PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of 3 Gamers Begins!

Raurth
07-08-2009, 05:14
Hello all, and welcome to the project log for our new Tale of 3 Gamers! In this, we will be creating brand new armies, and working them up over the upcoming months, painting everything before expanding the army sizes.

We'll be starting at 500 points, just enough for some minor skirmishes, and working up by 250 points per month. Every week, on our gaming night of Mondays, we'll be playing each other, and members of our gaming group, and posting Battle Reports and sitreps following those. A points table will be tallied, where we are awarded points based on Wins, Draws, Losses, amount painted and "super secret speshul taskz", which will be decided a week before they are due and add a little spice to proceedings! At the end of the Tale (1500 points or bankcruptcy, whichever comes first) we'll be working out a winner, and buying them something large.

Before we start running down the armies, however, here's a run-down of who you'll be meeting and experiencing the thrills, spills and slaughter with:

Myself - My name's Pete, I've been Gaming for years but only recently got back into GW products, having moved and found a gaming group with people at work. I'll be running a new Imperial Guard army, the Lastrati Lucky Strikes, aimed mainly towards a combined arms, infantry supported tank company type job. My painting skills are "rusty" but I'll be doing my best to keep up with my worthy opponents. The biggest challenge this Tale will bring to me is staying committed, especially considering the size of the task ahead of me!

Dan - Dan is an ex-GW employee, who will be bringing the Ultrasmurfs to the arena, starting with 500 points and creating an "as canon as possible" 4th Company Ultramarine army. His painting skills are excellent, as would be expected, and his playing skills are pretty good too, as long as he's not playing crazy drop-pod armies. Dan's biggest problem will be sticking to a solid idea, in the 8 months I've known him he's switched armies 5 times. The perils of GW employment.

Pat - Pat's our resident champion, undefeated in the months we've been gaming together, the closest anyone has come is forcing a draw (that was me!). He originally considered starting a Tau army, but after borrowing someone's spares, and going 4 wins in a row without losing more than 300 points in those 4 combined (that's in 1500 point battles against not bad armies) he decided he'd go for something with a little more conversion/coolness scope. Pat will be bringing the full force of Waagh Wazdakka to bear, with a bike-mounted Orky Army of "Oh my god is that toughness SIX?!?" Pat is also an ex-GW employee, featured in the "Collector's Guide" for his painting.. oh, and he's won a few GTs aswell.

I think I can safely say I'm well and truly fethed.

The project log will be updated as often as possible, but updates are more likely from Monday-Wednesday as those are our days off.

Without further ado, here's our first day!

We begun with a full breakfast of gaming champions, at the local breakfast cafe, with some heart-stopping goodness, fully prepared for our gaming extravaganza to begun. After eating our way through an Ogrin's load of chips, we popped down to our local gaming store, Other Realms, and financed their new houses, purchasing the below in a single fell swoop of shelf emptying spending power:

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=48

Yes, that's two Imperial Guard sets I have to assemble and paint in less than a month. Go me!

After lining our shopping up all pretty like, and having our hearts deflated by a cry of "ooh what nice toy soldiers" we returned to our own hovels for a few days of glue filled-fun, culminating in a supreme headache!

Pat was quick off the mark, assembling his tiny force and submitting me some rather nifty looking photos!

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=51

Pat created his Buggy/Wartrukk thing from a large vehicle, cut down into a smaller one. He's nifty like that.

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=50

He continued to show off his fancy pants, with more pictures of his lovely wartrukk/rokkity thing! All of those orks are removeable as casualties.

Finally, Pat's force was fully assembled, minus Wazzdakka himself (Forgeworld should be delivering it soon) see the end results below:

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=49

That's 6 Bikers with Wazzdakka, 10 choppy ladz with a nob, bosspole and Klaw, a buggy for them to vroom around in, and a Wartrukk with a Rokkit. 500 points all told.

