PDA

View Full Version : Easterlings went home?

Marsekay
19-03-2005, 00:31
In the movie version of the two towers, we see a scene where a "company" of Easterlings pass through the black gate into mordor.
I did however seem to notice that they are not even seen in battle in film 3 (Return of the king)
only the Haradrim and Orcs ,Nazgul etc.
So where were the Easterlings? were they cut out? Am I blind? or were they fighting in another part of middle earth and not a focal part of the movie?

jmurph
19-03-2005, 02:00
Maybe they got held up for questioning regarding Sauron's WMDs? *cue laugh track*

Seriously, who knows? PJ probably just had them in there as a visual and a nod to the readers.

the_yuk
19-03-2005, 21:42
Perhaps they forgot thy were in The Two Towers.

boogle
20-03-2005, 00:52
there is supposed to be a shot of some Easterlings going through the gates of Minas Tirith after Ghrond has broken through it

Baggers
20-03-2005, 12:08
If you look at some of the battle sequences the Easterlings are visiable in the Background of the fighting. I think however that the close shots were probably cut from the final release.

boogle
20-03-2005, 12:11
well according to the Atlanta Games Day, Easterlings are going toget their own book and plastic models, sometime in 2006, so thats when my money will get spashed out on LOTR (not that it hasn't already)

macbeth
21-03-2005, 10:14
I had heard (not sure, though), that they were cut because Peter Jackson needed to avoid fights between men for his film to be allowed for all publics. I know though that there were Haradrims...

Baggers
22-03-2005, 19:26
Yeah i have heard about the plastic Easterlings :(. Anyway I feel they were cut becasue the film was running overly long and they had to trim away somethings including the Saruman death sequence.

dindin
06-04-2005, 01:28
if you had seen the extended films the Saruman death sequence is there and its just like in the book for the most part. as for the Easterlings i think the Jackson thought that they were not all that importent so he just cut and i mean its not that big of a deal seeing that the movies still kick ass.

Inquisitor Engel
06-04-2005, 02:31
I had heard (not sure, though), that they were cut because Peter Jackson needed to avoid fights between men for his film to be allowed for all publics. I know though that there were Haradrims...
Well the Haradrim had the Mumakil, Mumaks are rather integral and important in the battle of Pellenor Field. To make them controlled by Orcs would have brought such uproar. More than the roar of getting rid of the warriors from Rhun.

the_yuk
06-04-2005, 08:04
I think theat they were just cut. Maybe they were in reserve waiting for the walls to be breeched, but ran away. Who know probably just a time thing for the movie.

Tynesh
06-04-2005, 12:13
They were cut because the Movie Executives did not want to hve the 'heroes' fighting other humans, especially considering that they were called Easterlings. It was thought that they may cause offense to the Asian markets etc if they were seen to be the enemy.

In fact I cannot recall an occassion in RoTK where you actually see and human enemies being killed. The Pelannor is all orcs, trolls, fell beasts and the Nazgul.

No wait there is a bit of Legolas killing Haradrim, but this is mainly the Mumakil being attackeed. Still itis mostly heros versus the Orcs of Mordor.

Since the Haradrim are so called there was less of a problem with them being killed.

Baggers
06-04-2005, 21:07
What about Eomer spearing the Mahud of the Mumikal, or the fact that several of the Haradrium archers kill Riders of Rohan. Plus the whole Mumikaks being under the control of evil.

Hideous Loon
07-04-2005, 10:48
And there's the scene where the Army of the Dead overwhelms the Corsair ship. But there may be a lack of killing, though.

Baggers
07-04-2005, 16:28
It also deals with censorship as well, becuase real human blood, generally gets a film a higher rating than normal. Hence why all of the Alien films got 18 certificates as they included blood, but AVP got a 15 certificate because there was minimal to none in human blood loss.

The pestilent 1
18-04-2005, 02:03
so a vast whelter of orc blood (see: lurtz, im sure his arm spurts?!) is ok, but human blood is bad.
ok then :confused: