?

wartorngetahroun74
08-08-2009, 01:16
I have seen verry little that is absurd with the 40K universe. Im impressed with the creativity of the writers, designers and most of the other 40K staff. One also needs to remember that not all of the 40K universe comes from their staff. They use a lot of playtestes that are not GW staff. They take what those playtesters have to say, and rework the system if need be. Not just the game mechaincs, but the fluff as well.

guillimansknight
08-08-2009, 01:54
The fact they ruined the game by making EVERYTHING anti-marines?
(EVEN THE MARINES ARE ANTI-MARINE!!!!)

Or that GW keep upping the price while constantly closing stores?
And that codexes dont last for any amount of time ?

Makiaveli
08-08-2009, 02:36
And that codexes dont last for any amount of time ?

Yea!!! They keep publishing the damn Dark Eldar codex every 15 years or so!!!

Steel Legion for Life
08-08-2009, 02:47
There's a book by Tim Powers called "The anubis gate", which features:-

*Time travel for the sole purposes of meeting famous literary figures.
*Egyptian sorcerors who will explode if the touch the ground and walk on stilts.
*A lead sorceror who repels the earth so strongly he is killed by being taken outside and left to float into space.
*A legion of "spoonsized boys" who are vicious 3" tall killers lead by a giant evil stiltwalking clown.
*Lord Byron turning out to have been made of butter.
*The main character turning out to be his own idolized famous poet, despite the massive paradox this creates (he learned the poetry at university - so who wrote it originally?)

guillimansknight
08-08-2009, 02:49
Yea!!! They keep publishing the damn Dark Eldar codex every 15 years or so!!!

Ohh yeah forgot about them

how many SM codexes has their been since that thing was released ?

I bought my DE codex well after it was released and i think there has been 4 SM codexes out since i got it

Nonalyth
08-08-2009, 03:18
What's more absurd than 40k?

The amount we're willing to pay for the models -_-

it's coming this way!
08-08-2009, 03:32
@Steel Legion for Life: Is that book worth reading? It sounds like it could either be awesome, or the worst thing ever printed on paper.

On topic, I'd say hallucinogen grenades are a pretty silly idea. That or biker-gang space dwarves.

onidemon
08-08-2009, 06:04
I'm going to vote for "Final Fantasy VIII"

As I recall, it had absurdities that make 40k look like Ken Burn's civil war.

You had a world where radios don't work but space travel does, people fighting with six foot swords with pistol grips, sixteen year old commandos being sent on D-day beach landings fighting robot spiders with satan who they enslaved by beating him in combat during a highschool exam. The moon is full of poke'mon and when our hero is left to die with his lover in space... oops, a giant super powerful warship turns up five feet away from them with no crew but plenty of oxygen and they know how to pilot it somehow.

Of course, I'm sure there's someone that loved that game, absurdities and all, and in the same way 40k is still awesome, as silly as it gets sometimes. :)

AllisterCaine
08-08-2009, 06:21
I'd have to agree with the Star Trek universe.

Missions of peace and exploration?

A united federation of planets??

Peace and a golden age for all mankind???

A part of me wishes that the federation would act more like the Imperium. That would make things a lot more interesting.

Captain Frankus
08-08-2009, 06:23
Snip snip "Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep" snip
Oh God....
So many confusing subplots! The horror! :cries:

squeekenator
08-08-2009, 06:55
Can't think of much that's more absurd (and awesome) than space zombie robot Viking superhumans being shot at their enemy by passing spacecraft.

Seth the Dark
08-08-2009, 07:45
I can't believe anything more ridiculous than questioning the 40k universe. Heresy I say! *grabs flamer*

Imperialis_Dominatus
08-08-2009, 08:23
bears with laser eyes

Oh God. Do those come in Cavalry flavor?

On the dial of life Ultimate Cool lies right next to Utterly Silly. 40k lies in the gap between the two.

QFT.

because in 40k it's literally a pipe organ covered in skulls with a battlenun behind the keys.

The fall of the eldar is that x100,000,000,000
40k has orangutans that build lasers. orks are psychic fungus

welcome to Necromunda

boink a diseased pig for chaos

helloo Inquisition

aka Eldar Pirates

fear the alien!!

CS Goto's writing

hmmm... well tyranid guns are basically giant bone plated genitals with venom sacks and whatnot propelled by muscle spasm.
Ask an old enough eldar and they've probably had something similar happen to them.

40k is also such that many many many different kinds of absurdities exist in the same universe.

XD

Please don't do that. Linking to TVtropes is like rick-rolling someone and then forcing them to watch the video for half an hour, on repeat. Before you know it you've got a dozen tabs open simultaneously and what you're reading has no relation to the OP.

Heh heh heh heh... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Warhammer40000)

Difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense.

What's more absurd than 40k?

The amount we're willing to pay for the models -_-

QFT.

Missions of peace and exploration?

A united federation of planets??

Peace and a golden age for all mankind???

HERESY!

Lord Cook
08-08-2009, 15:37
Heh heh heh heh... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Warhammer40000)

Your fiendish attempt has failed sir! I was in and out in less than ten minutes!