Myself and Dan's armies are assembled, but I don't have a camera, and Dan is slacking like a french truck driver, so it's time to end today's update!

Stay tuned for some fancy new stuff, including:

Dan's Ultramarine 500 point offering.
My Imperial Guard Meatwall.
Our first painted models (Dun dun duuuuun!)
Our first battle reports.

Edit: Holy Emperor those images are ginormous, I'll be cropping them down shortly.

eltanko
07-08-2009, 08:54
Well, you certainly have plenty to be getting on with! Look forward to seeign them painted, and what the others have to offer :)

ElTanko

Pekly
07-08-2009, 08:58
I be waiting on a speed freaks orkz. Its look good.

Fourth Company Veteran
07-08-2009, 11:45
Lo all,

Well it’s time to pull a Spiderman and reveal my secret Identity, Yes I am Dan. Apart from that there is not much else to say, except that my overall and ambitious goal apart from destroying Pete and possibly denting Pat would be to collect the entire 4th Company, purely because you don't see many around!

Will be doing some painting today in my new house (yes sadly I'm moving house at the same time, although that’s no excuse!) And will get pictures to Pete later on.

Cheers!

Also thought I should add. All Ultramarines will be painted using Regal/Enchanted/Ice blue as a feel that Ultramarine blue is far too pastel like and deserves only to be on bathroom walls and old ladies cardigans.

Raurth
08-08-2009, 13:04
Second update Time!

This being a workday, and myself without a camera, this is still a small update, however, you can now start to see the workings of an army!

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=53

First up, we have a photo of Dan's first 5 marines, who have begun the painting process!

Second:

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=52

The combined force!

Here we have:

A 10 Man Tactical Squad w/ Plasma Cannon and Plasma Gun
A 5 Man Scout Squad w/ 4 Snipers and a Missile Launcher
5 Assault Marines
Chaplain with a Jump-pack.

A small but elite force!

Fourth Company Veteran
08-08-2009, 14:06
Notice the lack of shoulder pads, I have however ordered them all today so they should arrive soon! Until then I have a reason for any failed armour saves.

Warlord Nazgred
08-08-2009, 17:22
lol I was wondering

Raurth
08-08-2009, 17:30
Hopefully being updated tonight we'll have:

The first finished Ultramarine, the first finished Speed Freek, and the first finished Guardsman!

We also have the possibility of another 4-5 players being added onto the tale, as our gaming group caught wind of the idea and it's spiralling out of control!

Stay tuned :D

duckface
08-08-2009, 20:06
im liking both of the armies shown particuly the ork army im guessing its goner be speed freek / evil sunz cant wait to see the gaurdsmen mate p.s what shoulder pads did you order.

duckface

Fourth Company Veteran
08-08-2009, 20:11
Item Number Description Price Qty Subtotal
99060101373 Tactical Squad Shoulder Pads 1 7.50 1 7.50
99060101374 Tactical Squad Shoulder Pads 2 7.50 1 7.50
99060101375 Assault Squad Shoulder Pads 7.50 1 7.50
99060101369 Ultramarines Shoulder Pads 7.50 2 15.00

Damn workshop and their awesome sculpted shoulders!

Dan

Raurth
09-08-2009, 13:33
As promised, here is the update! Please accept my apologies for the quality of the photographs, they were taken at 4am and do, in no way, bring justice to the quality of the painting. Please also imagine every model about 4 shades darker :P

First of all, we have the combined force of the 777th Lastrati Lucky Strikes:

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=54

Thats 2 Armoured Sentinels with autocannons, 2 infantry squads with autocannons, 2 with plasma, and a Command Squad with 2 snipers and a mortar (soon to be 4 snipers.)

Next, we have some finished models! The first is Dan's 4th Company Ultramarine.

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=61

He looks pretty luminescent in that picture, and the highlighting (due to a directly overhead light and big ass flash) looks extremely glaring. Hopefully we'll be able to get some better, darker, pictures soon :)

The Speed Freak tester model!