Captain Micha
08-08-2009, 15:42
*bombs ID for tvtropes* Damn you sir! I had just escaped someone else's tropage!

carltmc
08-08-2009, 15:45

QFT. I lost a day of work on Tvtropes.

Ekranoplan
08-08-2009, 16:32
David Lynch's Dune is pretty absurd. It has a cat that was sewed to a rat, and its milk was required as an antidote for a poison.

Revlid
08-08-2009, 16:38
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?
One Piece?

Hell, there's quite a bit of stuff that's more absurd than 40k.
There's even some stuff that's more absurd than is 40k and is still good.

But there ain't nuthin' more GRIMDARK than 40k.

Bookwrak
08-08-2009, 17:04
SLA Industries.

Ekranoplan
08-08-2009, 17:28
Lexx, and sci fi tv series produced by the Canadians and Germans is very absurd. It has reanimated corpses, talking brains, and girls in miniskirts. Lots of 1950s elements, but none of the suppossed wholesomeness of the 50s.

Others have mentioned Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick. That novel is absurd, but it is probably his least absurd novel. Try reading Valis, or The Eye in the Sky, or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. These are not his most absurd books, but just the first ones to come to mind. In fact, you should read all of his books at some point.

spetswalshe
08-08-2009, 18:12

How exactly do they get to a high vantage point?

Why do they usually have prominent sideburns?

AllisterCaine
08-08-2009, 18:15
Oh God. Do those come in Cavalry flavor?

Did someone say bear cavalry?!

djinn8
08-08-2009, 18:38

Dang! That's what he meant. I was thinking of bears riding horses.

AllisterCaine
08-08-2009, 19:20

There's that too.

Kurisu313
08-08-2009, 22:47
One piece
Contains:
Fruits with names, despite each being one-of-a-kind
A rubber man
A man who fights with a sword in his mouth
A man capable of superheating his legs by spinning
A half-human half-reindeer
An afro-sporting skeleton musician
A green-haired, three-chinned, cola-powered cyborg
A woman who can sprout arms and legs anywhere
A sheep-headed sentient ship
A ship capable of flying by means of a cola-powered engine

And thats just the good guys!

Imperialis_Dominatus
09-08-2009, 01:46
So nothing is really more absurdly grimdark than 40k, but things can be more absurd in general.

Your fiendish attempt has failed sir! I was in and out in less than ten minutes!

Curses, foiled again!... I myself lost four hours of my life by simply linking to that page.

*bombs ID for tvtropes* Damn you sir! I had just escaped someone else's tropage!

VICTORY IS MINE!

QFT. I lost a day of work on Tvtropes.

Heheheh.

Yeah, but these have laser eyes. We're totally screwed. Game over, man, game over!

Ye gods, what hath man wrought...

There's that too.

*flees in terror*

madprophet
09-08-2009, 07:28
40k is heavily influenced by Frank Herbert's Dune - in fact, with only minimal tinkering with the fluff, it makes a damn good simulator for the Duneverse. The main difference is Herbert looked to Islam for inspiration while 40k looks at the Holy Roman Empire for inspiration. :angel:

Yes, you can go over the top (it's damned easy to do in the 40k universe) but with a little thought you can make the 40k universe into anything you want it to be. I like the Dune aspects of it - I see my Guard Army as my household troops and like the direction GW has gone with the Planetstrike, Cities of Death and Apocalypse supplements. :cool:

If you are looking for a hard science type game, look at Striker or Stargrunt II (available as a free PDF from Ground Zero Games), 40k figures work rather well with Stargrunt (while there is an official figures line associated with the game, their use is completely optional).

40k is Science Fantasy. Think Star Wars rather than Foundation Trilogy. Don't try to figure out the underlying technical architecture (you'll only get a headache) just go with the story.

Signal
09-08-2009, 07:37
But there ain't nuthin' more GRIMDARK than 40k.

I agree with that one. On one hand, I can understand that the 40k universe needs to be so GRIMDARK in order to always give us table top players a reason to have our armies tear each other apart. However, 40k often gets so GRIMDARK that it just gets downright absurd. Funny part is that I actually don't mind the silly amount of unnecessary death and destruction going on, because it starts to read like a dark comedy. Dr. Strangelove dialed up to 11. :evilgrin:

40k is Science Fantasy. Think Star Wars rather than Foundation Trilogy. Don't try to figure out the underlying technical architecture (you'll only get a headache) just go with the story.
This.

Kriegfreak
09-08-2009, 07:51
Orks

Space-Travel

chromedog
09-08-2009, 08:23
I'd have to agree with the Star Trek universe.

A part of me wishes that the federation would act more like the Imperium. That would make things a lot more interesting.

You really need to watch the "mirror universe" episodes.
DS9 had a few.
Enterprise had a few as well (and they were the best episodes of that show).

TAOC
09-08-2009, 08:26
p much orks

Charax
09-08-2009, 08:29
"The Truth" in SLA Industries is about the most absurd thing I've ever read. No wonder most players think it's better if you ignore it.

Paranoia's absurd in the extreme. Our GM made us play a scenario from White Dwarf at some point that has mexican pop-culture-referencing daleks.

Oh, and the Red Dwarf RPG, naturally.

Ekranoplan
09-08-2009, 16:47
The whole debacle of weather or not Pluto was a planet was pretty absurd.

Moriarty
09-08-2009, 17:43
The fact that the UK has only one Monopolies Comission?

Hrw-Amen
09-08-2009, 18:01
I quite like the etting although there are some slly elements to it admittedly, but then there are silly elements to life but that does nto stop it being real.

I have to admit though that regardless of what you think of Space Marines as an army option, who in the real world, or especially in one as dark and dangerous as a W40K world would call an organisation that was supposed to be the pinnicle of human warrior achievement 'Space' Marines. It just sounds silly, up there with 'Space' Orks and 'Space' Dwarves as they used to be called. I mean what was just wrong with Marines?

As I understand it they had thier origins in the wars of unification on Earth. Were they called 'Space' Marines then, or did that only come about when they actually went into space? I mean nobody called the early astronauts who were test pilots 'Space' Test pilots did they? (Maybe they did I don't know?) It is a it like called Navy Seals or the SAS, 'Ocean' Marines, it just does not happen.

Yes, that has annoyed me for a long time now! Just Marines would be so much better.

Lord Cook
09-08-2009, 18:11
It is a it like called Navy Seals or the SAS, 'Ocean' Marines, it just does not happen.

Minor trivia, but the SAS is part of the British Army, not the Navy. The equivalent to the Navy SEALs would be the Special Boat Service (SBS). On topic, I find it infuriating when people refer to the Orks as 'Space Orks', so I completely agree with you.

Ekranoplan
09-08-2009, 19:30
I quite like the etting although there are some slly elements to it admittedly, but then there are silly elements to life but that does nto stop it being real.

I have to admit though that regardless of what you think of Space Marines as an army option, who in the real world, or especially in one as dark and dangerous as a W40K world would call an organisation that was supposed to be the pinnicle of human warrior achievement 'Space' Marines. It just sounds silly, up there with 'Space' Orks and 'Space' Dwarves as they used to be called. I mean what was just wrong with Marines?

As I understand it they had thier origins in the wars of unification on Earth. Were they called 'Space' Marines then, or did that only come about when they actually went into space? I mean nobody called the early astronauts who were test pilots 'Space' Test pilots did they? (Maybe they did I don't know?) It is a it like called Navy Seals or the SAS, 'Ocean' Marines, it just does not happen.

Yes, that has annoyed me for a long time now! Just Marines would be so much better.

I agree, but I suppose I have gotten use to the term "space marines" so it seems normal now.

I find the name Ultramarines to be very silly aswell. Might as well have called them Super Marines or Mega Marines as far as I am concerned. I can remember always using 'ultra' as a prefix as a kid (ie ultra cool) so when I first heard of Ultramarines i thought it was kind of an uncreative name.

Poseidal
09-08-2009, 19:56
Ultra Marines were named as a pun on their colour.

Hrw-Amen
09-08-2009, 21:00
Ultra Marines were named as a pun on their colour.

Maybe so but it still sounds ridiculous. Why not have Cobaltmarines or Snotgreenmarines?

Surgency
09-08-2009, 21:41

I failed. I spent 2 hours there... :wtf:

genestealer_baldric
09-08-2009, 22:30
2 words = Paris Hilton

not much can beat that

seriously Fanstay larping i just dont get. Dont get me wrong i do airsoft which is Modern Tech Larp but painting people green and pretending to be a troll i dont get, but If thats your cup of tea then who cares.

for good absurbed : all terry prackett (sp) is so wonderfully bizzare i love it

Logarithm Udgaur
10-08-2009, 03:34

Is Synnibarr the setting for Spacemaster? It sounds like the setting I remember, but I may have just had an imaginative GM.
Well, I am off to find me a copy of F.A.T.A.L.

le bard
10-08-2009, 04:27
forgive me if it's been mentioned, but Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "Trilogy in Five Parts" far outscores anything i've ever seen in absurdity.

it contains:
a spaceship that uses improbability to get around
a spaceship that uses the interactions of an italian bistro to get around
killer cricket playing robots
a character named "Slartibartfast"
a restaurant where diners can view the universe coming to an end
the Agrajag character, who upon being accidentally killed by the main character, reincarnates multiple times only to be accidentally killed by the same person in every single life.
elvis singing in a diner on a distant planet
people who fly by "throwing themselves at the ground and missing"
a chronically depressed android
an unlimited number of universes due to a probability "branching out" of sorts
mice who built the earth
and lots of drinking

not to mention Adams's excellent writing style.

Logarithm Udgaur
10-08-2009, 10:30
I mean nobody called the early astronauts who were test pilots 'Space' Test pilots did they? (Maybe they did I don't know?) It is a it like called Navy Seals or the SAS, 'Ocean' Marines, it just does not happen.

Many people still refer to astronauts as "Spacemen." SEAL is an (bad) acronym for sea, air land, so in a certain way, they are called ocean marines.