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=59

And, the first finished Guardsman.

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=58

Hope you enjoy, I will replace the pictures at somepoint with ones in better lighting condition.

Edit: Now with new, less shiney images!

Fourth Company Veteran
09-08-2009, 19:05
Holy Calgars Testicles that blue is ten million times brighter than in real life :confused:

Ach well, least thats one down and 20 to go - how you doing Pete :evilgrin:

Dan

Aha, Pete you legend you've put up my fixed pic!

Raurth
10-08-2009, 16:14
Quick update!

Heading off to our first 500 point battles today, will post some pictures of our boards and terrain, aswell as some more of the finished models.

Stay tuned (or tune in!)

shaso_iceborn
10-08-2009, 16:21
looking good guys

Mega Nutz
10-08-2009, 17:25
Great opening/start...look forward to more! Really like the ork vehicles and paint!!

lukebardy
10-08-2009, 18:11
cool, loving the progress, particularly the ultras, even though smurfs arnt my forte, im looking for interesting schemes to paint my battle company when it turns up.

Raurth
10-08-2009, 23:33
Unfortunately we were cameraless this evening for our games, or so caught up in it that we forgot to take any!

Highlight of the evening (for me at least) is Wazdakka, he who killed a Titan (while on fire), falling in combat to a sentinel's single attack.

We will have some more photos soon I believe, as Pat has forged ahead completing 4 of his orky boys!

Funkychef1
10-08-2009, 23:58
Awsome work, I can't wait to see more :)

*wanders off muttering to self "must not start a new army"*

Seretar
11-08-2009, 01:01
Looking good guys! I'm James, Pete's brother posting from Boston Massachusetts and I'm loving what you've done so far! I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for updates!

Fourth Company Veteran
11-08-2009, 15:46
Firstly Lo to Pete's Brother, your living amazingly close to my brother which is a bit surreal!

Right onto last nights ToTG game for all you Loyalists out there!

GAME 1

Against the Lucky Strikes and I'll be honest I didn't fancy my chances against that many guns, but the boys in blue pulled through for me.

We rolled classic table halves for deployment and it was a simple take and hold 2 objective game. I deployed heavily in one corner with everything but the tactical squad who deployed on the opposite side facing Pete and his objective. I had my scouts on my objective, starting the game 1-0 ;) . Pete being cunning split his force to go after both objectives, with a mass of guys on both flanks.

First turn was a bit cagey with the Chaplain and Assault Squad Helvictus hiding in a building, undecided what flank to go after. However once they decided on destroying the left flank they set about it with glee, oaths to Ultramar on their lips!

The tactical squad on the right flank however were unfortunately being destroyed by the mass guard fire, with the 2 combat squads being reduced to a total of 3 marines.

The game however was all brought about by the Assault Squad with Chaplain Argentus crashing into the right flank and laying waste, contesting the objective and giving the Defenders of Ultramar a 1-0 victory!!

All in all a very exciting game and I really can't wait to bulk up my assault squad to do even more damage!

The tactical squad didn't fair so well but I think with a transport things could have gone much better, and scouts - whilst being terrible shots - are worth it for their TROOPS status.

Cheers Pete, but I'm sure you'll get revenge next time for that bastard Lastrati!

Uriain
12-08-2009, 01:24
These are looking great guys, looking forward to seeing future entries.. Definatly subbed

Fourth Company Veteran
12-08-2009, 13:02
Greetings all in this sad time,

**Bad News**

Last night whilst furiously painting more of the Ultramarines I got up to make a cup of tea - I'm a well known fiend for tea. I then came back to my little painting table and not having a place to put my tea I picked my case up and moved it. Just like to point out here and now that case was quite full of paint tubs and tau so it weighed a bit.

After attempting to place the case down again, it slipped in my fingers and fell to my horror directly onto my painted Ultramarines. :cries: After scooping up all the bits that pinged across the room I sat in a rage for about twenty minutes trying to fit them all back together and then hating the obvious cracks, put them in the bin. :mad:

**Good News**

After going to bed and contemplating the disaster I've decided that I'm going to up the challenge by remaining in the challenge and painting a Nurgle Chaos force of 500pts by the end of the month - 18 days.... Its totally doable!

Pictures to follow as well as a general list!

Dan

(P.S. I may have over-dramatised me dropping my case on my marines, but it was a terrible, terrible tragedy for me :cries:)

Raurth
12-08-2009, 14:54
Oh man that sucks Dan, I dropped my case yesterday to, well, by dropped, I mean "Put my feet up on a chair, forgot it was there and kicked it halfway across the room".

Everything survived (I hope).

Now I have to contend with the Archenemy aswell as the green ones!

Magos Errant
12-08-2009, 23:28
Indeed, that is terrible news, Vet! I'm terrible sorry to hear about that.

Well, at least you're going to be starting a new army. Heck, you could probably use some of the Ultramarines with some greenstuff, to form some Nurgle Marines.

Raurth
13-08-2009, 12:57
Out of the darkness of case dropping disaster comes light - well, goop, blood and rust at least!

I present to you, Dan's replacement army, the Nurgle Marines:

Firstly, their Aspiring Champion!

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=64

Next, their Icon Bearer:

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=63

Front view of the Rhino:

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=65

Side View with Squad:

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=62

Hope you enjoy :)

Shadow Fall
13-08-2009, 13:53
where is your gaming club anyway?

Im luvinall the models and what is pat's username cos its scary that he could be commenting on his own marines but no one knows who he is?

Shame about the ultramarine man i was lookin forward to them...

maybe you could now do a chaos legion instead of a battle company? We would love you a hell of a lot more! :D

SF :chrome:

Kravunhive
13-08-2009, 16:24
Wow great stuff guys. I'll be keeping an eye on these armies. Sorry to hear about the Ultramarines Vet. But i look forward to the Nurgle Chaos Marines.

Keep up the good work.

Kravunhive

Fourth Company Veteran
13-08-2009, 17:28
Thanks all for the condolences on my poor plastic guys! A chaos legion or something equally crazy is definately on the cards, I've been going crazy with the painting and assembling to catch up and have to say I'm loving it even more!

Current 500 points list is:

1 Flying Daemon Prince with MoN and Warp Time

5 Plague Marines with Meltagun in a Rhino

5 Plague Marines with Meltagun in a Rhino

Granted its bloody tiny, but its a solid core of speedy (transports) hardcore bastards with a flying beast of destruction raining down the pain!

Have sent Pete the pics of the first finished squad with their Rhino, please excuse the powerfist... that's next month! :D

Dan

Raurth
13-08-2009, 18:34
Holy crap they went up there! And I've just resubmitted them! >.<

Seretar
14-08-2009, 21:53
Awesome painting! WTB more battle reports, now with pictures!! :D

Fourth Company Veteran
16-08-2009, 03:17
Cheers again for Pete for epic picture hosting - much appreciated! And yes much rust, blood and fungi/mould. I have also finished the second Rhino and assembled the Daemon Prince Xaphan!

Currently on holiday in Boston seeing the latest creation in my family an awesome baby Nephew named after wolverine! :D

However being obsessed as I am, I've taken the other 4 plague marines left to finish with me so all I'll have left is the Daemon before the end of the month - pictures will follow and be sent.

Looking forward to more pictures from Pete and Pat, especially Pete's guardsmen - they really look very American World War GI, much cooler in the flesh than our poor pictures can do justice.

Apologies to pat we never got our game before I went, hopefully we can arrange one before the end of the month.

Final thought - suggestions on the next 250? I was thinking something big and cool like a defiler (modelled with a nurgly single eye and horn) or maybe some daemons.

Cheers,

Dan

Speedfreak
16-08-2009, 03:18
Im luvinall the models and what is pat's username cos its scary that he could be commenting on his own marines but no one knows who he is?

Hey, Pat here! I made an account so I can join in the fun rather than watching from the sidelines. :)

I'm glad you guys are liking the models so far. Here's a shot of my progress. More Orks!

http://www.coal-guild.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=10&pictureid=66

The colour scheme is pretty basic on these evil sunz boys. I had to make a lot of compromises as I'm painting on a time limit. I plan on going back and adding some glyphs and flame patterns after the models are all finished, if I have enough time before our deadline. :)

Comments/critiscism welcome!

Shadow Fall
16-08-2009, 14:25
Defiler for the win! :D

go defiler it much more cool to me, although depend whether ur goin fluffy or hairy?

fluffy > defiler Hairy > Another Daemon prince :D

SF :chrome:

Fourth Company Veteran
16-08-2009, 14:42
Well the original theme of the list was that I wanted as many interchangeable parts with a Daemon's list as possible - hence the SG defiler or the summoned Daemons, but I reckon a second Daemon Prince would kick some serious ass!

Sadly the common sense in me also tells me I should probably bulk up my plague marine squads, they're tough but not tough enough to be five man squads forever!

So its all up in the air at the moment need to finish this 500 off first, but can't see there being to much trouble since all that is left is Xaphan and the 4 holiday boys!

Dan

Speedfreak
17-08-2009, 15:47
Hi Dan, your Nurgle marines look great!

I think for your first 250 point expansion you should bulk up the troops squads then add something cool and fun. A second daemon prince would be rather over the top, especially considering the stick you gave me for considering nobs bikers. ;)

As for my own army, I'm considering these 2 options for my first expansion.

7 warbikers, including nob with power klaw and bosspole
1 additional warbuggy with a rokkit

or

12 slugga boys including nob with power klaw and bosspole
in a trukk
+2 additional boys for my first mob, bringing them up to 12
2 deathkoptas with rokkits

I think both options are good as they give me additional troops choices for claiming objectives and some anti tank ability to deal with vehicles I expect to see more of as points increase. I expect I'll probably just choose both forces for 1000 points.

What do you guys think about these options, and do you have any other suggestions for me instead?

Fourth Company Veteran
17-08-2009, 23:02
Lo Pat glad your on the thread and nice progress on the boyz, looking really good!

Your right on the daemon prince - it would be a bit ridiculous and I think Papa Nurgle would strike me down if I didn't bulk the marines up to 7. So it'll be 2 more guys each, another meltagun and powerfist each to complete.

Would love to see more vehicles from you Pat, loved your buggy its awesome in the flesh/plastic so I vote more mechanicals!!!

So now your here, where is Petes update?!

Dan

FalcesImperatoris
18-08-2009, 17:02
Comments/critiscism welcome!

Your orks need gun barrels drilled or painted on, or they wont be doing much shooting with those pistols! ;)

Its a nice green you have for the orks skin, did you use some of the foundation paints for that?

Skurk3n
31-08-2009, 18:32
What has happend no updates for a while now :(

Raurth
31-08-2009, 18:54
My apologies for the lack of updates - due to unforseen work circumstances and holidays, we've decided to back the date up!

That doesn't mean we've stopped (well, some of us :( ) however, we won't be providing 500 points of painted glory for you guys tomorrow.

However!

Dan has informed me that his Nurgle force is completely finished, and updates should be coming tonight!

Fourth Company Veteran
31-08-2009, 20:24
He does not lie, they are loaded into the camera - however I currently don't have internet since I've moved, but I will be delivering them to Pete tomorrow before we go to get more hobby stuff!

Dan

Fourth Company Veteran
03-09-2009, 12:50
Peter!! Where are my pictures! damn you!

Da_Killa
04-09-2009, 12:50
looking good guys. i love the ork buggy/truck conversion